Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Why would the shadowlands need a military?

Maldraxxus’ brutal selection process has built a vast and capable militia… but its hierarchy is wobbling. The longtime leader of the realm has vanished. In his absence, five of the most eminent necrolords vie for the position, and the responsibility to advance the cause of death throughout the cosmos. Each bids on newly-arrived souls, filling their personal guard with capable soldiers and building armies larger than any yet known.

What could be "the cause of death"? I get why they need a military after sylvanas broke death but why did they need it in the first place? It seems like the shadowlands are more like a built-in mechanism in the universe rather than a faction thriving for power and expansion. Does this army provide soldiers to the deathly powers we have seen in the past? Do necromancers, liches, dks and such use it like demonology warlocks summon from the twisting nether?

What do you think?

Well, for one, every soul goes to the Shadowlands and they might not all be so happy about it. Need someone to keep the peace.

And secondly, it's not exactly rare for living people to go into the Shadowlands. Need an army to keep people out. Especially people like the Burning Legion who rather wanted to destroy literally everything in existance.

One of the Shadowlands' areas is the Revendreth where the souls of the not-so-holy go to be tortured and stripped of sin so they can enjoy their afterlife. Of course if you are destined for a place where torture awaits, you'll probably not be very cooperative, hence the military force.

5+ Year Old Account
    The Legion or other evildoers might be interested in those trillions of juicy souls...

It seems more of a police force meant to keep all the evil souls under control, really.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Well, for one, every soul goes to the Shadowlands and they might not all be so happy about it. Need someone to keep the peace.

And secondly, it's not exactly rare for living people to go into the Shadowlands. Need an army to keep people out. Especially people like the Burning Legion who rather wanted to destroy literally everything in existance.
    What? it is rare for living people to go into the Shadowlands. Living people started going there only after Sylvanas opened the gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicon View Post
    What? it is rare for living people to go into the Shadowlands. Living people started going there only after Sylvanas opened the gateway.
    No I think lore wise and for the sake of the story, only we the players will be going into the Shadowlands and probably keeping hush about what we see and do there.

I can’t imagine Azeroth would survive the collapse of society as we know it if everyone becomes aware of what the afterlife is like. Imagine in real world a rift to Heaven opens up and God is like “sup guys” and everyone can just fly around heaven and it’s wonderful - who would want to stay alive?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NaNaaru View Post
    Maldraxxus’ brutal selection process has built a vast and capable militia… but its hierarchy is wobbling. The longtime leader of the realm has vanished. In his absence, five of the most eminent necrolords vie for the position, and the responsibility to advance the cause of death throughout the cosmos. Each bids on newly-arrived souls, filling their personal guard with capable soldiers and building armies larger than any yet known.

What could be "the cause of death"? I get why they need a military after sylvanas broke death but why did they need it in the first place? It seems like the shadowlands are more like a built-in mechanism in the universe rather than a faction thriving for power and expansion. Does this army provide soldiers to the deathly powers we have seen in the past? Do necromancers, liches, dks and such use it like demonology warlocks summon from the twisting nether?

What do you think?

I think that Blizzard came up with "generic next expansion idea" and then late in development (for whatever reason) decided it just had to be an afterlife expansion, so the team went through with white-out and spray paint to make it "Azerothian afterlife" (the Shadowlands have no basis in existing lore, and do not connect to existing lore in any coherent fashion).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    No I think lore wise and for the sake of the story, only we the players will be going into the Shadowlands and probably keeping hush about what we see and do there.

I can’t imagine Azeroth would survive the collapse of society as we know it if everyone becomes aware of what the afterlife is like. Imagine in real world a rift to Heaven opens up and God is like “sup guys” and everyone can just fly around heaven and it’s wonderful - who would want to stay alive?
    We are lucky that Northrend is a wasteland.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    The Legion or other evildoers might be interested in those trillions of juicy souls...
    Yes. There should be someone to protect Shadowlands from Legion and void lords.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you think?
    You should ask about that in Q&A.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the Shadowlands is technically an Alternate dimension in addition to the main reality's, where Azeroth is, afterlife, it's likely in the far past the different areas and covenants were at war with one and other over souls and their destination, considering their value as a currency/energy source there, and the Maldraxxus' military is a holdover from when they eventually reached an accord on the division of souls via the arbiter. To add to this is the fact that the Kyrians seem to have their own military might as well in the form of Golems and Valiants. Additionally they could exist as the Four Covenants honorary opposition to the Maw as even though souls are also sent there, there's a sense they haven't always been in agreement with the other Covenants. What with the soul stealing and everything happening now.

Or I'm just writing excuses for WoW's flimsy story since they don't consider these sort of things a lot of the time.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

us, the players are the living people i was talking about....

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much what everyone else has said: to keep the peace within the realm. I don't think it's at all unlikely for some of the souls that end up in the Shadowlands to try to rebel and cause chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicon View Post
    us, the players are the living people i was talking about....
    It’s probably like WoD then - only the elite heroes chosen by the Lich King will be entering Shadowlands and we’ll be told to keep hush about it.
    I can’t imagine faction leaders or anyone in the alliance or horde will be going and doing faction/race related stuff in the afterlife

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the Shadowlands are not really at peace, less than Azeroth. They need a force most likely, as beings coming to the lands are going to be fighting against it too..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Meta reason: We need to kill some fodder

Lore-Reason invented: Maybe they were preparing to face Sargeras Legions at some point, after all it seems there is a big conflict(again) that blizzard is building up
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Hey, the civilians haven't gone stark raving mad from all the ridiculously over the top world ending threads so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

10+ Year Old Account
    And doesn’t that sound eerily like Sylvanas saying: ”This WORLD is a prison!”?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

Quote Originally Posted by MrSaggins View Post
    And doesn’t that sound eerily like Sylvanas saying: ”This WORLD is a prison!”?
    Yeah I think Sylvanas is fully convinced she’s helping us by killing everyone and sending them into the Maw.

Or “plot twist”(eww) she actually IS the good guy in this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

What do you think?
    The Shadowlands is a place of competing hierarchies and different agendas - and whenever you have that, you have a need for protection and/or the promotion of those agendas. It's both an engine and a sodality, so to speak, and individuals seem to be at the head of various parts of the process. Now with said machinery in disrepair this is needed more than ever, would seem. Not quite sure what you mean by "cause of death" in this context - the former leader of the realm is missing, not dead; which probably means they're going to turn up in some capacity. I don't know how death will work in the afterlife of the Shadowlands, but we'll probably find them in the Maw.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Probably against each other since there are still factions within the Shadowlands. And perhaps against the Void or Light.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing