Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    What an odd republican.

Cancelling people that agree on you with 60% of the issues is dumb. But like I've watched fox news and no nuance or consideration is spared in that channel so I don't want to hear this shit from republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    What a load of Canadian horse shit. Vic magnolia, chris Hardwick, Jeremy Renner, james gunn ALL victims of people like you trying to fuck someone . cancel culture is real and I KNOW you're a part of the problem. But a fucking liberal like you will never take responsibility for any of their actions huh?
    Um, are we seriously trying to claim that Vic Mogogna and Jeremy Renner aren't like...actual terrible people?

Fullmetal disgusting is what that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't being "woke" or "cancel culture" just another mask for political correctness? Or, to be fair, political correctness taken to satirical extremes.

My issue isn't strictly tied to the end result of this process, but rather with what I suspect is the goal of the accuser: it is a shallow, vapid and dishonest manner of trying to score social points by pretending to be stand up for someone or something, particularly in online circles.

And I dismiss the whole "it isn't real" nonsense, when it is palpable that people think twice about what they say or how to approach certain subjects because they think they'll suffer some sort of social backlash, and this goes from a celebrity to your average Joe having a chat with his friends about a subject that has even a remote sensitive connotation of ability to incur offense.

I am all for punishing people for having abhorrent beliefs, that can come from bigoted respects like i have experienced in the US and it should be up to those who are under the heel of those jokes on what punishment should be taken. I have personally seen to it that people have lost jobs in their field all over Cheyenne / Laramie forcing them to either change their chosen profession to moving away. I have no respect for people who look at any faith as something below them and i have even drawn the ire from people inside my own faith but to hell with that.

I am a man of peace who does not believe in physical violence i look at other things like job and public shaming sort instead, some say that is worse and can have lasting effects but those that say that have never known the bigotry that can face those whom are deemed as the different. This is just a more peaceful way of handling it and i have only helped 3 people become " Blacklisted " because honestly the majority of people are not shitheels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Isn't being "woke" or "cancel culture" just another mask for political correctness? Or, to be fair, political correctness taken to satirical extremes.
    Wokeness and Political Correctness are similar but not the same, and a lot of people get that confused even on the left.

First off, let's take a step back and understand that a lot of the terms being discussed here are academic; as in they were originated by academics for use in academic analysis but have then been appropriated for use in more general discourse. Terms like male gaze, intersectionality, cultural appropriation, and even 'political correctness' itself don't carry inherent negative or positive connotations in an academic sense but have gained one or the other by virtue of people weaponizing those terms as buzzwords.

Political correctness as we understand it emerged first and foremost as an academic phenomenon in the turn of the last century when you had a lot of introspection regarding previous literature in which a lot of the terms used were pretty racially charged or what have you. The response to this was coming up with new terms for use in discussion that were deemed as not carrying the baggage and theoretically permitting a more inclusive discussion. If terms like "African-American" or "Pacific Islander" sound incredibly artificial it's because those terms have largely been created by (mainly white) academics and are reflective of a sort of deliberately clinical approach.

Wokeness is a more recent phenomenon that's cropped up in the last decade or so mainly as a result of the increased voice social media affords a lot of marginalized demographics as well as more of said demographics having greater presence in the academic sphere - so the terms tend to be more organic to those communities (see: 'black' and 'queer' being reclaimed) and the things being criticised vary because, again, the lens of analysis is closer to the ground.

A lot of the things 'woke' people are saying are things people have being saying for a while. The difference is that it's become fashionable for 'normal folk' to say those things too.

- - - Updated - - -

Prove it. I see no police reports. Just #metoo bullshit claims. If you believe any #metoo claims after the shit chris Hardwick ex did. Then you're a bigger fucking fool than I took you for.
    Personally I'd rather be a fool than risk carrying water for a rapist.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    TRANSLATION: I can't retort like a normal person so time for an ad hominem since I can't debate like an adult.

It's a pattern I notice with fuckers like you and endus. Can't prove or retort so you just label. Am I a nazi for bring up facts? An incel? A chud? Fuck right off
    Actually no, I was going to make a joke about Monica Rial being behind the Kennedy Assassination the way people carry on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well your dumbass is saying "carrying water for a rapist" show me when he was convicted. I'll wait. Oh shit, that's right. He never was. The whole thing was a #metoo to get him....wait for it. Cancelled and you fucking bought right into it like a good woke lib who can't think for themselves. you are The person obama is talking about.

Always cast doubt on #metoo claims
    So we should never believe anyone when they come forward about abusive behaviour?

