GeForce thats not made by Nvidia

Hey guys, i wanna buy a new pc but i never understood the manufacturer brand name stuff.

I mean geforce cards are made by multiple companies and the question is what manufacturer is the best? If any difference at all, because the price isnt the same.

Can they be trusted or should i buy geforce made my Nvidia only?

TY
    Last edited by meheez; 2019-08-19 at 11:19 AM.

The Nvidia cards are usually called reference/founders edition cards, which is a design that the AiB partners use for.. well, reference.

AIB is an acronym for Add In Board as used within the video card industry. The 'graphics' part is implied by the industry context. An AIB supplier or an AIB partner is a company that buys the AMD (or Nvidia) Graphics Processor Unit to put on a board and then bring a complete and usable Graphics Card or AIB to market.
    The reason the price varies from card to card is because the AIBs design boards with either better power delivery, better cooling etc, and in some cases that allows them to add a factory overclock to the cards which basically means faster/more silent cards than the Nvidia reference cards.

Most of the AIB partners are safe to use, especially the bigger brands like Asus, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte etc.
    Key points to look out for is how good the cooler is. Some AIB cards have a fairly weak cooler on them to bring the price down. Its still a very usable card, but the cooler might be loud as a side-effect, and your overclock headroom will be small because of it.

More expensive usually means better. Figuring out how much better they are is the challenge when buying a graphics card, and thats what reviews are for.

As an example, I got Asus Strix 1080ti OC, which is a card with a much better cooler and a factory overclock compared to the Nvidia reference\founders card, but it also costs more.
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2019-08-19 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    The Nvidia cards are usually called reference/founders edition cards
    Thank you .

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Thank you .
    If you check this MSI page, you can see that they have a ton of different types of the 2080.

Aero is the basic blower-style cooler, made for small formfactor cases where airflow can be an issue.
    Ventus is the 2-fan design, which is ok but not groundbreaking.
    Duke, Gaming Trio, and Gaming X Trio are the 3-fan design cards, which usually comes with a factory overclock as well.
    The Seahawk is a watercooled/hybrid design made to be silent and very effective coolers, which allows for some good overclocking in most cases.

Most AIBs have their own versions just like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, i wanna buy a new pc but i never understood the manufacturer brand name stuff.

I mean geforce cards are made by multiple companies and the question is what manufacturer is the best? If any difference at all, because the price isnt the same.

TY
    What manufacturer is best? EVGA (for many reasons including their coolers and warranty)

Can they be trusted? Yes. They're all vetted (to some extent) by Nvidia, because they buy the GPU itself from them (The part the says Nvidia on it in the pictures below)

What is the difference? On the lower-end models of each card, it's just the cooler. On the higher end, most board partners also change up the PCB itself.
    For example, the MSI Lightning 2080ti: https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/games/PC/gu...ning-front.jpg
    And the MSI Gaming X trio 2080ti: https://tpucdn.com/review/msi-geforc...ront_small.jpg
    And here's the "reference" 2080ti from Nvidia: https://tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-gef...ront_small.jpg
    Do the PCB differences matter? To some extend. They allow for better efficiency in the VRMs and cleaner power to the GPU itself, which might allow for better overclocks, but mostly no.

- - - Updated - - -

If you check this MSI page, you can see that they have a ton of different types of the 2080.

Aero is the basic blower-style cooler, made for small formfactor cases where airflow can be an issue.
    Ventus is the 2-fan design, which is ok but not groundbreaking.
    Duke, Gaming Trio, and Gaming X Trio are the 3-fan design cards, which usually comes with a factory overclock as well.
    The Seahawk is a watercooled/hybrid design made to be silent and very effective coolers, which allows for some good overclocking in most cases.

Most AIBs have their own versions just like this.
    It's worth noting that the Seahawk design seems to be going away from hybrid and towards full on custom liquid cooling, they're selling a card with a custom block from EK pre-applied after all (Which you shouldn't buy AT ALL if you're not doing a custom loop, it dissipates fuck all heat without waterflow)
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-08-19 at 03:39 PM.

TY
    generally speaking the other brands will be nicer. They will have their own little upgrades. The "founder's" edition is the most basic version of the card you'll find.

Some of the brands are more highly thought of than others. It's mostly about the cooling solutions and power given to the card.

IMO the most important part is picking one with nice fans. Squeaky GPU fans will make u wanna kill yourself. And ordering the right replacements from china will also make you want to tear your hair out.

Key points to look out for is how good the cooler is. Some AIB cards have a fairly weak cooler on them to bring the price down. Its still a very usable card, but the cooler might be loud as a side-effect...
    And now I know why mine is so darn loud. I thought it was going bad and kept shutting down my computer when I was done with it (versus putting it to sleep) so I don't wear it out faster.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    And now I know why mine is so darn loud. I thought it was going bad and kept shutting down my computer when I was done with it (versus putting it to sleep) so I don't wear it out faster.
    What specific model card is it? It might be a bad fan

10+ Year Old Account
    The actual chip is always nvidia's. No matter what name is on the box or card.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It's worth noting that the Seahawk design seems to be going away from hybrid and towards full on custom liquid cooling, they're selling a card with a custom block from EK pre-applied after all (Which you shouldn't buy AT ALL if you're not doing a custom loop, it dissipates fuck all heat without waterflow)
    Ah, nice to know. And yeah, EVGA is probably the best manufacturer to buy from.

It depends.

With the addition of the founders cards nVida now bins the best chips for the founders cards.

BUT,

Nvida does not bin the best video memory, often the non-founder addition cards have better PCB's / power delivery and possibly if not likely stronger coolers.

I would say if you plan to custom water block then founders is for sure the way to go because you will have ultra cooling with the best binned chips. If you are keeping it stock often the improved PCB, better binned memory, and better power delivery can make them stronger than the founders but its a toss up based on silicon lottery. The better coolers are often stronger path to goodness in the non-founders.

In the end you are kind of rolling the dice on one side of the wall or the other. Usually for your standard user not much of a difference will be seen. A power user OCing might see a couple frames unless they hit the jack pot on silicon lotto.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2019-08-19 at 10:51 PM.

What specific model card is it? It might be a bad fan
    Nvidia GeForce 1060 GTX

Nvidia GeForce 1060 GTX
    Right, but which manufacturer and model.

Or is it the reference blower model from nVidia?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia GeForce 1060 GTX
    If it's the founders edition, the fans don't normally break, so you should be fine doing what you normally did. If you're running a 3rd party card we'd also need who made it and what name it is

If it's the founders edition, the fans don't normally break, so you should be fine doing what you normally did. If you're running a 3rd party card we'd also need who made it and what name it is
    This is what the Amazon listing says:

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-Fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what the Amazon listing says:

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-Fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card
    That card shouldn't have issues with fans either.. Cooler is a bit bad though, so probably just some fast fans. You could try downloading EVGA precision X1 and turning the fan curve down a bit, that might help with the noise

That card shouldn't have issues with fans either.. Cooler is a bit bad though, so probably just some fast fans. You could try downloading EVGA precision X1 and turning the fan curve down a bit, that might help with the noise
    Thank you for the advice! I'll give that a try.

What's all this hoo-ha about Allied Irish Bank ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    What's all this hoo-ha about Allied Irish Bank ?
    AIB means Add-In Board partner in this case. Basically third party designs with first party support
    (Yes I'm aware you're probably joking, but in case someone wants to know)