Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Im from New York mostly so I love cultural appropriation generally. I have argued with many people from less diverse areas about how cultural appropriation is a good thing.

Eh cultural appropriation is stupid. God forbid someone else try to imitate something they like. Get over yourselves.

We wouldn't have modern civilization without cultural appropriation.

Otherwise, everything invented by the Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Indians, etc that we all take for granted today wouldn't be part of other cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    kinda reminds me a bit of Alyson Hannigan, in her younger, Willow buffy days.
    Thinking the same...and now I want to binge those first few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    So, a random person made a stupid comment on twitter. This matters how?
    Not even twitter, Tumblr at that. People get outraged at the silliest of things

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    It's because we have a history of it. It causes some to be defensive, because they don't want to feel 'robbed' anymore.

I think that most of the time it's an overreaction due to paranoia. Is this person prejudiced against me? Am I being prejudiced against them?

I give it some leeway depending on context, because I've seen people do some pretty dumb and disrespectful things. Also that x-Americans tend to face more consistent discrimination and at a different level than those in their homeland. I'm not surprised some take the constant offensive, but it's too tiresome to distrust everything all the time.
    That explanation sounds reasonable... but the constant outrage will keep discrediting itself when it is often so easy to dig up folks from the Old Country who are perfectly fine with whatever dress code violation has occured. There is a point underneath it all, but theatrics are laid on too thick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    There's growing evidence that most of these Sjw's on twitter and such are actualy Russian bots intended to Stoke division.

One of the biggest black lives matter pages on Facebook was found out to be run by Russia.

It's part of Russia's stratagy of dividing Western nations and embedding deep partisanship in our politics.
    That I can agree with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Yea I think there a low count burner looking to create outrage, what I can't understand is why they target mmo champ /pol, I know we sometimes like to entertain the idea we're putting the world to rights but ultimately compared to big social media we're a very small community, unless they test shit here to see how it floats, though I think most of the time it's more some one saw some Russian troll bait and came running back here with it to spread the outrage.
    I've seen us come up on first page on screenshots of some Google searches.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Cultural appropriation is a just a term coined to attack white folks. Its a form of discrimination and racism that is actively promoted here in the US. Is good to highlight folks racism like this.
    It's not our fault White gentiles don't have a culture that doesn't include child rapes and lynchings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Eh cultural appropriation is stupid. God forbid someone else try to imitate something they like. Get over yourselves.
    Learning about other cultures is great. It just becomes a problem when you wear that culture as a costume and ignore the people who are from that culture. Like those WASPs who have "Christian Seders" while being nervous about that house down the street with a Mezuzah on the door.

[Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-10-19 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Forbidden Topics
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Learning about other cultures is great. It just becomes a problem when you wear that culture as a costume and ignore the people who are from that culture. Like those WASPs who have "Christian Seders" while being nervous about that house down the street with a Mezuzah on the door.
    Even then it doesn't matter tbh. If you like dreadlocks, wear em. Who cares where they came from.

There is such a thing as cultural appropriation, but this doesn't fall into either example of it. First example is stuff that has a somber, solemn, or serious importance, that some other culture makes light of. US pop culture does this all the time with foreign cultures, and its obnoxious, but I also remember some K-Pop group doing some really ill-advised Nazi/Holocaust-chic music video with some really bad references. The other example is straight up ripping people off. A case in point would be street food vendors in Singapore. They each have their own deeply personal recipe-dishes, and while they don't have a registered trademark for it, it'd be a real dick move to rip them off and start selling their recipe at like a new PF Chang-esque place.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    It's not our fault White gentiles don't have a culture that doesn't include child rapes and lynchings.
    Its astounding that you think only white folks have that sort of history, and well racist. I suppose you don't know much about humanity, its origins, its history.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

5+ Year Old Account
    Lets be mindful not to make generalizations about racial groups and not to delve too deep into that type of discussion.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    We wouldn't have modern civilization without cultural appropriation.

Otherwise, everything invented by the Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Indians, etc that we all take for granted today wouldn't be part of other cultures.
    And all us Brits would be left with is Pie and Mash shops for miles and miles :P

Anybody not taking part of cultural appropriation is not fit to survive anyway. It would be like whining because your language is littered with other languages expressions and words, good luck with that?

7+ Year Old Account
    "Cultural appropriation" is an inherently fallacious and idiotic concept. No "culture" is "owned" by any group or entity. Anyone that gets offended over shit like this is a fucking imbecile.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    The passport and the drivers license don't mean jack, but you know they're japanese when the closest tool you have on-hand to shield your information is a purple Gameboy Advance SP with a mew sticker on it.
    I was going to type - fuck the passport the gameboy with the mew on it is proof enough for me!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not even as close to being as bad as blackface.

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    The Hyphenated American is among the worst things we bring to the world.
    Clearly people appropriating American outrage culture are the worst.

People yelling about cultural appropriation are usually the racists they claim to attack. The loud ones are just trying to hide their own prejudices by attacking others just like many other race related topics in the current outrage culture.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-10-20 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    "Cultural appropriation" is an inherently fallacious and idiotic concept.
    You're okay with Blackface?
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    You're okay with Blackface?
    If done purely for entertainment, why not?