Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    I dont think the point for most people is to play it till forever, but that you CAN play it when you are in the mood for some classic.
    Like I occasionally play through mass effect every couple of years. You couldnt do that with vanilla, even though it was one of the most important games lots of us had.
    This is what a lot of people aren't understanding. Or maybe a lot of these posters are from pserver crowd where "seasons" and "restarts" were so normal they can't think of any other way.

There's an "end" to Classic. That is actually an appeal to some people.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing about a TBC server is not so much whether they'll release it. I think they will. How they release it is really the question. I believe the last thing they want to do is attach TBC onto Classic WoW like they do other expansions which would change things about Classic WoW that many do not want to see changed.

For me the simplest idea is to release TBC as another standalone with transfers available from Classic and/or premades of an average quality for those that don't want to deal with 1-60. That's probably more work than just glomming on TBC to Classic but it makes for more player options.

If things go extremely well for Classic over the next six months to a year they might think about a Classic+ thing. That seems unlikely to me but I think that anything is possible at this point.

It's nonsense to start making firm predictions just three weeks in though.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

ppl saying they wanted blizz to make more vanilla content are the real idiots.

Classic+ is the way to go. I give classic 2 years at the very most before Blizzard deem it financially non-viable, unless they roll out community-driven "in the spirit of Vanilla" content. Incorporating elements of BC/Wrath into it isn't a bad idea.

We've already seen an expected drop-off in players.

Further tearing apart the community over content that, unlike classic, is still in the game.

And then what? You'll make the exact same argument ad infinitum until we have servers for every single expansion, and the community is fragmented into eight pieces.

Classic is only an exception because the content in it is gone, and can't be played through timewalking or level locked characters.

Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    ppl saying they wanted blizz to make more vanilla content are the real idiots.
    And your suggestion is "no changes" forever?

No changes players are living in a fantasy world. For your sake you'll need to accept someday that this isn't "vanilla" and the game will need to change to survive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Further tearing apart the community over content that, unlike classic, is still in the game.

And then what? You'll make the exact same argument ad infinitum until we have servers for every single expansion, and the community is fragmented into eight pieces.

Classic is only an exception because the content in it is gone, and can't be played through timewalking or level locked characters.
    Still doesn't answer the question as to how classic will stay relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Moor Shadows View Post
    Hell if I know. player-voted "classic+" is how old school RS did it and that turned out decent.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's nonsense to start making firm predictions just three weeks in though.
    Another thing that makes it silly too is Classic isn't fully released in terms of phases either. Like there's no BGs, which is probably a lot of content alone for PvPers. I think, like Blizzard has been shown to be doing, they're gonna continue focusing on the release of phases for Classic and alternating with current WoW releases.

I bet at Blizzcon they're gonna get asked a lot "so where do we go with Classic from here?" and I bet most of the answers will focus on getting the phases released before they really delve into what's on the plate for the future of Classic.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think Classic needs to "stay relevant". Blizzard even when speaking about it already keeps re-iterating it's considered a museum for Warcraft history and gaming history.

They've also said they know there's gonna be an incredible amount of tourists at release, which is why they designed Layering and not just the usual "yeah let's keep adding 50+ servers that will eventually die out when the tourists leave."

They've already planned for the drop-off, estimated the drop-off, and still considered Classic worth doing. That should tell you it's not a high priority for it to "stay relevant". If a player is playing Classic or Current, it doesn't matter - they're the same subscription so Blizzard is getting the same amount of money either way.

If they end up with half the subs they had for wrath then it's smart money wise to do so. No reason at all to not do it. Open new realms char copy locks the classic toon for a year? Or just force X-Pac on classic realms.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

10+ Year Old Account
    And your suggestion is "no changes" forever?

We are still waiting on you to tell us why the changes are needed? What is this 'the game will need to change to 'survive' shit? Do you not understand folks wanted it to be like it was with as few changes as possible. If you cant accept it as it is, then just maybe Classic isnt' for you...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know that it's supposed to stay relevant. Blizzard says it's legacy and history and needs to be preserved.

