Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Yeah dude, I'm sure that Chris, his wife and brother are all working in this for free, it's all for the sake of fulfilling gamers dreams.

Considering Chris hasn't release a video game since 2003, I guess that 4,5 million dollar house funds came from his highly successful Hollywood career.
    you do realise his wing commander series has generated 400 million and his film company had over 100 million in profit and selling digital anvil to microsoft, so he has a fair few million in the bank at the very least before even starting star citizen kickstarter.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2019-10-05 at 06:48 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    as long as the job is getting done what does it matter and do they even take a salary for the jobs
    The job getting 'done' is highly debatable by this point. I love how you try to handwave it away as if some of them are there working for charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    what?
    Since when is it a secret his wife works as the head of marketing and is shit at it? We've talked about that for years. We've talked about the 2 of them using SC to enrich themselves for years.
    It was originally a secret until Derek Smart blew the cover. Even then, people didn't believe it until Chris posted his massive rant and admitted it. Up until that point, Chris and Sandi were even lying about their relationship on stream.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shhhh! Don't say his name! Tbh I don't blame anyone for not believing that dude, the guy is a wack job.
    He's even more incapable of releasing a complete game than Chris Roberts is since his last project bombed.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    It was originally a secret until Derek Smart blew the cover. Even then, people didn't believe it until Chris posted his massive rant and admitted it. Up until that point, Chris and Sandi were even lying about their relationship on stream.
    It was such a stupid situation. The initial pitch video showed them doing the happy families thing, it was so obvious. I remember fans arguing until they were blue in the face that Sandi and Chris weren't married and then when it came out - the very same people were like "'Oh big deal, everyone knew already!" Really funny.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    It was such a stupid situation. The initial pitch video showed them doing the happy families thing, it was so obvious. I remember fans arguing until they were blue in the face that Sandi and Chris weren't married and then when it came out - the very same people were like "'Oh big deal, everyone knew already!" Really funny.
    I'm not even sure why it matters. Common law relationships are quite popular among that particular generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    The job getting 'done' is highly debatable by this point. I love how you try to handwave it away as if some of them are there working for charity.
    the marketing side is not as important as the development of the game side and chris was rich before he even started thinking about SC so salary would hardly be an issue if they had one or not.

chris was rich before he even started thinking about SC so salary would hardly be an issue if they had one or not.
    Source? As far as I know the last thing Chris had going was the Wing Commander movie which completely flopped. And the company got sued by Kevin Costner.

I don't buy that Chris was rich when he started SC. After, sure, but not before. Just looking at his home situation now vs. then speaks a lot.

Source? As far as I know the last thing Chris had going was the Wing Commander movie which completely flopped. And the company got sued by Kevin Costner.

I don't buy that Chris was rich when he started SC. After, sure, but not before. Just looking at his home situation now vs. then speaks a lot.
    He was Producer / Executive Producer on a number of films between 2004-2009 (The Punisher, Lord of War, Lucky Number Slevin, etc), looks like 9 films total. That doesn't mean he was rich before SC began, since that process didn't begin until 5 years after his last film involvement, and who's to say he didn't burn through whatever money he had built up from that era. Just wanted to point out that he was involved in more than just that abysmal Wing Commander movie.

well the wing commander series brought in 400 million so he would of had at least a small percentage of that, his film company had profits of over 100 million so a least a small percentage of that and microsoft bought out his company for freelancer/starlancer so it must of been worth something, while we dont know its highly likely he would of had a few million and whatever his film company.

“He made a decent amount of cash over a decade ago with the 10 mediocre movies he directed and the video game project that he was forced to sell to Microsoft, so his probably working on Star Citizen without any sort of remuneration cuz his rich.” Sounds truly fucking legit.
    what are you talking about, im not saying he is not taking a salary and his salary wouldnt even need to be from backer money as the company itself makes money from other sources, normally when starting a company as a CEO you would most likely have sufficient personal finances to cover all your living costs for a long time, since your not going to often start something that would make you lose what you have already made.

Starting a game company for any sort of game is no easy task and without proper backing even the most well run projects could fail.

...as the company itself makes money from other sources...
    Do you have any links to confirm these "other" sources?

Do you have any links to confirm these "other" sources?
    https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/...017-financials

since 2015 income from other sources and subscription is between 8-9 million a year while pledge income bounces around 34-36 million, been pretty much same income yearly from 2015 so up to 2019 can safely assume it remains similar.

I'm more interested in what the other sources are (excluding sunscriptions obviously) and why you think he would only be drawing a wage from that pool. That's not how business normally works, like at all.

I'm more interested in what the other sources are (excluding sunscriptions obviously) and why you think he would only be drawing a wage from that pool. That's not how business normally works, like at all.
    wouldnt really matter where his salary comes from anyway, the company makes 8-9 million a year without pledges, backer money is to pay for salary and things needed to make the game, chris does alot of work so any salary is earnt, if it was me making a game i would only do it if i was a billionaire so i could make the game the way i wanted it and probably release it out of nowhere so people dont whine about it for years.

The Complete Guide to Hand Mining in Star Citizen 3.7

3.7 testing has been going smoothly and besides all the hype around caves it's the addition of another way for players to make credits tanks to mining and the little QoL improvements that make it shine!

Jesus fucking Christ I have to wonder the depths of one's delusions when they're hyped for -hand mining- in game about space ship ship simulation.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ I have to wonder the depths of one's delusions when they're hyped for -hand mining- in game about space ship ship simulation.
    With hand mining, people who are curious about the mining experience can try it out faster and cheaper and find out they don't like it without having to drop two millions hard earned credits on a Prospector they'll use once and regret having bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    With hand mining, people who are curious about the mining experience can try it out faster and cheaper and find out they don't like it without having to drop two millions hard earned credits on a Prospector they'll use once and regret having bought.
    Will have to make hand-melters too. So you know if you'll enjoy processing materials cheaper.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Yeah, exactly. Thank you.
    and are you implying thats not the case