10+ Year Old Account

Last Check before I pull the trigger.

Upgrading from my old 3570K. Moving over my 1060 from it. Mostly just 1080p WOW, Division 2, Anthem. No streaming. May upgrade to 1440p some day but not any time soon, literally just bought 3x 1080p curved monitors this year. The 3600X didn't seem worth the extra $30. Buying all from amazon just for convenience, it was like $15 more than various vendors, and I have prime. No overclocking besides the default CPU boost. PCPP says total power is under 300w so 450 ought to be enough, I figure.

PCPartPicker Part List
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.89 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.88 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $568.73

Unrelated, I added a 1060 to the list just to ensure the power usage was good. Why the hell are 1060's $350??? I dont think mine was even on sale when I got it for like 220.
    Last edited by chazus; 2019-09-19 at 10:42 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see nothing wrong with this build. Good CPU and since you're not OCing, motherboard is perfect.
    RAM is RAM and Corsair, while I've retired from them, is good.
    Crucial MX500 <3
    Fractal Design has been being weird lately, but that case I believe I heard has very good airflow and also, it's Fractal, the build quality is terrific.
    SeaSonic <3
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Upgrading from my old 3570K. Moving over my 1060 from it. Mostly just 1080p WOW, Division 2, Anthem. No streaming. May upgrade to 1440p some day but not any time soon, literally just bought 3x 1080p curved monitors this year. The 3600X didn't seem worth the extra $30. Buying all from amazon just for convenience, it was like $15 more than various vendors, and I have prime. No overclocking besides the default CPU boost. PCPP says total power is under 300w so 450 ought to be enough, I figure.

PCPartPicker Part List
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Unrelated, I added a 1060 to the list just to ensure the power usage was good. Why the hell are 1060's $350??? I dont think mine was even on sale when I got it for like 220.
    If you're buying from MSI, I recommend you buy the MAX variant, this is just a handy label to show that the BIOS chip has been upgraded to double capacity, so you can have complete CPU support out of the box.

10+ Year Old Account

PCPartPicker Part List

That PSU is not good. I really don't recommend buying that. Doesn't seem to be quite as bad as the disastrous S12II but it's still far from an acceptable PSU, lacking common protections like over-current protection etc. Get something like a Corsair CX or CXM at the very least.

MSI has been slow with BIOS support for the Ryzen 3000 series, and that motherboard has the smaller BIOS chip which disables some functionality in order to support Ryzen 3000 series. I'd recommend at least the "MAX" version of the motherboard, or a different board. Asrock B450 Pro4 is a decent cheap B450 board.

There's nothing wrong with a Crucial MX500, but you can get a Sabrent Rocket NVME m.2 drive for the same price and it's much faster, or a Intel 660p for slightly less and it's still quite a bit faster.

Consider the 3600X CPU if you're gonna use the stock cooler. The stock cooler for the 3600 is pretty bad, the 3600X has a slightly better cooler and ofc you get a slightly faster CPU as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Made a couple changes, didn't realize the MX500 wasn't NVME. The Crucial P1 is, and cheaper.
    Switched board to pick up Wifi.

That PSU is not good. I really don't recommend buying that. Doesn't seem to be quite as bad as the disastrous S12II but it's still far from an acceptable PSU
    What is the issue with the PSU? I was under the impression that Seasonic and their units are some of the best sub-$100 units

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    @Shakadam

SeaSonic makes most of Corsair's PSUs.

I've not heard anything like this. No overcurrent protection? What.

Crucial SSDs are tried and true, performance and stability. Sabrent? Who? Don't really know them. Certainly wouldn't trust them for something like this. Crucial makes some of the longest-lasting, most bullet-proof (so-to-speak) SSDs out on the market. They might not be the fastest, however you'd be hard-pressed to find higher-quality and more durable and long-lasting. I'm trying to find the article where some people had SSDs from around 2010-2012 running 24/7, writing and re-writing data-center loads of data to see just how long they would last. Last I saw it, only the Crucial, Samsung, and maybe a Plextor or Intel still remained. They were past writing a Petabyte I do believe. (This was a longterm, many YEARS long test.)

Also... the 3600X... to echo what literally every tech reviewer is saying:

• The Ryzen 5 3600 is by far the better choice at $200.
    • At stock, we found the 3600X to offer a very mild performance increase (5% or less) compared to the vanilla 3600. This small difference does not justify the extra $50.
    • Both CPUs tend to overclock to similar levels, and the boost offers negligible performance advantages.
    • As shown in our full review, the Ryzen 5 3600 offers tremendous value and will work on even the most basic B350/B450 motherboards.
    • The 3600X gets you a better cooler out of the box, but rather than waste $50 on the 3600X, we recommend instead to buy the 3600 and if you want to reduce the operating volume and squeeze a tiny bit more performance, grab something like the Cooler Master 212 Black for $30.
    • Misleading TDP ratings: The only thing that makes the R5 3600 a 65 watt TDP part, is the 65 watt cooler, while the 3600X is a 95 watt TDP part because it comes with a 95 watt cooler. The CPUs themselves are otherwise identical.
    From: https://www.techspot.com/article/188...3600x-vs-3600/

I can't say I disagree with the sentiment of getting a better motherboard, but idk if Chazus needs it for what he's doing.
    "A flower.

shots fired..shots fired. *maybe he really did pull the trigger*
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

The Aorus PRO WiFi boards are the boards to beat at that price range as you have noted in the follow up post. But it looks like Amazon has them sold out...RIP

Made a couple changes, didn't realize the MX500 wasn't NVME. The Crucial P1 is, and cheaper.

What is the issue with the PSU? I was under the impression that Seasonic and their units are some of the best sub-$100 units

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Ignore Shak's hate-on for Seasonic's S12II.

He's ranting about something that matters to precisely no average people. (Not that you were looking at the S12II's anyway).

That being said, id probably shell out a bit more to get some future-proofing on that PSU. You're not going to be in love with that 1060 forever.

Get a 550W PSU, IMO.

The 550W S12III should be fine. My personal preference is for Modular PSUs, but if you dont care, its fine.

If you cant get the Aurous Wifi board, even though it is mATX, the B450 Tomahawk is a pretty baller board for around the same price.

PCPartPicker Part List

My dad is running that motherboard with his 3600x and it works great.

DDR4 3000 is a lil slow for 3rd Gen, most reviewers will say 3600mhz is the sweet spot but if you can nab a kit of 3200mhz for the same price as that 3000mhz kit I'd go for the slight upgrade. These were on the Motherboards QVL

Kagthul has a good point on the PSU
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Crucial SSDs are tried and true, performance and stability.
    I guess my question is, was the MX500 a poor choice because it's a "Slow SSD", or because it's an SSD vs NVME? If it's just a matter of getting an NVME, I'll just use the Crucial P1

I can't say I disagree with the sentiment of getting a better motherboard, but idk if Chazus needs it for what he's doing.
    Nothing special at all. I just wanted to Auros board because it has wifi, thats all. I'm really not picky about boards. I'll probably do whatever is cheap from MSI, Asrock, Asus.

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    DDR4 3000 is a lil slow for 3rd Gen, most reviewers will say 3600mhz is the sweet spot but if you can nab a kit of 3200mhz for the same price as that 3000mhz kit I'd go for the slight upgrade.
    I must be behind the times. I thought I was splurging with the 3000.

10+ Year Old Account

Some of Seasonic's units are, but just like Corsair, EVGA etc they have some real turds as well.

SeaSonic makes most of Corsair's PSUs.

I've not heard anything like this. No overcurrent protection? What.
    I don't know if Seasonic manufactures most of Corsair's units. Corsair CX and RMX PSU's are made by Channel Well Technology. I haven't looked into the rest of their product line.

The Seasonic S12III isn't a Seasonic unit. Manufacturing of that product line is outsourced to Shenzhen Rui Shengyuan Technology from what little information I could find.

This review:
    https://aphnetworks.com/reports/seasonic-s12iii-500w/3
    Mentions that the 500W model has no OTP (over-temperature protection) or OCP (over-current protection).

The S12III 450W and 500W units also seem to be group regulated just like the previous S12II lineup (although there aren't enough in-depth reviews to 100% confirm this). Group regulated PSU's were bad 10 years ago and terrible now. I wouldn't put these anywhere near any modern system, that's just asking for trouble. Group regulated PSU's can't compensate for voltage fluctuations on a single rail which, depending on your system and what kind of load you're putting on it, can cause voltages to run out of spec and crash the system or even cause hardware damage.

Is it an issue? Maybe. Can it be an issue? Yes. Is it an unnecessary potential issue? Absolutely yes. Just buy a PSU for 5-10$ more that isn't trash tier.

Also... the 3600X... to echo what literally every tech reviewer is saying:

From: https://www.techspot.com/article/188...3600x-vs-3600/

I don't particularly disagree with the performance aspect, the difference is negligible. However, if you don't already have a CPU cooler that fits the 3600 you might consider a 3600X as a 3600 + decent cheap CPU cooler is basically the same price.

Personally I recommend a 3600 + CPU cooler but that seems to make some people see red as the 3600 comes with a cooler that is "good enough". It really isn't in my opinion. I have one right next to me from when I did my build a few weeks ago and it's a flimsy little thing. Plugged it in just to test and it was horribly loud, unplugged it very quickly. It's pretty much on the same level as Intel's box cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Ignore Shak's hate-on for Seasonic's S12II.

He's ranting about something that matters to precisely no average people. (Not that you were looking at the S12II's anyway).
    It matters to precisely average people. Maybe you're lucky and you have no issues with a bad PSU, that still doesn't make it a good buy.
    A bad PSU can cause problems in so many different ways and all of them are hard to troubleshoot. Problems can even take a long time to manifest while the PSU has been slowly degrading the other electronics in the system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I don't know if Seasonic manufactures most of Corsair's units. Corsair CX and RMX PSU's are made by Channel Well Technology. I haven't looked into the rest of their product line.
    The HXi series are also made by CWT, at least in part.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess my question is, was the MX500 a poor choice because it's a "Slow SSD", or because it's an SSD vs NVME? If it's just a matter of getting an NVME, I'll just use the Crucial P1

Nothing special at all. I just wanted to Auros board because it has wifi, thats all. I'm really not picky about boards. I'll probably do whatever is cheap from MSI, Asrock, Asus.

