Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Yes. I always said that their rework was terrible. They should have just increase polygon count and texture resolution.
    Yeah, cos thats how polygons and texture resolutions work. You just "increase" them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Not sure what it was that went wrong, they moved into the uncanny valley.
    They made minor changes, and some people cannot handle change.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Yeah, cos thats how polygons and texture resolutions work. You just "increase" them.

- - - Updated - - -

They made minor changes, and some people cannot handle change.
    Yeah I've met some of those people. I liked almost every model change they made, but something was off with the night elves. My glorious troll rogue looked better than ever tho

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Yeah I've met some of those people. I liked almost every model change they made, but something was off with the night elves. My glorious troll rogue looked better than ever tho
    Some are HUGE improvements, some looked awkward as fuck in 2004, some have lost a bit of punch. Thats change.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    orc female has way better anims in classic
    No, they really, really do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

Absolutely not.

The new models are an upgrade in every possible way, playing Classic and seeing this fucking abortion staring at me was a harrowing experience that reminds me why I almost never played them pre-WoD.

Same goes for all races, there’s a lot more personality and expression to the new models that the old ones with their painted on eyes and permanent expressions will never have.

7+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up

Fabled
    I prefer the old male human models. The updated ones just look..tacky. It doesn't help a lot of the hair on any of the newer models looks rather fake.
    ^ this (which is completely true with regard to animations), also
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    and by the way <click(+ funny conditionally recent part by same person)> together with a lot of other stuff.

New models are fundamentally different from old ones, nothing in common in style.
    Aeula
    --- snip ---
    It remains to be guessed where you got this picture. Let me guess, is this an old face on a new face geometry/animation frame (Legion's "old models")? since I find it a very problematic task to get such in normal conditions.

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I got it from WoW classic during the brief period where you could create characters and reserve names.
    In any case, I believe, that I don't need to indicate a complete your picture discrepancy, for example, to video below?
    (by the way, it’s very possible that there was still some definite moment of “hybridity” at that stage, who knows) Looks like this is first one (regarding lips' color), no?

- - - Updated - - -

Nerovar
    Never seen this. Good work.
    I have friend, who at one time very closely dealt with this issue (cursing "gentlemen designers" on the forum), all credits goes in that direction, although there're also some my pictures in that kit. Being completely disappointed in this game's devs, this person left community already about 3 years ago, and work remained forgotten.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-09-29 at 11:23 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Does anyone feel like the classic models look and feel better than retail? I can't say that for the majority of races. I think the updated models look fantastic. But Night Elves...I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Yep, the Night Elves look much besser in Classic. They really botched them with the model update.

and by the way <click> together with a lot of other stuff.
    Never seen this. Good work.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2019-09-29 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    yeah it's weird but the old models have something, most of the new models (with exceptions of course) feels like they're lacking some soul for some unknown reason

edit: yeah and on new models hair often looks so fake for some reason, I think it has to do with the color palette, on the old model textures are much more "gradient", on the new model it's more of the same color everywhere with less declination on the spectrum of color, while on the old ones they also mixed some colors in a subtle way even though the polygon count was lower
    My theory is more that they stopped working on the nelf models mid progress - for unknown reasons. They really look like a bad April's fools joke, especially the females. They are not at all true to the old model, it's like completely different characters. New models often fail to retain "the soul", the look and feel of the old model imo.

I made a comparison video back in the WoD Beta. Still true. New models are awful. Higher polygon count does not always translate into better art. Does Monet's painting "Water Lilies" suck just because it's not "painted" in high definition?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    My theory is more that they stopped working on the nelf models mid progress - for unknown reasons. They really look like a bad April's fools joke, especially the females. They are not at all true to the old model, it's like completely different characters. New models often fail to retain "the soul", the look and feel of the old model imo.

I made a comparison video back in the WoD Beta. Still true. New models are awful. Higher polygon count does not always translate into better art. Does Monet's painting "Water Lilies" suck just because it's not "painted" in high definition?

Well, that was one minute of looking at... wait, what was I supposed to look at anyway? Old models clearly win on the boobs front though, that much I can tell. New ones look fake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

and by the way <click> together with a lot of other stuff.

New models are fundamentally different from old ones, nothing in common in style.
    It remains to be guessed where you got this picture. Let me guess, is this an old face on a new face geometry/animation frame (Legion's "old models")? since I find it a very problematic task to get such in normal conditions.
    I have friend, who at one time very closely dealt with this issue (cursing "gentlemen designers" on the forum), all credits goes in that direction, although there're also some my pictures in that kit. Being completely disappointed in this game's devs, this person left community already about 3 years ago, and work remained forgotten.
    I got it from WoW classic during the brief period where you could create characters and reserve names.

Last edited by Aeula; 2019-09-29 at 09:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main problem with the new Models of the Draenei have always been the faces. They changed the personality completely, made them look goofy/derpy and subsequently disconnected me from my character.

The new models were one of the major steps of why it was very easy for me to stop playing WoW actively.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Well, that was one minute of looking at... wait, what was I supposed to look at anyway? Old models clearly win on the boobs front though, that much I can tell. New ones look fake.
    Well, it's pretty much everywhere
    -facial features (old one looks youthful, new one look like a botoxed milf)
    -markings (old ones were refined, new ones look like a 3 year olds fingerpaint)
    -eyes (old model looks more feral, new model looks like.. I don't even know, as if they put lightbulbs in it)
    -animations in general (new model doesn't even have a breathing animation, just look at her chest)
    -hair (new one looks like a wig to me)
    -new model has FLOPPY ears, too, which the old model doesn't have
    -new model is just swaying like drunk at blinking as she was trying to get rid of something in here eye
    -also the arms and fingers of the new model have no idle animation while the old ones does have that

But, if you can look at this and see - basically nothing, well, it indicates to me you don't care what your character looks like.
    Last edited by Eggroll; 2019-09-29 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I prefer the old male human models. The updated ones just look..tacky. It doesn't help a lot of the hair on any of the newer models looks rather fake.
    Pretty much. I think every remodel was great except humans, a shame as I'd mained one for however many years from TBC to WoD and it just didn't feel the same.

I'd probably feel the same way about [X race] if that had been the one I'd mained for that long though, so I'll accept its just a personal thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Factsbeforefeelings View Post
    but the rest of the model looks worse.
    Cough undead

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    I'm still surprised they didn't allow them to be toggled. There's really no reason they couldn't have done that.
    Retail still exists if you want to see updated character models.
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-09-29 at 10:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Well, it's pretty much everywhere
    -facial features (old one looks youthful, new one look like a botoxed milf)
    -markings (old ones were refined, new ones look like a 3 year olds fingerpaint)
    -eyes (old model looks more feral, new model looks like.. I don't even know, as if they put lightbulbs in it)
    -animations in general (new model doesn't even have a breathing animation, just look at her chest)
    -hair (new one looks like a wig to me)
    -new model has FLOPPY ears, too, which the old model doesn't have
    -new model is just swaying like drunk at blinking as she was trying to get rid of something in here eye
    -also the arms and fingers of the new model have no idle animation while the old ones does have that

But, if you can look at this and see - basically nothing, well, it indicates to me you don't care what your character looks like.
    Geez, I was just joking. Of course I noticed more than just boobs.

I did notice the breathing animation while inspecting the old one's chest, for example.

It's good to have a side-by-side comparison in any case, makes it easy to spot the differences.

Check out this early alpha model for Nelf female. Apparently it was confirmed to be scrapped and they were remade, but this model looks almost the exact same as what we have on live. The only differences are the underwear and the abs not being visible (the abs were added later and there was a massive debate over it).

Blizzard reusing this explains why the Nelf textures are so bad and low quality on the new model. It doesn't excuse the awful bouncy animations on the new model though. Same goes with the Nelf male's awful swaying idle animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie081 View Post
    Snip.^^^^^^^^^up^^up^^above^^^
    WOD alpha
    Not Classic alpha
    (Warlords of Draenor)
    Last edited by Zakajz; 2019-09-29 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakajz View Post
    WOD alpha
    Not Classic alpha
    (Warlords of Draenor)
    Where did I say it was Classic alpha? I'm pretty sure I made that post with the awareness that I was talking about how bad the new model looks, and provide an explanation for why the new model looks so bad.

I believe nightelfs were too popular because they were too sexy.

Blizzard changed that with the model redo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Yes. I did OpenGL programming back in the day. You just increase polygon count and things look better (but take more time to render).

Well, female boobs could be buffed too, I wouldn't protest about that