Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    Did you really think that one through before sending?
    it wasn't very Joker like nothing in the story would have changed if he hadn't been dressed as the Joker

7+ Year Old Account
    Box Office: 'Joker' Has the Last Laugh With Record $96M U.S. Bow, $247M Globally
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...source=twitter

I cried twice :')
    First time when he got to know his mom was nuts and second time when he shot jimmy kimmel guy.
    It was very mentally challenging, cuz Arthur is basically me, except i'm not adopted. It was a successful therapy for me, i healed a few issues.

This movie is everything we need in 2019! It's not about a crazy guy, it's about an environment that makes good guys go crazy.
    It could be just a bit better with a scene where he shoots an angry purple-haired fat bitch

We are all clowns, boys
    Last edited by iosdeveloper; 2019-10-07 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    I cried twice :')
    First time when he got to know his mom was nuts and second time when he shot jimmy kimmel guy.
    It was very mentally challenging, cuz Arthur is basically me.

This movie is everything we need in 2019!
    It could be just a bit better with a scene when he shoots an angry purple-haired fat bitch

We are all clowns, boys
    You need help...

Quote Originally Posted by Solitare-sp View Post
    You need help...
    He probably knows this, and he most likely does, but you're not helping.

This movie is not about good guys going bad though.

It's showing that under those specific conditions, paired with poor education, etc, a human being can become so tormented and tortured that he lashes back.

Of course you can still have cases like his nowadays, but let's be honest, you have the internet, and with sufficient self-control you can learn to live in harmony with everyone.

The movie was very eh but the portrayal of the joker was good. Would love to see this guy be the joker some more.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Why quote a very old quote right after a mod warning? What is your deal mate
    The mode warning was for saying something political. I have not done tha here. I merely referenced the event, and the methodology applied.

That said, I’m not living in fear of anyone. Nor will I walk on eggshells for anyone either.

Decent film, with tour-de force performance from Phoenix that elevates everything else. Good cinematography, atmosphere and music as well.

Not sure it deserves the controversy it has received, but understand to a degree as there is practically something in the film that will piss everyone off right across the political spectrum. Are make it appear that certain groups like/dislike/are offended by it so therefore "we must adopt a counter opinion of the film and what we think it represents".

just watched it today, good movie but a bit long for my liking. Give it a solid 8, some good acting, good music and some great settings. Not sure what all the fuss was about, with people being offended etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post
    just watched it today, good movie but a bit long for my liking. Give it a solid 8, some good acting, good music and some great settings. Not sure what all the fuss was about, with people being offended etc.
    Sounds about right - they could have trimmed like 20 minutes worth of pointless slow dance out.

i would love it more with a lysergic ending, with things that increasingly lose meaning (like his "love story"). but even this is good, its still an american movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solid film. Phoenix' performance was outstanding (but he always is).
    Cinematography was excellent.
    The music (and when it was used) was spot on.

The story was great, up until the climax, and his whole performance on Murray's show... Which felt like an affectation. Up until then Joker had felt worryingly grounded, then suddenly going super campy and over the top. Then shoots a guy. It seemed a little TOO much.

But then, after that it balanced out, because the last sequence was back to being brilliant.

Overall, I'd probably say Phoenix was 10/10, movie was 8/10.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Saw it this evening.
    I'm not a huge Joker fan myself... but this is the best movie this year (so far) for me personally. I dare say Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal is on Heath Ledger's level (even tho it's a pretty different take on the character). I hope he gets the praise he definitely deserves.

Everyone in his life and in the city at large is at least a fucking douchebag at base level. The 'Gotham is a shithole' feeling is everywhere. Arthur is misguided, ill and the treatment is failing him. His mother's medical file scene felt particularly devastating.

The love interest from his apartment building plot is particularly interesting, you get a subtle hint that things are moving suspiciously fast on that front, and the eventual hallucination reveal is pretty hard-hitting - I think it's ambiguous if he lets them live?
    I saw it on Sunday and this is pretty much on the nose. I agree, the scene when he discovers he's not Thomas Wayne's bastard son but instead a victim of his mother's insanity-induced neglect and abuse as a child that led to his neurological trauma was like a punch to the gut. How do you come back from that? You can't, no matter how strong-willed, and when you've already had a taste of violence and discover you're numb to it, even the strongest mind will crack. It completely stripped him of all empathy and subsequent remorse where he could choke the mother he loved and cared for all his adult life without batting an eye, and then shoot his idol pointblank in the face. It all clicks so perfectly, in such a twisted, depressing, and yet triumphant way that you find yourself rooting for a psychopath.

Like you pointed out, the performance is on Ledger's level, which is above Nicholson and Romero's, and WELL above Leto's which is all the way down there. And while the level of skill is comparable to Ledger's, it's still a different Joker, like one of the three versions of the Joker that exists according to Metron. Ledger's is 1, Phoenix's is 2, let's see who will bring version 3 to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    While I also dislike that joker, to be fair, the dude didn't had much of a chance to begin with…

The movie was just meh and he barely had much screen time at all.
    Even if you only have five minutes of screen time, you have a whole five minutes to wow someone. The best do it. I'm not saying Jared Leto isn't talented, he's not, but whatever he tried, his interpretation, it fell flat, whether he had 180 minutes or 20 minutes. But when an actor gives it his all in even a minor role, that's how they break out, like Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Twister.

10+ Year Old Account
    overall the movie was probably the best one since interstellar, for me at least.

It still left a few things ambiguous, and I'm not sure how to feel about that since there won't be a sequel to clarify them.

And I feel like the movie should've been like at least 10minutes longer towards the end.

It also makes want more movies in the same universe, an arkham asylum movie where he meets Harley, corrupts her and escapes from the asylum with her help, and another movie with Batman but from Joker's perspective, just like this movie. Don't even show Batman if the Joker isn't there to see him, or in the news or something.

I also like the theory a guy above posted about the film actually taking place in present time and it all being just a recounting of his for the psychiatrist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just watch it.

Felt like the first half of it was drawn out.

I'm leaning to agree that the movie is essentially a great performance by Phoenix and that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one told me that this movie was going to be funny. Theres a lot good jokes, though you have to have a bit of a dark sense of humor. Just one that sticks out was when he killed his coworker and told the other one to leave. Guy goes to the door and can't reach the lock so Joker has to let him out. That was hilarious.

The movie had a lot more elements than what I expected but it plays out how I think most would assume it would (unless you thought they were going to 'good guy' Joker). Easy nominations during award season, it hits all the checkboxes.

I could tell some people in my theater thought the movie was going to be different, saw one couple walkout.

I'm going to go back and read this thread but the end through me off slightly. was the origin story in his head or was it real? He is still a sociopath (this Joker might be a psychopath though) but the entire movie could have been his psychoses - especially since he didn't feel like he was real like in a dream.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Sounds like there are some elements of American Psycho.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sounds like there are some elements of American Psycho.
    One Hour Photo + American Psycho = Joker

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the movie was boring, uninspired, and don't see this remarkable acting job everyone claims is there. All this build up on working on his laugh, how he brought the character to life...no. It literally looked and sounded like Joaquin Phoenix on a sugar high then crash. That's not a revolutionary acting job to me. His voice sounded like himself, his laugh sounded like his own laugh....nothing I saw in that movie was impressive.

When someone plays joker, I expect it to be transformative...especially when all the reviews are stating it is. It's not. Overhyped movie with Phoenix delivering an overthought performance with little results.
    BAD WOLF