View Poll Results: How many lore heroes will N'Zoth kill?

Voters
142. This poll is closed

62 43.66%

20 14.08%

23 16.20%
  • 3+

37 26.06%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How many lore heroes will N'Zoth kill?

One of the KEY ways to make a story compelling is to allow villains to achieve MAJOR and PERMANENT long term goals. Things that really damage the lives of the heroes. A great way to do this is to allow villains to kill heroes. It is permanent and final. It should be 1v1 on even ground to demonstrate the villains are strong. For example, the death of Varian was utterly wasted and worthless because Gul'dan has vastly superior numbers. Varian was alone. Plus, Varian intended to die in self-sacrifice. All of this robbed the event of building up the credibility of Gul'dan. Varian's death meant NOTHING to the story which is a shame. But terrible writing is terrible writing. M'araad died in self sacrifice to superior number as well, and that ALSO robbed the event of any meaning.

So, let's review the major villains of each expansion and how many lore heroes they actually killed 1v1 in the expansion itself.

vanilla: Cthuun - 0
    BC: Illidan - 0
    Wrath: Arthas - 0 (this was especially embarrassing writing, as technically Arthas defeats us, then they wave a magic wand and erase it)
    Cata: Deathwing - 0
    MoP: Lei-Shen - 0
    WoD: Archimonde - 0
    Legion: Sargeras - 0 (made a pathetic flailing swipe at the Vindicaar in his cinematic just to drive home the point he can't kill anyone)

So now we come to BfA. How many lore heroes will N'Zoth kill?

Remember, off-screen doesn't count. For the kill to have emotional impact, it must be 1v1, no self sacrifice, and demonstrate the villains awesome power.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    One of the KEY ways to make a story compelling is to allow villains to achieve MAJOR and PERMANENT long term goals. Things that really damage the lives of the heroes. A great way to do this is to allow villains to kill heroes. It is permanent and final. It should be 1v1 on even ground to demonstrate the villains are strong. For example, the death of Varian was utterly wasted and worthless because Gul'dan has vastly superior numbers. Varian was alone. Plus, Varian intended to die in self-sacrifice. All of this robbed the event of building up the credibility of Gul'dan. Varian's death meant NOTHING to the story which is a shame. But terrible writing is terrible writing. M'araad died in self sacrifice to superior number as well, and that ALSO robbed the event of any meaning.

So, let's review the major villains of each expansion and how many lore heroes they actually killed 1v1 in the expansion itself.

vanilla: Cthuun - 0
    BC: Illidan - 0
    Wrath: Arthas - 0 (this was especially embarrassing writing, as technically Arthas defeats us, then they wave a magic wand and erase it)
    Cata: Deathwing - 0
    MoP: Lei-Shen - 0
    WoD: Archimonde - 0
    Legion: Sargeras - 0 (made a pathetic flailing swipe at the Vindicaar in his cinematic just to drive home the point he can't kill anyone)

So now we come to BfA. How many lore heroes will N'Zoth kill?

Remember, off-screen doesn't count. For the kill to have emotional impact, it must be 1v1, no self sacrifice, and demonstrate the villains awesome power.
    Uhhhh sir... Sargeras did kill someone.... His Legion Army led by Gul'dan, killed Varian... as well as Y'Sera... by Xavius. Your Logic is incorrect. Technically the baddie of MoP was Garrosh and he blew up Theramore... Pissing off Jaina. Illidan was not the final baddie btw as his story was to help us, he has not reason to kill us, Kil'Jaedan was the bad boy. And... besides the Retcon, wasn't Kel'Thuzad the last baddie in Vanilla? Oh and Deathwing had a hand in "killing" the immortality of the Dragonflights.

Even though you say Varian died with intention, Gul'dan was being led by Sargeras, the blood is on Sargeras, not Gul'dan, there is death in every story, just not how you depict it, it could be death by different means.
    Last edited by kaiba1; 2019-08-10 at 07:38 PM.
    Kaiba, Vengeance Incarnate
    Level 120 Demon Hunter - Garona, US
    Havoc Specialization
    Level 31 Hunter - Mankrik, US
    Catch me live on Twitch.tv @Kaiba12

I think asking for sargeras 1v1 varian/maraad/voljin is just silly, tho they could do better on building characters and especially villains.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao dude, villains don't need to kill others directly.

Their armies and factions, on the other hand, do waaay more damage.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    0. Unless someone sacrifices themself to stop him.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

yikes. thinking you need violence to tell a compelling story. someone needs to read a book

Quote Originally Posted by kaiba1 View Post
    Uhhhh sir... Sargeras did kill someone.... His Legion Army led by Gul'dan, killed Varian... as well as Y'Sera... by Xavius. Your Logic is incorrect. Technically the baddie of MoP was Garrosh and he blew up Theramore... Pissing off Jaina. Illidan was not the final baddie btw as his story was to help us, he has not reason to kill us, Kil'Jaedan was the bad boy. And... besides the Retcon, wasn't Kel'Thuzad the last baddie in Vanilla? Oh and Deathwing had a hand in "killing" the immortality of the Dragonflights.

