Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Not to mention, it did say Classic still brought in less than BFA's launch.
    That is likely due to the expansion cost. As the expansion itself costs a lot more than a subscription the revenue is obviously going to be higher at an expansion release.

On the other side of the coin, it is also important to keep this in mind when talking about classic. Classic has an advantage when it comes to subscriber numbers as there is no cost to classic other than the subscription itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    This would mean classic has more than double the BfA subs...which i choose NOT to believe.
    Is too good to be true...and sounds ridiculous
    You should consider that current BFA sub actually bought BFA and paid for a year or so of subscription paying around 150$. Classic sub just paid 11$ to experience a little bit of nostalgia. It's almost like comparing player numbers of F2P vs P2P games. The amount of commitment is very different between those two categories of players.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDC View Post
    You should consider that current BFA sub actually bought BFA and paid for a year or so of subscription paying around 150$. Classic sub just paid 11$ to experience a little bit of nostalgia. It's almost like comparing player numbers of F2P vs P2P games. The amount of commitment is very different between those two categories of players.
    Oh yeah, for sure.
    And also ignoring the big elephant in the room...will this subs be here till December?

Oh yeah, for sure.
    And also ignoring the big elephant in the room...will this subs be here till December?
    As the hype already is dying there is zero chance, no queues and also generally way less people in every area. I recently leveled my good ol Mage to 43 and there was like 5-10 people ive encountered. To me it seems like 70% of the population is just gone already, but it is likely more towards the 50% by now. Not really that suprising as im just struggling to find any motivation to login there, likely many people feel the same.
    Last edited by Nokami; 2019-09-24 at 01:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    It is both fair and factual. You can use the same criticism for Nielsen television ratings and it's just as accurate. I guess I'm just bitter and cynical because plenty of my favorite TV shows have been canceled because of these imaginary numbers and it's a bit disheartening to see people looking at the same "proprietary" data and jumping to the same conclusions based off of incomplete, ultimately unknowable information. Sensationalized articles like the one in the OP serve only to become footnotes in poorly wrought arguments about how Classic is "defeating" retail while simultaneously being devoid of critical thought. (Past evidence would indicate a rush in the beginning followed by a steep drop off.)
    Ok, I can see where you coming from. But this is not what I'm doing, and I'm sorry if you got that impression. In the end, I'm just saying that while the site might not be 100% correct, it is still trustworthy. You can check mu post history and you will see that I say all the time that classic success will be determined in the the coming months/year, and that I play retail most of my time. Still, is undeniable that the launch was a success, but this does not mean anything if people drop it on the following month.

But regardless, it's good to be skeptic, but I think this data might be close to reality.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    As the hype already is dying there is zero chance, no queues and also generally way less people in every area. I recently leveled my good ol Mage to 43 and there was like 5-10 people ive encountered. To me it seems like 70% of the population is just gone already, but it is likely more towards the 50% by now. Not really that suprising as im just struggling to find any motivation to login there, likely many people feel the same.
    In europe...its a total nightmare...i literally cant quest in rush hours. I simply cant. Too many people.

In europe...its a total nightmare...i literally cant quest in rush hours. I simply cant.
    I play on the biggest german server (where i had 20k queues the first few days) and it's like that, so...

I play on the biggest german server (where i had 20k queues the first few days) and it's like that, so...
    Thats really strange bro.

Im in Gandling EU...did you ever heard the word Gandling in your life? Its just a random ass word for some character we never heard about.
    Nobody chose this server on purpose.

It was one of the new new new NEW servers. I picked it because it had "low population" at start.
    And still i cant level...i need to pick off hours if i want to quest.

Your case is really strange.

I call complete bullshit. There are still queues on the high pop european servers. Questing is almost impossible during daytime due to overpopulation and this is with a ton of layers.

Thats really strange bro.

Im in Gandling EU...did you ever heard the word Gandling in your life? Its just a random ass word for some character we never heard about.
    Nobody chose this server on purpose.

It was one of the new new new NEW servers. I picked it because it had "low population" at start.
    And still i cant level...i need to pick off hours if i want to quest.

Your case is really strange.
    You should consider that Blizzard is probably aggressively reducing number of layers right now. So, pop numbers may drop two or three times while players experience in terms queues and population density stays the same.

I got into it with someone in /world the other day because i insinuated that classic has far more active players than bfa currently, seems as usual i was correct lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Logician View Post
    I don't know if its trustworthy, but it agrees with what a lot were saying. That there were going to be a lot of people interested in Classic, but not as much as an xpac release. And it says that the current xpac's numbers aren't so hot.
    Remember that an expansions costs an amount in addition to a subscription while Classic is just a subscription.

You will always expect an expansions to bring in more money for 1 month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'd say no. A few years ago they published an article--that may still be up as far as I know--that compared revenues in a quarter when Blizzard wasn't releasing anything with WoW with revenues in a quarter where they were selling and releasing a new expansion. Upshot was that Blizzard was in serious trouble because WoW was under-performing. It was laughably stupid. I can do that with any retail business by comparing 4th quarter sales (including Christmas) with sales in basically any other quarter.

Anyway, their little summary says 'estimated' which can mean anything.
    This. It’s reasonably hard to make granular comparisons based on ATVI reporting because they change things nearly every quarter. They also don’t report monthly revenues so this is going to be conjecture.

We will have to wait for Q3 reporting (due out October/Nov).

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    We will have to wait for Q3 reporting (due out October/Nov).
    Next Q is in December (T_T) i cant wait for it...its going to be glorious!

According to the site "Super Data"

https://www.superdataresearch.com/wo...-games-market/

Question is...how did they get this information? And how much can we trust this site?
    It's a trustworthy site. Though the data isn't very surprising, Classic is still at full hype right now, the average player only just finished leveling over the last few weeks, the hype will probably die down around January.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    It's a trustworthy site. Though the data isn't very surprising, Classic is still at full hype right now, the average player only just finished leveling over the last few weeks, the hype will probably die down around January.
    Im only level 49, the highest level of my entire guild majority of my guild is in their 30's...there are only 3 in the early 40's.
    We are an extremely small guild though made exclusively out of Portuguese players found in some random ass server.
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-09-24 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    ITT: salty BFA-fanbois.

twitch's wow classic stream popularity corroborates this by proving a second point of reference.
    And a classicuck looking for some sort of confirmation from data that is a guesstimate.

Im only level 49, the highest level of my entire guild majority of my guild is in their 30's...there are only 3 in the early 40's.
    We are an extremely small guild though made exclusively out of Portuguese players found in some random ass server.
    That's kinda my point, most people have only just hit max level or still haven't. The game hasn't even started for the majority of the playerbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Just go with the usual "Classic Bias Youtuber logic": Speculation = Truth = Clicks

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    ITT: salty BFA-fanbois.

twitch's wow classic stream popularity corroborates this by proving a second point of reference.
    So 80% of the subs are already gone? that doesn't sound good for classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    So 80% of the subs are already gone? that doesn't sound good for classic.
    no no no no! You are supposed to count them only when Asmon is on