Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    this deflection doesnt help you either .
    Not all too many countries have caning laws lol, instead they have murder or beatings by locals leaders which functions are the de facto law of a region.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    Except it isn't culture in the case of Indonesia, it's religion. Women don't face much hostility from buddhists here, at all. There's huge differences in how you're treated depending on what religion the person believes in. It was the same in narathiwat, muslims are more hostile to women than the buddhists there.

You can't claim it's not the religion when people from the same regions but belonging to different religions treat us very differently.
    It sounds like the culture of that specific sub-culture.

Outdated culture and society.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Not all too many countries have caning laws lol, instead they have murder or beatings by locals leaders which functions are the de facto law of a region.

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like the culture of that specific sub-culture.
    Show me an example otherwise it's nonsense

10+ Year Old Account
    Singapore will cane you for crimes we'd consider minor, nothing to do with Islam.

In Africa, several countries were trying to pass death penalty for gays.

And christian honor killings do happen, a catholic man married a higher caste christian woman and he was killed because of honour.

These issues are not ones of religion, but just of different cultures.
    I'd say that conclusion is fallacious, since our societies and cultural quirks are based on which religion was the most prominent in the area.
    My country is considered one of the most secular countries on the planet but the vast majorities of our customs, values and general outlook on life are still VERY much christian, since that's what we had for several hundred years.
    Last edited by Gungnir; 2019-08-03 at 01:03 AM.

Show me an example otherwise it's nonsense
    No, search it yourself. The fact you need to see an example of a woman being beaten or sometimes killed because of her either having sex outside of marriage, or eloping with a man just tells me you know very little about the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    I'd say that conclusion is fallacious, since our societies and cultural quirks are based on which religion was the most prominent in the area.
    My country is considered one of the most secular countries on the planet but the vast majorities of our customs, values and general outlook on life are still VERY much christian, since that's what we had for several hundred years.
    Christianity did not develop in a vacuum, it literally is shaped by culture, and all the different cultures bend and change Christianity to fit their culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Christianity did not develop in a vacuum, it literally is shaped by culture, and all the different cultures bend and change Christianity to fit their culture.
    Christianity was shaped by the culture in which it was founded, yes. Same as the culture in the region where Islam was founded shaped that religion aswell, and in return those religions shaped every region they touched from then on.
    Why do you think nearly every western society still has a taboo-like view on sexuality?

There is not a single person alive today that has values and ideals completely void of religious influence, because religion is the single largest driving force regarding societal structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Christianity was shaped by the culture in which it was founded, yes. Same as the culture in the region where Islam was founded shaped that religion aswell, and in return those religions shaped every region they touched from then on.
    Why do you think nearly every western society still has a taboo-like view on sexuality?

There is not a single person alive today that has values and ideals completely void of religious influence, because religion is the single largest driving force regarding societal structure.
    Religion though can be replaced with anything that is ideological including even science.

7+ Year Old Account
    Religion though can be replaced with anything that is ideological including even science.
    It could be replaced with scientism but not science. Religious rules or behavior(s) is about what people ought to do. Science is about what is. Can't get an ought from is.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It could be replaced with scientism but not science. Religious rules or behavior(s) is about what people ought to do. Science is about what is. Can't get an ought from is.
    Science and methods to arrive at a conclusion can differ. People do not always agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indonesia isn't really a shithole though...
    After 100 lashings you'll say Indonesia is the best place ever.

No, search it yourself. The fact you need to see an example of a woman being beaten or sometimes killed because of her either having sex outside of marriage, or eloping with a man just tells me you know very little about the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

No evidence , so you are full of empty arguments

10+ Year Old Account
    Just as an aside for clarity -- the original article says this happened in the province of Banda Aceh (they may have just missed a comma). Aceh is actually the province and it shouldn't be taken as representative of Indonesia as a whole or even Indonesia's Muslim population. Per the Wiki: "Granted a special autonomous status, Aceh is a religiously conservative territory and the only Indonesian province practicing Sharia law officially."

A related article on other whippings in the province gives a bit more information: https://news.yahoo.com/indonesias-ac...105936229.html

In particular:
    Rights groups have slammed public caning as cruel, and Indonesia's President Joko Widodo has called for it to end, but the practice has wide support among Aceh's population.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

No evidence , so you are full of empty arguments
    There are two reasons why you don't know about this.

1. You do but are just wanting a source anyway which is a waste of time.

2. You don't and truly are just that in the dark and not well learned about other cultures teaching you is a waste of time.

I've linked many a things in the past go dig through my posts.

There are two reasons why you don't know about this.

1. You do but are just wanting a source anyway which is a waste of time.

2. You don't and truly are just that in the dark and not well learned about other cultures teaching you is a waste of time.

I've linked many a things in the past go dig through my posts.
    If it's not trouble then why not provide it in the first place oh wait there isn't any.

Cut the passive aggressive tone you are not even capable of reading the op not alone educate others.

Let me repeat it again for your small brain : the law is based upon Sharia ,zina is the term here, aka religion based.defend it all you want but it is what it is an opressive ideology.
    Last edited by niztheundead87; 2019-08-03 at 03:31 AM.

If it's not trouble then why not provide it in the first place oh wait there isn't any.

Cut the passive aggressive tone you are not even capable of reading the op not alone educate others.

Let me repeat it again for your small brain : the law is based upon Sharia ,zina is the term here, aka religion based.defend it all you want but it is what it is an opressive ideology.
    Well frankly it is such common knowledge (at least to me) that I find it rather silly. You can also just google it. It is like if I claim a small sect of buddhist set themselves on fire sometimes to protest and you're like "I don't believe you you're full of shit prove it" and I'm like... this is so common you should know and if you don't I'm not going to teach you, go google yourself.

Small brain? I'm sorry but the only one here showing their utter lack of any critical thought is not I.

Do they follow a religious law? Yes. Why do they? Culture. Did the culture set the way they follow the religion? Yes.

There are many other muslims in Indonesia who don't act the same so this appears to be a cultural issue within a specific area.

Well frankly it is such common knowledge (at least to me) that I find it rather silly. You can also just google it. It is like if I claim a small sect of buddhist set themselves on fire sometimes to protest and you're like "I don't believe you you're full of shit prove it" and I'm like... this is so common you should know and if you don't I'm not going to teach you, go google yourself.

Small brain? I'm sorry but the only one here showing their utter lack of any critical thought is not I.

Do they follow a religious law? Yes. Why do they? Culture. Did the culture set the way they follow the religion? Yes.

There are many other muslims in Indonesia who don't act the same so this appears to be a cultural issue within a specific area.
    Worst deflection ever

Wrong

Wrong again

And again

Once more

So not only you defend women whipping but anti gay laws

7+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? Criticizing Indonesian culture would still be a criticism of Islam, since the majority of the country are Islamic adherents.

That's most likely because the other Muslims are less religious. If the regions/people who are less adherent to Islam end up act better, then it's almost like Islam is the problem.

Worst deflection ever

Wrong

Wrong again

And again

Once more

So not only you defend women whipping but anti gay laws
    Literally none of this disproves me. Exactly what is it I am wrong about?

It is a fact that culture shapes religion, that sub-cultures shape their region. There is no question about that.

The religion is a tool, a tool used by a community to bring them together, and it is only enacted and upheld by the very culture of the region.

Also how IN THE FLYING FUCK DID YOU JUMP to that fucking weird ass conclusion that I now defend anti gay laws? What the fuck are you talking about?!

Explaining that things happen due to culture not religion now means I am defending the actual acts?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Who cares? Criticizing Indonesian culture would still be a criticism of Islam, since the majority of the country are Islamic adherents.

That's most likely because the other Muslims are less religious. If the regions/people who are less adherent to Islam end up act better, then it's almost like Islam is the problem.
    You say they're less religious, many themselves would say they aren't... the difference in behaviour of people within the same religion often just comes down to sub-cultural differences.

Is Christianity to blame for honour killings when they happen within a christian community?

Literally none of this disproves me. Exactly what is it I am wrong about?

It is a fact that culture shapes religion, that sub-cultures shape their region. There is no question about that.

The religion is a tool, a tool used by a community to bring them together, and it is only enacted and upheld by the very culture of the region.

Also how IN THE FLYING FUCK DID YOU JUMP to that fucking weird ass conclusion that I now defend anti gay laws? What the fuck are you talking about?!

Explaining that things happen due to culture not religion now means I am defending the actual acts?

- - - Updated - - -

You say they're less religious, many themselves would say they aren't... the difference in behaviour of people within the same religion often just comes down to sub-cultural differences.

Is Christianity to blame for honour killings when they happen within a christian community?
    Because you claimed it happens only in the regional culture but you forget what you post yourself.and hence I provided evidence that proves you wrong since it happens elsewhere too.talking about critical thinking when you probably ignore the basic factor of that the law is a SHARIA law not a cultural law.they do it in other places too.so yes you are wrong

7+ Year Old Account
    IDK for sure, I'm just saying my guess is that the more religious places act more barbaric.

Is it about religious honor? If so then obviously yes the religion inspired the person to kill.