Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Layering will not even be a thing long before phase 2 starts. I suspect by the time most the population even gets to Stranglethorn, most layering will be gone.

Based on the OP's post, they obviously do not understand what layering is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Candfal9 View Post
    Normally I just ignore your posts because you tend to delete the account of any one who disagrees with you.

But this has to be the weirdest comment I have ever read here. How is it possible that temporarily allowing people to essentially use cross-realm transfer for weeks, building up a massive inventory of stupidly hard to items, does not need to be fixed? That will affect the classic economy for years.

It really amazes me the things that Blizzard loyalists say: this is very obviously not a good thing for everybody.

I think where you fail in your logic, is that you're equating "layer jumping" with how people used to realm hop in retail. And that's not how it's going to work at all.

Players are such morons. During the stress test, someone in General asked to be invited to another layer. I whispered him, how the hell does one do that. He replies, "just invite me to a group". I'm like, lol. OK. I did. He says in /party: "Nothing happened. I'm still in the same layer." I ran over to him, and there is he is. In my layer the whole time.

It's not going to be as easy as seeing a list of users from other servers in a LFG list and joining their group. What the player did in my example above, was just drop group, and kept spamming /1 looking for people to party with him, in the hopes he would get another layer.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I think where you fail in your logic, is that you're equating "layer jumping" with how people used to realm hop in retail. And that's not how it's going to work at all.
    That and, just because you switched layers doesn't mean you're suddenly going to be granted a shitload of extra ore / herbs / whatever else. The layer that you hopped into is going to be just as populated as the one you came from, and inevitably have more people farming the same thing that you're farming.

The way all these doomsayers talk about layering, you'd think that swapping layers immediately dumps a stack of black lotuses in your bag or something...

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't need fixing. It'll go away eventually when everyone fucks off from Classic. I don't care what your reasons are, I'm not going to be dealing with 500 people trying to kill my damn wolf on the way to Goldshire.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Why would I want to find him again? If anything I'd want to avoid him.
    This is why it's annoying to discuss layering with people who are used to retail. Having somebody you wanted to avoid brings a different, consistent type of danger to the world and along with it a bit of excitement.

The people who are saying layering won't affect you while simultaneously being totally fine not seeing the same person twice while leveling don't really understand the cool aspect of server community. Hell, I *still* remember the infamous gankers on my vanilla server--along with the people who strolled STV to kill the gankers. One of them in particular is a streamer now.

I'm rambling, but the point is having a consistent community is never a bad thing, even if it's "people you'd want to avoid." It all adds depth in a good way, in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    This is why it's annoying to discuss layering with people who are used to retail. Having somebody you wanted to avoid brings a different, consistent type of danger to the world and along with it a bit of excitement.

The people who are saying layering won't affect you while simultaneously being totally fine not seeing the same person twice while leveling don't really understand the cool aspect of server community. Hell, I *still* remember the infamous gankers on my vanilla server--along with the people who strolled STV to kill the gankers. One of them in particular is a streamer now.

I'm rambling, but the point is having a consistent community is never a bad thing, even if it's "people you'd want to avoid." It all adds depth in a good way, in the end.
    Is the "server community experience" important enough to entirely negate the very real possibility that a Classic launch without layering would be far more detrimental to its long term health? I really have never understood some players' desire to rationalize an inherently shittier version of the game in favor of romanticized musings of "the way it was."

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    never understood some players' desire to rationalize an inherently shittier version of the game in favor of romanticized musings of "the way it was."
    Dude...wtf

Server community is a thing? A major thing? A big thing?

Playing a entire Vanilla without server community is not worth playing.
    Yes, is that big of a thing.

Its mmoc community in nutshell, someone says that for them, server integrity, server personalities, communities etc does matter alot, that it was part of vanilla to know ppl on your server, now blizz takes that away and those ppl cant say anything without beeing offended. Great names of classic like Drakedog, shurrik, vurtne, shivan,laintime ware famous on their servers long b4 they started creating vids, cus they ware killing machines, oposite faction tend to spread info where they are to avoid or hunt them down.

With layering they said on the begining couple days, only in starting zones, and with more time they keep spreading range and time affected by layering, problem is they wont stop and if anyone look back at how blizz handles things u have to be 100% sure they wont do what they say they will.

So yea if someone is concerned with what blizz says and what blizz does they are valid points cus in the past they fu*** up so many thing and lied about even more...

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I got the simplest fix for layering. If you dont understand how it works and really think its gonna affect your gameplay, wait til phase 2. Just log off the forums, do something productive for 3 months, then come back. Problem solved.

It's not gonna have any significant impact and a month after its removed, no one will even talk abt it.
    do we know its gonna be 3 months? Thats a long ass time to wait for an honor system, worldbosses and diremaul..

Another 3months to bwl and i exepct even the hardcore classic crowd will ahve quit due to lack of content.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Is the "server community experience" important enough to entirely negate the very real possibility that a Classic launch without layering would be far more detrimental to its long term health? I really have never understood some players' desire to rationalize an inherently shittier version of the game in favor of romanticized musings of "the way it was."
    It's not "inherently worse." If you don't understand it, it's likely because you didn't play vanilla. Community was an enormous deal in vanilla (potentially the single biggest deal, honestly), and anyone who thinks putting systems in place that have a very serious effect on said community just fundamentally disagrees with me on where a community-based game's priorities should be.

It's more sad to me that people are so quick to toss aside the community aspect than anything else.

I like Blizzard's fix - it goes away once everyone moves out of the same tiny zone.

