Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    We already fucked up the Middle East and Latin America, now you want to fuck up Asia to?

Didn't you learn anything by funding the Mujahideen, Contras, and so on.....?
    i don't want us to fuck with the middle east. but at least china is an existential threat to western society. if we leave ahmed alone, he'll keep to himself for the most part, china will NOT and they're only growing stronger.

to see china break apart would be a good thing. they wouldn't fall to the chaos of the middle east, because chinese people aren't driven by ancient ideologies that will never surrender. they will adapt and move on, and hopefully become something better.

hong kong and taiwan have both been treated wrongly for decades now. the evil communist leadership of china wants no freedom for anyone, is expanding and growing stronger, and needs to be brought down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Its a mass protest, sure, but even then its 6% of the population. You can't let them dictate policy for the rest of the 94%.
    Ok, then throw out ALL protests across the world. Like, 99% of them. Just because you said it is "only" few percent.
    Once more, half a million from 7.5 is incredibly high participiation. Do not forget that those 7.5 include children too who are not protesting.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    hong kong and taiwan have both been treated wrongly for decades now. the evil communist leadership of china wants no freedom for anyone, is expanding and growing stronger, and needs to be brought down.
    Yes it was so much better for Hong Kong that China lost the opium war and was brought under British control so the colonial powers could become even more wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    We already fucked up the Middle East and Latin America, now you want to fuck up Asia to?

Didn't you learn anything by funding the Mujahideen, Contras, and so on.....?
    I myself fairly left of center support strapping China down to a table and waterboarding them in the terms of Finance. Limit their people the ability grow and prosper in a globalized world and you will see large scale uprisings that will make Hong Kong problem seem like a fun weekend. Lets put their social credit system to the test and keep them so occupied on domestic problems that it will slowly and over time pushing business outside of China and more into Africa ( which is going to happen anyway mind you ) but at a rate in which China see's no gains.

You might be coming from a viewpoint of being fair, i am not. I do not want parity with China, i do not want equalization with them. I personally do not want war or armed conflict instead i want to use the monetary markets of the world to set them back to the stone age so that way social upheaval will push them to change and if it does not then they will have fired upon their own people making the case for economic warfare easier.

Does the US do terrible shit? Yes and will continue to do so but that terrible shit is more acceptable to me then China's tracking system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Ok, then throw out ALL protests across the world. Like, 99% of them. Just because you said it is "only" few percent.
    Once more, half a million from 7.5 is incredibly high participiation. Do not forget that those 7.5 include children too who are not protesting.
    To add on, the first mass protest amounted to about 2m people. To put it in perspective, the biggest rally for pro police/government was 26,000 people. Pro beijing is in the minority here by a long shot.

It's impressive, but I really feel for them. China is gonna torture and murder thousands of them at the very least and no other country will do a single fucking thing about it. Then future Chinese children won't even know it happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis
    The impact of China using the military in Hong Kong will likely be worse than the US/China trade war, and the Chinese is very much aware of this.
    Agreed, nor is there any need for them to do so. My guess, and it is purely a guess, is that this does provide a scenario for the armed police to train for, and for the sake of appearances it lets them show they are doing something.

Some of HK's wealthiest have started to weigh in because this is costing them money. I have a friend who just visited yesterday to take advantage of the sales. His comments were that the protesters he observed were generally peaceful but the hot shopping areas were dead. He was getting things for up to 80% off because the stores weren't doing any business and his evaluation was "this won't last long, otherwise a lot of people will be out of a job."

The HK police haven't used a fairly big hammer from their toolkit, although it has been discussed. If they start hosing down protesters with dye, that's going to jack up the pressure from their jobs and their families. Masks don't provide much annonimity when you've turned fuschia and try to go home. If there is another violent incident along the lines of the airport protests, the water cannons and dye may get deployed.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    I didn't know dye can be used in that way.
    I have no idea how widely it is used, but I've seen it discussed and know it is used for things like pepper spray: https://www.mace.com/products/kuros-...ay-with-uv-dye That one is 10% OC Pepper + UV Dye according to the link. Here is one using a visible dye: https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Red-Pep.../dp/B003BORC8A

My research capability is hamstrung right now, but: https://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/0...red-water.html
    You must have seen photos of protesters being doused with colored-water cannons by the police. Using water canon is understood as it’s an easy non-hazardous way to disperse mob, but why would police spray protesters with purple and pink water? Simple: to identify and arrest them later. Many water cannons on the market today come with a tank specially designed to store a semi-permanent colored dye. If police decide they want to "tag" protesters with the dye, they can press a button to inject it into the main water stream. Once the water cannon is trained on a crowd, anyone hit by the spray will be easily recognizable by police.

The most famous use of colored-water cannons took place in South Africa in 1989, when police soaked anti-apartheid activists with purple water. But in the ensuing chaos, one of the protester turned a water cannon back at police and towards the local headquarters of the ruling National Party. The headquarters, along with the historic and white-painted Old Town House, were doused with purple. The next day, a graffiti artist tagged the Old Town House with the phrase "The Purple Shall Govern," which soon became an anti-apartheid slogan.

