Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    They are releasing 5000 greeter style employees this year because, they raised wages last year. So I am certain it will balance out just fine. Sometimes, I don't mind the greeters, I usually say nothing to them anyway.
    The extra dollar an hour that is still far from a decent wage, is zero reason to lay off a single employee. Nor is this decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Walmart is big enough to absorb the hit, but it will be a hit no question - that was poor commerce and not even particularly good PR. Absolutely nobody in "cancel culture" would ever condescend to shop at Walmart or admit it if they did, and they won't start because of this. The only reason this won't be as damaging as Dick's is because you can get cheap groceries and prescriptions at Walmart.
    They at least acknowledge their indirect role in America's gun obsession and did something about it. Getting guns from Walmart has been a meme for years, especially the easy access to ammo part. I'm all for the just do something.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Tenlo View Post
    Care to explain why they wouldn't and aren't even worth looking into?
    Well for instance this guy failed a background check nd still got a gun and killed people. What would have stopped him?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Well for instance this guy failed a background check nd still got a gun and killed people. What would have stopped him?
    Ok fair point. Maybe we should look into why the background check failed in this instance and maybe make it better and if that means take longer to have a more thorough check is that acceptable?
    Or should we just be like
    "whelp it failed let's do nothing and see if that helps version" 3242

The speed limit was 30mph and that failed to decrease speeding. So lets set the speed limit to 20mph because that makes sense...?

Ok fair point. Maybe we should look into why the background check failed in this instance and maybe make it better and if that means take longer to have a more thorough check is that acceptable?
    It "failed" because there isn't a required check for private sales. There was no failure of background checks, the check that occurred worked.

It's not a valid or remotely honest argument, and is functionally, "Well the law won't prevent ALL crime, so let's not even bother!" Which, if that's a viewpoint that someone holds then they should advocate for the elimination of ALL laws, as none prevent all crimes...because that's not what they're designed to do to begin with.

"whelp it failed let's do nothing and see if that helps version" 3242
    That's very much the position of the Republican party and conservatives. Still.

He got his gun legally through a private sale... You know the gun show loophole that people have been trying to get closed for *squints* 26 fucking years.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It "failed" because there isn't a required check for private sales. There was no failure of background checks, the check that occurred worked.

It's not a valid or remotely honest argument, and is functionally, "Well the law won't prevent ALL crime, so let's not even bother!" Which, if that's a viewpoint that someone holds then they should advocate for the elimination of ALL laws, as none prevent all crimes...because that's not what they're designed to do to begin with.

That's very much the position of the Republican party and conservatives. Still.
    Yea I was curious what lockedout was gonna say. I've been lurker here a long time ahah.

So how can we have a check for private sales? Only way I can think of is having a gun registry so gun ownership can be tracked which would go over swimmingly and if someone sold a gun and doesn't report it's new owner harsh fines and maybe jail time.

But we can't do that cuz reasons.

Yea I was curious what lockedout was gonna say. I've been lurker here a long time ahah.

So how can we have a check for private sales? Only way I can think of is having a gun registry so gun ownership can be tracked which would go over swimmingly and if someone sold a gun and doesn't report it's new owner harsh fines and maybe jail time.

The terrible thing about background checks in the US is that if they cannot find anything within 3 days, people automatically pass the check. Considering most gun sale records are kept on paper, its almost impossible to actually get a completely accurate background check currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Walmart is big enough to absorb the hit, but it will be a hit no question - that was poor commerce and not even particularly good PR. Absolutely nobody in "cancel culture" would ever condescend to shop at Walmart or admit it if they did, and they won't start because of this. The only reason this won't be as damaging as Dick's is because you can get cheap groceries and prescriptions at Walmart.
    There's really been no evidence that Dicks lost any significant amount of money from their stance on guns. I've yet to find an article that actually makes the case - they have headlines that I'll quote, "Dick's Sporting Goods Shifts From Guns Even as Sales Suffer," "Restricting Gun Sales Cost Dick's $150 Million Last Year," "Gun ban dents sales at Dick's Sporting Goods."

But then they elaborate; Dicks lost 1.7% of sales revenue from guns from the previous year, but gun sales were declining by 17% year over year anyway before the change. At the same time, Dicks saw a 15% increase in stock value, and in the test stores where it removed guns and replaced them with other merchandise, it saw better returns. Basically, Dicks said they lost $2 from their left pants pocket, but they put $1.50 in their right pants pocket, and the value of the whole pair of pants went up by $5. But the same folks who write the dishonest "go woke go broke" Gillette crap are really focused on that left pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    The terrible thing about background checks in the US is that if they cannot find anything within 3 days, people automatically pass the check. Considering most gun sale records are kept on paper, its almost impossible to actually get a completely accurate background check currently.
    Is that true? If so what the hell -_-.
    I'm sure this was said but why not make guns like cars? Not a license but like vehicle registration.
    I'm just trying to be positive! Until Friday when 5 more.people get shot randomly

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Besides the ammo restrictions by Walmart, they are also not going to allow open carry of any firearms in their stores any more. Even in open carry states. Does not affect conceal carry however. I have no issues with the open carry restrictions or the ammo change. Right across the street at our Walmart, is a Rural King, which will keep selling the ammo and handguns Walmart does not. Can even buy AR-15's there.

