Upgrading Processor

I currently have an I5 6500 processor that I am looking to upgrade.
    I my motherboard is a ASUS LGA1151 DDR4 DisplayPort HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 H170 ATX Motherboards H170 PRO Gaming.
    What is the latest generation of processor that will fit that socket, I mainly play warcraft so I would like an I7 or better.

10+ Year Old Account
    10 characters

If you go for a 7xxx processor be sure to update your BIOS to the latest version first as a lot 100 series motherboards don't support 7th gen processors out of the box without a BIOS update. Also since your motherboard is not a Z or X series motherboard only get a K series processor if it's for some reason cheaper than the non K version. The K series version will work just fine but you won't be able to take advantage of it's ability to overclock.
    Last edited by alzoron; 2019-07-19 at 11:48 PM.
    Signature not found

Thank you
    10 Characters

Also, here's the CPU support for your motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards.../HelpDesk_CPU/
    Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    If you go for a 7xxx processor be sure to update your BIOS to the latest version first as a lot 100 series motherboards don't support 7th gen processors out of the box without a BIOS update. Also since your motherboard is not a Z or X series motherboard only get a K series processor if it's for some reason cheaper than the non K version. The K series version will work just fine but you won't be able to take advantage of it's ability to overclock.
    Many of the K-series chips do, however, have higher base and boost clocks. So, if they arent too much more expensive, fsctor that in to your decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just tossing this out there...

A 7700K costs, what, $350? Wouldn't it make sense to get a new board and Ryzen 3600 or something for virtually the same price or less for better performance?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

A 7700K costs, what, $350? Wouldn't it make sense to get a new board and Ryzen 3600 or something for virtually the same price or less for better performance?
    Windows licensing could be a reason to hold back. Most Windows licenses are tied to the MB so swapping it out could mean that the person needs to buy a new license. That's about the only reason I can think of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Windows licensing could be a reason to hold back. Most Windows licenses are tied to the MB so swapping it out could mean that the person needs to buy a new license. That's about the only reason I can think of.
    It's only MOBO tied if you have an OEM key I think. Otherwise you get like 5 activations (and can just ask for more)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

Unless he can find a used cpu cheap. I agree, I would get a B450 Tomahawk MB and a R5 3600 for ~$350

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Windows licenses these days are tied to your Microsoft account. Though that's not always the case if the activation was a while ago.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Windows licenses these days are tied to your Microsoft account. Though that's not always the case if the activation was a while ago.
    If your on 10 you can convert it to a windows account.. Maybe 8/8.1 Plus 7,8 or 8.1 is a free upgrade to 10 anyways. Long as you have a legitimate key i never had an issue getting Microsoft to install even on a completely new pc with an old code

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Still doesn't work for OEM licenses - until they have changed their policies.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Still doesn't work for OEM licenses - until they have changed their policies.
    Mine worked when I switched out motherboards,just had to reenter the key to authenticate it.