J. Allen Brack:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "I think there will be a lot of tourists. But it doesn’t matter what I think because once we’re committed to doing this at a Blizzard level, which we are, whatever happens is going to happen. If millions of people show up and play for years, that’s awesome. And if just tens of people show up and play for years, we’re fine either way. What’s important to us is that we have this Classic experience people can enjoy, that people do have the opportunity to go back to. This is an important game in videogame history and there’s not a way to go back and experience that today. This is also about preserving something that we think is really important.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saintminya View Post

Classic+ is still very much the better notion, as there'd surely be no drastic overhaul that invalidates the content. There'd just be new instances and potentially better gear. Groups could even limit what gear you could use in say AQ40 if they don't want the run tainted by + exclusive gear.
    Never works. If the gear is easier elsewhere or content trivialized ppl don't do it fullstop.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    The question is, THEN what? Again, you clear every instance, you have ALL the gear you want over several YEARS of playing Classic.
    People asked for Vanilla and they're getting a very similar experience today. I am thoroughly enjoying it and not in a rush to blow through all the content, but I will, eventually.

I have a counter question. Does there need to be a "then what"?

10+ Year Old Account
    They said that if classic did well they would consider tbc and wrath. I think the chance of them doing TBC is very high at this point. It will probably be it's own separate servers from classic, maybe with the option to transfer characters. TBC is still similar to classic in many ways, but also reaches those players who enjoy arena. It has those key nostalgia points of Kara, killing Illidan and Lady Vashj, getting glaives, getting your first flying mount, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Okay so I need some help here. Couple of threads now talking about how Blizzard will be stupid to release BC as an xpac on top of Classic.

I dont understand whats so stupid about it. People want the "Classic experience", sure. But then what?

Like is everyone on the server just going to farm the same instances over and over, and be geared to the teeth, just to do what? Run around in your awesome gear and kill the same things that you pretty much have on farm and have no use for since you already own every piece?

I guess what im asking is, whats the end game? What am I not seeing?

We level up, we raid, we are full geared... Alts? Whats next?
    There are many who want classic only servers, and don't want TBC or anything else to change the experience. Yes Classic will end, but people like that, I mean that is why its so successful as a private server. The moment you "upgrade" to TBC servers the entire classic aspect is gone. There are many in the future who will go back to classic, also there is many who will take several years to level to 60 :P

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You do realize that J Allen is one of the main reasons Classic was ever greenlit in the first place, right?
    Mike Morhaime was the person to make that happen and he wanted J. Allen Bricksforbrains to save face by looking like he actually wanted it after his famous line.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Mike Morhaime was the person to make that happen and he wanted J. Allen Bricksforbrains to save face by looking like he actually wanted it after his famous line.
    Lmfao. Okay, sure.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/b...ew-impressions

"Anything is on the table. This is a love letter to our fans," Dawson said. "If the fans have a desire for something, it would absolutely be considered. We're certainly not planning to do that today, but if people want more, we can talk about that. We'll cross that bridge when we get there."

Patrick Dawson, Production Director for World of Warcraft on post naxx content.

Ion gave a clear no, but I don't think TBC is confirmed. There is a chance, they will make new original content.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    For me the simplest idea is to release TBC as another standalone with transfers available from Classic and/or premades of an average quality for those that don't want to deal with 1-60. That's probably more work than just glomming on TBC to Classic but it makes for more player options.
    I agree with character transfers from Classic to TBC realms. I don't agree with pre-made level 60 characters
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I agree with character transfers from Classic to TBC realms. I don't agree with pre-made level 60 characters
    I get it but it will cut the potential audience by quite a lot otherwise. My sense is that a lot more people are interested in BC. I'm not sure how many of them will want to level through Classic to get there.