Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Dementia is a thing and not something a president should have. Not saying Bernie is dement here but still it's pretty damn common with elderly people. Randomly starts screaming what year is this where is the nuke codes haha stuff like that.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    i disagree with this idea. as long as they aren't suffering from mental issues they should be able to run.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I'm in the camp that age shouldn't be the determining factor for when old is "too old". I know several people in their 80's who are every bit as quick-witted and on the ball as anyone in their 30's or 40's, so age itself is a bit too arbitrary. I do, however, think that regular, semi-annual mental and psychological checkups should be a must for any positions in the federal government, conducted by a small team of independent reputable experts. Not "my whackjob personal physician says I'm a genius!"

As far as the concern that older people will only be concerned with "old-people" political issues, all the more reason for younger people to get off their asses and vote for like-minded candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I'm in the camp that age shouldn't be the determining factor for when old is "too old". I know several people in their 80's who are every bit as quick-witted and on the ball as anyone in their 30's or 40's, so age itself is a bit too arbitrary. I do, however, think that regular, semi-annual mental and psychological checkups should be a must for any positions in the federal government, conducted by a small team of independent reputable experts. Not "my whackjob personal physician says I'm a genius!"
    The problem is that people in their 80s are far more likely to do things like say "that project that will improve things 20 years from now will impede me NOW so fuck it, no funding" because they know that in 20 years they'll be dead or won't care, but they'll be inconvenienced now so no it can't be done. Let's raise the amount of money and welfare that over 65 people get instead, because they get the benefit without any of the problem of caring about the future.

Whether a candidate is too old should be decided by the voters.

I actually agree with zenkai here, when McCain was thought of as "too old" in 2008, people looked to see who he was going to pick for VP. He went way young, with Sarah Palin, and if she wasn't batshit insane and dumb, it would have probably reassured people.

When I look at the top candidates today: Trump seems too old, Biden seems like he's slowly losing grip, Bernie doesn't seem to be too old but he seems a lot like a grumpy grandfather......and Warren and HRC seem to still be sharp as knives. These five are all relatively the same age, I don't feel comfortable barring Warren because Trump can't string together coherent sentences.

That being said, Reagan having dementia for his second term as President should have had an easier way to deal with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post

As far as the concern that older people will only be concerned with "old-people" political issues, all the more reason for younger people to get off their asses and vote for like-minded candidates.
    Yeah, the problem with reducing it to a more nebulous qualifier of "mental and psychological checkups" is that is rife with potential for corruption and abuse.

Versus, say, a specific guideline based on the median or average - like a mandatory retirement age since it is known that the majority of people experience cognitive decline from their mid-70s onwards.

Again, the minimum voting age is exactly this concept in practice. You can't have it both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s called science, not magic.
    Genetics is magic? Healthcare is Magic? You sure do like to invent your own arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    Ageism?

LOL this is a thing now?

Sorry I don't want some 85 year old running the country just like I wouldn't want them driving near me or my kids.
    good then don't vote for them, I mean you have something called options.

that is why there is a VP to take over....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Contrary to someones feelings the reality is that the older you get, the worse your cognitive capabilities become. Sure, not the same level for everyone, but it still does.
    There are so many "eternal leaders" basically just existing, all those 90 year old presidents, who barely can move and speak, let alone work.
    If there is a minimum age, why there should not be a maximum?
    That age is different for each individual, and the extent to which it declines also varies wildly. I'd prefer a cognitive function requirement be added, rather than an age cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Which is why the limit should match retirement age... which is currently 65. The minimum should be based on military enlistment, which is 18.
    Do you think that retired persons are incapable of being President? I think they would be the perfect candidate for the Presidency, considering they've lived a life and know its hardships. I wouldn't want an 18 year old (most of which live with their parents) making my retirement policies, that's for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Do you think that retired persons are incapable of being President? I think they would be the perfect candidate for the Presidency, considering they've lived a life and know its hardships. I wouldn't want an 18 year old (most of which live with their parents) making my retirement policies, that's for sure.
    Considering that, again, people above a certain age experience a rapid decline in cognitive faculty to the point they may as well be adolescents: yes. Some teenagers are more mature than others, but I can guarantee you that isn't going to shift your opinion on underage voting - so why should some retirees being sharper than others apply here?

If you're not okay with someone under 18 being President you should not be okay with someone over 75.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

we need people under the age of 35 to be able to run
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Considering that, again, people above a certain age experience a rapid decline in cognitive faculty to the point they may as well be adolescents: yes. Some teenagers are more mature than others, but I can guarantee you that isn't going to shift your opinion on underage voting - so why should some retirees being sharper than others apply here?

If you're not okay with someone under 18 being President you should not be okay with someone over 75.
    I don't agree with your logic here, but why does it need to be legislated? The entire point of a democracy is letting people choose. Adding an age restriction is restricting democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a 66 year old person, regardless if they are retired, is as capable of being president, as a 17 year old.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with your logic here, but why does it need to be legislated? The entire point of a democracy is letting people choose. Adding an age restriction is restricting democracy.
    The entire point of democracy is giving people a direct stake in their government.

It does not, however, mean letting A. Ficus Plant on the ballot because enough memelords signed a petition.

Qualifications exist for every job and politician/administrator should be no different.

I think a 66 year old person, regardless if they are retired, is as capable of being president, as a 17 year old.
    I completely disagree. I think life experience is a hugely qualifying factor to run a country, and there are zero 17 year olds that can compete with a 66 year old's experiences. There might be a handful in the country with enough knowledge to come even close to being able to run a country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The entire point of democracy is giving people a direct stake in their government.

It does not, however, mean letting A. Ficus Plant on the ballot because enough memelords signed a petition.

Qualifications exist for every job and politician/administrator should be no different.
    Memelords should be able to put anyone that qualifies on the ballot. And an arbitrary age limit doesn't work for democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely disagree. I think life experience is a hugely qualifying factor to run a country, and there are zero 17 year olds that can compete with a 66 year old's experiences. There might be a handful in the country with enough knowledge to come even close to being able to run a country.
    There are 0 65 year olds, who are as close to their peak ability to learn and comprehend, as a 17 year old. It should be 18, because if you are old enough to die for the country, you are old enough to choose to die for the country. It’s 65, because that’s retirement age. Both 18 and 65 are codified as definitions of autonomous responsibility. It would be consistent... lacking emotion, but seeking symmetry in existing law.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

There are 0 65 year olds, who are as close to their peak ability to learn and comprehend, as a 17 year old. It should be 18, because if you are old enough to die for the country, you are old enough to choose to die for the country. It’s 65, because that’s retirement age. Both 18 and 65 are codified as definitions of autonomous responsibility. It would be consistent... lacking emotion, but seeking symmetry in existing law.
    I think it should be up to the people to decide who is best suited for the job, not arbitrarily set age limits. Age does not define a person, their qualifications should be the only thing holding them back.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    One point with having young people fight for the country is probably related to the odds that they would not fully perceive the risk to themselves and thus are more easily made to die for the country

It is probably not a good thing when looking for rulers of countries with nuclear weapons

Nor is dementia obviously

10+ Year Old Account
    Memelords should be able to put anyone that qualifies on the ballot. And an arbitrary age limit doesn't work for democracy.
    What qualifiers other than age do you think are necessary, exactly?

Because, fun fact; age is a qualification, and all qualifications are arbitrary.