Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    If President Warren/Biden, in their first week, tell their Congressional allies exactly what powers they want to surrender, a bill would sail through Congress.

My list is absolutely immense. It starts with making the War Powers Act not a joke. It goes through basically strangling the entire concept of "Executive Privilege" and "Unitary Executive Theory" to death. And it concludes with making the President unable to declare any national emergencies without a vote in favor by congress... no more of this "motion of disapproval" nonsense.

It's by far the most important thing that the next President can do. More important than Climate Change. More important than Health Care. The concentration of power in the Presidency and the incredible ability of even this incompetent shit show of an administration to stall or prevent oversight makes that concentration a fundamental threat to our constitutional order.

It's top of the list. It's more important than anything. Because the Next Demagogue won't be as sloppy or as stupid as Trump. This country is ripe for an Emperor in all by name. We have set ourselves up for it very nicely.

Wanna know how perverse it is? You have criminals like John Yoo writing in the New York Times "Beware Impeaching Trump. It could Hurt the Presidency."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/24/o...ine-trump.html

The fuck?!

*there are Americans who want an Emperor in all but name*. It's so clear. The Presidency could use some hurting. It could use a lot of hurting.

As far as I'm concerned, the most important questions to be asked of any candidate over the next year is what they will do to curtail Presidential power and hand it back to Congress.

- - - Updated - - -

They will not. Because what I'm discussing means passing laws. You break the powers of the Presidency by passing laws that do so and having a willing President sign them into laws. Laws that require 60 votes in the Senate.

Even when a Republican President comes around, there won't be 60 votes to undo them.

And I'm talking structural things, like preventing the President from being able to fire the Special Counsel or Attorney General, without the approval of Congress and/or having judicial oversight on the grounds of the dismissal. Or ending the President's ability to move funds around in a budget. Or mandating that all figures who hold executive branch positions must divest themselves of business affairs and make their financial records public.

Once there is a law that mandates this, it will be very hard to pass a law to overturn it. And courts will enforce it.

I am completely correct in how this will work.
    Why do you think McConnell would even allow those bills to come up for a vote, much less be able to gain enough support to pass? McConnell has shown he has zero qualms with bucking rules and norms if it can benefit him and his party. He won't get on board with curtailing power in a way he can't easily remove once the power shifts back to the GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Do you think McConnel will retain a majority in the Senate in 2022?
    With the way the GOP has been able to effectively stack the electoral map in their favor since 2010, and with how the current Senate map looks in 2020, I would not be willing to rule that possibility out right now. At the very least we need to see how 2020 shakes out before we even begin to plan with the assumption that the Dems retake the Senate in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It walks a lot... it’s not just talk. It’s true due to the nature of US politics. The majority of the time your representatives spend working, is in call center like booths. Calling leads, like any scummy sales man. That’s most of the time... seeking money...

Alec Baldwin in US politics is the whip... the sales man are the representatives and the leads... well, that’s us.
    Always bothers me when people use that clip as motivation, considering in the film he's explicitly a hype man for a rigged system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Do you think McConnel will retain a majority in the Senate in 2022?
    Believe it or not it's actually the most likely thing to happen.

You may laugh at the GOP and Trump, and frankly the House GOP IS something to laugh at, but Mitch McConnell is a firm and capable leader who has a strong conference behind him.

I think we're likely to see a GOP Senate for many more years and quite frankly the GOP has a strong advantage in terms of swing seats in the Senate and not because of anything related to electoral trickery.

It boils down to ideological flexibility. @Skroe has argued this but I'll push it further. After losing elections in the past because of the purists taking down solid candidates that would have won crucial races Mitch McConnell put his foot down and told they could go to hell before they primaried another one of his senators.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2019-10-08 at 03:20 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."