Poll: What is the great horror movie of all time?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    How is The Thing (1982) not on the list?

Don't know if I would call it the greatest but I thoroughly enjoyed: The Autopsy of Jane Doe and Let the Right One In (Swedish)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Don't know if I would call it the greatest but I thoroughly enjoyed: The Autopsy of Jane Doe and Let the Right One In (Swedish)
    Let the Right One In is one of my favourite movies, but I always struggle to see it as horror. It’s more akin to a disturbing love story.

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    Sinister should be on this list, just for how unsettling and disturbing it is

Nothing beats ‘Dr. Tongue’s 3D House of Stewardesses’, or ‘3D House of Pancakes’. True classics.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    That's more personal bias TBH, I haven't seen it and not a big fan of it, but I even forgot to list some of my own favorites like The Shining, Nightmare on Elm Street and Child's Play. That's why I made sure to add a Other option.

Poltergeist will remain my all time greatest horror movie. It also happened to be pretty much the first I saw (I couldn't sleep that night most likely because my parents were still watching TV that late at night which was very unusual), and stubled into the living room when just the pool scene with the skeletons showed, I was probably 5 or 6. I had nightmares for weeks.

But even when I watched it later I think it's the best prototype for horror movies. Great FX, some jump scares, no need for gore or violence, and typical horror movie retarded people.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    now this is good horror.
    the sheer fridge potential of the Thing along with it's body-horror practical effects makes it nearly timeless as a horror movie.
    Man... the head crawling across the floor? NOPE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    That's more personal bias TBH, I haven't seen it and not a big fan of it, but I even forgot to list some of my own favorites like The Shining, Nightmare on Elm Street and Child's Play. That's why I made sure to add a Other option.
    You haven't seen it yet you're not a big fan of it? Um, what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Totally forget about that The Autopsy of Jane Doe, I enjoyed that movie as well.

Also forget about the first Hostel.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Goat View Post
    You haven't seen it yet you're not a big fan of it? Um, what?
    Sounds dumb, I know. Some movies I won't see just based on concept, like I hate zombies, I've seen like maybe 2 zombie movies I liked, and since I got rid of cable, it's even less likely I'll ever see The Thing. I might catch it on Pluto TV one day by chance, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to stream/watch. I tend to stick to my personal favorites (demonic possession, spirits, crazed killers, vampires, etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    The Ring /10char

Last edited by Fayenoor; 2019-09-12 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Totally forget about that The Autopsy of Jane Doe, I enjoyed that movie as well.

Also forget about the first Hostel.
    I forgot about Hostel too but I don't think I would have included Hostel even if I remembered. Not saying the movie was bad, but it's the first movie that ever made me feel... ill, like, sick to my stomach, and it takes a lot for that to happen. Other notable not listed is Strangers with Liv Tyler.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    The Ring /10char
    Japanese or American? I was close to listing the original version.

Sounds dumb, I know. Some movies I won't see just based on concept, like I hate zombies, I've seen like maybe 2 zombie movies I liked, and since I got rid of cable, it's even less likely I'll ever see The Thing. I might catch it on Pluto TV one day by chance, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to stream/watch. I tend to stick to my personal favorites (demonic possession, spirits, crazed killers, vampires, etc.)
    Fair enough. But that's kinda like saying you don't like chicken, but you've never tasted it because you're a red meat fan. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    I came here to suggest exactly that. Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    I forgot about Hostel too but I don't think I would have included Hostel even if I remembered. Not saying the movie was bad, but it's the first movie that ever made me feel... ill, like, sick to my stomach, and it takes a lot for that to happen. Other notable not listed is Strangers with Liv Tyler.

- - - Updated - - -

Japanese or American? I was close to listing the original version.
    Japanese version is better. But the American one did fine as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Sinister should definitely be on the list and I enjoy all the movies in the Conjuring Universe

I guess it really depends on how you define horror and what makes it the greatest of all time. Most horror movies are singular events(even franchise horror) that can be horrific fun for different reasons. I guess if I really had to pick one though I would pick Cabin in the Woods for taking a lot of common tropes and themes from other horror movies and giving it a great twist at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    The Changeling, 1980.
    Dude, you solved a mystery for me. I had seen a part of this movie decades ago and couldn't it anywhere nor i had the name of it. Thank you so much.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    For Halloween;

Yeah, that actually is a really freaking good choice.

I think each horror movie can only be judged within the environment of the time it released in, and it's ability to create fear in the audience in that time.

I say that because, frankly, modern audiences are vasty desensitized to horror. The level of special effects and production value we have, we expect, now and the shear volume of media we consume..."horror" as a genre is rarely actually "scary;" except maybe to those people that refuse to watch horror films at all.

Evil Dead 2 is my favorite...is just too memorable and had that revolutionary camera work a bit on the comedy side this one, never seen the original