Poll: PlayStation, Sega Saturn, or Nintendo 64? Which One was Superior?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    I remember the gaming magazines back then it was all FF7 vs OoT, massive hype around both games thats all they were talking about, thats all most kids at school were playing!
    Haha yeah man it was an explosion I remember my neighbor who never ever even play a video game before he is not into these kind of stuff and he was asking me "Hey what is the fuss about that Final Fantasy 7 really about? is it really that good?" that is how powerful impactful it was insane haha.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Yeah, Shenmue, I remember being bored to death by that game. Wasn't that game an utter failure?
    No game with a > 10% attach rate to the hardware it is released on is a failure. You seem to be confusing it with Shenmue 2, which was released on a dead dreamcast and on the OG Xbox which didn't have the fan base.

Calling Mario 64 and the Zelda games open-world might not be very accurate by today's standards. The world was blown away by those titles though and I might be wrong, but I don't think we had any games that garnered that feeling of an open world back then.
    Because nothing even came close to being a living world... until Shenmue came out. Mario 64's hub world style is a mostly dead concept in gaming and if a game comes out and is a corridor simulator like OoT is today it gets shunned. Games had almost no lasting impact on the industry what so ever.

Do you think that racing simulation is the most popular genre? Because I think it's arcade racers. I've never looked up any statistics, hence the question.
    You think arcade racers are the most popular racing genre when they are on their death bed and kept on life support mostly by indy games these days? lol.

I wasn't referring to the technology used.
    So the stick wasn't technology then? You can't bring it up without acknowledging the fact the n64 stick was ass and it's technology died with the n64. It once again, had no lasting impact on the industry.

What makes you think that couch-multiplayer is "basically dead"?
    Name me 10 games released this year that have couch multiplayer and aren't published by Nintendo. It's dead Jim.

They were? What about Dragon's Lair? Phantasmagoria? No, I don't agree that either of those game had the impact you think they had. I know laserdisc, CD and eventually DVD did though.
    Imagine comparing a shitty coin bait arcade game to FFVII or MGS in terms of cinematic gaming. You seem to be confusing cinematic with QTEs lmao.

First of all, I couldn't care less about how "well" it sold in Japan. It sold a total of 9mil units while the N64 sold more than thrice the amount. But why are we discussing sales anyway? The console was an utter failure and claiming it would've done differently if Sega hadn't failed their release timing in the US is pure speculation; you just don't know what it would've done. Besides, marketing wasn't the Saturn's only problem.
    Except it's not speculation. Saturn had better 3rd party support then even the PS1 did early in it's life. It would have destroyed the N64 in every region if it wasn't randomly shadow released with little marketing in the west. Japan is proof of this, it was the only region that didn't botch the Saturn release and marketing and it molly whopped the n64. Japan sales don't count right? Most Saturn games never even left Japan, claiming they don't count is fucking hilarious.

The N64 could've been more succesful, but I wouldn't call it a failure.
    It was absolutely a failure. Not only did it sell far less then the SNES, the home console industry actually GREW during it's gen and yet Nintendo's install base actually shrunk. Massive flop all things considered.

had to google those revolutionary games i mean what do i know only having 27 years of gaming experience.

Yup garbage sounds like someone is trying to play down FF7+MSG with some obscure garbage, sorry no-one knows those games they did nothing at all!
    Calm down Eugene, I'm quite sure your impressive gaming-experience is of great value to someone.

FFVII happens to be one of my favourite games of all time. I'm also very fond of MGS an all Metal Gears before that.

Velshin, it must've been a super-duper-secret-pakistani PM, because I didn't receive anything.

oh well.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-09-13 at 06:10 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Calm down Eugene, I'm quote sure your impressive gaming-experience is of great value to someone.

FFVII happens to be one of my favourite games of all time. I'm also very fond of MGS an all Metal Gears before that.

Velshin, it must've been a super-duper-secret-pakistani PM, because I didn't receive anything.

oh well.
    so basically you agree you're wrong and agree with all of us instead of your first statement ok cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Calm down Eugene, I'm quote sure your impressive gaming-experience is of great value to someone.

oh well.
    Oh yes you did but you pretend to not receive anything so people will not see how coward you really are do you want me to post the picture of it ? sure give me moments haha.

