Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Blizzard kind of soured me on the concept of player housing after garrisons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Blizzard kind of soured me on the concept of player housing after garrisons.
    That's completely the issue. The current WoW dev team is fundamentally incapable of delivering a fun, flexible system completely untethered from all the grind, bullshit, and unnecessary drama that comes from aribtrarily shoe-horning it into every single type of progression in the game, time-gating it to all hell and holding a gun to your head if you want to avoid it.

They can't just do player housing as some cool thing we couid just enjoy.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Oof, that burn OP.

Guess I don't have to comment on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Seeing how in the last 2 expansions blizzard is literally preying on collectors with the shitty drop rates and systems and just way of thinking and how the game suffers from it on almost every front except for raiding, I fear that if we got player housing, it would be a soulless cashgrab that would not even be too good, because frankly (and sadly), it's wow. And I don't mean to be an asshole here, look at the garrisons. And that was a school project compared to what full player housing should be. It would probably make blizzard even sloppier, because housing would probably attract just enough people to be a bombproof income regardless of everything else in the game.

So no, no thank you. We need quality reward system, quality end game reputations and outdoor content, working and fun classes, fun endgame progression, not doubled down and cheap big patches, expansions that don't feel like were cut in half. Even a world remake would be much more needed than houses (otherwise where would you put your shiny house? Into places where you can literally count pixels? which is everything up to cata zones but more like mop). If these are okay on a steady timeline, by all means let's fuck around in houses.

I for one would not keep up a subscription for housing alone, if the expansion sucks that's unsub time for me, and when I enjoy the game, I log in, and I wanna be productive and not sit around in my own house. If I want that, I launch the sims. Or.. I have a real house that I can decorate.
    "on almost every front, including raiding."

I've never cared less about loot than I do this expansion. And yet, it's so mind numbing and necessary to...

Something we need? No. Something we want? Yeah. Will we get it? Well, we still haven’t gotten the dance studio yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet, somewhere else I can AFK at and ignore the majority of the player base! I'd prefer guild housing honestly or the legion class hall brought back so I can be with more of my kind.

I don't think we need it, but I'm not against it for those who want it, I'm just not interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    there are many problems with player housing:

-the main hubs being empty, something blizzard doesnt want.
    -we already had player housing with garrisons and it didnt work.

guild housing is a better idea, but that still have some problems.
    That is an odd claim that in practice is incorrectly skewed by what happened in WoD.

People were in the Garrisons cause content was created for them and there was no content to do outside. I don't even need to convince you despite that being logical. In FFXIV housing wards are constantly empty and the main cities are always bustling with activity despite housing wards having even market boards (ak auction houses) and bells for your retainers (aka how you post auctions) and they even have vendors you can buy.

Yet, people are in the cities and the world. You know why? Cause there is reason to leave the house. The only content there is something like mission tables but much simpler. Basically you send a mission every 18 hours and crafting associated. This is guild wide btw.

So, no. These are opinions born of inexperience with housing systems. Housing is great. It allows convenience and customisation. What it doesn't do is create content for you to do in the outside world. That is something the devs need to do.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-10-18 at 02:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXI has player housing, towns are still populated.

Wildstar had player housing, towns were still populated (for as much as there was an actual population in that game).

LOTRO has player housing, towns are still populated.

I never understood why Blizzard, or for that matter, the nay-sayers, seem to think that if they made player housing that the towns would be completely empty. Once the newness of them wears off, people will be back on the streets. Housing won't have vendors or the AH, and probably neither mail nor banks, so what really is there to do in it? I think it would be a nice place to decorate and show off trophies and such, and allow your friends to stop by and see. But beyond that, I see no reason why I would want to hang out in it all the time, when everything I need is out in the actual town. That's such a piss-poor argument, and just lazy hand waving by Blizzard so they don't have to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

yep,this would be a great feature to do properly,kinda like it was in wildstar,people saying the world would be empty...well,cmon,it is empty anyways unless people are just lvling there,this is an issue that can be adressed by adding outdoor content for more levels,kinda like guild wars 2 does,anyways back to housing,this would be another cool collectable thing to do like achvments and transmog have been,have base stuff anyone can make,with rare decorations that you can get from raids and pvp,and they could even make a new profesion just for this that makes decorations

What's the obsession with player housing? It's just going to be a garrison 2.0

Player housing was amazing in Wildstar and was the best part of the game. But they also had a system in place where you could bounce from house to house, looking at people's stuff that they built. There were some amazing things that were made. Blizzard could easily use the same system Wildstar used. And despite people having their own housing plots, major cities were still brimming with people. So as long as there is no gameplay element added other than just building shit and decorating, people aren't going to AFK there. When you add shit like in garrisons, that's when people aFK in the instance and stop going to major cities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild housing is dead already, Blizzard killed the meaning of being in a guild a long time ago.

