Thread: [Movie] Mulan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Not wild that they seem to be turning her into a super hero mega-martial artist action warrior.
    She was just a regular girl trying her best to save her father.
    Not Xena, Warrior Princess.

Oh hey, they actually got the MC's race right instead of randomly casting a black actor for "muh diversity".

Looks decent too, compared to the rest of the live action remakes being awful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Not wild that they seem to be turning her into a super hero mega-martial artist action warrior.
    She was just a regular girl trying her best to save her father.
    Not Xena, Warrior Princess.
    ...did you even watch the original film? She WAS a good martial artist by about halfway through.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ...did you even watch the original film? She WAS a good martial artist by about halfway through.
    When exactly did she fight an army of people alone?
    I recall her cleverly causing an avalanche and using fireworks to beat her enemies.
    Not a sword.

She was a capable, and clever, warrior by the end of training; not Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    When exactly did she fight an army of people alone?
    When exactly did she fight an entire army alone in that trailer?

Imagine being so mad that you make shit up to argue against.

Smile

At 1:11 in the trailer:

You know, something that didn't happen in the original movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Cradix View Post
    At 1:11 in the trailer:
    Thank you. Imagine being so blind you think others are mad.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine being so mad that you make shit up to argue against.
    Please get semantic and argue that this isn’t an “entire army”.
    Love when people have to resort to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Saw the trailer during the Women's World Cup final. Reaction was meh, Disney is becoming a little overbearing with all these re-makes. They're obviously targeted towards children but eventually the parents that have to take those kids are going to get tired of watching the same stories over and over.
    Parents always get sick of watching the same stories over and over. Nothing Disney does or does not do is going to change that. Kids re-watch their favourite shows obsessively. At least this gives them an occasional break from yet another marathon session of Paw Patrol.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Yup. Disney is creatively bankrupt. Only thing the suits want is money. They're only "remaking" their animated films because of the brand recognition, yet they can't invest the effort to actually make their remakes good or differentiate them from what they're adapting.

What kind of propaganda will they shove into this film?
    Except Disney has still been putting out new movies.

People just love to hate though I guess.

No songs no thanks.

Also remakes in general are shitty cash grabs, dont support them.

7+ Year Old Account
    It looks really bad.

....Or atleast it does not really look like its going to tell the Mulan story. Sure, it might be a fun kung fu, swordfighting movie, but is the mulan story is not about a female badass, but a woman who wins because of courage and tenacity. It seems like they are making her into a secret kill-bill the Bride character and that is just so cliche....
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, no songs, no mushu, and so sign of chien po, yao and ling.

PASS!!

Seriously, those where some of the best parts of the movie. What made the original movie work was the combination of serine Chinese style backdrop and characters, with the comedic elements thrown in at times when the story needed it.

combined with the serious moments.

By making the story overly serious, your not giving any real homage to the classical.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    No songs no thanks.

Also remakes in general are shitty cash grabs, dont support them.
    the only disney remake I saw was 101 dalmatians, which came out long before this massive trend started we have now, and maleficent, though I regret doing so.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Saw the trailer during the Women's World Cup final. Reaction was meh, Disney is becoming a little overbearing with all these re-makes. They're obviously targeted towards children but eventually the parents that have to take those kids are going to get tired of watching the same stories over and over.
    You don't have kids, do you? Kids will sit there and watch the same show/movie over and over and over again and over and over and over.

10+ Year Old Account

Excuse me but did YOU see the original? The original showed her training with the other soldiers, and struggling, but she managed to overcome the limits of her strength with tenacity. She wasn't ever in a real hand to hand combat incident, but used other methods of winning a battle, like using a flare to cause an avalanche to kill Shan Yu's army, and then in the final battle against him spent it running away from him and dodging him, before pinning him with a sword and mushu firing off the fireworks at him.