10+ Year Old Account
    What a load of Canadian horse shit. Vic magnolia, chris Hardwick, Jeremy Renner, james gunn ALL victims of people like you trying to fuck someone . cancel culture is real and I KNOW you're a part of the problem. But a fucking liberal like you will never take responsibility for any of their actions huh?
    I have never in my life used social media to call anyone out for anything in their real life. I have literally never engaged in this stuff, myself. I don't know anyone who has.

That's a big part of why I think the kafuffle is all nonsense.

Also, so far as I know, neither Cody Johnston nor Katy Stoll are Canadian.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-11-01 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    The number of people in this thread who lack self introspection or the balls to say they could be wrong about something, who have constantly taunted others and have said they ultimately just care about hurting the feelings of others, now agreeing with this article...

There are many people here who claim to be impartial, independent, or "woke" and yet have very obvious political bias, engage in ridiculous games of argument falacies, whataboutism, and other trolly posting. They'll flatly deny that information we acquire through the press is invalid simply because it's the "main stream media" without ever checking the validity of the information for themselves. Even worse, they'll declare it fake news before it's even been confirmed or denied.

The people on here who claim to be the most independent thinkers, woke, and smartest, as well as the least toxic, turn out to be the exact opposite of that in practice. And then they come on here preach that others should stop pretending to be "woke".

My irony meter just broke.

People should take a lesson from what they preach.
    we have this great post and then

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I never disagreed with Obama 100% there are lots of things he did I liked. My problem with Obama was how partisan he was, same problem I have with Trump.
    its comical. I would love (for the sake of the comedy) for you to elaborate on what "partisan" things Obama did, you know other then trying to give people healthcare and fix the economy that republicans destroyed.

Prove it. I see no police reports. Just #metoo bullshit claims. If you believe any #metoo claims after the shit chris Hardwick ex did. Then you're a bigger fucking fool than I took you for.
    Vic was accused of that behaviour long before Me Too flared up; and got seemingly banned from conventions since 2010. Also there are quite frequent reports of him, sing weird stuff like kissing young/ underaged Girls in the head, sometimes inviting them to his rooms...

No conviction yeah, but he has some reputation.

I couldn't have said it better myself, thanks to toxic social media cancel culture is the worst it has even been.
    Spoken like someone who was born yesterday and knows nothing about the history of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Spoken like someone who was born yesterday and knows nothing about the history of this country.
    so tell me a time when it was worse?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The south tried to cancel out of the union to keep their slaves?
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    The south tried to cancel out of the union to keep their slaves?
    I don't think you know what cancel culture is if you're using this as an example.

This isn't a new thing and happens on the right just as much as the left. I would agree that sometimes people get carried away over things that don't deserve the outrage. But, I would also say that some people use this as an excuse to be even more offensive and then claim you're being too pc if you say anything.

Much of the support for the second Iraq war was pushed with the narrative that any dissenting opinion must be dismissed as "Unamerican". The sentiment was HEAVILY pushed by the administration at the time and happily slurped up by a large portion of the population (not the first time Republicans had used this tactic, but this would probably be the most glaring instance in recent time of the boogieman that you label as "cancel culture").

I'd consider cancelling out dissenting opinion in favor of a pointless and costly war to be FAR worse than whatever social media grumblings have got you so worried today. Especially when most of those "unamerican" opinions at the time turned out to be absolutely correct. The whole "say the wrong thing and become persona non grata" is not at all a new phenomenon. This "no compromise" strategy has been a pillar of conservative ideology for decades and has contributed much to the increase in partisan politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Much of the support for the second Iraq war was pushed with the narrative that any dissenting opinion must be dismissed as "Unamerican".
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
    Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg Trials

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine getting cancelled before you could even start work. I'm sure I could dredge up other shitty labour practices from the depths of American history.

It occurs to me that the snowflakes are having hard time with "Cancel Culture" typically champion the worst modern labour practices like "At-Will Employment". How many states can fire a person for being LGBQT right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
    Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg Trials

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Wh2dy97WL._SX425_.jpg[/]

Imagine getting cancelled before you could even start work. I'm sure I could dredge up other shitty labour practices from the depths of American history.

It occurs to me that the snowflakes are having hard time with "Cancel Culture" typically champion the worst modern labour practices like "At-Will Employment". How many states can fire a person for being LGBQT right now?
    Ah so you don't know what cancel culture is, good to know.

Ah so you don't know what cancel culture is, good to know.
    Its what knuckledraggers whine about because they're upset the can't be openly bigoted anymore.