I must be behind the times. I thought I was splurging with the 3000.
    I have a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master now and while at first it had some bugs due to the BIOS (something about USB anything being plugged in when first loading into Windows caused a BSOD... very stupid...) it's now working flawlessly. I see no reasons really to not buy an Aorus.

3200MHz or 3600MHz is optimal for Ryzen 3rd gen.

And Crucial isn't all that much slower nowadays compared to the old days, they just are typically a tiny bit slower now, but still way more enterprise-grade in terms of: will actually last longer and have longterm support from Crucial with firmware updates quickly being pushed out. Take it from someone who still has a working m4 128GB from 2011...

NVMe isn't really necessary. I have one but I mostly use it for the fact it actually makes photo-editing quite a bit faster. Windows and games don't really load faster enough for it to make a real difference, while the numbers are big, it is nothing compared to the difference between going from a mechanical HDD to an SSD...

- - - Updated - - -

Some of Seasonic's units are, but just like Corsair, EVGA etc they have some real turds as well.

The Seasonic S12III isn't a Seasonic unit. Manufacturing of that product line is outsourced to Shenzhen Rui Shengyuan Technology from what little information I could find.

This review:
    https://aphnetworks.com/reports/seasonic-s12iii-500w/3
    Mentions that the 500W model has no OTP (over-temperature protection) or OCP (over-current protection).

The S12III 450W and 500W units also seem to be group regulated just like the previous S12II lineup (although there aren't enough in-depth reviews to 100% confirm this). Group regulated PSU's were bad 10 years ago and terrible now. I wouldn't put these anywhere near any modern system, that's just asking for trouble. Group regulated PSU's can't compensate for voltage fluctuations on a single rail which, depending on your system and what kind of load you're putting on it, can cause voltages to run out of spec and crash the system or even cause hardware damage.

Is it an issue? Maybe. Can it be an issue? Yes. Is it an unnecessary potential issue? Absolutely yes. Just buy a PSU for 5-10$ more that isn't trash tier.

I don't particularly disagree with the performance aspect, the difference is negligible. However, if you don't already have a CPU cooler that fits the 3600 you might consider a 3600X as a 3600 + decent cheap CPU cooler is basically the same price.

Personally I recommend a 3600 + CPU cooler but that seems to make some people see red as the 3600 comes with a cooler that is "good enough". It really isn't in my opinion. I have one right next to me from when I did my build a few weeks ago and it's a flimsy little thing. Plugged it in just to test and it was horribly loud, unplugged it very quickly. It's pretty much on the same level as Intel's box cooler.

It matters to precisely average people. Maybe you're lucky and you have no issues with a bad PSU, that still doesn't make it a good buy.
    A bad PSU can cause problems in so many different ways and all of them are hard to troubleshoot. Problems can even take a long time to manifest while the PSU has been slowly degrading the other electronics in the system.
    Fair enough.

I briefly owned a 3700X and ended up returning it but HOLY SHIT AMD can't seem to make very many things right.
    Not only does the heatsink have THE WORST mechanism to attach it, it can also rip the CPU out of the socket (reasons I returned this garbage...) and cause damage. I was excited for Ryzen 3000, I really was. Ultimately I decided after seeing the stupid mechanisms of the socket and the CPU heatsink, I decided, "fuck it, fuck the priceerformance, if AMD can't make a socket that holds the damn CPU in, I'm not trusting it. I'll stick with what I know works: which is an Intel CPU actually held down to the motherboard."

I'm not happy I paid more for marginally lower performance, I'm just happy I paid for a product that works properly. (What I returned to the store was very likely permanently damaged.) =X
    "A flower.

NVMe isn't really necessary. I have one but I mostly use it for the fact it actually makes photo-editing quite a bit faster. Windows and games don't really load faster enough for it to make a real difference, while the numbers are big, it is nothing compared to the difference between going from a mechanical HDD to an SSD...
    PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Corsair MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($107.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($137.35 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.85 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.91 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1129.84
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-21 10:16 EDT-0400
    With prices being what they are atm, theres no reason not to go Nvme.

Personally I recommend a 3600 + CPU cooler but that seems to make some people see red as the 3600 comes with a cooler that is "good enough".
    Hey, that me! And you missed my point completely if you think thats what I meant. My point was that your 60 buck cooler suggestion was a bit much for a 3600 on budget builds when you can get great coolers at a 30-40$ pricepoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Hey, that me! And you missed my point completely if you think thats what I meant. My point was that your 60 buck cooler suggestion was a bit much for a 3600 on budget builds when you can get great coolers at a 30-40$ pricepoint.
    Fair enough.