Poll: Gear

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Stuck in Low Quality Gear vs Flooded with Epics

Which gearing system do you prefer?

10+ Year Old Account
    But you are not stuck in low quality gear. You progress and get better gear from quests and dungeons.

The low quality gear... makes the epic drops feel incredible. Plus, no one is whining about ilvl and asking you to outgear a dungeon in order to run said dungeon.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the current Retail system because it gives a endgame for each different sector of the playerbase. Examples:

-High-end elite players will begin their progression with whatever comes from their first Heroic runs and end it when their gear allows their groups to defeat the most difficult challenge.
    -Extremely casual players begin with finally leveling to 120 and doing one LFR and looting some neat epic stuff, wihch is a huge upgrade for their playstyle.

Both will see several different faces of WoW: the world, the dungeons, the raids, even the Island Expeditions, but their adventures will be on dificulties more appropriate for their skill, instead of exclusing part of the playerbase through a possible singular difficulty gate (making it too easy like a Classic raid or too hard like a Mythic Retail raid).

But I understand why people would prefer the "Low Quality Gear" option.

15+ Year Old Account
    There should be an I like both option.

I enjoy how it works in Classic, but the way it works in BfA fits the style of this different game too.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Plus, no one is whining about ilvl and asking you to outgear a dungeon in order to run said dungeon.
    Of course they will. Its in their nature to want a run as easy as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Of course they will. Its in their nature to want a run as easy as possible.
    Oh yeah, it's nice to have a break from insanity of ilvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if i prefer either system really. I do feel like BFA's loot is too frequent, but gives you lots of options. Meanwhile Classic is sparse, but every time you upgrade it becomes very noticeable. That said, Classic is also not balanced in that epic doesn't even mean good all of the time, some blues straight up beat epics because of the fact there is no ilvl and no stat budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    Which gearing system do you prefer?
    One without false dichotomies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Retail version because Classic has such a shitty balance for its gear. "Oh look an epic... wait this is supposed to be good for me and it dropped in the raid? My level 53 blue shoulders I got from a quest are BiS though..."

"Oh yay a raid tier piece! Wait, what why does this give me Spirit when I'm a Warrior/Hunter/some other class that has no need for spirit?"
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

The title is dumb. You are not stuck at all. lvl1-10 grays / lvl10-15 whites / lvl15-30 greens / 30-60 blues / endgame raid-craft epics

It's called gear progression. And yeah, i prefer it a lot more than wearing full epic gear literally 1 week after BFA release.
    At lvl 26 i found my first necklace, it was amazing to finally fill that slot. Still don't have any trinkets

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC gearing. The itemization was fixed so you didn't have stats like spirit and strength on the same piece. Crafted gear was relevant, but gear was also tied to the level of content you did, at least until 2.4 when badge gear was the same as T6.

Retail jumped the shark awhile ago but it really was evident in Legion when you were handed a pretty good epic for cracking nuts for some fucking squirrels.

"Epic" doesn't even mean anything in retail anymore. The rarity of your gear literally does not affect its stats at all, the only thing that matters is item level. A green and purple of the same ilvl will have the same exact stats. It's fucking dumb.

Vanilla gearing makes you appreciate each upgrade you get, whereas in retail, every single piece of gear is "the same as what you had but with slightly more stats".

People get far too hung up on the color of the name of their item. People get excited about upgrades that is all that really matters. Is the item better or not. If it is awesome If it is weapon or weapon it doesn't matter.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

have to disagree with your description of the 2 systems...perhaps having to earn your gear vs welfare epics would have been more appropriate...also to the posters that complain about itemization in Classic...that's really a separate issue...and so far the only thing I have seen in regards to the Retail version of ilevel requirements is people looking for toons of a certain level to do runs...that being said did 2 RFC runs as a mage at lvl's 10 & 12.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    "Epic" doesn't even mean anything in retail anymore. The rarity of your gear literally does not affect its stats at all, the only thing that matters is item level. A green and purple of the same ilvl will have the same exact stats. It's fucking dumb.

Vanilla gearing makes you appreciate each upgrade you get, whereas in retail, every single piece of gear is "the same as what you had but with slightly more stats".
    Don't get hung up on the colors, vanilla/classic upgrades gear in the same ways, you go with what is best and move on. People are just so hung up on item colors, classic isn't immune to this there are lower level purple items or many blues that are worse than greens and any mixture of that. Use whats best and apply some thought into what you use, it is that simple. Epic or rare has never had anything to do with the stats on an item. At best you could get more stats on a rare item than a unique and equip them at the same level, the item level of the rare was always higher though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I'm about 10 times more excited about a green with int and spirit right now then I've been in the past year for titanforged mc destroyer of worlds mythic uber plus epic gear that gets thrown at me with such force on retail that they had to invent another way to disenchant it to make it feel less useless.

So yeah, I like for rarities other then "epic with high itemlevel" to feel impactful in my MMO.
    Last edited by Magicpot; 2019-08-29 at 11:24 PM.

Low quality gear. When everything is epic, nothing feels epic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    I'm about 10 times more excited about a green with int and spirit right now then I've been in the past year for titanforged mc destroyer of worlds mythic uber plus epic gear that gets thrown at me with such force on retail that they had to invent another way to disenchant it.

So yeah, I like for rarities other then "epic with high itemlevel" to feel impactful in my MMO.
    Hell, I was happy about some greys that I got.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    I prefer the current Retail system because it gives a endgame for each different sector of the playerbase. Examples:

-High-end elite players will begin their progression with whatever comes from their first Heroic runs and end it when their gear allows their groups to defeat the most difficult challenge.
    -Extremely casual players begin with finally leveling to 120 and doing one LFR and looting some neat epic stuff, wihch is a huge upgrade for their playstyle.

Both will see several different faces of WoW: the world, the dungeons, the raids, even the Island Expeditions, but their adventures will be on dificulties more appropriate for their skill, instead of exclusing part of the playerbase through a possible singular difficulty gate (making it too easy like a Classic raid or too hard like a Mythic Retail raid).
    This sounds like a sales pitch to corporate trying to get funding for the next expansion. Sounds ok on paper, doesn't translate well in game.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Hell, I was happy about some greys that I got.
    Yeah, me too - it's free silver, after all.

What, you mean like an actual upgrade? Not really. Once you leave the first zone and actually start getting greens, greys become typical vendor trash they are meant to be. Let's not kid ourselves that this supposedly amazing feeling will last past few double digit levels.