Within a month - it just won't be there any more.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    I know, layering bad, blabla, but: most of the issues with layering (like grabbing a second chest in Strangletorn and so on) can actually simply be fixed: You can only switch layers in a resting-area. So, when you want to switch a layer, and somebody invites you, you need to go to a resting area, only there you switch to the layer of the group. Is it inconvenient: YES, but inconvenience: that's classic!

With this, not only can this be fixed, things like Devilsaur-leather market and anything that is far far away from any possible resting area would not be affected by layer-switching.

We have already a cooldown for layer-switching, but when you can only switch layers in a resting-area, many of these issues people have with layering will simply not happen.
    There's zero reason to make it more obnoxious to swap to play with a friend. They already said it's a temporary filtering device to alleviate server stress and that the plan is to have it entirely gone by Phase 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

I know, layering bad, blabla, but: most of the issues with layering (like grabbing a second chest in Strangletorn and so on) can actually simply be fixed: You can only switch layers in a resting-area. So, when you want to switch a layer, and somebody invites you, you need to go to a resting area, only there you switch to the layer of the group. Is it inconvenient: YES, but inconvenience: that's classic!

With this, not only can this be fixed, things like Devilsaur-leather market and anything that is far far away from any possible resting area would not be affected by layer-switching.

We have already a cooldown for layer-switching, but when you can only switch layers in a resting-area, many of these issues people have with layering will simply not happen.
    Uhm no? I don't want to return to an inn so I can quest with a guild mate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Just so you know, you possibly will never meet the same people twice in the world on your entire leveling experience.

lvl 30 undead rogue named Assstabber killed you 2 days ago on Duskwood?
    Good luck finding him again when there is 10 different layers (or more) per server and you can switch layer every logout or break you take.
    How does the solution from OP fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    How does the solution from OP fix that?
    It doesnt...thats why im sad. Phase 1 leveling experience will be an inferior one.
    Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I got the simplest fix for layering. If you dont understand how it works and really think its gonna affect your gameplay, wait til phase 2. Just log off the forums, do something productive for 3 months, then come back. Problem solved.

It's not gonna have any significant impact and a month after its removed, no one will even talk abt it.
    Exactly!
    Besides, people dont think about how popular WoW is now, compared to back then.. I highly doubt you will feel lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by This One Time At Bandcamp View Post
    Exactly!
    Besides, people dont think about how popular WoW is now, compared to back then.. I highly doubt you will feel lonely.
    It will not feel lonely for sure.

But it will feel exactly the same as having sharding and cross realm technology. Exactly the same.

This random youtuber made this video...but its unlikely THIS will happen because of layering and you switching layers on every login everyday.
    The video makes no sense.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Players are such morons. During the stress test, someone in General asked to be invited to another layer. I whispered him, how the hell does one do that. He replies, "just invite me to a group". I'm like, lol. OK. I did. He says in /party: "Nothing happened. I'm still in the same layer." I ran over to him, and there is he is. In my layer the whole time.

It's not going to be as easy as seeing a list of users from other servers in a LFG list and joining their group. What the player did in my example above, was just drop group, and kept spamming /1 looking for people to party with him, in the hopes he would get another layer.
    As I understand layering that would never work as the people in /1 is on the same layer.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    That and, just because you switched layers doesn't mean you're suddenly going to be granted a shitload of extra ore / herbs / whatever else. The layer that you hopped into is going to be just as populated as the one you came from, and inevitably have more people farming the same thing that you're farming.

The way all these doomsayers talk about layering, you'd think that swapping layers immediately dumps a stack of black lotuses in your bag or something...
    I think they'll try to put you on the same layer as friends and guild mates in the first place if there is room for it. So it will probably be very hard to switch layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    It's not "inherently worse." If you don't understand it, it's likely because you didn't play vanilla. Community was an enormous deal in vanilla (potentially the single biggest deal, honestly), and anyone who thinks putting systems in place that have a very serious effect on said community just fundamentally disagrees with me on where a community-based game's priorities should be.

It's more sad to me that people are so quick to toss aside the community aspect than anything else.
    Pray tell, exactly what community will be left playing Classic if everybody's first experience is marred by widespread instability and spawn camping dickwads? Sure, maybe the 11 people in existence (all whom seem to be posting in this thread) who think that's "authentic" will stick it out but most will just get frustrated and quit altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Candfal9 View Post
    That's how realm hop works. Frequently you'll hop to a server where someone else has just farmed the area. It is still faster to move through realms than find another node on your own realm. It gives the hopper a huge edge.

Essentially what will happen is that realm hopping on classic is going to be viable for a short period-during which team organized farmers will monopolize a ton of otherwise difficult to obtain mats and control the economy for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it is almost like that was what happened in Vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

The point of classic is to resurrect the initial experience, good and bad, where there was a lot of instability and camping dickwads. If you don't want that then play retail. Blizzard have been trying to rectify all the "flaws" in the game for 15 years-they made it much worse and much less popular.
    It will be the same as vanilla. Layers will be the same population as a server was. So of 3k on a server, 3k on a layer. You will still be fighting for tags. Layering is there so when tourists leave, you are left with a healthy realm

- - - Updated - - -

Also, hopping layers isn't as advantageous as I think it is. If there are 6000 ppl on, that's 2 layers. U can hop to the other layer but chances are someone else already got the node. And even if u got it, that's still 2x resources, which is fine cause its 2x the population. Supply demand ratio stays the same

That doesn't fix the entire problem that it's trying to solve. 2000 people in the starting zone.

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    That doesn't fix the entire problem that it's trying to solve. 2000 people in the starting zone.
    Layering isnt meantvto fix that. Layering is meant to fix the tourist problem. If cap is 3000, dividevthat by 6 starting zones so on average, its 500 per starter zone. This will be a thing unless they decide to lower layers down to like 1000.