Even though you say Varian died with intention, Gul'dan was being led by Sargeras, the blood is on Sargeras, not Gul'dan, there is death in every story, just not how you depict it, it could be death by different means.
    I don't think you read my post. I specifically ruled out Varian because it was far from 1v1, with Gul'dan having an army behind him, and it was self sacrifice anyway. The writers destroyed the emotional impact of Varian's death by doing that. They wasted Varian. Gul'dan didn't get a clean kill. It was tainted. So it did NOTHING to build up Gul'dan.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Arthas killed plenty of heroes before... Uther, Antonidas, Sylvanas, Anasterian.

Sargeras killed Broxigar.

Illidan didn't have to kill anyone, he dealt with villians, such as Tichondrius or Magtheridon.

And I don't agree that Varian death was a waste, because thanks to him plenty of people could run away - Genn also.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2019-08-10 at 07:56 PM.

I don't think you read my post. I specifically ruled out Varian because it wasn't far from 1v1, with Gul'dan having an army behind him, and it was self sacrifice anyway. The writers destroyed the emotional impact of Varian's death by doing that. They wasted Varian.
    If N'Zoth kills any heroes it won't be 1v1 either. Old Gods have vast armies too you know.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

M'araad died in self sacrifice to superior number as well, and that ALSO robbed the event of any meaning.
    Maraad died to Blackhand, who was outnumbered himself.

And I disagree with the general tone of this post. Most of WoW's villains have not had the long-term goal of dueling faction leaders, nor do they need to do so to have credibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you read my post. I specifically ruled out Varian because it was far from 1v1, with Gul'dan having an army behind him, and it was self sacrifice anyway. The writers destroyed the emotional impact of Varian's death by doing that. They wasted Varian. Gul'dan didn't get a clean kill. It was tainted. So it did NOTHING to build up Gul'dan.
    This aint about Gul'dan, i said the blood is on Sargeras' hands because hes leading the march of the Legion across Azeroth, why do you think Sargeras' easily just threw him away at the Nightwell, Sargeras' could have easily been like, "Hey your dying but Im gonan give you immortaility because im a bad-ass"
    Kaiba, Vengeance Incarnate
    Level 120 Demon Hunter - Garona, US
    Havoc Specialization
    Level 31 Hunter - Mankrik, US
    Catch me live on Twitch.tv @Kaiba12

I think you severely misinterpret the death of Varian and how Gul'dan was portrayed. It served to perfectly illustrate Gul'dan's character. He is a coward and a pawn who had overwhelming power on his side. He is exactly what a broken always mistreated malicious and vengeful person turns to when given power. Along with his build up in other media like the audio stories and the character profile on youtube, he is one of the better villains we faced.

But I do agree that killing heroes (in a dramatic way) is a good method to solidify villains.
    Last edited by Trumpcat; 2019-08-10 at 08:03 PM.

A good way to make story non-compelling is to give villains clean kills. Villains don't make clean kills. They plot, they backstab, they have no mercy, they make sure they have overwhelming odds.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, you're one of those people. Making it seem like your thread is about heroes dying, when in fact it's about bad writing. Hey! Just like your thread!

I'd love to make a similar thread where I make some stupid rules, then talk down on anyone pointing out my flawed rules. Seems like fun!
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Zero. Though I hope he kills dozens of the fuckers, if not all of them. Sadly he's just an old god. So the damage he'll do is negligible.

5+ Year Old Account
    If its gonna be 0, then N'Zoth weak af and we not in need to be afraid of him (power level stray dog?)
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

Technically, we had the most on-screen good-guy character deaths in Legion.

Varian, Vol'jin, Tirion, Ysera and I guess some I forgot (I did all the classes except Wlock, but I don't rly remember more).

Thing is, you can't look at Gul'dan or Sargeras as singular entities for a 'villian'. The 'villian' was the Legion as a whole.
    Obviously Sargeras (as the main bad) wasn't going to be 1v1'd by any lore character, hell not even our own.

As for the question: I hope N'zoth takes out Magni at least. That said, Magni has literally no powers so it would be underwhelming. I would love him to kill Jaina and Thrall already, but I guess they didn't re-hire Metzen for 2 content patches only. So bummer.
    Last edited by Garymorilix; 2019-08-10 at 08:27 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Technically, we had the most on-screen good-guy character deaths in Legion.

Varian, Vol'jin, Tirion, Ysera and I guess some I forgot (I did all the classes except Wlock, but I don't rly remember more).

Thing is, you can't look at Gul'dan or Sargeras as singular entities for a 'villian'. The 'villian' was the Legion as a whole.
    Obviously Sargeras (as the main bad) wasn't going to be 1v1'd by any lore character, hell not even our own.

As for the question: I hope N'zoth takes out Magni at least. That said, Magni has literally no powers so it would be underwhelming. I would love him to kill Jaina and Thrall already, but I guess they didn't re-hire Metzen for 2 content patches only. So bummer.
    Legion went to the Harry Potter-Game of Thrones School of "Kill 'em All." And it honestly didn't move me a bit. A character I knew for about 15 minutes with a great story arc moved me in more in Legion than any of those characters you rattled off.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh there was definitely emotional impact especially the voice acting from Varian but it did suck he died in that way pretty lame.

On the next episode of "looking for things to be angry about in WoW".

I think it will be 0, especially if you want "direct kills" N Zoth is an old god, they don't go around with daggers killing people. He's probably sitting in some under water crypt with his tentacles. Do I think this is a problem? Nope