Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality

I'm sure Blizzard will launch TBC and Wrath in gap years between Retail expansions

2020 new retail expansion
    2021 TBC
    2022 new retail expansion
    2023 Wotlk

This makes the most business sense, but I am sure they will introduce new server for the expansions and keep the old ones seperate/merged.

This gives people plenty of time to enjoy the content and if they are bored with one version, they might visit the other after the expansion launched.
    What their plans are beyond wotlk I can't tell. If the rumors are true that there is another major world alteration planned in a future retail expansion, then even Cataclysm servers might be attractive to "visit the first alteration".

They could also merge cataclysm and MOP or skip cataclysm stages altogether and go directly for MOP's state.

10+ Year Old Account
    With wotlk server the cycle will be complete, I could die happy forever in the frozen wastes.

You're missing Classic+ being included in there.

I do believe TBC will release but it won't be as successful as Classic+ as it introduces too many changes which are against the classic community.

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post

I do believe TBC will release but it won't be as successful as Classic+ as it introduces too many changes which are against the classic community.
    A number of people playing Classic are doing so while waiting for TBC. I can't give you a number because I don't have one, but if I had to guess I would say we are not a few. By all means keep Classic servers separate, but the second TBC is out again I know where I will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    A number of people playing Classic are doing so while waiting for TBC. I can't give you a number because I don't have one, but if I had to guess I would say we are not a few. By all means keep Classic servers separate, but the second TBC is out again I know where I will be.
    TBC was truly a more polished "Classic". Fixed some glaring class/spec issues, refined certain systems (professions mostly, from my POV), added some interesting new abilities that improved gameplay (think Lifebloom for Druids, which changed their healing style), etc.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    TBC was truly a more polished "Classic". Fixed some glaring class/spec issues, refined certain systems (professions mostly, from my POV), added some interesting new abilities that improved gameplay (think Lifebloom for Druids, which changed their healing style), etc.
    That is very true. The xpac felt like an improvement to instead of a faint rework of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    That's my take as well tbh, in addition to many QoL changes (meeting stones summons being very high on the list). Plus, as much as I don't mind in Classic so far the lack of flying, it's one of the things that truly made TBC special for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    "TBC WHEN?" is a very common statement with the people I play with. It's become a meme. Any time something annoying about Classic happens, be it the general grind or the dated class design, the first thing most of us ask is "TBC WHEN?!?". TBC is just flat out better in most aspects. It's understandable if you disagree, but I think most people, and I say that with only anecdotal evidence, seem to enjoy TBC/WotLK more than Classic.

Personally I don't like Classic's gameplay. It's grindy, slow, and the class mechanics just have too many holes. TBC improved upon basically everything I enjoy about the game.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I could see them releasing TBC servers. Not so much Wrath. Wrath was basically where the modern retail WoW started. They could pick pretty much any other expansion and it would be more fun to relive than Wrath.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    How do you propose this actually happens, hmm? The game was marketed as Classic - that is, Vanilla WoW for people who wanted Vanilla WoW. If you're looking at this game JUST to wait for TBC/Wrath, guess what - Classic is not aimed at you.

What do you expect will happen if people start pushing for TBC? You can't just move the Classic servers up to TBC, because you'll piss off the people who wanted to just play Classic for Classic. You'll also find exactly the same situation we're in now where people clamour for their Vanilla back so we end up doing this whole thing over and over again.

Separate client for TBC? Now you have your player base split between THREE games. Plus that then opens the doors for people to shout for separate WOTLK servers, or separate MoP servers etc, and then all of a sudden your game is irreparably fragmented and your team is stretched to the limit trying to keep everything spinning.

When will you people get it through your head that you asked for Classic, so you're getting Classic. Fanboys say retail players only ever want instant gratification but there are already people wanting Classic to move to TBC, Jesus Christ.

Oh yeah - it's because Classic actually finally launched and the rose-tinted goggles came off and lots of people finally realised how fucking terrible Vanilla was
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2019-09-30 at 11:26 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do people keep thinking they are going to release the previous expansions? Classic may just Stay as Classic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I could see them releasing TBC servers. Not so much Wrath. Wrath was basically where the modern retail WoW started. They could pick pretty much any other expansion and it would be more fun to relive than Wrath.
    What this guy said TBC master xpac if/when they release this I’d probably never play another game! Wrath is a bit unnecessary, MoP would be the same just better.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post

Separate client for TBC? Now you have your player base split between THREE games. Plus that then opens the doors for people to shout for separate WOTLK servers, or separate MoP servers etc, and then all of a sudden your game is irreparably fragmented and your team is stretched to the limit trying to keep everything spinning.
    Dude, 100% guarantee that even with the community split 4, even 5 ways, there'll be enough people to fully populate a handful of servers. It's really not that bad. A single GM team -- the same GM team -- can handle multiple games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post

When will you people get it through your head that you asked for Classic, so you're getting Classic. Fanboys say retail players only ever want instant gratification but there are already people wanting Classic to move to TBC, Jesus Christ.

Oh yeah - it's because Classic actually finally launched and the rose-tinted goggles came off and lots of people finally realised how fucking terrible Vanilla was
    Oh and this is just stupid. Seriously stupid. "You asked for classic".

No. I didn't ask for Classic. And a lot of people have perfectly high interest in revisiting TBC or WotLK, but very little interest in Classic. Can you count such people among those who asked for Classic? No. Of course you can't. I'm playing Classic because It's still better than BfA imo, but I didn''t ask for it, and I'm playing it because I figure chances of getting what I really want, that is TBC, are higher if I play Classic.

And I'm not alone. I have a bunch of RL friends who would gladly return to WoW if they did TBC, but who have no interest in Vanilla. Did THEY ask for Classic? Does the logic that Classic only just came out and to not be impatient, to just enjoy it first before moving on apply to THEM? They're not alone either; look around all the WoW forums and you'll find people expressing similar feelings.

I mean, it's not even logical, what you're saying. A whole portion of the people who'll come back for TBC aren't even playing Classic, so they're technically not fragmenting anything. They're returning. And among those who DO fragment away from Classic, well you do realise that there's still going to be way more than enough people in each game to fill realms up? I honestly swear logic flies the coop with some people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    Why do people keep thinking they are going to release the previous expansions? Classic may just Stay as Classic.
    Because it makes financial sense? Nobody is expecting them to replace the Classic servers. Merely add new ones, or a TBC client.

-Most of legwork already done so TBC is cheaper and quicker to do.
    -Beloved expansions that millions would want to revisit.
    -OP's point regarding it being a perfect way to fill the mid-expansion lulls going forward.
    -Er, maybe the fact Blizz themselves hinted it's a possible route?

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    Now you're just being silly. It's really not a terrible game. If it were so terrible then WoW wouldn't have ever taken off. I'm actually enjoying Classic quite a bit. It's just... nowhere near as fun for me as TBC or WotLK, which were IMO, the height of WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Yet opinion polls and sub numbers beg to differ. Most of the time when I see a poll or discussion, people say Wrath was their favourite.
    I'd LOVE wrath but with no LFD or Heirlooms. And I'd rather Wrath than Cata, or WoD. *shudders*.
    Last edited by Will; 2019-10-01 at 02:46 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter if they have different clients for different games honestly. So what if TBC isn't that successful (hypothetically). Even if it launched and had half the servers classic currently has pretty full, that's a pretty big success for me.

They started down this path for a reason. It's something people want, which is good PR, and it's also a good business move. My generation of gamers and the generation before me/slightly after like delving back into older games from time to time, so doing it with different iterations of WoW.

Whether you like this aspect of WoW or not, people need to remember that each expansion has things that are massively familiar to every single one (personally, I think that's dungeons/raids, which have been a solid pillar of WoW for 15 years, regardless of difficulty). What it does however is change the formula, and a lot of classes change every expansion. That's good, or it's bad depending on your view point on it. While WoW can feel the same from Classic to BFA in some regards, they're effectively different games and play differently.

The undertaking to do things beyond classic (which has been pointed out) is massively easier to produce than re-doing classic was. All the ground work has been done, and they simply have to turn it on. Would it be smart to have three versions of the game out at the same time, when all three still have phases/patch cycles to go through? It's not, and I doubt Blizzard would be dumb enough to release TBC before Classic is on it's final phase. Having three versions of the game when one of the "classic" versions eventually goes dormant is fine though.

Expect it, it's going to happen. Even having half a dozen servers with people playing an old version of the game is worth it. It adds value to your 15 dollar subscription and the old expansions are different enough to make it feel like a new game. Each time they release one will be north of a decade since it was first available, so it will feel 'new'.

Classic was the big thing people wanted, and personally, if they want to 'experiment' with changing fundamentals with TBC or an eventual WoTLK launch, I'd be all for it. Whether it be balance changes they wanted to do but couldn't, or difficulty tuning that they regretted at the time. I'm sorry, but if they released WoTLK again, it would be the perfect opportunity to make the dungeons harder, and the new Naxxaramas not a complete fucking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    "TBC WHEN?" is a very common statement with the people I play with. It's become a meme. Any time something annoying about Classic happens, be it the general grind or the dated class design, the first thing most of us ask is "TBC WHEN?!?". TBC is just flat out better in most aspects. It's understandable if you disagree, but I think most people, and I say that with only anecdotal evidence, seem to enjoy TBC/WotLK more than Classic.

Personally I don't like Classic's gameplay. It's grindy, slow, and the class mechanics just have too many holes. TBC improved upon basically everything I enjoy about the game.
    I believe you completely misunderstood what I said, or you misquoted my post, because I agree with you that TBC is better in almost every way and I really can't wait for it, same with a number of people. Classic is also good though for what it is, so I am not really complaining about it.

I would jump on TBC Classic in a heartbeat. Superior to vanilla in every way with regards to actual attempts at class balancing, unlike the non-existent one in Vanilla.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-10-05 at 08:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I’ve been waiting for a decent TBC server for years, I hope Blizzard delivers it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    I would jump on TBC Classic in a heartbeat.
    This.
    Also: Spacegoats.
    I could see a TBC server happening once all content is out for classic and the majority finished it (a.k.a. when player # starts to drop for good).

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post

lol there is no classic+ without micro transactions.good luck convincing the people who hold the money to even consider new content for a game with out them. TBC is way cheaper option for blizz and can be justified to have no micro transactions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello Trumpi View Post
    2020 new retail expansion
    2021 TBC
    2022 new retail expansion
    2023 Wotlk

This makes the most business sense, but I am sure they will introduce new server for the expansions and keep the old ones seperate/merged.

This gives people plenty of time to enjoy the content and if they are bored with one version, they might visit the other after the expansion launched.
    What their plans are beyond wotlk I can't tell. If the rumors are true that there is another major world alteration planned in a future retail expansion, then even Cataclysm servers might be attractive to "visit the first alteration".

They could also merge cataclysm and MOP or skip cataclysm stages altogether and go directly for MOP's state.
    Hopefully they'll just upgrade the Classic servers.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..