I never carry open when I am out in the public anyway. So this has zero impact on me and I can see the reasoning for it. It can cause unnecessary panic with some.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Is that true? If so what the hell -_-.
    I'm sure this was said but why not make guns like cars? Not a license but like vehicle registration.
    I'm just trying to be positive! Until Friday when 5 more.people get shot randomly
    It allowed the Charlestown shooter to obtain a weapon he used to kill 8 people in 2015.
    https://www.vox.com/2019/3/6/1825316...eston-loophole

It allowed the Charlestown shooter to obtain a weapon he used to kill 8 people in 2015.
    https://www.vox.com/2019/3/6/1825316...eston-loophole
    Thanks for the source my dude. Glad to see that we learned from that mistake and fixed for the future!!
    /S If that wasn't clear

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Oh, that's easy. If selling a gun required a background check, even if it was through a gun show or private sale, then he could not have gotten that, either.

And for added protection, someone found selling a gun without a background check could be charged with a felony -- and therefore, unable to own any other guns, revoking any license he has to do so.

Yes, there are probably black market dealers for guns like there are for meth, but law enforcement tries to find and arrest them, too. And a gun merchant who can't sell guns is kind of a liability. It wouldn't stop every single illegal gun purchase, but as with anything when the supplier is also at risk, it would certainly slow it down.

Once again, just as "criminals ignore laws" is easily 100% refuted by "then why have laws?", "that won't stop 100% of shootings" isn't valid, either.

Oh, and this would not stop any law-abiding citizen from getting a gun. Ever.

EDIT: I've actually wondered why gun shows get such special treatment. I mean, if I sell Duke Boys Moonshine out of my garage without a license, that's illegal too. Why is selling guns out of your garage somehow allowed?

He got his gun legally through a private sale... You know the gun show loophole that people have been trying to get closed for *squints* 26 fucking years.
    Of course he did. Got flagged in a background check, was still able to legally purchase a gun. It's ridiculous and needs to be changed.

As I already explained comprehensively in the post he was replying to, one of the first steps is a national firearms registry.

The purpose of the registry is multiple fold, it allows us to track each firearm from manufacturer to whoever is holding it at a given time.

Combine this with an licence requirement which is tied to up to date background checks and psych evaluation.

This would allow authorities to easily trace who sold a firearm to someone who failed his background check.

This very same system exists in France, Italy, Germany, Finland etc. People have firearms in other countries too, people hunt in other countries too, people go to ranges in other countries too.

I even specifically mentioned how gun clubs and shooting ranges could be involved in this process.

Instead of having to do the paperwork yourself etc you could join a gun club who would do the paperwork and background checks etc for your.

Gun clubs could act as trusted intermediaries with direct contact to national databases etc just as gun stores do right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    As I already explained comprehensively in the post he was replying to, one of the first steps is a national firearms registry.

The purpose of the registry is multiple fold, it allows us to track each firearm from manufacturer to whoever is holding it at a given time.

Combine this with an licence requirement which is tied to up to date background checks and psych evaluation.

This would allow authorities to easily trace who sold a firearm to someone who failed his background check.

This very same system exists in France, Italy, Germany, Finland etc. People have firearms in other countries too, people hunt in other countries too, people go to ranges in other countries too.

I even specifically mentioned how gun clubs and shooting ranges could be involved in this process.

Instead of having to do the paperwork yourself etc you could join a gun club who would do the paperwork and background checks etc for your.

Gun clubs could act as trusted intermediaries with direct contact to national databases etc just as gun stores do right now.
    But... how you gonna shoot up all those people if you're registered?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Besides the ammo restrictions by Walmart, they are also not going to allow open carry of any firearms in their stores any more. Even in open carry states. Does not affect conceal carry however. I have no issues with the open carry restrictions or the ammo change. Right across the street at our Walmart, is a Rural King, which will keep selling the ammo and handguns Walmart does not. Can even buy AR-15's there.

I never carry open when I am out in the public anyway. So this has zero impact on me and I can see the reasoning for it. It can cause unnecessary panic with some.
    im sorry but anyone getting panicked over someone open carrying if they are just going about thier day is an idiot. a criminal is going to want to conceal that gun till they're ready to strike
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

no thanks Europe can keep that bullshit
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together