Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Seeing as you're incentivized to actually not race change or boost because of heritage armor, i'd say no.

Play mobile game. You will have an idea of what is a cash grab

15+ Year Old Account
    Racial ability that are OP for certain content.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    Thread title, discuss. Isn't releasing allied races over time just a huge cash grab for character race changes?
    No, because you have to level them form start to get the heritage armor.
    You worry too much about "cash grabs". Play the game if it's fun. Don't play if it's not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread title, discuss. Isn't releasing allied races over time just a huge cash grab for character race changes? After seeing mechagnomes, they're barely different than gnomes at all but plenty of people are going to spend their money changing their existing character to it, and I just see it as a huge cash grab - but hey what can you expect from current Blizzard?
    If Blizzard refused to allow race changes you'd have folks carpet bombing the forums with tears demanding to pay to race change. You see it as a cash grab because you want to see it that way (for reasons you've yet to reveal)

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    Allied Races - to me - just seem to be DESIGNED to promote race changes. They do not appear to me like new content where Blizzard sat down and set out with: (A) "Let's add a customization feature which players have asked for for many years!" but instead (B) "Let's pretend we add something players wanted for years...but how can we design it in a way that creates a maximum of additional shop income?"

And that is my problem with them. If Blizzard had set out with (A), you would be able to upgrade your existing Draenei to Lightforged via a quest.
    If this was the case, then why would ‘evil, greedy Blizzard’ literally encourage players to NOT race change/boost by rewarding heritage armour for levelling from 20-max the old fashioned way?? Holy shit some of you nerds are fucking dense

No, mainly because the heritage armor specifically has the clause that you can't get it by boosting a character, and can't use it on characters not of that race. You are not forced into them at all. If you like the Allied Race, you work to unlock it, doing usually relevant quests which you should enjoy anyway due to delving further into that race's story and themes.

They're just trying the basic MMO staple: make you do things to get things. You're only salty because it's for something that you previously got for no effort. See: Unlocking flying at the beginning of an expansion with Pathfinder.

They're not "designed to promote race changes" any more than releasing a new normal race would be. Objectively even less so due to the heritage armor thing. People have been wanting race variants since WoW launched, particularly the brown orcs, which I've seen actually managing to make some pushback in the Horde community against the Elfpocalypse.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-10-11 at 04:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

"Cash grab" is just a phrase used to attack Blizzard because people have an imaginary axe to grind with them over some other non-issue. The same thing was said abut the leveling nerfs in Patch 7.3.5... it wasd just a "Cash grab to sell leveling boosts!". Except Leveling Boosts were added four years prior.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it is a fun way to keep the game fresh with new lore and races.
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    it is. But every single decision blizzard has made the last couple of years is to earn money.
    Last couple of years? So, back in the day they were a charity that didn't give a fuck about money? Huh. Things you can learn on this forum.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread title, discuss. Isn't releasing allied races over time just a huge cash grab for character race changes? After seeing mechagnomes, they're barely different than gnomes at all but plenty of people are going to spend their money changing their existing character to it, and I just see it as a huge cash grab - but hey what can you expect from current Blizzard?
    Not really. Just another piece of content that you can choose to do.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If they wanted to encourage race changes they would not have stupid, barely changed alterations. As i stated before; If they had introduced sethrak i would... (or would have considering... most recent, political events) spend tons of money to racechange whatever i wanted to play. It was obviously an attempt to lure people to continue tho, because new races always do that.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean that's their entire reasoning with rapidly adding new races. They aren't adding these races for lore reasons, they're adding them because they know people will race change. Whether it's someone who only plays one character or someone who has every class at max level, race changing is enticing to everyone involved. Personally I don't spend any money outside of my subscription and xpacks, so I can't justify spending $20 for a race change.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    no making and releasing content and things to unlock in an mmo isn’t a cash grab in any way shape or form.

It could qualify as a cash grab if people were race changing for the racials alone, which doesnt happen. Take me for instance, im gonna race change all my chars (previously goblin) to vulpera, losing good racials for bad ones, but i dont give a damn ive been with goblins since 2011 i need a change and vulpera are perfect for me.

I mean, that's what it is, just a cash grab.

We all have our mains, it is not easy or quick to start a new character from scratch, and we love our mains. Only way to play the new race is by paying a race change. Or make a derp alt to play for 2 hours and never touch again.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    it is. But every single decision blizzard has made the last couple of years is to earn money.
    Try every decision blizzard has ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    I mean, that's what it is, just a cash grab.

We all have our mains, it is not easy or quick to start a new character from scratch, and we love our mains. Only way to play the new race is by paying a race change. Or make a derp alt to play for 2 hours and never touch again.
    Oh it's actually quite easy. Especially during time walking weeks.

Anyways don't they give you a direct incentive to level the character and not boost or change into it with the heritage armor? If it was just a quick cash grab they wouldn't lock this behind doing it the real way.

How are they a cash grab when you literally have to put in weeks of effort to unlock them? If they were on the store then sure, but they're not. I've found it rewarding as hell when I've managed to unlock one.

It's mostly cosmetic content, and you're not even forced to buy it. The actual value of the racials beyond QoL is going to be in line with all other racials, and if there IS a racial of performance significance, it'll very likely be such a small gain that anyone who feels forced into it is either overvaluing it immensely or playing at a level where additional investment is not only expected but the norm.

As far as "cash grabs" go, this is one of the best and fairest ways to do it.