Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oholyknight View Post
    I have to admit,

Blizzard was correct. I did think I wanted Classic, I followed Classic news every single day and even took off work to play it on day 1. However, after playing to level 15 and putting about 15 hours into the game the nostalgia completely wore off.

Classic is not a good game. The mob mechanics are outdated with bad AI, the graphics are really really bad, the quests are so boring and bland (pick up x, kill z, talk to y) with no justification to be doing anything no cool story, the game design is horrible (quests sending you to an area and then walking back and then another quest sends you back to the area or having to go back and forth to deliver a letter to someone 5 feet away?), the UI elements are so lacking (no HP showing? Quest tracking inconsistent, node tracking inconsistent, etc), the game is slow for no reason (i.e. having to kill 55 boars for 4 livers?). Really it's so boring, there is no appeal to this game.

Anyway,
    I have to give it to Blizzard, I did forget how bad Classic actually was and I do say that retail is much better.

I suspect in the coming weeks the nostalgia will wear off for everyone (it seems to be already happening as full servers on day one are medium or low now) so players are dropping off like flies and this will just have been a big waste of development that could have been done to make retail much better.
    WAAAHHHHHH, you can't pull an entire zone and AOE it down in .0005 seconds. POOR YOU!

Everyone knows what Classic is, so did you. Yet you for some reason wanted to post and think you were special.

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    If you're a casual then you will like retail.
    stop talking shit. classic is a casual mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by rips View Post
    stop talking shit. classic is a casual mmo.
    lulz lets see how much gear you get without raiding.

Opinions vary.

I enjoy Classic far more than Modern. There are still PVP servers, and no LFG, or cross realm nonsense. Already I’ve been in a major rumble between Southshore and Brill that resulted in a big raid group, and an hour long grudge match between factions. I haven’t had that much fun in ages. And already there is a sense of community within the server building. Something lacking since Cataclysm.

That might not be valuable to you, but a lot of us miss these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    How can you not perceive leveling in classic as the biggest chore in WoW history?

Esp factoring in that the world and the quests/stories are nothing new to most of us because we've seen and done the quest a dozen times already.
    I cant tell you WHY I like the things that I do, just THAT I like the things that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Most concerns in video games ARE design choices, just bad design choices. Just because something is how it is by design does not make it okay, in fact, it's way worst because it means someone DECIDED to make it bad and other people who worked on it, tested it, tried it, all said it was okay when it objectively was not okay.

I'm not taking OP's side or anything, I'm enjoying classic, just saying that this happens in every game (or every piece of entertainment product for that matter) and it's all about good deign vs bad design. 15 minutes respawn timers for a quest mob is NOT good design in any way shape or form, same goes for everything he mentioned. I just think the fun of classic is in other aspects of the game.

Just because you think a feature is bad doesn’t make it bad game design. I dislike football, does it make it a bad sport?

You must learn to look at it objectively. Is long respawn timers bad game design, given that the designers were creating an MMORPGG? Of course not! How immersive is it to see the boss you just killed spawn instantly? Not at all!

What you’re talking about is that you would rather like classic to be another game. Maybe a shooter or some short of action game. That is not the goal of vanilla, so stop pretending that dopamin kicks and fast paced gameplay are the only variables that matter when you make a game. That is not true for all genres.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    How can you not perceive leveling in classic as the biggest chore in WoW history?

Esp factoring in that the world and the quests/stories are nothing new to most of us because we've seen and done the quest a dozen times already.
    It's not a chore if you're playing to have fun instead of just hitting buttons to get your dopamine shot in the form of new 450 bracers.

In other words, the same reason why riding a bike down a familiar rode on a sunny day might be pleasant.

I have to admit,

Blizzard was correct. I did think I wanted Classic, I followed Classic news every single day and even took off work to play it on day 1. However, after playing to level 15 and putting about 15 hours into the game the nostalgia completely wore off.

Classic is not a good game. The mob mechanics are outdated with bad AI, the graphics are really really bad, the quests are so boring and bland (pick up x, kill z, talk to y) with no justification to be doing anything no cool story, the game design is horrible (quests sending you to an area and then walking back and then another quest sends you back to the area or having to go back and forth to deliver a letter to someone 5 feet away?), the UI elements are so lacking (no HP showing? Quest tracking inconsistent, node tracking inconsistent, etc), the game is slow for no reason (i.e. having to kill 55 boars for 4 livers?). Really it's so boring, there is no appeal to this game.

Anyway,
    I have to give it to Blizzard, I did forget how bad Classic actually was and I do say that retail is much better.

I suspect in the coming weeks the nostalgia will wear off for everyone (it seems to be already happening as full servers on day one are medium or low now) so players are dropping off like flies and this will just have been a big waste of development that could have been done to make retail much better.
    The part that people were omitting, and it isn't nostalgia or rose-tinted glasses, is that the "slow time to do stuff" meant you relied on socialization more. It was a natural socialization process, and you formed guilds and groups around this based on time zone, play time, and pace. You naturally would be questing with the same players and formed blobs of guilds that would break up and reform. Again, it was fine at the time but modern wow needs a more dynamic guild system with subguilds/groups like linkshells or whatever the ESO guilds are called.