During the last 15 years, protesters in Hungary, Indonesia, Argentina, Malaysia, India and Israel have all been showered with colored water. In Uganda last year pink dye was employed to humiliate protesters. In Israel, Palestinian rioters were sprayed deep blue, the colour of the Israeli flag. The Hungarian police use green, the Koreans orange. Indian police is particularly fond of purple.
    There's a brief write up on dye and water cannons.

Here's something showing that water cannons might be used: https://www.expressnews.com/news/wor...s-14297224.php
    Earlier Monday, Hong Kong police showed off water cannons that could be deployed, a development that Amnesty International has warned could lead to serious injuries if misused in the densely populated city.

Legislators and journalists were invited to witness the display of crowd-control tactics, which came after a weekend of protests at the airport and in one of Hong Kong's main shopping districts.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-08-16 at 10:31 AM. Reason: markup
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i don't want us to fuck with the middle east. but at least china is an existential threat to western society. if we leave ahmed alone, he'll keep to himself for the most part, china will NOT and they're only growing stronger.

to see china break apart would be a good thing. they wouldn't fall to the chaos of the middle east, because chinese people aren't driven by ancient ideologies that will never surrender. they will adapt and move on, and hopefully become something better.

Also, loads and loads of people will die. Well, lots of Chinese would. The evil communist leadership is a big enough threat to consider lots of innocents die and still call it a good thing, but not a big enough threat to risk Western lives, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    To add on, the first mass protest amounted to about 2m people. To put it in perspective, the biggest rally for pro police/government was 26,000 people. Pro beijing is in the minority here by a long shot.
    I really think they overinflated the numbers and the officials underreported them. 2 million would mean that basically every adult in working age went to protest, which is not realistic. But even then the number is still huge.
    These events usually have too many emotions to have objective reporting.

10+ Year Old Account
    If China decides to deploy force it will also be a disaster for them. China is dependent on foreign investment.

Despite the support of authoritarian leaders or wannabe's like trump. This would end rather badly for beijing, if they could have done so without mayor backlash. China would have moved in and deported all journalists and started cleansing much like they did i Tibet.

August 18 protest. 1.7 million people in heavy rain. Courtesy of Hong Kong Free Press.

This is the rare situation that both political spectrum of USA are on the side with Hong Kong.

Libertarian doesn't care, but at least they may want to use Hong Kong for a better leverage for trade deal.
    Nationalist does not like China flexing its muscle, showing off their nation's flag in your land, this happen quite often in Australia recently.
    "classical liberals" just want freedom and democracy, how can you not support Hong Kong?
    Progressives cannot side with fascist, and China is the biggest fascist state in the world, please don't tell me you still think China is communism today.

Neo-con, and Neo-lib may side with China purely for money, though... but who actually like those people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryqpMGQRaNY

i love how right he is.

the communist facists tear down the american flag because of what it stands for, and those that want liberty uphold it. this is what you can expect if these bastards take control get control in our government.

Trump should support the protesters in Hong Kong so he can ratchet up the pressure on China with his trade war and perhaps bring it to a close. I stand for the protesters as well, they need to show their independence from China and prosper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    Trump should support the protesters in Hong Kong so he can ratchet up the pressure on China with his trade war and perhaps bring it to a close. I stand for the protesters as well, they need to show their independence from China and prosper.
    Trump has publicly praised Xi as a good, magnanimous and effective leader.

I don't think that's going to happen.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Trump has publicly praised Xi as a good, magnanimous and effective leader.

I don't think that's going to happen.
    Maybe Fox and Friends can change his opinion there.

Very sad how China will beat them in submission. They will break these people until there is nothing left of their spirits. Thats how comunism works anyways. You brutalize people until they obey. Comunism is simply put the worst thing ever done by humankind.

Not sure what I would do if I was a Hong Kong citizen. Probably try to move out of there before China totally takes over.

Would be great if USA or/and Europe would help out Hong Kong, they need help.
    Last edited by Nefastus; 2019-08-20 at 03:50 PM.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    Very sad how China will beat them in submission. They will break these people until there is nothing left of their spirits. Thats how comunism works anyways. You brutalize people until they obey. Comunism is simply put the worst thing ever done by humankind.

Not sure what I would do if I was a Hong Kong citizen. Probably try to move out of there before China totally takes over.

Would be great if USA or/and Europe would help out Hong Kong, they need help.
    China is not really a communist nation, they are a mixed economic system similar to every other nation in the world. The difference is that they hold an authoritarian stern hand to make sure they maintain that control and the people atleast on the mainland appeared to be supportive of the way the government was going. I would suggest that the smart and able folks to leave as soon as possible but that is due to me and my hatred of the Universal credit idea. The only time you can see that something will suggest that they are strong enough to push back at the US is if they chose to expand out in the South China Sea so until that happens i doubt anything serious will happen excluding the poor souls stuck in Hong Kong. Do not forget it is the business leadership class that built this nation and they should be stuck with the brunt of cleaning it up.

To illustrate the importance of Hong Kong to China. Despite the political unrest and the protests, Ali Baba is trying to raise 10 - 16B from second listing in Hong Kong. Totally bizarre.

China can ill afford to break Hong Kong right now. It is still one of their most valuable cash cow.

If I am wrong, watch the stock market, not only in China, but the world over crash big time.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-08-20 at 05:02 PM.