Your having to make stuff up to try and win an argument for something you clearly either never saw or remember it badly.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh hey, they actually got the MC's race right instead of randomly casting a black actor for "muh diversity".
    lol, well mulans Chinese, not white, so of course they wouldn't race change her there. Its only the white disney characters they will consider changing to other race, because thats okay!
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    People asking for a copy paste of the animated movie? Why do you just wanna see a movie rehashing what already exists?

I understand if you like it thats cool, I loved the original animated movie too and it's there for me to enjoy, if I wanted to watch that i'd watch that.

The reason I hated every single other Live Action Disney remake was because they DID copy + paste it all. Every complaint I have had against every live action remake was that it was pretty much like watching the animated versions with live action characters. I do not want to see that, because I have seen it...

I wanna see some risks and some differences. The live action Disney reboots can be a great way to try and give us a mature storytelling with kids still in mind. Rather than the same rehashed dated commentary.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-07-08 at 12:09 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

So, ummm what exactly are they going for with this? Clearly its not Mulan, since in the original, she wasn't this kung fu master with the skills of some one woman army. There is no Musho either from what I can tell, and her home is completely different then it was in the cartoon from an architect standpoint. Don't get me wrong, it looks like it could be an interesting movie, but a remake it is not. It looks completely different from a very basic point of view with a hint of steroids tossed in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    People asking for a copy paste of the animated movie? Why do you just wanna see a movie rehashing what already exists?

I understand if you like it thats cool, I loved the original animated movie too and it's there for me to enjoy, if I wanted to watch that i'd watch that.

The reason I hated every single other Live Action Disney remake was because they DID copy + paste it all. Every complaint I have had against every live action remake was that it was pretty much like watching the animated versions with live action characters. I do not want to see that, because I have seen it...

I wanna see some risks and some differences. The live action Disney reboots can be a great way to try and give us a mature storytelling with kids still in mind. Rahter than the same rehashed dated commentary.
    I would want a remix. A movie that follows the same path with a few twists and turns thrown in. Maybe different characters and interactions or a new twist. Suddenly having her a war hungry, master of all, one woman army with zero ancestral guidance along the way is just a complete change. Its like the World War Z syndrome. Source material and remake share nothing but a name. Their ancestors was a Huge thing for them in the original. They had a temple for them and they spoke with them. Musho was entirely their connecting line. That major thing seems to be completely gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Were there black people in China? And gay people? Are they represented in the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    This is the first live action Disney remake that doesn't look like garbage but I think it depends on if Mushu is in it or not and if he is they better not pull a will smith genie and paint a guy red.
    This, also now i got a red painted, joke cracking Jack Black in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    You don't have kids, do you? Kids will sit there and watch the same show/movie over and over and over again and over and over and over.
    I have a niece. Yeah, I know. That's bad enough without Disney recycling all their old movies for more repetition at the movies instead of coming up with new ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post

I would want a remix. A movie that follows the same path with a few twists and turns thrown in. Maybe different characters and interactions or a new twist. Suddenly having her a war hungry, master of all, one woman army with zero ancestral guidance along the way is just a complete change. Its like the World War Z syndrome. Source material and remake share nothing but a name.
    I understand that too, familiarity is important you do not want to alienate people too much from what they know. But let;s not forget that the 1998 Disney Mulan movie was very inaccurate from the real source material and Chinese legend of Mulan. So I am seeing this new movie as a more closer and better represented movie (hopefully). I really don't wanna see songs and misrepresented comic relief.

On a side note speaking of horrible misrepresented comic relief. ... I personally never liked Mushu as a character, mainly because I am not a fan of Eddie Murphy outside of his Beverly Hills Cop movies. So a movie with out him is fine with me. He was merely put there as your stereotypical comic relief, which was very common since Aladdin came along, every movie since then tried to have it's own Robin Williams :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I can't believe this is the second thread in a week I have to say this in, but discussions about race and gender politics are not allowed on this subforum. These discussions are offtopic and belong in GenOT.