Why blizzard makes previous content obsolete

2 theories:

1: They lost so many subs that they want to keep players doing current content so it feels like the game is populated because everyone is doing the same content and aren't being split up doing previous tiers like raids for gear.

2: They have no idea what they are doing because each time they make previous content obsolete they run themselves into this dilemma where they timegate everything so people don't steamroll through the new content too fast because blizzard makes previous content obsolete by adding updated gear that is easy to acquire in the new patches.

I like how people argue that older expansions like BC had time gating but they forget to mention that those expansions didn't make previous content obsolete so you had things to do, and when I say content I don't just mean raids,professions were useful to level and pvp was good. Isle of quel'danas was amazing and im willing to bet the mechagon dungeon won't be even half as difficult as heroic magisters terrace.
    Last edited by dmitriy138; 2019-06-26 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmitriy138 View Post
    2 theories:

1: They lost so many subs that they want to keep players doing current content so it feels like the game is populated because everyone is doing the same content and aren't being split up doing previous tiers like raids for gear.
    Yeah Wrath lost so many subs that they were forced to make Ulduar and below obsolete.

heroic magisters terrace was some good times. I remember having to LOS the courtroom pulls with all those spellcasters and tank them in the corner then move them to another corner LOS when they used their red bubble zone. Heroic MgT was my favorite dungeon in BC and I was a prot pally tank, shattered halls was #2. I think mechagon dungeon will be hard for the first week until people get down the strats just like it was in the karazhan dungeon in legion for pug groups it was really hard but for groups of friends on voice it wasn't as bad but still a little challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhan View Post
    heroic magisters terrace was some good times. I remember having to LOS the courtroom pulls with all those spellcasters and tank them in the corner then move them to another corner LOS when they used their red bubble zone. Heroic MgT was my favorite dungeon in BC and I was a prot pally tank, shattered halls was #2. I think mechagon dungeon will be hard for the first week until people get down the strats just like it was in the karazhan dungeon in legion for pug groups it was really hard but for groups of friends on voice it wasn't as bad but still a little challenging.
    I quit legion pretty fast. Did people even have to cc in that new karazhan?

The huge difference ia that Ulduar was raid and not a daily questing zone accessible by everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    The huge difference ia that Ulduar was raid and not a daily questing zone accessible by everyone.
    Post was suppose to be sarcastic (thats what happens when you don't put a /s at the end of it) but the point stands that after Ulduar, they would add dungeons alongside raids that would get you raid ready without having to do past raids. According to one of the two theories OP posted would mean Wrath hemorrhaged subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Trial of the Crusader (the Dungeon) invalidated most content before it
    Nope because it didn't give you every piece of gear slot, plus tier set bonuses>ilvl upgrades.

thing is, you could buy current tier set pieces for daily hc badges in wrath...and other gear that was comparable to raid gear.
    some where even Bis because the raid had no good alternative in that slot.

and the PvP bosses in Wintergrasp dropped current tier- or PvP-set pieces while half the raid could be dead and still down them.

Nope because it didn't give you every piece of gear slot, plus tier set bonuses>ilvl upgrades.
    You didn't have to rep grind or raid sarth, malygos, or naxx to get epic gear anymore. Between normal and heroic TOC you could easily farm epic gear, with heroic TOC dropping Ulduar level gear but taking a fraction of the time to clear.

2 theories:

2: They have no idea what they are doing because each time they make previous content obsolete they run themselves into this dilemma where they timegate everything so people don't steamroll through the new content too fast because blizzard makes previous content obsolete by adding updated gear that is easy to acquire in the new patches.

I like how people argue that older expansions like BC had time gating but they forget to mention that those expansions didn't make previous content obsolete so you had things to do, and when I say content I don't just mean raids,professions were useful to level and pvp was good. Isle of quel'danas was amazing and im willing to bet the mechagon dungeon won't be even half as difficult as heroic magisters terrace.
    Worh mythic+ and scaling WQ your whole post is non sense. They do not make previous content obsolete for the average players. If anything they make prior content obsolete less now than ever before.

I quit legion pretty fast. Did people even have to cc in that new karazhan?
    Nope.
    Legion made 5-men relevant (which was somehow good), but it was through timed runs rather than hard completion. It's more about how many trash you can skip and how many of the remaining you can AoE at once without dieing.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Nope.
    Legion made 5-men relevant (which was somehow good), but it was through timed runs rather than hard completion. It's more about how many trash you can skip and how many of the remaining you can AoE at once without dieing.
    Which is why I have grown bored of m+, I want dungeons to be hard, not gear dependant. Realistically, you will hit a gear wall before anything mechanically.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    So they can sell their new flavor of the year expansion to you, prefering the player to move to the new paid for content, discarding the old. But that was a travesty as the older content is still a perpetual world of awesomeness. Which has led to the Classic situation, I feel. Players still appreciated the original WoW content and wanted to hang out there instead. How Blizzard will do new flavor of the year expansion's with Classic will be an interesting conundrum to witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Post was suppose to be sarcastic (thats what happens when you don't put a /s at the end of it) but the point stands that after Ulduar, they would add dungeons alongside raids that would get you raid ready without having to do past raids. According to one of the two theories OP posted would mean Wrath hemorrhaged subs.
    On the other hand WotLK had the badge system so you could get catch-up gear and a few new pieces by running the dungeon content from 3.0 despite overgearing it by a few tiers.

Because people don't want to play the old shit as current content forever. They want to move on and treat everything released previously as a placed for collectibles and easy farming of stuff.