Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    At least the prequel left a positive legacy in the form of memes. Although one could debate whether being remembered for its ridiculous aspects is actually positive for movie.

I am not sure the new trilogy will even get that treatment.
    To be honest I am a bit sad for the actors. Daisy Ridley and the others have a hard time to shine with that horrible writing.
    The problem I've always seen with the prequels is that there was no one who said no or questioned Lucas on a serious level. It's not just Lucas, when you start delving into any movie or franchise, the best ones always tend to be ones where the director was constrained by their team or just by budget/operation constraints. When it comes to the prequels, you can see it in the behind-the-scenes content and commentary that no one ever stood up to Lucas and said "Yeah, that execution of that character/script line and that idea? It's terrible and you should rethink it or scrap it!" When you don't have a voice of reason, this is how you get midi-chlorians and Jar Jar. It's very rare that you get an unfiltered product from a director with free license to do whatever they want and it comes out good.

Now about the OP's video: it could very well be true that the older characters/models/etc. were shelved for the new trilogy for merchandising (might have even been part of the right's deal with Lucas), but that probably has little bearing on why the new trilogy is as it is. Story structure, plot, and scripting are not merchandising, and those were what leave a sour taste in most people's mouths. Disney could've made really great new characters supported by a great movie trilogy, and that would've generated tons of revenue in terms of merchandising. Considering that this discussion is even taking place likely means that not everyone agrees that the new characters are on the same level as the old ones. I'd still point the finger at Rian Johnson when it comes to where the current trilogy is after TLJ, as the only movie that most people here probably even don't know he wrote/directed of any note is Looper. Disney should've stuck with someone who had a proven track record, but I'm sure somewhere they realized that there's enough people who will watch anything with a label of Star Wars.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    At least the prequel left a positive legacy in the form of memes. Although one could debate whether being remembered for its ridiculous aspects is actually positive for movie.

I am not sure the new trilogy will even get that treatment.
    To be honest I am a bit sad for the actors. Daisy Ridley and the others have a hard time to shine with that horrible writing.
    Memes and at least some original designs and relevant aliens...

Making it even more of a human vs human conflict with the only significant display of aliens as haughty and snobbish war profiteers ridiculously echoes some post WW1 slogans... at least they did not reprise crooked nosed Toydarians...

I am almost missing the ridicule of Binks and the Trade Federation here...
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

The funny part is, none of this would've happened if the sequel trilogy took place in time when original characters had long since ceased to exist.
    Instead, they just had to go "look how superior OUR characters are than the original".

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    The funny part is, none of this would've happened if the sequel trilogy took place in time when original characters had long since ceased to exist.
    Instead, they just had to go "look how superior OUR characters are than the original".
    Its all due to them wanting to minimize risks, reprising designs, characters and even actors : gears on nostalgia fueled sequel full throttle, first having their new cast ride on the old one than fly on their own.

Of course what it showcased instead is that they were severely lacking in creativity. For all its ills and pillaging other's works, Lucas was at least able to deliver on World Building.

I too really don't understand why they did not go into a far future sequel with a brand new cast, with maybe some being a great grandchild, the 2 droids and some Force ghost.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    But that is exactly what they have done, all the old characters are either dead or going very shortly.
    Not because of the reasons given.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Memes and at least some original designs and relevant aliens...

Making it even more of a human vs human conflict with the only significant display of aliens as haughty and snobbish war profiteers ridiculously echoes some post WW1 slogans... at least they did not reprise crooked nosed Toydarians...

I am almost missing the ridicule of Binks and the Trade Federation here...
    The only significant alien displays in the prequels were Gunguns (ridiculously dumb and tribal), whatever Watto was (ridiculously greedy and stereotypical of certain peoples), the Trade Federation goons (also ridiculously dumb and stereotypical of a certain race), and the diner owner, who was a greasy diner owner, in episode 2. You have a few random aliens elsewhere, but they're not really looked at in depth despite, say, being Imperial Senators or Jedi Masters. I'd say the prequels pushed aliens into weird, subservient roles more than anything else, and didn't focus at all on the ones with power or insight or cunning.

- - - Updated - - -

Its all due to them wanting to minimize risks, reprising designs, characters and even actors : gears on nostalgia fueled sequel full throttle, first having their new cast ride on the old one than fly on their own.

