Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Oh god, lets not even get into TFU. That's some serious bullshit power fantasy right there, "Starkiller" takes the Mary-Sue levels off the freakin chart.
    What else can one expect from being apprenticed to Vader.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    What else can one expect from being apprenticed to Vader.
    Failure, incompetence, death to a bunch of dorky rebels.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Failure, incompetence, death to a bunch of dorky rebels.
    Harsh but Proabbly true.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    None of those leaks make sense, narratively or thematically. If they are true, I will gladly pan this movie.
    Well, tlj didn't make sense too...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Talking about physics in a children's fairy tale made to sell toys is kind of lame.

Why is the star wars fan base so devisive. They make marvel fans look great by comparison
    Somebody let girls into their secret club and now they have to find stuff to be mad about.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Well, tlj didn't make sense too...
    But, TLJ story followed a storyline though.

The leak is a lot of information that unless ROS is 5 hours long, there is no real way to stitch together the leak in a way that makes any semblance of sense.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    But, TLJ story followed a storyline though.

The leak is a lot of information that unless ROS is 5 hours long, there is no real way to stitch together the leak in a way that makes any semblance of sense.
    Well, its star wars, that's why I don't give them my monies anymore...

Since Disney is intent on doing spinoffs, would anyone be interested in a young Yoda movie/series? Out of all the Star Wars characters I think Yoda has the most untapped potential. Finding out more about his race, why did he become a jedi, who was his mentor?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Since Disney is intent on doing spinoffs, would anyone be interested in a young Yoda movie/series? Out of all the Star Wars characters I think Yoda has the most untapped potential. Finding out more about his race, why did he become a jedi, who was his mentor?
    Young yoda sounds pretty dreadful though the comic stuff they did with him was great so who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, less is more.

Anything they do to "explain" things that don't really demand explanation, like "Character X's backstory", is generally never well received. This is because everyone's developed their own personal "probably this" explanation in their heads, and guaranteed, those vary wildly. So you're going to disappoint a huge chunk of fans just by giving that explanation.

It happened with Boba Fett, though admittedly, he was also hosed by being turned into a chump who can't control his own jetpack in RotJ. He was one of the single most popular characters in the OT, despite minimal screen presence, because the possibilities were so cool. The backstory we got in the prequel trilogy is garbage and nobody liked it.

It happened with Solo, a Star Wars Story. Nobody needed a backstory for Han. Particularly not "My last name is 'Solo' because I'm a loner and it's seriously that fucking stupid" type explanations. Particularly not trying yet again to make "I made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs" retroactively not-stupid-as-fuck. Worse, the film did absolutely nothing to give the audience any more insight into Han. "He's a smuggler with little respect from authority, and always was". Fucking woo. The interesting characters in that film were Chewbacca and Lando, and mostly from an "earlier adventures featuring" perspective, not as origin stories, because origin stories for existing characters nearly always suck. Imagine if Spider-man 3, featuring Tom Holland, was subtitled "Far From Today", and retread the whole spider-bite, Uncle Ben bullshit. Everyone would hate that. At best, they'd say "it's the best version we've had because Holland is great in the role, but we didn't need this, c'mon".

A backstory for Yoda would do the same thing, IMO. Retroactively make Yoda suck as a character. Hell, even his bits in the prequels were pretty bad, particularly the ridiculous spinny-jumpy combat bullshit.

Under Disney a young Yoda movie sounds terrible.
    They will just make him fake Yoda for the kids, and to see a foolish drunk Yoda joking around for two hours is not something i would like to see.
    It would be like a Jar Jar Binks movie.

I agree that Yoda has potential but not under Disney and these fools that actually thought that TLJ was a good movie.
    Last edited by tromage2; 2019-09-06 at 04:44 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Under Disney a young Yoda movie sounds terrible.
    They will just make him fake Yoda for the kids, and to see a foolish drunk Yoda joking around for two hours is not something i would like to see.
    It would be like a Jar Jar Binks movie.

I agree that Yoda has potential but not under Disney and these fools that actually thought that TLJ was a good movie.
    Disney has actual already done really good yoda stuff in the main line starwars comics with a story about him learning about other kinds of force use.

A story about Yoda, to me, is a story about Jedi wisdom, and the more religious aspects of the Jedi order. In that case, just make a movie centered around a character like Donnie Yen's character in Rogue One, instead of needing to flesh out Yoda's backstory.

And if Yoda makes a cameo to discuss the philosophy of the Force, so be it.

If they do make a Yoda movie they have to make it as realistic and as good as Solo and a random dude has to ask what his name is even though the empire gave people numbers.