There was a massive discussion back in the day about bonus/rested EXP. How it's a punishment if you're NOT rested.

The same can be said of levelling while not in a group, or playing by your self. It's just worse, all around. You'd suffer through the quests together (not sure if the gather ones are not shared in classic) because it'd catch up when you made it to a dungeon).

The world first 60 in classic could have been faaaaaaar faster if making the most out of the grouping, for example.

The frustrating thing about this is that other MMOs innovated with the idea of "public quests"... think world quests except you are forced into groups if within the area, and WoW just never really did (and pushed back against group finding WQs to boot).

Levelling as a healer I was ripped away from my friends because I outlevelled them easily because I'd get groups trivially and they wouldn't, coupled with different playtimes. Solution: got new friends.

I was immune to wow classic because I did progression, competitively, through the end of TBC and there's no way in hell I'd sit through those raids again for hours a night. In fact it nauseates me to think about it. In fact even the annivesary event in MC, I couldn't do a 2nd time to try for the drop... nope nope nope.

And just looking at the add-ons available (damage meter? auction software? group finder? better mapping?) nah, it'd be like rebuilding the body on your 1994 Ford Taurus for better aerodynamics... it's still a 1994 Ford Taurus.

who cares about gear? you dont need gear in a casual mmo

This might be true, but most servers that had queues of 10,000+ on day one and two now have no queues at all and are sitting at medium to low.
    Herod has had 10k+ Queues everyday since release whcih isnt the highest pop server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascatuan View Post
    Herod has had 10k+ Queues everyday since release whcih isnt the highest pop server.
    I'm sitting in 3-5k queues daily on Incendius. During midday though there's rarely a queue. I guess most people have jobs these days eh? :P

lulz can you actually see against who vanilla competed ? i know its hard for you fanboys to accept but WoW will always be the Casual MMO

Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    I was told nostalgia blinded me, but every single aspect of classic beats everything in retail. I actually enjoy leveling, walking slowly around the world, noticing it, noticing players, being aware of my surrounding more cause mobs are not packed, and will just kill you.
    While I wand a single mob down, I have time to take a lovely sip of my cup of tea/coffe/etc while looking around for the next mob.

That everything slowed down, is exactly the feeling I was looking for.
    You can do all of that in retail. The difference is in classic you don't have a choice.

I quite often take my time when I do WQ or leveling in retail. My gear says I should be smashing everything but I'm pretty slow. I like to read the internet, eat, or watch a movie or talk shit in chat while I play. I only really pay attention when I hear a panicked voice in chat.

This is why retail is better. Choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    You can do all of that in retail. The difference is in classic you don't have a choice.

I quite often take my time when I do WQ or leveling in retail. My gear says I should be smashing everything but I'm pretty slow. I like to read the internet, eat, or watch a movie or talk shit in chat while I play. I only really pay attention when I hear a panicked voice in chat.

This is why retail is better. Choices.
    I swear sometimes you people are being intellectually dishonest JUST to screw with others.

What you just said is akin to say retail adding a button that anyone can press, that will instantly drop epic gear. And then we go and play an older version without said button, and say 'yes, this feels way more fun'.

Then you come in and say 'wow yea well you can have JUST as much fun in retail, just don't press the button!' That's not the damn point. The point is there IS NO BUTTON in classic. There isn't a choice, it isn't there.

If you honestly can't differentiate between the two ideas, then okay. However, I'm willing you bet you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    It's not a chore if you're playing to have fun instead of just hitting buttons to get your dopamine shot in the form of new 450 bracers.
    That would't work on me anyways. Never was one for gear and stats. *shrug*

This thread is so stupid. If there was any nostalgia for you to have, then you have had to have played classic and known exactly what it's like without somehow being "surprised". And it's not like anyone is forcing you to play either.

Quote Originally Posted by Xykotic View Post
    OP is a fraud. He's been making anti-classic threads for a long while now. I recommend looking at his post history and realize that OP is a truly sad person that is fuming because people like something that he doesn't. He's just a troll, trying to bait negative responses for kicks.
    It's sadder that you look up people's post history. That's like getting paid out in general chat and then looking up armory to try and get back at them.

Sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

>people STILL arguing and responding to a thread that was created by someone who stated a month ago that he hates classic

yikes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    It's sadder that you look up people's post history. That's like getting paid out in general chat and then looking up armory to try and get back at them.

Sad.
    Hi, OP's alt account.

Someone's post history takes a grand total of two mouse clicks to get to, and not even 3 pages in you can see many anti-classic posts from OP.....who, in this thread, claims that he was a fan of the game and now doesn't like it.

"followed every news and took time off to play it day 1" ?? No, he posted over a month ago saying that it's an "objectively bad" game and he won't be playing it.

Defending a troll. Sad.

Classic has a lot of outdated concepts and flaws, a lot of it was improved upon in TBC and to lesser extent in WOTLK.

However the current BFA expansion is IMHO unplayable shallow boring garbage that is not worth playing even if it was the last game on the planet.

This might be true, but most servers that had queues of 10,000+ on day one and two now have no queues at all and are sitting at medium to low.
    You do know that they significantly increased the capacity of each server a couple days after launch, right? Also, thousands of people switched to lower population servers a couple days later to avoid the persistent queues.