Of course what it showcased instead is that they were severely lacking in creativity. For all its ills and pillaging other's works, Lucas was at least able to deliver on World Building.
    I like how when JJ did TFA, people screamed about lack of creativity, and when Rian Johnson took the trilogy in unexpected directions, with actual characters arcs that deviated from their traditional norms, people screamed, "How dare you?!? Luke would NEVER DO THAT. He's an old man who has NEVER CHANGED SINCE HE WAS IN HIS MID-20s!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resheph View Post
    Disney is only finishing the job that Lucas already started. The franchise was almost killed off by the awful prequel trilogy and only kept alive through toys.
    Let's be clear, the rot set in during the OT was even wrapped. Even ignoring the Star Wars Christmas Special (and we shouldn't), there's the changes Lucas made to RotJ to consider; the original plan was to set the finale on Kashyykk, with Wookies fighting Storm Troopers. Tell me that wouldn't have been epic.

Instead, Lucas decided he wanted to sell more toys to an even younger crowd, made the Wookies into midget teddy-bear versions, and flipped the syllables in their name; Wook-ie became e-wok, and bam, Ewoks. That's how little effort he put into the change.

Ewoks were the Gungans of the OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Are you for real?

Star Wars being shat on was nothing to do with Disney.

Mr Lucas did a perfectly fine job crapping all over it himself when he decided he wanted to make more money, dismissed the entirety of the EU that he had licenced out and make mega bucks from for over 15 years, then retconning everything so he could make a fresh start with his own crap and make even more money.

Lucas ruined his own product, don't blame Disney.
    I thought it was Disney that vetoed the EU, not Lucas, it is Disney that made a resh start with Expisode 7. If it is then have you been blaming Lucas for Disney's actions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    Not only all of this, but they created the coolest goddamn Darth Vader scene in the entire saga at the end of Rogue One, made an ENTIRE FUCKING MOVIE about Han Solo, and they resurrected the Emperor for Episode IX.

But yes, they are intentionally killing the "old" universe.

Morons.
    The reason rogue one was good is it wasn't made by the same retards that do the main ones. I assume the same for solo.

They resurrected a beloved character because they know their movies are trash and uninteresting. It's free real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    The desperation of some "fans" is palpable.
    You can be a fan of a property without considering everything produced under said property good. I am a fan of wow I do not consider BFA good as an example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The thing you're forgetting is that these things were so poorly written that they didn't make sense. Forgetting even the midichlorians for a second, and the fanservice that was C3PO being built by Anakin, the whole purpose of the trade blockade, how the clone army was made, why the clone army was made, why the Jedi Council was so forcefully stupid (pun definitely intended), the actual weakness of Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, etc, were so unbelievably bad that they're still debated looking for some deeper logic behind them. As presented on screen, they made no sense. Palpatine's end-around on the Senate made no sense, the Jedi Council accepting a clone army out of nowhere made no sense, why Padme would ever be in a relationship with Anakin made no sense.

The whole trilogy was such a mess, that I'd say it added very little. It tried to add stuff - but failed spectacularly.
    The biggest thing the prequels did is show the vast vast size of the galaxy while disney wars has contracted it to the point a ship can now cross the galaxy at sub light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    The difference between Anakin and Ray is that Anakin was able to do stuff a normal human being wouldn't be able, because of his force affinity, and (Mary Sue) Ray was able to do Jedi advanced techniques with absolutely no training.
    Or simpler, Anakin was an enhanced human being because of the Force and Ray was a Jedi without even knowing it.

Apples to oranges. Anakin was far better written than (Mary Sue) Ray.
    This is fairly accurate and is the biggest issue even Anakin at the time had incredibly quick progression but Rey makes him look slow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    When Kylo invades Rey's mind, she invades his right back, in the scene immediately before she mind-tricks the stormtrooper into releasing her.
    The two keep having visions and interactions across interstellar differences afterwards, talking to each other.
    Snoke claims that the Force rebalances itself; that his and Kylo's rise to strength must, necessarily, be met by a champion of the Light.
    Snoke later admits he was tying their minds together. And we've seen that this was a two-way street.

It's really not that subtle. It's a major plot point.

This is headcanon that you made up. The canon we actually have to go by comes from Luke himself, who was familiar with the strength of his father, and specifically described Kylo and Rey as being the strongest Force users he'd ever known.

You're objectively wrong on this point.
    If it happened in disney wars that doesn't mean it's justified by previous lore. Anakin was literally conceived by the force. Making Rey more powerful because grrrl power is one of the bigger mistakes that dinsey wars has made along with basically killing luke and replacing him with Jake and having everything the rebellion fought for get reset to zero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    If it happened in disney wars that doesn't mean it's justified by previous lore. Anakin was literally conceived by the force. Making Rey more powerful because grrrl power is one of the bigger mistakes that dinsey wars has made along with basically killing luke and replacing him with Jake and having everything the rebellion fought for get reset to zero.
    You're not talking about canon. You're talking about stuff you made up in your own head, and how you want that to be true instead of canon.

