Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Speaking of which, it's time for Guess the Speaker!

"Wow, that's...not even close."

Trump tweet, yes.

There is no foundation for 303,000 jobs. Trump is lying.

Blowout jobs numbers?? even if you adjust back in the striking workers the damn numbers were sub average necessary to maintain unemployment at current levels.
    the way fox and conservative media is reporting this, is insane....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Blowout jobs numbers?? even if you adjust back in the striking workers the damn numbers were sub average necessary to maintain unemployment at current levels.
    That, and it still doesn't add up to the number Trump listed.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lies you can tell when you've trained your voting base to only trust you and the network that was planned from the ground up as "GOPTV"
    Last edited by D Luniz; 2019-11-01 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Phone lag double posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Meanwhile....https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...-motors-strike

U.S. hiring was unexpectedly solid in October, as the economy added 128,000 jobs, brushing off the weight of the 40-day General Motors strike.

The payroll number far exceeded the estimate of 89,000 from economists surveyed by Refinitiv (the lowest forecast in more than two years), even with a decline of 42,000 jobs in motor vehicles and parts manufacturing because of the workers' strike and 20,000 temporary census workers leaving their jobs.

The unemployment rate edged slightly higher to 3.6 percent as more people were looking for work, but continued to hover near a 50-year low. The labor force participation rate was little changed at 63.3 percent. Average hourly earnings, meanwhile, rose by 3 percent over the past year to $28.18.
    My friend said it best "If you can't find a job in this market, you're unemployable"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    My friend said it best "If you can't find a job in this market, you're unemployable"
    Your friend is probably the same type of person that says "well you can work at McDonald's"

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    the way fox and conservative media is reporting this, is insane....
    Damn you Fox news! oh wait - US jobs growth beats forecasts despite GM strike impact

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Your friend is probably the same type of person that says "well you can work at McDonald's"
    Actually McDonalds in my area is having trouble finding people despite a sign on bonus and $12hr because there are better jobs in the area. 12hr is livable here, you can get an apartment for as low as 300 that isn't subsidized, most go for 500 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That, and it still doesn't add up to the number Trump listed.
    its weird the BIGLY adjustments that are happening at the DOL.
    These are unprecedented up and down adjustments.

last big adjustment was over 500k for the full year 2018 downwards.
    Now they come out with huge upward adjustments for the last couple months.

They are usually much more accurate than this.

Of course our resident Trump cheerleader ignored the other news that came out today while getting excited at a 50% miss in the needed number of employment gains to match population growth...

1. Cutting the interest rate.
    in a bigly economy? umm with such "great employment report"??? HUH???

2. Employment growth was all in the so called "Obama economy" sectors. You know, every time they attacked Obama job numbers (200-220-240k) they said it was all minimum wage/part time jobs.
    ***In the October employment report, a big addition in jobs came from food services and drinking places. The sector added 48,000 jobs in the month, and the industry averaged 38,000 jobs over the past three months, up from 16,000 in the first seven months of the year
    Not to mention 30k in low paying health aide jobs.
    The leisure and hospitality industry was by far the strongest during the month of October, adding over 60,000 jobs for the month

3. GDP 1.9%. ONE...POINT...NINE.... Good luck getting anywhere near 3% this year. Trump still on course to be the 2nd president to never hit 3%.

Trump in 2012 referencing a quarterly GDP growth of 1.9% - “The economy is deeply in trouble”

Trump in 2019 referencing a quarterly GDP growth of 1.9% - “greatest economy ever”

4. Debt hit records, Deficit hit a trillion dollars for the fiscal year. Proving for the 100th time trickle dickle economic tax cuts for the rich do not work.

5. The Institute for Supply Management said its manufacturing index edged up to 48.3% in October from a 10-year low of 47.8%, but it remained in contractionary territory for the third month in a row. The last time that happened was in 2015 during a downturn in the oil patch.

6. Construction employment rose by 10,000 jobs in October. Hiring in the sector has slowed from a peak of 56,000 jobs in January.

7. Wage growth down from 3.4% to 3.0%.
    in a booming full employment economy??? isn't it supposed to keep going up?

- - - Updated - - -

Beating abysmal estimates is not blowout job numbers.

Are you really trying to say 128k jobs are a great number? Throw in the 38 thousand the DOL said were related to GM and you still get 166k

Did you look a the type of jobs that were created? You know what fox used to say about Obama's jobs when he was 160-200k+....."omg roar roar low paying part time jobs"

You need, by rough estimates by economist, 175-200k jobs a month to keep up with population growth and a growing economy.

Thanks for showing the difference in reporting between the bbc and fox. Good to see BBC just using fact based reporting instead of the exaggerated way Fox, CNS, Wash examiner, etc etc explain the sub standard job report.

What happens at fox when you have a different president and 160k+ jobs
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/job...-falling-short
    Jobless rate rises to 8.3 percent, hiring picks up but still falling short
    But the number brings the economy back to treading-water status
    With the rate rising from 8.2 percent to 8.3 percent, Republicans amped up their criticism of President Obama's stewardship Friday.
    "Today's increase in the unemployment rate is a hammer blow to struggling middle-class families," Mitt Romney said in a statement.

