Poll: Meteor is heading towards Earth What should we do?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ok so a meteor is heading towards Earth...

Ok so a meteor is heading towards Earth it's a planet killer all life on our planet will die once it hits we have like 30 days left how would you rather we as the human race spend it?

Here are your options.

A. It was a great ride Throw a big Party everything is free, no laws everyone can live how they want to.

B. Come together and bring the best minds and resources on the planet together to come up with a way of stopping the meteor giving us a 40% chance to stop it.

C. Start digging myself a hole and build myself a shelter in that hole, chance of survival 48%
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-09-03 at 03:27 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

That's easy; however, the picture shows that if a meteor or asteroid whichever this is. Though, considering this is an artists rendition of a meteor/ asteroid entering an atmosphere. If this object were entering the atmosphere and we just not see it, especially if it is bigger than a truck. Well there's nothing that can be done about it. 70% of Earth's surface is water, so chances are large tsunamis, and quakes will form from the impact.

*Currently, we have no plan, no designated thing to stop any sort of meteor/asteroid. We have lots of drawn up ideas, and great things that can/could work though. The biggest problem is actually detecting one of these far enough away/ in advance to be able to send a rocket up with whatever object diverting mechanism we have. There still is a LARGE swath of items that completely go undetected that are planet, city, and continent killers.

The best idea is using some retro rockets or sails to nudge it away. It really doesn't take much energy but, at a far enough distance to change trajectories of objects in space. The dumbest or worst idea is just blowing the thing up. Blowing up a giant space rock is terrible because, instead of one piece, now there is about a thousand pieces going in multiple directions. Also, that debris most likely will hit Earth if blown to bits. Also, if it's an asteroid of which most are just tightly bound or loosely accumulated rocks and ice. So blowing it up won't really do much.

I would like to err on the side of actually building something on standby that can save us.

Come together to try and stop it? Looking at the current state of the world, that wouldn't happen.

Both the right and the left would be too busy blaming each other for it and refusing to cooperate in order to accomplish anything.

We have a lot of people who will refuse to believe it because "fake news."

We have a lot of people who will believe prayer is the answer or that this is God's judgment and we need to accept it.

North Korea will blame it on the US and say we're provoking them, and threaten to blow us up with a bottle rocket.

Don't see why it has to be an either/or. I'll party while the big brains work out how to save the planet. I'll also make sure I've got enough booze and drugs to render myself unconscious or dead before being incinerated if they can't stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Don't see why it has to be an either/or. I'll party while the big brains work out how to save the planet. I'll also make sure I've got enough booze and drugs to render myself unconscious or dead before being incinerated if they can't stop it.
    Watching the prevailing winds via CNN with scorching thousand degree heat coming from around the planet to get you. I'd get shitfaced. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Ok so a meteor is heading towards Earth it's a planet killer all life on our planet will die once it hits we have like 30 days left how would you rather we as the human race spend it?

Here are your options.

A. It was a great ride Throw a big Party everything is free, no laws everyone can live how they want to.

B. Come together and bring the best minds and resources on the planet together to come up with a way of stopping the meteor giving us a 40% chance to stop it.

C. Start digging myself a hole and build myself a shelter in that hole, chance of survival 48%
    So a planet killer meteor is about to wipe out all life on the planet and a hole in the dirt is going to give me a 48% chance of survival....? Is this one of the drills where you hide under your desk when the nuke hits?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    So a planet killer meteor is about to wipe out all life on the planet and a hole in the dirt is going to give me a 48% chance of survival....? Is this one of the drills where you hide under your desk when the nuke hits?
    1950's. "Duck and Cover" which is pretty funny considering Duck and Cover is the same exact tactic used for when there is a tornado drill, except if it's a nuke it should be changed to bend head under ass to kiss it goodbye. Look up the Turtle video from youtube. That's also, the same turtle they get the portrait for Mitch McConnel.

People coming together to help? lol i doubt it.
    Do you hear the voices too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D3ihri6o1M

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    People coming together to help? lol i doubt it.
    Also, you sig... It must be Yogg Saron.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D3ihri6o1M

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you sig... It must be Yogg Saron.
    Warhammer 40k Chaos quote guess you could have it as both though.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny thing is I do often dream about a single asteroid hitting the earth, its one of my more popular dreams.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Be as close to ground zero as possible so as not to suffer. Rather be vaporized/die instantly than to suffer from the fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Funny thing is I do often dream about a single asteroid hitting the earth, its one of my more popular dreams.
    Beats being turned into a zombie, or die from a disease contracted by other humans. At least we can witness the destruction on the news for a short time before it envelopes us.