"Who are your people?"

"I have no people"

hmmm....you're some kind of solo......han solo!

Maybe for Yoda they could say

"Who are your people"

"MmMmMm"

Hmmmm some kind of......Yoda

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Honestly, less is more.

Anything they do to "explain" things that don't really demand explanation, like "Character X's backstory", is generally never well received. This is because everyone's developed their own personal "probably this" explanation in their heads, and guaranteed, those vary wildly. So you're going to disappoint a huge chunk of fans just by giving that explanation.

It happened with Boba Fett, though admittedly, he was also hosed by being turned into a chump who can't control his own jetpack in RotJ. He was one of the single most popular characters in the OT, despite minimal screen presence, because the possibilities were so cool. The backstory we got in the prequel trilogy is garbage and nobody liked it.

It happened with Solo, a Star Wars Story. Nobody needed a backstory for Han. Particularly not "My last name is 'Solo' because I'm a loner and it's seriously that fucking stupid" type explanations. Particularly not trying yet again to make "I made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs" retroactively not-stupid-as-fuck. Worse, the film did absolutely nothing to give the audience any more insight into Han. "He's a smuggler with little respect from authority, and always was". Fucking woo. The interesting characters in that film were Chewbacca and Lando, and mostly from an "earlier adventures featuring" perspective, not as origin stories, because origin stories for existing characters nearly always suck. Imagine if Spider-man 3, featuring Tom Holland, was subtitled "Far From Today", and retread the whole spider-bite, Uncle Ben bullshit. Everyone would hate that. At best, they'd say "it's the best version we've had because Holland is great in the role, but we didn't need this, c'mon".

A backstory for Yoda would do the same thing, IMO. Retroactively make Yoda suck as a character. Hell, even his bits in the prequels were pretty bad, particularly the ridiculous spinny-jumpy combat bullshit.
    I liked the spinny-jumpy combat bullshit. How do you think a diminutive Jedi like Yoda would spar against a foe thrice his size?

Anyway, the good thing about Yoda is that he is old, very old. So old that old should be written Olde... That means that there can be plenty of adventures starring Yoda without making the movie an origin story. It could be set 500 years before ANH. We would see what the Republic was like in that time and what conflicts the Jedi had to settle on some remote planet or what crime lord was threatening the Whatever Sector.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

That's the point, Yoda would never use a lightsaber. It's longer than his entire body. Lucas was like, "Wouldn't it be cool...." and didn't stop to think whether it would make sense for a Jedi Master who was like 2 feet tall and ancient to need a lightsaber to defend himself. It would have been much cooler if Yoda worked more in force pull, telekinesis, shielding, etc, to defend himself.

In fact, Twi'lek Jedi probably shouldn't be using lightsabers either. That's a workplace accident waiting to happen.

Lucas should have given Yoda "a moment of cool;" Simply having Yoda block Dooku's saber with his bare hand, then force-pushing Dooku away, his saber taken away, locked in Yoda's hand. Yoda's face..placid, calm.

Because, yeah, a light saber for someone that small looks a bit silly.

Not particularly. The fewer scenes that exist of Yoda bouncing around on walls with a tiny lightsaber, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I liked the spinny-jumpy combat bullshit. How do you think a diminutive Jedi like Yoda would spar against a foe thrice his size?
    Yeah, when that movie first came out, I thought that scene was exciting and cool as well. It didn't hurt that I was in my late teens and it happened after a couple hours of cringy nonsense.

The problem with that scene isn't that Yoda couldn't conceivably do those things, it's that he shouldn't have to... People like to complain about the supposed damage TLJ did to Luke and the Jedi, but that scene basically relegated the Force to just moving rocks and shooting lightning. There's more they could have done with Yoda's character, but didn't, in favor of yet another lightsaber battle.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-09-07 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Somebody let girls into their secret club and now they have to find stuff to be mad about.
    Wrong!
    We have gladly accepted female fans and characters, just look at Mara Jade, Ahsoka Tano, Jaina Solo, Aayla Secura, Mission Vao, Qwi Xux, Jan Ors and many other more.
    What we do complain about is bad writing, shitty characters (both male and female), and changing important parts of the canon.

So fuck of with your attempts to derail this with using the misogynist-card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather not get another movie that tries to "explain why a character is who they are" after Solo, especially if they also try and fix other films at the same time. If anything I would like them to step away from the original saga and try to do something with the rest of universe. I mean the Exchange, Cartels and Cut throat Corporations in their own war in the aftermath of the Republic's collapse could be an interesting setting for a movie if done well.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity