Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    So sort of a bit like the SNP over in Scotland?

Who are they more likely to side with if there was a hung parliament?
    Well, it's not really the case, fortunately. If it had been the case, I really doubt the Bloc would have helped any federal party to form a government. And I doubt any party would have sought the Bloc's support. In a minority government, if the Liberal government politics are judged beneficial for Québec, the Bloc will support the government. If they don't, they will vote against them. So, forget any pipeline crossing Québec during this mandate.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I wonder if all these "The US needs a third party" people are paying attention?

Sorry, but i'm not convinced that multi-party parliamentary systems are that much better the the kludge of the US system. They're just as likely to elect either a neo-liberal or a conservative governments.

Canada's last election produced a neo-liberal victory.
    The UK's parliamentary elections keeps producing a clown car of Tory governments.
    France's last parliamentary election was between a neo-liberal or a neo-fascist.
    le sigh
    You are 100% spot on a third part will not solve the problems of people being uneducated.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Alberta twitter's screaming bloody murder and wants to split from Canada....

Yea they've gone full Canadian West Virginia with that unwillingness to diversify off fossil fuels

They don't even get a minister in the government since there isn't a liberal riding
    Last edited by Seiklis; 2019-10-22 at 05:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still not used to a to bearded Peter Mansbridge.

Government Affiliated Snark

So Trudeau looks like doing a Trump - loosing the primary by a decent margin but still winning the seat count.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    It's not just 3rd party. It's more parties with some sort of instant ranked system. So long as FPTP is the law, 3rd parties are nothing more than spoilers even in Canada's system.

Maine Federal Elections have it right
    Actually, with a minority government (which is what the Liberals will be forming after the election) the 3rd (and 4th) parties often hold the balance of power. In order to actually pass any laws the Liberals are going to have to appeal to the NDP and/or BQ for votes.

In this particular case it's not likely that either the NDP or the BQ is going to go too hard against the Liberals though. They probably won't want to be pushing for a new election any time soon. Also, the Liberals lean closer politically with those two parties than the Conservatives do. A Conservative minority government would be in a much worse position than a Liberal Minority.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-10-22 at 06:43 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Actually, with a minority government (which is what the Liberals will be forming after the election) the 3rd (and 4th) parties often hold the balance of power. In order to actually pass any laws the Liberals are going to have to appeal to the NDP and/or BQ for votes.

In this particular case it's not likely that either the NDP or the BQ is going to go too hard against the Liberals though. They probably won't want to be pushing for a new election any time soon. Also, the Liberals lean closer politically with those two parties than the Conservatives do. A Conservative minority government would be in a much worse position than a Liberal Minority.
    I think people who've commented on it are largely missing the point. The extra parties having power because of the minority government isnt about making everyone happy because things are 'fair' and theres less of a divide between parties - it's about making everyone UNHAPPY because even the party that has power has to convince people who dont drink the same coolaid that they do that they have a good idea to move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaransan View Post
    I think people who've commented on it are largely missing the point. The extra parties having power because of the minority government isnt about making everyone happy because things are 'fair' and theres less of a divide between parties - it's about making everyone UNHAPPY because even the party that has power has to convince people who dont drink the same coolaid that they do that they have a good idea to move forward.
    That's basically it...though that's putting a more negative spin on it than I would. What it really means is that the Party in Power can't just bullrush whatever it wants into law. They have to be careful because if they overstep...that could mean the end of their government. Personally, I prefer Minority Governments to Majority Governments...simply because it does force at least some level of multi-partisanship. The downside being that the government itself is a little less stable and we will probably end up heading back to the polls sooner than usual.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Can't believe they voted same guy in who has scandals and did race face 3x

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    FPTP sucks and it's debatable if it's even better than the US system.

In an ideal world you always have a minority government because it actually represents the will of the people far more, especially in systems that have a host of candidates to choose from. The U.S system sucks because you have to pick one side or another, and essentially cast your lot with the retards that occupy the fringes of either party. These people demand total loyalty and siding with them on 60% of the issues and seeing the other side like 40% for example isn't good enough. It's essentially all or nothing.

What you would want is parties working together to get shit done, but in reality it usually ends up being a mess. The party with the minority wants to hold onto power as long as they possibly can and are too pussy to put anything substantial out, for fear of a non-confidence issue being shot down, forcing yet another election. If you think apathy is bad with voters in recent years, the only thing worse is having another election soon after the first one. So what ends up happening is nothing really gets done.

In the event of a majority in Canada, or a situation where one party holds all of the power in the U.S, most of the power moves are done early while the government sort of sits idle for the last couple years. So you see a bunch of shit pushed out in Canada by a majority in the first couple years, then they sit idle in the last couple as they start to enter campaign mode again. In the U.S its even worse, as a party with all the power tries to push stuff out in the infancy of a presidency for fear of midterm elections two years later potentially removing their ability to do anything at all. Then you have the drawn out campaign season in the U.S meaning that your president is spending the last year of his mandate fucking campaigning.

Run off elections or some sort of proportional representation would be far better than either system. "Progressive" parties in Canada had nearly ~55% of the popular vote in Canada, but the Conservative party of Canada as a single party had slightly more of the popular vote than any other individual party, yet they had like 50 less seats than the Liberal party. Not saying it's wrong because these are the rules put in place (same thing has happened in the U.S elections), but it does illustrate what happens in a multi-party system with vote splitting and how some parties despite getting a pretty hefty portion of the popular vote get a portion of the power.

Maxime Bernier, ''la chienne en chef des Américains'' got 1.7% of the vote. 1.7 too much

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It was him or Andew ''I have the charisma of a garage door'' Scheer or Maxime ''je suis la chienne soumise de Trump'' Bernier

10+ Year Old Account
    The black face is just another US issue that has been imported in Canada. Minstrel shows never were a big thing up here, so all this black face shenanigan quickly turned into a non issue, especially in Québec where people are still wondering why it is such a problem (even black celebrities didn't see anything wrong). Sure, there has been some uproars inflated by the press, but polls quickly showed that it had no or minute effect on the votes. Proof is that the very cosmopolitan Toronto and Montréal massively supported the Liberals.

Those scandals are part of the reason why Trudeau is only forming a Minority Government as opposed to the Majority he had previously. It's basically the countries way of saying "You're better than the alternatives...but you need to do better"

The black face was a non issue except for those that already disliked Trudeau. My father who from India didn't even see it as an issue if it happened last week.

My issue with Trudeau has been how his finance minister has changed the system. They closed a lot of holes in the tax system but left these glaring ones only accessible to the rich. I can't get a client an additional 10k from their company without tax but I can get 1m or more tax free easily. Their mortgage reforms have made it so you are handcuffed to your bank. The stress test exists just so you cannot shop around for your mortgage when your term is up. The Canada Revenue Agency has now been segmented so agents only have access to one portion of your account. I can see more of whats going on through the CRA website than an agent. The CRA has always been awful (everyone there is an idiot) but this has been far worse than before.

The only good thing has been the legalization of marijuana.

The conservatives are better but still trash. Under their regime, they mandated to the CRA that there be increased revues but no increase in tax. So the CRA started targeting low income earners and the elderly. Really high amounts of interest and penalties. I know one guy who has dementia and forgot to put his pension that comes from the government on his taxes. He makes like 16k a year and was given a 4k penalty.

I can't vote for the NDP out of principle because of their affirmative action requirements to run. Not to mention Jagmeet Singh's links to terrorist organizations in India.

In short all the options were terrible and I wish we had a non of the above option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Those scandals are part of the reason why Trudeau is only forming a Minority Government as opposed to the Majority he had previously. It's basically the countries way of saying "You're better than the alternatives...but you need to do better"
    Trudeau has lost his majority in Québec. Quebeckers have turned to the Bloc Québécois because of Trudeau's stance on Bill 21 on state secularism. That's the main reason. Kinder Morgan is another (Quebeckers absolutely do not want a pipeline in Québec), and the fact that Blanchet did a very good job.

The Lavalin scandal had almost no effect and the black face even less. And as I said, the most cosmopolitan cities in Canada have voted Liberals...

We also have to look at Ontario. The Conservative Premier, the Trump-like Doug Ford, has become very unpopular there. He was a weight on the Conservative campaign. So much that he didn't utter a word during all the electoral campaign. He unwittingly helped the Liberals consolidate their support in Ontario, and since it has 121 seats on 338 in the House of Commons, it gave the government to Trudeau.

As they say, Ontario chooses the colour of the government and Quebec (78 seats/338) decides if it's in majority or not. Well, most of the time.

I voted for Prime Minister Blackface.
    I didn't have a particular reason to vote against my current MP.
    I would consider voting NDP if they merged with the Greens.
    It would take a genuinely exceptional centre-right candidate for me to vote Conservative. Scheer is another dull functionary who just mouths the opinions of rich assholes and oil companies. One of these days the Alberta economy will tank and they'll realize that decades of electing short-term thinking conservative politicians was a bad idea.
    It would be wrong for me to wish for Maxime Bernier's death. I'll settle for him running large financial crimes and getting busted for it. Prison would be nice.
    I can't vote for the BQ but even if I could, I'm not racist enough to vote from them.

At least Blackface passed legal weed and a carbon tax. Better than a kick in the balls.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    My riding was one of the last to be finalized. The Liberal candidate won by 305 votes against the Conservative incumbent. Good riddance though, the last thing we need is more anti-abortion and anti-choice people in parliament.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Trudeau has lost his majority in Québec. Quebeckers have turned to the Bloc Québécois because of Trudeau's stance on Bill 21 on state secularism. That's the main reason. Kinder Morgan is another (Quebeckers absolutely do not want a pipeline in Québec), and the fact that Blanchet did a very good job.

The Lavalin scandal had almost no effect and the black face even less. And as I said, the most cosmopolitan cities in Canada have voted Liberals...

We also have to look at Ontario. The Conservative Premier, the Trump-like Doug Ford, has become very unpopular there. He was a weight on the Conservative campaign. So much that he didn't utter a word during all the electoral campaign. He unwittingly helped the Liberals consolidate their support in Ontario, and since it has 121 seats on 338 in the House of Commons, it gave the government to Trudeau.

As they say, Ontario chooses the colour of the government and Quebec (78 seats/338) decides if it's in majority or not. Well, most of the time.
    Doug Ford has never been popular. He only got elected because the NDP were too stupid to kick out Horwath when they knew they could have steam rolled their way to a majority government since Wynne was too full of herself to step down well before the election. Now we have an obese former crack dealer running our province because the opposition couldn't be arsed to put forth leaders that people could elect.

Imagine electing someone who repeatedly black-faced. Now imagine if it was a politian you didn't politically allign with.

We truly live in a society. The best one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Imagine electing someone who repeatedly black-faced. Now imagine if it was a politian you didn't politically allign with.

I really don't politically allign with Trudeau.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post

He was a better option than Sheer.

As the Beaverton said, we basically voted “ugh, fine, Trudeau again, I guess”.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters