Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I don't see how the movie is a "proxy" for any kind of real-world ideology at all. I'm not the one who keeps trying to bring politics into this.
    I’m admittedly just speculating as only you can say what’s going on in your head with any authority. I just have trouble believing you actually enjoyed the film on its own merit. Not a hill I’m willing to die on by any means. That movie was trash though.

P.S. You’re the one constantly leveling charges of sexism and racism because we don’t like the characters or plot. Don’t act as though you didn’t participate in the societal argument. Nobody was arguing about politics.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Also, if you remove the speech bubbles this comic is awfully sexual all of a sudden. Especially panel 4. If you didn't know Kylo was talking to Snoke you'd be forgiven for thinking he's checking out his butt.
    I had actually thought the same thing about another panel after that one where snoke is watching kylo walk away. Given how snoke dresses we shouldn’t be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    All this talk of which series had the better lightsaber duels aside, real fights look nothing like what you see in movies because real fights aren't choreographed. When you know exactly what the other person is going to do because you've been practicing with them for hours so that it both looks good on camera and you don't accidentally murder each other...well...it's obviously not going to look the same as it would if you were just relying on your skill/training in whichever martial art is applicable.
    I enjoyed some of the fights in Outlaw King. The combatants were trained knights, but as battle progressed and exhaustion(rapidly) set in, they were hacking at each other wildly, shanking each other with daggers or bludgeoning each other with shields. I bought it.

7+ Year Old Account
    As far as saber fights go lean more towards short and sweet, the fight between arrcan and thaxen while only a few strikes beat out most of the movie fights for me as it’s simple and to the point while also have a ton of emotion in it.

I really wish we could get a movie in this style.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-09-15 at 04:27 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    But like I said, 2 jedi masters actually WOULD know what the other person is going to do because they can use the Force to anticipate everything. So it actually might look choreographed.
    Maybe. But when for example Obi-Wan fights Maul after he stabbed Qui-Gon, it shouldn't look coreographed unless Obi-Wan planned for his master's death for years. He is pissed. Remember when Luke was pissed at Vader and he beat him into a pile of metal and cables? That's how real people fight. The prequels shows how unrelatable weirdos fight. In the sequels Kylo fights like a little punk who can barely hold his emotions in check. Kinda like.....Kylo Ren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    As far as saber fights go lean more towards short and sweet, the fight between arrcan and thaxen while only a few strikes beat out most of the movie fights for me as it’s simple and to the point while also have a ton of emotion in it.
    I know Fallen Empire gets a fair amount of hate... but I honestly REALLY enjoyed that whole arc. I thought the story was great and some of the cutscenes are SO GOOD. Would love to get a whole film of that saga, with the same style.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I know Fallen Empire gets a fair amount of hate... but I honestly REALLY enjoyed that whole arc. I thought the story was great and some of the cutscenes are SO GOOD. Would love to get a whole film of that saga, with the same style.
    I personally loved the main story though I never got around to doing any of the side stuff. I wish swtor would focus more on soloy story stuff like it as it’s what they do best.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like SWTOR stories in a vaccum. My issue is the power creep and how they don't make sense when you weave them into canon...hell the EU.

Its as if time in the SW galaxy flows like a backwards roller coaster.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I personally loved the main story though I never got around to doing any of the side stuff. I wish swtor would focus more on soloy story stuff like it as it’s what they do best.
    Same. I recently played though both Kotor, and now I'm playing Swtor, as a single player RPG and the story is solid. Sadly, people complained about them taking the MM part, out of MMO, so don't expect anything more like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I like SWTOR stories in a vaccum. My issue is the power creep and how they don't make sense when you weave them into canon...hell the EU.
    Yeah, Swtor is fun as a game... but characters like the Hero of Tython etc should be ignored for canon reasons. They're just too strong.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I believe the sequel is the first time we actually see someone get only superficially wounded by a lightsaber.
    Luke cuts Vader's shoulder in Empire.

10+ Year Old Account
    He hits his armor and Vader's clothes are not even damaged.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    He hits his armor and Vader's clothes are not even damaged.
    Blame 1980s special effects, he definitely screams in pain when hit.

IIRC someone already put forward that the reasoning behind Force-user fights looking like they're just hitting each other's weapons is that they use the Force to predict where the opponent will hit; but if BOTH sides are doing that, it creates a very awkward stalemate of everyone hitting exactly where they know the other will be. As to how/why that stalemate is broken... "Force did it".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I believe that within the canon, this applies primarily to mass shadows generated by extremely large masses (i.e. planetary and above). They can damage ships in hyperspace if passed in too close proximity, or even pull them out of hyperspace altogether.

Ships, even capital ships, wouldn't be nearly massive enough for this. Even a Death Star wouldn't be. And obviously things like cosmic dust and pebbles are altogether irrelevant in that respect.

What it really comes down to in the end is how the collision in TLJ actually worked. If the ship entered hyperspace ever so briefly and then exited close to the target, the exit velocity would naturally be less than c. How much less we can't really gauge, but it's a crucial factor considering velocity is quadratic in kinetic energy. However, it's also possible that most of the damage wasn't caused by the accelerated mass itself, but by the interactions resulting from a hyperspace exit very close to (or even within) another ship. Since that's not something determinable by real physics, it could literally be anything. It's also conceivable that this energy scales not with the size of the ship itself, but rather with the energy output limit of the hyperspace drive - which might explain cost concerns, since you can't just strap a small hyperdrive to a rock in that scenario, and large enough hyperspace generators might be too unwieldy (incapable of flying on their own) and/or prohibitively expensive.

Of course, it's doubtful the writers thought this far. Their recourse is usually to just McGuffin the problem away if it ever comes up in a serious way, and to otherwise ignore it as a means to an end (that being a dramatic turn and lots of cool special effects on screen).
    Canon and thinking? You can't be serious.

These people who take over franchises don't care about either, all they care about is looking or sounding cool without putting any effort into it actually making any sense. Because like sequel trilogy is fond of saying, kill the past. (Unless you're trying to milk it with a trailer that primarily just shows the past because they're trying to pander to the same people they just said "fuck you, we don't need you" to, but in reality they desperately need)

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Yeah, but then again, they are supposed to be able to shut their minds off of foreign intrusion by force users, which leads us back to the better sword fighter winning, which leads us two idiots standing across each other, flailing glowsticks, while the entire situation could be resolved by a quick crotch kick. Or disembowelment, but since the prequels kicked me in the nards metaphorically I'd be fine with either McGregor or preferably Christiansen having his nutsack parted like moses did the red sea.
    Force users move with immense speed. In Revenge of Sith book, it was written that Grievous, using his mechanics to full extent, was able to perform nearly 30 attacks per second, coming from all directions, yet Obi Wan was able to deflect them all, with single lightsaber at that. Anakin, who witnessed part of duel between Sidious and Windu, noted that they moved so fast that it seemed like a fight between 10 lightsabers.

When force user's ability to predict gets overpowered, "duel" ends super fast - just look what happened to Jedi that accompanied Windu against Sidious.

Duel between force users is thus mainly a contest in the force - one stronger in the force nearly always wins, regardless of his "sword fighting" skills.

It is fascinating concept in itself. Two people that can basically foresee future - trying to outsmart each other. I want to strike from the left. Yet you know I will strike from the left, so you will block from left. Yet I know you will block from the left, so I should strike from the right... and so it goes. We can't accurately imagine such concept, because we lack this sixth sense. Regardless, if you can predict "only seven" of such steps, but I can predict eight, sooner or later I would manage to perform an attack so conceptually complicated that you wouldn't be able to predict it, and you would die.

Still, the at the very core of martial arts lies basic assumption that you never know what your opponent will do. You need to be prepared for everything. Your position balanced, your body ready for reaction. Force users don't operate with such limits. At given time, one might be completely "open" from the left. "He should have striked from the left!" - you could shout. "What the hell was even that?" Surely. Yet he knew the strike wouldn't come from the left. So he could afford to not defend himself.

The infamous scene of "flailing glowsticks" is obviously referenced again. With the described concept in mind, both Anakin and Obi Wan know that no attack at all will come. Each of them could just stand and stare. And wait. But they prefer this showmanship. The point is to confuse opponent, change his mind, provoke him into foolish attack. Both sides attempt same strategy - because they are master and student. In my view, it greatly showed how similar not only in power, but in the style and way of thinking they are - a stark contrast to Yoda-Sidious duel, where both sides were opposites of each other.

And finally, of course, when the attacks finally came, both sides simultaneusly parried. Because they knew they are coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

I loved the cinematic where Senya fights the group of guards. It's a lot more physical and she's constantly turning on and off her blade and changing the length of her hilt to suit. Like a real fight with someone who can kind of see the future.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Canon and thinking? You can't be serious.

These people who take over franchises don't care about either, all they care about is looking or sounding cool without putting any effort into it actually making any sense. Because like sequel trilogy is fond of saying, kill the past. (Unless you're trying to milk it with a trailer that primarily just shows the past because they're trying to pander to the same people they just said "fuck you, we don't need you" to, but in reality they desperately need)
    Reminder that in the OT, during A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, Luke and Leia weren't written as siblings. That's why Leia french-kisses him at one point. It's retroactively icky, but at the time, made total sense, because Luke was just some guy. Not her brother. And it's not that she didn't know; it literally was not true. It only became true in RotJ, when Lucas wrote that in.

Likewise, Ford wasn't sure he was coming back for RotJ. That's why he gets frozen in carbonite in ESB. So he could be "dead" and out of the story, but they could unfreeze him if he decided to come back.

Star Wars has never tried to have super-accurate and deeply-written canon. That's something that came about in the Expanded Universe, and pretty much entirely because a ton of authors were all writing out their own little corners of the universe, so a metric fuckton of canon got created. And probably most of it was terrible. Even the original films were always more concerned with "looking or sounding cool", not to mention selling toys to kids.

Question:
    Do you think this movie will outgross Titanic and Avatar? [Not Endgame.]
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Question:
    Do you think this movie will outgross Titanic and Avatar? [Not Endgame.]
    I think it would have if they kept to one stars movie every 2nd or 3rd year and made them more special events.

Now they are spamming them. It'll probably do well because its the 3rd one, but I dont expect it will beat titanic/avatar numbers