Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Unpopular Opinion: Can't take Varian seriously

Let me start by saying, despite playing Horde more, I liked the character and his (spoilers) death was sad.

But he was full of kodocrap.

He talks so big and for some reason, people take him seriously.
    "If you don't behave the way I like, I will end you"

The fel you will. You are in middle of Orgrimmar only because the whole rest of the Horde was also against that maniac. It's not like you defeated the whole Horde or something.

And Broken Shore, what the hell. Gul'dan summons all those demons and your definitive answer was... A GUNSHIP? You just got owned on a gunship by mundane demons on your way to Broken Shore (Legion cinematic), how do you expect to succeed against some of the most powerful demons?

Sylvanas' return horn might have saved everyone, but she's being blamed for treachery.

It's a bit late now, but Alliance should've been more objective when taking Varian's words and foolhardy bravery literally.

I wrote about this with a little more detail if you'd like to read that.[Here] (With permission from Roz)

What do you think? I'm especially interested to hear what Alliance players think about this.

Varian in general suffers from Blizzard constantly writing the Alliance with their hands tied behind their back. He can be a tough fighter and a brilliant general and everything, but he can never escape the fact that Blizzard is never going to let the Alliance achieve a real victory over the Horde. Everything's got to be either pyrrhic or a straight-up loss.

It works a little better with Anduin because he's supposed to be naive and inexperienced (although even still they manage to make him stupid enough to stretch the suspension of disbelief at times) but Varian's supposed to be this super badass warrior, and he could never really be that due to Blizzard's bias for the Horde.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by themaelstorm View Post
    Let me start by saying, despite playing Horde more, I liked the character and his (spoilers) death was sad.

The fel you will. You are in middle of Orgrimmar only because the whole rest of the Horde was also against that maniac. It's not like you defeated the whole Horde or something.

And Broken Shore, what the hell. Gul'dan summons all those demons and your definitive answer was... A GUNSHIP? You just got owned on a gunship by mundane demons on your way to Broken Shore (Legion cinematic), how do you expect to succeed against some of the most powerful demons?

Sylvanas' return horn might have saved everyone, but she's being blamed for treachery.

It's a bit late now, but Alliance should've been more objective when taking Varian's words and foolhardy bravery literally.

I wrote about this with a little more detail if you'd like to read that.[Here] (With permission from Roz)

What do you think? I'm especially interested to hear what Alliance players think about this.
    It's not the way he likes, it's the way any decent sentient life should behave. It was a warning, a warning that was heeded and followed until he died and sylvanas happened. The horde actually respected varian. The other stuff I believe as trolling so I won't comment on those.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

10+ Year Old Account

You're right, they didn't... But Garrosh's loyalists were a massive chunk of the Horde's forces and nearly all of them died... The Horde's military was crippled after it was over, the Alliance and Horde were on equal footing before the rebellion, and the Alliance didn't lose nearly as many troops as the Horde did during it... At that time, Varian most definitely could have backed up his threat.

The guy one shot a new-age Legion Fel Reaver, with a sword... and an Infernal kamakazi'ing the gunship is far from mundaine... Infernals in lore are absolutely not a joke, they will fuck you up.

Varian had nothing to do with that though... So, why is it here?

Also Baine already cleared that up with Anduin during their correspondence.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    In the Siege of Orgrimmar, Vol'jin's Rebellion had completely failed at the gates. It was Tyrande's siege weapons (the glaive throwers) that broke down the gates;
    Was that what actualy happened? I remember glaives harmlessly disintegrating on the gate and the orcs opening it to see what the actual fuck was that attempt.

In the Siege of Orgrimmar, Vol'jin's Rebellion had completely failed at the gates. It was Tyrande's siege weapons (the glaive throwers) that broke down the gates; the transport ships used by both Alliance and Horde did not carry siege weapons. By Wrathion's reckoning, once the Horde civil war started, the Alliance had a clear path to victory with only Thunder Bluff being an issue.

On the Broken Shore, the gunship that was used was not meant to bring victory but rather was a means of escape (and was largely succesful). Sylvanas return home did not save everyone, it just saved the Horde. She did fuck all to assist the Alliance to evacuate as she fully exposed their flank.
    I'm not talking about the escape part. Just before Sylvanas blew the horn, Varian says something like "We end this now" and calls in the gunship. He led the Alliance thinking into they could really succeed when it was a deathtrap from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    You're right, they didn't... But Garrosh's loyalists were a massive chunk of the Horde's forces and nearly all of them died... The Horde's military was crippled after it was over, the Alliance and Horde were on equal footing before the rebellion, and the Alliance didn't lose nearly as many troops as the Horde did during it... At that time, Varian most definitely could have backed up his threat.
    You assume the numbers and more importantly: Doesn't matter. It's not something he just "decides to do." Not something he can do with the flick of a finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    The guy one shot a new-age Legion Fel Reaver, with a sword... and an Infernal kamakazi'ing the gunship is far from mundaine... Infernals in lore are absolutely not a joke, they will fuck you up.
    Varian is a badass for sure. But those Infernals you mention? Gul'dan and half the roster there are not only way more powerful, but also can summon those infernals. I mean, that one was summoned by Gul'dan.
    Who's more dangerous? Imp or Warlock?