Here:

See yourself guys I gave him my address yesterday but he is pretending that he didn't receive it in PM from me yesterday because he didn't wanna appear to be a chicken coward front of everyone here.

Well here you are and do now pretend to not read this msg now in the forum I dare you.

Comparing shitty Dragon Lair to FFVII....talk about bad taste really awful.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2019-09-13 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    No game with a > 10% attach rate to the hardware it is released on is a failure. You seem to be confusing it with Shenmue 2, which was released on a dead dreamcast and on the OG Xbox which didn't have the fan base.
    Wait, didn't Shenmue cost like 50mil to develop with sales never covering these costs?
    Mario 64's hub world style is a mostly dead concept in gaming and if a game comes out and is a corridor simulator like OoT is today it gets shunned. Games had almost no lasting impact on the industry what so ever.
    You like using the word "dead", don't you? Yes, with today's technology "hub-world" games, as you call them, would be ill advised. Nevertheless, Mario 64 is considered revolutionary.
    You think arcade racers are the most popular racing genre when they are on their death bed and kept on life support mostly by indy games these days? lol.
    Again with death. What do you consider a genre's death? Because plenty of people still play and love games like Mario Kart, that Crash Bandicoot racing game, the Sonic race game, Xenon racer, Dirt (though this might be a sim, I'm not sure), Dangerous Driving, Supercross 2, Need for Speed - if that's still a thing.

Arcade racers and racers in general, might not be terribly popular, but calling it a dead genre seems far fetched.

What's up with the "lol" after every sentence?
    So the stick wasn't technology then? You can't bring it up without acknowledging the fact the n64 stick was ass and it's technology died with the n64. It once again, had no lasting impact on the industry.
    Straw Man. I never said it wasn't technology. Nor did I say that the technology to achieve analogue movement hasn't been ameliorated ever since. I said it was of import because its introduction basically set the standard for every other controller to come.

I liked the N64's stick, so why should I "acknowledge" an opinion I don't agree with?
    Name me 10 games released this year that have couch multiplayer and aren't published by Nintendo. It's dead Jim.
    My kids love playing Rocket League, Ray Man, Just Dance, Call of Duty. My mates and I play a lot of UFC, they play football games as well. My cousin plays a ton of basketball games and CoD with his mates, my colleagues organise a Fifa tournament every other Friday during late night shifts at the hospital.

It doesn't seem "dead" to me, bud.
    Imagine comparing a shitty coin bait arcade game to FFVII or MGS in terms of cinematic gaming. You seem to be confusing cinematic with QTEs lmao.
    Ah, you shifted from "lol" to "lmao".

Another Straw Man; I never compared those games.
    Except it's not speculation. Saturn had better 3rd party support then even the PS1 did early in it's life. It would have destroyed the N64 in every region if it wasn't randomly shadow released with little marketing in the west. Japan is proof of this, it was the only region that didn't botch the Saturn release and marketing and it molly whopped the n64. Japan sales don't count right? Most Saturn games never even left Japan, claiming they don't count is fucking hilarious.
    You think the Saturn would've been succesful if it satisfied the aforementioned variables, you don't know it - no one does. Ergo, it is speculation.
    It was absolutely a failure. Not only did it sell far less then the SNES, the home console industry actually GREW during it's gen and yet Nintendo's install base actually shrunk. Massive flop all things considered.
    Selling less than the SNES doesn't mean it's a failure. The SNES sold less than the NES, the PS3 and PS4 sold less than the PS2, calling either one of those a failure would be asinine.
    so basically you agree you're wrong and agree with all of us instead of your first statement ok cool.
    What am I wrong about, exactly? What statement are you referring to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Oh yes you did but you pretend to not receive anything so people will not see how coward you really are do you want me to post the picture of it ? sure give me moments haha.
    Yes, please post a picture. Post it here, so there won't be any doubts about your heroic deeds. You freaking dimwit.

I might not have received the PM because I have you on ignore. Anyway, Kuwait, niiiice! Great country, your people are loved all around the world. Make sure you have a whiskey ready and ask your mom to make me a sandwich; it's quite the hike from Rome.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-09-13 at 06:21 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Superior is a broad term, might want to be more specific.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, didn't Shenmue cost like 50mil to develop with sales never covering these costs?

You like using the word "dead", don't you? Yes, with today's technology "hub-world" games, as you call them, would be ill advised. Nevertheless, Mario 64 is considered revolutionary.

Again with death. What do you consider a genre's death? Because plenty of people still play and love games like Mario Kart, that Crash Bandicoot racing game, the Sonic race game, Xenon racer, Dirt (though this might be a sim, I'm not sure), Dangerous Driving, Supercross 2, Need for Speed - if that's still a thing.

Arcade racers and racers in general, might not be terribly popular, but calling it a dead genre seems far fetched.

What's up with the "lol" after every sentence?

Straw Man. I never said it wasn't technology. Nor did I say that the technology to achieve analogue movement hasn't been ameliorated ever since. I said it was of import because its introduction basically set the standard for every other controller to come.

I liked the N64's stick, so why should I "acknowledge" an opinion I don't agree with?

My kids love playing Rocket League, Ray Man, Just Dance, Call of Duty. My mates and I play a lot of UFC, they play football games as well. My cousin plays a ton of basketball games and CoD with his mates, my colleagues organise a Fifa tournament every other Friday during late night shifts at the hospital.

It doesn't seem "dead" to me, bud.

Ah, you shifted from "lol" to "lmao".

Another Straw Man; I never compared those games.

You think the Saturn would've been succesful if it satisfied the aforementioned variables, you don't know it - no one does. Ergo, it is speculation.

Selling less than the SNES doesn't mean it's a failure. The SNES sold less than the NES, the PS3 and PS4 sold less than the PS2, calling either one of those a failure would be asinine.

What am I wrong about, exactly? What statement are you referring to?

Yes, please post a picture. Post it here, so there won't be any doubts about your heroic deeds. You freaking dimwit.

I might not have received the PM because I have you on ignore. Anyway, Kuwait, niiiice! Great country, your people are loved all around the world. Make sure you have a whiskey ready and ask your mom to make me a sandwich.

Ahh petty mother insults and country insulting I see. Ok it is confirmed now based on what you are writing now you confirmed it that you are nothing but a coward just trash talker with no action.

N64 for multiplayer, PS for single player from my own experience of games on them that I had.

Ahh petty mother insults and country insulting I see. Ok it is confirmed now based on what you are writing now you confirmed it that you are nothing but a coward just trash talker with no action.
    Meanwhile, I confirmed that you're pretty much as stupid as I thought.

All jokes aside, I'll be at Renzo Gracie's in New York Monday morning for a seminar. Maybe we can meet there, beers are on me. Still want the sandwich though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, I confirmed that you're pretty much as stupid as I thought.

All jokes aside, I'll be at Renzo Gracie's in New York Monday morning for a seminar. Maybe we can meet there, beers are on me. Still want the sandwich though.
    Oh? nice deflecting here I thought it was you who wanted my address and wanted to come at me? I didn't ask anything about where are you from? so if you wanna meet me and as you said wanted to smack my face? yeah let us you do it. Time to backup your bold strong talk or else you are nothing but a talker really. It was you who asked for it and now that you know that I am from Kuwait you went with "oh no it is a hike from there and it is far away" well? having second thoughts I see? Dragon Lair more more impactful to the video games industry more than FFVII haha what a joke!

Talking about mothers again eh? at least I do have a mother and I know who is my mother is and it is from an official marriage unlike the likes of you who most probably got born by a mistake in the bar without even an official marriage.

Oh? nice deflecting here I thought it was you who wanted my address and wanted to come at me? I didn't ask anything about where are you from? so if you wanna meet me and as you said wanted to smack my face? yeah let us you do it. Time to backup your bold strong talk or else you are nothing but a talker really. It was you who asked for it and now that you know that I am from Kuwait you went with "oh no it is a hike from there and it is far away" well? having second thoughts I see? Dragon Lair more more impactful to the video games industry more than FFVII haha what a joke!

Talking about mothers again eh? at least I do have a mother and I know who is my mother is and it is from an official marriage unlike the likes of you who most probably got born by a mistake in the bar without even an official marriage.
    hahahahaah

Oh man, you're hilarious!

10+ Year Old Account
    hahahahaah

Oh man, you're hilarious!
    I know right? anyway you got my address I will make sure I will give you a warm welcome.

Snip
    So you can't name me 10 games that came out in the last year that support couch MP then? I can probably name 100 that support online MP so this can't be that hard for something that isn't dead my man. I really don't even want to bother replying to the rest because it seems when you get proven wrong you break down into petty insults. You also seem to have this complex directed at Sega for some reason and can't accept they did anything innovative when if you asked an actual video game historian they where probably the most innovative game company ever. AM2 alone literally has multiple genres tracked back to them originating.

The N64s impact is non existent on modern gaming. The PS1's impact is still felt today. Even the dreamcast has had a larger impact on the evolution of gaming then the n64 did.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-09-13 at 07:32 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    N64 = quality
    Playstation = quantity

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    N64 = quality
    Playstation = quantity and quality
    FTFY /10 char

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    FTFY /10 char
    Sorry, but no playstation game can be comparable to the n64 classics, in terms of quality.
    The great advantages of playstation in comparison to n64 were the amount of avaliable games and the lower prices.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Sorry, but no playstation game can be comparable to the n64 classics, in terms of quality.
    The great advantages of playstation in comparison to n64 were the amount of avaliable games and the lower prices.
    https://www.metacritic.com/browse/ga...e/ps/metascore

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/ga.../n64/metascore

So you can't name me 10 games that came out in the last year that support couch MP then? I can probably name 100 that support online MP so this can't be that hard for something that isn't dead my man. I really don't even want to bother replying to the rest because it seems when you get proven wrong you break down into petty insults. You also seem to have this complex directed at Sega for some reason and can't accept they did anything innovative when if you asked an actual video game historian they where probably the most innovative game company ever. AM2 alone literally has multiple genres tracked back to them originating.

The N64s impact is non existent on modern gaming. The PS1's impact is still felt today. Even the dreamcast has had a larger impact on the evolution of gaming then the n64 did.
    So I mentioned eight. That totally proves your point; couch gaming is dead. Yep.

Hm, so I insulted you? Wow, that victim card's sure handy. Where can I purchase one? Fact stands that most of what your wrote is either an opinion or an assumpion.

Oh so now I have a "complex directed at Sega". I'll just assume you mean I have some kind of irrational antipathy towards the brand, which would mean you took another headlong dive in assumption-ville, which of course is utterly asinine.

Buddy, you won't reply because I confronted you with the fact that A. your claims rest on wobbly foundations mostly based on assumptions and B. your replies are inundated with logical fallacies.

Don't be angry, just move on.
    I know right? anyway you got my address I will make sure I will give you a warm welcome.
    I'm on my way buddy; start setting up those whiskey glasses.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-09-13 at 09:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I look at it is what games do I emulate today from that era? No matter how old games get, a good game is still a good game. For N64 you have Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooi, Banjo-Tooi, and Goldeneye 007. I'm pushing it with Goldeneye because that game didn't age well as a first person shooter. It's one of those game you gotta mention because everyone agrees it's good even though it really isn't. In 1997 sure but not 2019.

PS1 games are kinda hard to list because they aren't unique to the console. Final Fantasy 7 I played on Windows back in the day and not a PS1. I still have the disks for that game. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was on the Saturn so it doesn't count. Resident Evil 2 was on the N64 so it also doesn't count. There's Chrono Cross, Crash Bandicoot games, and that's it. I do run a lot of games on PS1 emulators because those emulators can run on potatoes but the PS1 was just a giant 3rd party paradise.

Mario 64 defined what a 3rd person perspective should be like while Ocarina of Time was what an open world 3D game should be like. Even Goldeneye has helped push FPS games. The N64 also has the first analog joy stick. While games like Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot would define how games should animate their characters. Sadly the Saturn didn't offer anything to gaming, historically.