Player housing sounds good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    That's completely the issue. The current WoW dev team is fundamentally incapable of delivering a fun, flexible system completely untethered from all the grind, bullshit, and unnecessary drama that comes from aribtrarily shoe-horning it into every single type of progression in the game, time-gating it to all hell and holding a gun to your head if you want to avoid it.

They can't just do player housing as some cool thing we could just enjoy.
    Agreed, player housing is supposed to be just a place to customize for your character to hang out in, log out in instead of the usual hearthstoned inn, but they turn it into this convoluted shit no one asked for.

"You THINK you wanted player housing... but we're giving you YOUR OWN garrison, Captain!"

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    FFXI has player housing, towns are still populated.

Wildstar had player housing, towns were still populated (for as much as there was an actual population in that game).

LOTRO has player housing, towns are still populated.

I never understood why Blizzard, or for that matter, the nay-sayers, seem to think that if they made player housing that the towns would be completely empty. Once the newness of them wears off, people will be back on the streets. Housing won't have vendors or the AH, and probably neither mail nor banks, so what really is there to do in it? I think it would be a nice place to decorate and show off trophies and such, and allow your friends to stop by and see. But beyond that, I see no reason why I would want to hang out in it all the time, when everything I need is out in the actual town. That's such a piss-poor argument, and just lazy hand waving by Blizzard so they don't have to do it.
    From a Blizzard perspective it might not be down to willing, but how old some of the systems are in the game to actually have it happen. Yes we had an attempt at something with Garrisons but in the end it was pretty much "Set up generic human/Orc town on Draenor.". Under the hud of the game is it even feasable to go from no housing to housing? They may have decided back in Cata/MOP to bring in housing but the time to actually code it in without breaking only allowed for Garrisons in WoD and since then been working on a means to bring in more diversity and means to allow the player to edit. I mean expanding the main bag for years was a no go because it broke the entire game. Small things on screen could be huge things under the hood.

On player side, it seems there's also an issue with many of the player base. Where they basically don't want to do anything that isn't a power increase but anything that brings in even the slightest power increase has them feeling forced. So if added it could end up being niche for many if no power increase and people complaining it being useless. But if there is even a 0.0000001% power increase people will flood the forums calling it forced.

7+ Year Old Account
    Never thought player housing would be worth while or interesting till I played EQ2. That game is well over a decade old at this point but I still think they did player housing right. I would love to see something similar implemented in WoW. I'm not holding my breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    No just no. Waste of time for players and developers.

Quote Originally Posted by kyo wolfsfang View Post
    *snip* because player housing
    I raise my considerably large glass of vodka to you. Let's get drunk and talk about how WoW player housing should be (but won't ever happen).

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    No just no. Waste of time for players and developers.
    People like you are so short sighted. Something YOU don't want is a waste of time? The fact that it could potentially bring back scores of players and KEEP people playing for years goes completely over your head.

Even failed MMOs, like Wildstar and SWG and SWTOR kept players in the game longer with Housing... it was like the last thing anyone did.

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    there are many problems with player housing:

-the main hubs being empty, something blizzard doesnt want.
    -we already had player housing with garrisons and it didnt work.

guild housing is a better idea, but that still have some problems.
    They won't be empty unless Blizzard is moronic and puts banks, ah, transmog, all that stuff into the player housing like they did the garrison. Player housing should only be a place to go and relax and have your own little area. No AH, no bank, no trade chat, nothing in it but decorations that you like to have in it.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't need player housing if it's something for one expansion and a half-finished half-ass design.

I would love to have player housing but if we have it I want it done right: tied to professions, lots of customization depending on who you are and all the rest. If it's not done well, it's better to not have it at all.

It also needs to be something for everyone, not some elitist guild thing that's unavailable to anyone else. Guild halls are fine. Guild halls without housing is a non-starter.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."