Also Baine already cleared that up with Anduin during their correspondence.
    Oh surely. But I'm interested in what players think. Because the info was out there for players and Alliance were still super adamant about how right they were.

You mean the same guy that was de'd by guldan?:P Kinda hard to take a guy seriously if he's no longer alive and in game
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

I hated him.

In Wrath he was basically the same as Garrosh and he started the war with the Horde without any consideration for his allies.

Then suddenly he's made High King out of fucking no where because the war HE started was getting out of control.

Just what the fuck? Horrible character. And don't get me started on how HE was the chosen of Goldrinn over any of the worgen.

And then of course his fucking brat of a child is even worse than him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not something he can do with the flick of a finger.
    He never implied he could, it would have been war, but the result would have been decided before it started.

Who's more dangerous? Imp or Warlock?
    We aren't talking about imps, we're talking about infernals.

And the infernal... If you lost control of your infernal summon (back when that could happen), it would smash your face in right quick.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Varian should've been able to let loose on the Horde Leaders a few times to show how much he would fuck them up if they stepped out of line again. Unfortunately Blizzard only enjoys Characters being killed by shitty Villains.

Still salty that my 2 favourite Characters, Varian and Tirion both died within 10 mins of Legion

Imagine finding Varian hard to take seriously while taking Garrosh's over-the-top Orc Reich or Sylvanas seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    Varian in general suffers from Blizzard constantly writing the Alliance with their hands tied behind their back. He can be a tough fighter and a brilliant general and everything, but he can never escape the fact that Blizzard is never going to let the Alliance achieve a real victory over the Horde. Everything's got to be either pyrrhic or a straight-up loss.

It works a little better with Anduin because he's supposed to be naive and inexperienced (although even still they manage to make him stupid enough to stretch the suspension of disbelief at times) but Varian's supposed to be this super badass warrior, and he could never really be that due to Blizzard's bias for the Horde.
    pretty much this, remember how they lied about the ending of MoP?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Then suddenly he's made High King out of fucking no where because the war HE started was getting out of control.
    >imagine thinking the war in cata wasn't started by garrosh.
    read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    >imagine thinking the war in cata wasn't started by garrosh.
    read a book.
    Someone never did the Undercity event in Wrath.

No? It's more like "If you follow a genocidal maniac again, I will end you."
    He had the power to defeat the Horde, even Wrathion aknowledged this.
    It was the same thing for the Horde................

Also, Varian was relying on the Horde to watch his back. When they retreated, he thought they betrayed him, because the person who blew that horn was the most untrustworthy and conniving witch on Azeroth. It's also Sylvanas' fault, she could have easily sent an emissary to Varian to warn him of their dire situation.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2019-09-11 at 08:49 AM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra View Post
    It's also Sylvanas' fault, she could have easily sent an emissary to Varian to warn him of their dire situation.
    No, that would be rude, she should have sent a request for an appointment first.

Someone never did the Undercity event in Wrath.
    someone never bothered to read 'the shattering: a prelude to cataclysm', so again i say: read a fucking book.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    someone never bothered to read 'the shattering: a prelude to cataclysm', so again i say: read a fucking book.
    Undercity happened in Wrath. You know, BEFORE the Shattering.

Undercity happened in Wrath. You know, BEFORE the Shattering.
    It also happens AFTER Sylvanas ordered the Wrathgate, which resulted in the annihilation of the bulk of the Alliance expedition force and the death of Varian's best friend and closest advisor.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra View Post
    It also happens AFTER Sylvanas ordered the Wrathgate, which resulted in the annihilation of the bulk of the Alliance expedition force and the death of Varian's best friend and closest advisor.
    Sylvanas did not order Wrathgate. It was Varimathras. You know, the guy who betrayed her and took over Undercity and the reason we had to go to Undercity in the first place?

Sylvanas did not order Wrathgate. It was Varimathras. You know, the guy who betrayed her and took over Undercity and the reason we had to go to Undercity in the first place?
    She did order the Wrathgate, that's literally stated by Afrasiabi.