Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Grilled Cheese and Similar Food

Swine flu has pushed the price of pork to the point that I have gotten to indulge myself. My youngest quasi-adoptive daughter (gan nv'er) can get me 500 grams of Dutch cheese at or below the price of even ground pork. It has gotten easier to get cheese here, but I've tended to treat it as a luxury.

I started out wanting to ask about grilled cheese sandwiches, but didn't see any reason not to throw it open to other stuff -- there might even be a Schlock Mercenary fan who likes qupaquesos.

1) So, how do you like your grilled cheese?

2) Do you have a favorite cheese for grilling?

3) What kind of condiments do you like with it?

For me:

1) Any way I can get it.
    2) I tend to go overboard on cheese, to the point I may forget to have meat with the meal. So, usually whatever is a good value.
    3) Whatever suits the dish, but I do like a dash of Coleman's mustard made extra strong on grilled cheese sandwiches.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really try to avoid that one, it's tasty but super unhealthy.

I do the basic cheddar (though I don't shy from using other cheese if available) with a nice tomato soup to dip it in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazingly simple and cost effective recipe. Utterly disgusting and unhealthy meal.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I make a damn good grilled cheese but I don't eat break anymore, haven't in the last 3 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I do the basic cheddar (though I don't shy from using other cheese if available) with a nice tomato soup to dip it in.
    /thread. We're done here folks. Nothing more to be said.

= )
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheddar is the safe bet. Any other discussion of what cheese belongs on a sandwich or in a grilled cheese depends heavily on what you're into cheese-wise. I don't mind some of the funkier ones, but the rest my family despises funky cheese

5+ Year Old Account
    1) So, how do you like your grilled cheese?
    Usually with tomatoes, sometimes chopped spinach, and pesto. I may add a slice of ham or bacon. Or even an egg if I have no meat on hand.
    The bread is toasted with butter and I may lightly broil it for a bit of char. As you can guess, my grilled cheeses are all variations/bastard children of a croque monsieur/madame.
    2) Do you have a favorite cheese for grilling?
    Not any one in particular. I prefer a blend, but swiss/french cheeses such as gruyere are my favorite. Gouda is a good one too.
    3) What kind of condiments do you like with it?
    I guess dijon or any spicy seeded mustard.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Additional question.

At what point in adding ingredients does it stop being a grilled cheese, and a different type of sandwich?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Additional question.

At what point in adding ingredients does it stop being a grilled cheese, and a different type of sandwich?
    A classic question. I think once you add anything but cheese you're just making a melt

Take 1 slice of Toast Bread, put on Cheese, Pineapple, Ham. Melt it in the Oven, Frying pan, Microwave and you get Toast Hawaii.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    A classic question. I think once you add anything but cheese you're just making a melt
    I'm inclined to agree. But tomato seems to be a very popular addition to grilled cheese. So i'm curious where the line is drawn for the masses here.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. But tomato seems to be a very popular addition to grilled cheese. So i'm curious where the line is drawn for the masses here.
    It's tricky, because most grilled cheeses aren't even grilled. The legitimacy was doomed from the start.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    It's tricky, because most grilled cheeses aren't even grilled. The legitimacy was doomed from the start.
    lol, that is a great point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug
    I think once you add anything but cheese you're just making a melt
    I'd have to disagree, I'd set the line at meat. Add some grilled onions and it is still a grilled cheese sandwich, but add a slice of ham and it is a grilled ham and cheese.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty basic. I just use Texas Toast, Pepperjack cheese, bacon and hot sauce on my grilled cheese. No veggies or anything remotely healthy for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Toasted grilled cheese with sourdough and pepper jack.

Or pan fried with sourdough, butter, and American. Mmm, pasteurized process cheese food.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Grilled cheese snobs? On the internet? My word!!
    I like mine about medium-well.

A you need:

The Kraft singles even have a picture of grilled cheese on the wrapper. Can't get easier than that.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Monte cristos made with a croissant are great with hot sauce.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I honestly don't make grilled cheese in the US way. We do grill cheese in Greece but it's usually kefalograviera, a PDO salty, hard cheese from sheep's milk that gets somewhat softer when heated on a grill. We also wrap feta in fyllo (puff pastry dough) and deep fry it (usually served with sesame seeds and honey.

What I do when I want a very cheesy lunch is either a cheese souffle or tortellini in souffle. In both cases I prefer a mix of cheeses,usually including a smoked graviera (again a hard Greek cheese, tastes somewhat like Gruyere)
    That sounds so good. Do you use fyllo or puff pastry dough?