Rey's stronger than Anakin. Luke said so. You can be angry about that, but it doesn't change that.

I'll also note we have literally no idea where Rey came from. Snoke implied the Force created her; he imagined the champion of the Light would be Luke, but Rey surprised him and came out of nowhere. She's the Anakin analogue of the new trilogy, not Kylo Ren.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    I don’t think it was a conspiracy as much as the original trilogy, and only episodes 4 & 5, was lightning in a bottle once in a lifetime thing. I mean come on, they went one movie without a Death Star and used teddy bears....

The first trilogy blew, 7 & 8 have been awful. The only good SW movie made since Empire was Rogue One.

Face it, it’s an impossible to top story and the “universe” is not that deep. Once you get beyond Vader and Skywalker (Now both dead/gone.) and their supporting cast no one new is able to carry the franchise.
    Revan, Malgus, Marr, Valkorian, Khem Val, Satele Shan, and Theron Shan would disagree. Oh, and cant forget HK-47. Fuck the skywalkers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're not talking about canon. You're talking about stuff you made up in your own head, and how you want that to be true instead of canon.

Rey's stronger than Anakin. Luke said so. You can be angry about that, but it doesn't change that.

I'll also note we have literally no idea where Rey came from. Snoke implied the Force created her; he imagined the champion of the Light would be Luke, but Rey surprised him and came out of nowhere. She's the Anakin analogue of the new trilogy, not Kylo Ren.
    Typical Mary Sue plot device. Anakin was trash, Rey is worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disney continues to kill off old characters by wanting to cast Ewan McGregor in new SW show.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/ewan-mc...rs-1202669319/

Oh wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    This is fairly accurate and is the biggest issue even Anakin at the time had incredibly quick progression but Rey makes him look slow.
    Hey but its cool that Luke learned how to be a fighter pilot in a couple of hours?

'By he knew how to fly T-16s!'

Yeah and being able to drive a car makes you a tank commander...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Revan, Malgus, Marr, Valkorian, Khem Val, Satele Shan, and Theron Shan would disagree. Oh, and cant forget HK-47. Fuck the skywalkers
    RETORT: And the people that make billion dollar movie ticket buyers say...

WHO?
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

I still need this stupid fucking conspiracy explained again.

Step 1: Kill off old characters.
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: MEGAPROFITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Like all the apoplexia over The Last Jedi, the same question applies: what were you expecting to happen in Act III with characters in the twilight of their lives?

No, seriously, answer the question. They show up, do awesome special effects-y things on green screen then walk offstage? What were you expecting?

Also, Leia is out because Carrie Fisher is doing a lounge act in Heaven. And it sounds like Mark Hamill may have the most pivotal role he's had since Empire as a Force ghost.

I'm guessing preferences for Prequels and lightsaber action scenes with minimal emotional or intellectual content. The world yawned, Lucas sold, learn to love halfway decent moviemaking.

I too really don't understand why they did not go into a far future sequel with a brand new cast, with maybe some being a great grandchild, the 2 droids and some Force ghost.
    Bringing the OT heroes back was the right move. Making them losers who failed to accomplish anything with their lives was the screwup, not bringing them back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    Bringing the OT heroes back was the right move. Making them losers who failed to accomplish anything with their lives was the screwup, not bringing them back.
    The old characters accomplished nothing?

They were all pivotal in taking down the Empire. Leia went on to be a strong figure within the Republic and successfully created the Resistance, the only thing that slowed down the First Order.

Han never wanted a spot in the limelight. He did his best to turn Kylo back.

Luke couldn't stop Kylo from becoming Kylo. But because he was one man trying to resurrect a failed order. He had enough sense not to continue the Sith breeding machine known as the Jedi Order. His final living act was saving the Resistance so that someone could defeat the First Order.

They did nothing...
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-08-16 at 03:50 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    No, seriously, answer the question. They show up, do awesome special effects-y things on green screen then walk offstage? What were you expecting?
    Memorable new characters to replace the old.
    But the only reason we remember any of the new characters now is because of how badly written they are. (And I remember Rey's name for that alone. I couldn't mention any other without looking them up)

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Lol - "kiddo" broke you? Is that even really name calling?

Do you know what head canon means? I submit that you don't based on this sentence.
    I hope you're having a great day!
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan