Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Meme circulating social media

For the past week now, this meme has been circulating social media. It is typically been posted by those who are against gun reform laws, speak of the white oppression/discrimination, are quick to bring up gun-related deaths in Chicago & Detroit as proof that gun laws don't work, and blame liberals for all the problems in the world. What this meme doesn't address is how many of these people shown here committed murders of 4+ people in a "regular homicide" where all those in the house were gunned down? How many other people were injured besides the 4+ that are dead? How many of these people went on a rampage and slaughtered 4+ people out of a fit of rage?

I'm not going to answer all those questions because I don't have the numbers/facts to bring up since I don't know all of those people's names. What I do know is the answer to how many were injured is nowhere near the number that have been gunned down by these gunmen doing these mass shootings like the ones in Gilroy, El Paso, and Dayton and all the other mass shootings. What I do know is the fact remains that the majority of those gunmen (and I do use the gender specific gunMEN because all but 1 of them in the past 20+ years has been male) are white. What I do know is that the nearly all of them are Republican/conservative/RIGHT-leaning. The people posting this meme have struck down comments by me and others who have brought up similar comments that I brought up here. They do this because they are using this meme to further their agenda that white people are being oppressed/discriminated against/blamed for these shootings. They do this because what is said to them doesn't fit their agenda that sensible gun laws don't work. They do this because they are afraid or unwilling to admit the truth to themselves or others that the problem lies in conservative/Republican/RIGHT-leaning folks not the LEFT.

I will be the first to admit that yes I do have an agenda on a lot of the posts I make. That agenda is equality for every person alive. That agenda is basic human rights for everyone out there. That agenda is not discriminating against others for any reason what so ever. That agenda is spreading love to everyone (even if that means calling out the bullshit others spew).

I had to unfriend someone I've known since 7th grade because of this meme. I came to the realization that she has changed very much since I knew her back then. I didn't unfriend her because of the views she holds but the ignorance she has towards other views and the fact she wants to censor anyone who doesn't share her views. Its sad but this is the state of the country we all live in now.

**EDIT**

And to clarify, I'm referring to situations like 4 killed 1 injured (total of 5 people shot) in a gang-related shooting in Chicago while 3 killed with 12 injured (total of 18 people shot) in Gilroy OR 6 killed 0 injured (total 6 people shot) in a drug-related shooting in Los Angeles while 20 people killed 22 injured (total 42 people shot) in El Paso OR 4 killed 0 injured (total 4 people shot) in a domestic violence situation in Detroit while 10 killed 27 injured (total of 37 people shot which actually broke down to 14 of the injured were shot within 30 seconds of the first shot being fired) in Dayton.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2019-08-08 at 10:34 PM. Reason: fixed directions & added info

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    They do this because they are afraid or unwilling to admit the truth to themselves or others that the problem lies in conservative/Republican/left-leaning folks not the right.
    I am very confused.....

Interesting how they choose mostly blacks when most of the random mass shootings are mostly white men.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Interesting how they choose mostly blacks when most of the random mass shootings are mostly white men.
    Chicago says hello. By definition it is black men.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I am very confused.....
    I got my left & right mixed up. The rest of it is correct so I'm not sure why you are confused....

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I can tell, the source of debate around that meme lies on the definition of "mass shootings". How you define it will end up influencing the shooters' make up

I saw the meme somewhere, but it's generally in reaction to the "there have been more mass shootings than days in this year". Most of their political affiliations are unknown, and as said most of the shootings are just person conflicts with 4 wounded or such rather than what most people think of in "mass shooting". I'm sure you assume all the white people are Republicans, but do you then assume that every person of color in the photo is a Democrat and label that left-wing-violence? Of course not, most of these people probably didn't have a strong enough opinion to be a left or right.

I can't read the corner, and don't care to look for it, but I assume this isn't really just from this year since the one is the Parkland shooter I think. Likewise there's a literal sketch...

The photo is pointless, but opposing the photo is likewise pointless. Even in your reply you ask about 4+ deaths, but "mass shooting" is 4+ INJURED, so who knows? Since these aren't all the cases, no way to tell ratios, let alone compare it to percentage of population to determine a racial breakdown (I'm sure you could research one anyway and massage the data however you want) and try to shift blame to some race.

Though, all the data does clearly point to men as the vast majority.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    As far as I can tell, the source of debate around that meme lies on the definition of "mass shootings". How you define it will end up influencing the shooters' make up
    That's just the thing. When people talk about "mass shootings" they are these incidents where people open fire on a group of innocent bystanders like in Gilroy, Dayton, Columbine, El Paso, Las Vegas, etc etc etc. They aren't talking about "crime-related shootings". The people who are circulating this meme are trying to detract from the fact that nearly all of these mass shootings all fit the same description for the shooter.

Gaslighting at its finest.
    Is anyone surprised? Really?

Welcome to American media. They don't care about blacks killing blacks, that's old news. They only focus on the white shooters cause black shooters are just not selling subscriptions and ad space, cause like I said no one cares when a black man kills multiple black people.
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I support the other side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Over all statistics and reports like any and everything else, taken out of context means nothing. It's mostly meant to appeal and convince those already needing a reason to believe whatever nonsense.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just the thing. When people talk about "mass shootings" they are these incidents where people open fire on a group of innocent bystanders like in Gilroy, Dayton, Columbine, El Paso, Las Vegas, etc etc etc. They aren't talking about "crime-related shootings". The people who are circulating this meme are trying to detract from the fact that nearly all of these mass shootings all fit the same description for the shooter.
    What is a crime-related shooting?

What is the source of contention? Is this about some of the shooters being white supremacists, ergo, let's sell a narrative that white supremacy is an alerting and growing concern in the US?
    Cause if that's the contention, it doesn't surprise me the other side cherry picks mass shootings to be just an event where a certain number of victims (and over) as their definition.

I mean, according to the Scopes review - and granted I'm not fully in on the details - it's the El Paso shooter that seems to be set in stone as white supremacist nut. They list 6 shooting, 3 whites, 2 non and 1 undetermined.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    Welcome to American media. They don't care about blacks killing blacks, that's old news. They only focus on the white shooters cause black shooters are just not selling subscriptions and ad space, cause like I said no one cares when a black man kills multiple black people.
    The issues we're most talking about are mass shootings were a person goes and kills people for absolutely no reason other than to cause harm, or for terrorism.

Gang violence really is not included in that nor are people really in danger from it unless you're in a gang or live in a very very bad neighborhood.

The mass shootings that grip the nation you know schools, events, and such are done specifically as an attack on the public not targeted attacks against rival gang members.

Are the people of Chicago not innocent bystanders?

10+ Year Old Account
    I got my left & right mixed up. The rest of it is correct so I'm not sure why you are confused....
    That's what it was. I've seen recently people claiming the Ohio shooter was left/antifa and wasn't sure if you were trying to associate him with the left too.

But since that's cleared, I agree with what you posted.

Anything to defend white nationalist mass shooters huh

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    What is a crime-related shooting?
    Crime-related shooting is your drug deals, drug deals gone bad, gang on gang violence, and the such. When a person goes out of their way to directly attack the public's innocent bystanders is what people are referring to as a "mass shooting".

The issues we're most talking about are mass shootings were a person goes and kills people for absolutely no reason other than to cause harm, or for terrorism.

Gang violence really is not included in that nor are people really in danger from it unless you're in a gang or live in a very very bad neighborhood.

The mass shootings that grip the nation you know schools, events, and such are done specifically as an attack on the public not targeted attacks against rival gang members.
    Thank you for stating what I was talking about. Gang violence & drug related crime has some sort of ties to the person who is shot. Realistically they only have their self to blame for any injuries or death that arises from those sorts of things. And before someone chimes in with "but the innocent bystander who isn't in a gang or wasn't involved in the drug crime got shot too", it was their choice for associating with someone who is in a gang or involved with drugs to a point that gun violence can/does get involved. The only innocent bystanders in those situations are the minor children of the drug person or gang member who gets shot as a result of living with the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Most of it is gang violence and/or drug-related crime. But yes, those who have no affiliation with gang members or drug people who get mowed down in a shooting in their church, school, home, concert they're attending, or work would be innocent bystanders.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Seems no one can agree on what should be counted or not with "Mass Shootings" Mother Jones (till today in an earlier thread never heard of them) does not count them *gang related but Stanford University does and so did the news station.
    CBS 2 Chicago defines a mass shooting when at least four people are shot, not counting the shooter. The station does not differentiate if the shooting involves gangs.
    https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/08...iolence-apply/

Thank you for stating what I was talking about. Gang violence & drug related crime has some sort of ties to the person who is shot. Realistically they only have their self to blame for any injuries or death that arises from those sorts of things. And before someone chimes in with "but the innocent bystander who isn't in a gang or wasn't involved in the drug crime got shot too", it was their choice for associating with someone who is in a gang or involved with drugs to a point that gun violence can/does get involved. The only innocent bystanders in those situations are the minor children of the drug person or gang member who gets shot as a result of living with the person.
    That's quite a bit of victim blaming you have going on there. AFAIK the majority of gang violence takes place in public places, this isn't a matter of an innocent bystander willingly associating with a gang member than any other victim of a mass shooting is at fault.

This infographic is simply an example of the Left's logic being turned back against them. When Islamic terror events happen people are quick to bring up a slew of "right wing terror" attacks that go under-reported to run interference. Now that people are talking about white conservative mass shootings it's only fair to point out these other crimes that qualify as mass shootings but go under-reported because their demographic doesn't fit the narrative.

But the huge number of 280 or w/e IS citing crime related shootings. You cant cite that number then say this picture is bogus because it has gang related shooters in it.

Im not saying YOU are saying that, just pointing it out.
    READ and be less Ignorant.