161k jobs and 2.8-2.9% wage growth you get
    https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-fri...rt-boost-trump

What happens when you have report after report of "great employment growth"....create a conspiracy
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...yment-rate-lie

Gee what happen how did the reports all of a sudden become so trusted over at fox????

Fox news - Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor and a contributing editor of National Review Online.

Last month saw the creation of 160,000 jobs, a widely panned number, and much below the 200,000-plus jobs generated in five of the last six months. Nothing about the latest employment report spells “boom.”
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Damn you Fox news! oh wait - US jobs growth beats forecasts despite GM strike impact

- - - Updated - - -

Actually McDonalds in my area is having trouble finding people despite a sign on bonus and $12hr because there are better jobs in the area. 12hr is livable here, you can get an apartment for as low as 300 that isn't subsidized, most go for 500 though.
    I remember when Republicans whined that Obama failed whenever it wasn't 200k jobs.

My, how times have changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    To be fair, pipelines are, statistically, the safest transport method for high volumes of oil. There's less spillage and damage per gallon transported than any other method, whether that's trains, trucks, or ships.

When leaks do happen, though, they're huge negative impacts. Like this. Really, the solution is to stop fucking around and wean ourselves off fossil fuels entirely. Until we do, it's a question of how many leaks and how much environmental damage. Not if.
    If proper maintenance is done and no cost cutting measures are taken, then yes, they are the safest method hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    So separation of church and state, yet the president has a friggin "faith advisor"

Wtf is even going on anymore?
    I'm an atheist and I'd have one. He'd be a guy who just helps me be diplomatic with religious groups, is all.

But I wouldn't pick a fanatical televangelist, but someone who has good knowledge of the major religions in the US.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    OT: My cat just spent 5 minutes on my desk, watching your sig as Rarity goes in one portal and out the other.
    That's just awesome. (For real.)

The McDonald's near me has a sign on bonus of like $200 and a college assistance of $3,000. By chance is that $300 apartment in a known crack den? I live in Ohio and anything less than $500 a month is an immediate red flag.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2019-11-02 at 05:38 AM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    That's a good idea if that's what faith advisor actually meant here and I would recommend presidents do this, but I really doubt that is her function here considering who she is
    True.

No one on Trump's administration is there for the right reason.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I'm an atheist and I'd have one. He'd be a guy who just helps me be diplomatic with religious groups, is all.

But I wouldn't pick a fanatical televangelist, but someone who has good knowledge of the major religions in the US.
    Same. If anything, having a faith advisor is more important for an atheist - I don't intuitively relate to how people who incorporate their religion into their thinking are likely to respond to policies and statements. I can puzzle my way through, but it's going to be helpful to have someone that actually gets it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Same. If anything, having a faith advisor is more important for an atheist - I don't intuitively relate to how people who incorporate their religion into their thinking are likely to respond to policies and statements. I can puzzle my way through, but it's going to be helpful to have someone that actually gets it.
    Trump needs a women advisor first and foremost.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Trump needs a women advisor first and foremost.
    A human advisor might be the best, maybe they can teach Trump things like empathy and normal human speech.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

So about that wall, it appears less effective than advertised...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...6ef_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post

The wall fence is impenetrable. And why would the Mexicans destroy a wall they paid for in the first place? This doesn't make any sense. You fell for fake news there, bud.

Non paywall version.

Smugglers are sawing through new sections of Trump’s border wall

Smuggling gangs in Mexico have repeatedly sawed through new sections of President Trump’s border wall in recent months by using commercially available power tools, opening gaps large enough for people and drug loads to pass through, according to U.S. agents and officials with knowledge of the damage.

The breaches have been made using a popular cordless household tool known as a reciprocating saw that retails at hardware stores for as little as $100. When fitted with specialized blades, the saws can slice through one of the barrier’s steel-and-concrete bollards in a matter of minutes, according to the agents, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the barrier-defeating techniques.

After cutting through the base of a single bollard, smugglers can push the steel out of the way, allowing an adult to fit through the gap. Because the bollards are so tall — and are attached only to a panel at the very top — their length makes them easier to push aside once they have been cut and are left dangling, according to engineers consulted by The Washington Post.

In the San Diego area, smugglers have figured out how to cut the bollards and return them to their original positions, disguising the breaches in the hope that they will go unnoticed and can be reused for repeated passage. Agents said they have learned to drive along the base of the structure looking for subtle defects, testing the metal by kicking the bollards with their boots.

If damage is detected, welding crews are promptly sent to make fixes. The smugglers, however, have returned to the same bollards and cut through the welds, agents say, because the metal is softer and the concrete at the core of the bollard already has been compromised. The smugglers also have tried to trick agents by applying a type of putty with a color and texture that resembles a weld, making a severed bollard appear intact.

“The cartels will continue to innovate, and they’re not just going to leave San Diego because the wall gets better,” Vitiello said. “That’s life on the border.”

“The bollards are not the most evolved design; they are the most evolved that we could pay for,” Vitiello said. “We never said they would be an end-all, be-all.”

10+ Year Old Account

And this, Trumpkins, is why we keep telling you that a wall across the entire border is a waste of time and money.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Wait, are you telling me that they people outside the United States know about ladders and saws?

H-O-L-Y S-H-I-T

This changes everything.