Beats being turned into a zombie, or die from a disease contracted by other humans. At least we can witness the destruction on the news for a short time before it envelopes us.
    I never understood how a zombie outbreak would end the world. All you would need is a good suite of armor. A few contingents of knights could defeat a zombie outbreak.

Or riot police in full body armor.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-09-03 at 06:17 PM.

Send Bruce Willis up there with a nuke, Duh !

When I would be able to build a shelter and survive with a fifty percent chance then why wouldn't the rest of the world do that, too? And the impact can't be so bad then that there would be no life left on earth when a simple shelter would suffice.

I never understood how a zombie outbreak would end the world. All you would need is a good suite of armor. A few contingents of knights could defeat a zombie outbreak.
    A sword is not a good weapon in a zombie outbreak, especially a flaming sword. I still think a very tall building with many millions of pounds of food, ammo, water recycler, electric solar panels and so on. You're golden, block of things below and the zombies aren't going to get to you EVER!. Just be chillin above like, "Lets check the weather below today, "A high chance of wandering zombies and a beautiful sunshine, back to you Cotton"". Zombieland style, poppin caps, drinkin beers, and eatin Twinkies. I don't like twinkies but, sounds like fun target practice and a great life to me.

A sword is not a good weapon in a zombie outbreak, especially a flaming sword. I still think a very tall building with many millions of pounds of food, ammo, water recycler, electric solar panels and so on. You're golden, block of things below and the zombies aren't going to get to you EVER!. Just be chillin above like, "Lets check the weather below today, "A high chance of wandering zombies and a beautiful sunshine, back to you Cotton"". Zombieland style, poppin caps, drinkin beers, and eatin Twinkies. I don't like twinkies but, sounds like fun target practice and a great life to me.
    I would use a mace / morning star myself, which some knights did use. Bonus, effective against armor if I needed to fight another human and had no ammo / gun.

True about the tall building. I would restrict access to any building to a rope / rope ladder which can be pulled up or cut if necessary.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-09-03 at 06:29 PM.

B seems most likely. Despite pessimism surrounding our ability to "come together", I imagine most great minds would be more interested in figuring things out than engaging in petty squabbles.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I would use a mace / morning star myself, which some knights did use. Bonus, effective against armor if I needed to fight another human and had no ammo / gun.

True about the tall building. I would restrict access to any building to a rope / rope ladder which can be pulled up or cut if necessary.
    Not sure about a morning star, them spikes could get lodged into the skull or the receiving zombie and create some problems where, you the would have to leave your trusty "Skull Cracker" and proceed to jump up the rope or quickly claim the ladder. Though, if having armor on no one is climbing any vertical ladder if it is steel armor. Maybe if it's light leather with steel small steel plates for agility and lightweight. Need one of them buildings with an outer elevator with the windows busted out, so one can shoot as you hop in and shoot back the zombos while ascending the tower. Anything that spins with sharp objects attached is a very good mechanism for defense. Barb wire and fences, not so much, also electricity probably does not work since they're already immune.

This could be a great book man, I like the sounds of this beginning already. Call it the adventures of Tate and Jork (York) like a viking name. Tate would have the be the burly bulky gruff guy with a greasy mustache, and Jork would have the be scrawny, malnourished, genius of a human engineer.

Sounds pretty flippin amazing to me.

- - - Updated - - -

A small satellite with enough fuel for retro thrusters to slowly ease it off course. We've established now that at least Japan and ESA European Space Agency can land on moving bodies. I 10000% believe that the big 5 space programs could easily scrounge up the money, design two different craft, build, deploy and launch. Take at least a year to get to wherever this thing is because, we would need to be able to see it at least more than 9 months out. From launch just to get to Mars alone takes 9 months and that's with the closest Earth Mars approach path.

Assuming this was at random, and we discovered it just from the Asteroid belt. This asteroid would more than likely take a few years to get to us. Which means, we would need to design, build, and launch, then wait for the craft to land on the surface of this object to be able to do anything. At minimum over 1 year to even do that. That in itself is an EXTREMELY long amount of time to be able to deflect an space object.