Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Alliance players really need to stop it with the sethrak whining. You’re not getting them. It doesn’t matter that you found their leader first, the Horde canonically saved their goddess and they were there for Talanji’s coronation. They’d join the Horde way before the Alliance, if they joined at all. This is a hill I’m willing to die on. We likely won’t have them as a playable race at all.
    Hopefully what we get are the Mogu for the Horde, but I don’t know what the Alliance would get because Ankoan seems like a weird choice.
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMagicc View Post
    They have already confirmed its a system they would like to continue in the future.
    I don't think they said that. But, in case they did, I honestly hope they just do two per expansion, otherwise we'll end up having to scroll through pages upon pages of allied races when creating a character in a couple expansions.

5+ Year Old Account
    How exciting! I really hope we get another pair. It would make the 1 year wait for shadowlands a little bit more tolerable.
    Frostborn as a future playable race plz!

I want Bolvars on Alliance please. Undead with so much fire of life in them so they have the human model with kinda crisp skin.

I have no idea why people in this thread are so positive about the ankoan being the new/last alliance AR, they all have identical faces, only male models and limited animations with the male night elf skeleton, they are really low on the list of allied race potential unless they've just been sitting on the girls/custimization options for whatever reason(seriously the vulpera had almost all that from the get go) Nah, I'm much more confident that whatever would be the last race to join for bfa will most likely come from 8.3, and like it's been pointed out the only races remaining we don't have a counterpoint too are the undead and worgen, the undead rig is pretty obvious though I'm certain not a lot of people are happy about it, The light forged undead, and i strongly suspect(sorry hordies) that they will be horde(If it helps any Alliance feel your pain our space goats are overly sparkly too). The introductory/recruitment quest line for those guys is very likely to involve Calia, Voss, the undead nightelves and possibly the Naruu since Sylvanas is on her way to raidboss-dom and she took the last val'kyr with her this quest line will likely explain how the forsaken(the whole race) is going to keep the population from going extinct. The last Alliance race i believe will probably be tied to one of the new 8.3 reputations though this early I still can't tell I doubt we will get either of these "last races" until 8.3.5 in march/april at the earliest.

Vrykul for Alliance and Undead Elves for the Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaelia View Post
    The Alliance players really need to stop it with the sethrak whining. You’re not getting them. It doesn’t matter that you found their leader first, the Horde canonically saved their goddess and they were there for Talanji’s coronation. They’d join the Horde way before the Alliance, if they joined at all. This is a hill I’m willing to die on. We likely won’t have them as a playable race at all.
    Hopefully what we get are the Mogu for the Horde, but I don’t know what the Alliance would get because Ankoan seems like a weird choice.
    How do Ankoan seem like a weird choice?
    They're Samurai Fish People and they could even have overlap with the Jinyu, which are also an Alliance race that are a long time coming.
    The worst part is that they're probably another race with the Night Elf skeleton, but given enough custom emotes and nice customization, it shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    How do Ankoan seem like a weird choice?
    They're Samurai Fish People and they could even have overlap with the Jinyu, which are also an Alliance race that are a long time coming.
    The worst part is that they're probably another race with the Night Elf skeleton, but given enough custom emotes and nice customization, it shouldn't matter.
    It would be honestly weirder if neither side got ANY race from Nazjatar, considering an AR comes from every single other zone in BFA (and patch, if we're thinking Rajani are being set up for the Horde later).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I doubt it. Ankoan isn't really related to an Uldum race in the slightest. The rep would have to make sense for the allied race.
    Not necessary.

Vulpera were also mainly a 8.0 race whereas Mechagnomes are 8.2 and they are only made playable in 8.3, where neither really have any big roles. (besides the ones to introduce them to their respective factions)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    It would be honestly weirder if neither side got ANY race from Nazjatar, considering an AR comes from every single other zone in BFA (and patch, if we're thinking Rajani are being set up for the Horde later).
    Agreed. Both Ankoan and Jinyu are basically waiting to be made an official part of the Alliance and if you give them a few unique anims, they'll be at least Vulpera-level, which is better than can be said for Mechagnomes.

I've always thought that the strongest allied race is one that offers a new aesthetic (aquatic race, "monstrous", samurai-inspired culture) to the faction and is a result of natural connections made through the expansion.

I only wish that they'd starred in 8.3, too. Not because they need to to become AR, but it gives their culture and story life beyond Nazjatar.

I only wish that they'd starred in 8.3, too. Not because they need to to become AR, but it gives their culture and story life beyond Nazjatar.
    That kind of sounds like what their recruitment quest would be about though. If they truly are the last BFA Alliance AR, then their story will be about finding purpose in a post-Azshara/Nzoth world.

Them being the Nazjatar/sea-themed AR makes more sense than Kelfin as Kul Tirans are much more elemental/sea themed than Zandalar, and the Unshackled are a smorgasbord of races while Ankoan are more concentrated.

Even though the Vulpera rep is called Voldunai... it really is just Vulpera there. Hell in Alpha it was called "Vulpera Rep" and they tried to hide it.

I want Lightbound Orcs for Alliance

The alliance one is waaay too blatant as you say, that is nice news.

That kind of sounds like what their recruitment quest would be about though. If they truly are the last BFA Alliance AR, then their story will be about finding purpose in a post-Azshara/Nzoth world.

Them being the Nazjatar/sea-themed AR makes more sense than Kelfin as Kul Tirans are much more elemental/sea themed than Zandalar, and the Unshackled are a smorgasbord of races while Ankoan are more concentrated.

Even though the Vulpera rep is called Voldunai... it really is just Vulpera there. Hell in Alpha it was called "Vulpera Rep" and they tried to hide it.
    True. I did mention them being in 8.3 isn't needed, technically, for them to be made into an Allied Race in, say, 8.3.5. I just mean it would be nice to have some of them fighting N'Zoth too. Makes the world feel a little less disjointed.

And I would accept the Kelfin, too. But as you said, the Kelfin factions aren't just Gilblins. They're Gilblins, Makrura, Sea Giants and more, as far as I remember. They're much less defined, while the Ankoan are just that. Ankoan, samurai deepsea anglerfish people that have already taken to the Alliance. They may not be somebody's jam, but if given enough unique animations, I insist that they are at least Vulpera-tier in terms of what they bring to the table.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    The alliance one is waaay too blatant as you say, that is nice news.
    There is still a chance that it's an error, or maybe an earlier development plan that got scrapped. I hope not, because it really feels like we're lacking just one last set of allied races for BfA.

But part of me finds it difficult to imagine.

We got Dark Irons and Mag'har in 8.0
    Kul Tirans and Zandalari in 8.1.5
    Mechagnomes and Vulpera all the way in 8.3

Hard to imagine another allied race joining us in a potential 8.3.5, given the time gaps between each allied race. And I don't see them being added in 9.0 either, because that would undoubtedly be advertised by Blizzard. I want to hope, but I am a little pessimistic. That said, I won't ignore that the screenshots don't look at least somewhat promising.

True. I did mention them being in 8.3 isn't needed, technically, for them to be made into an Allied Race in, say, 8.3.5. I just mean it would be nice to have some of them fighting N'Zoth too. Makes the world feel a little less disjointed.

And I would accept the Kelfin, too. But as you said, the Kelfin factions aren't just Gilblins. They're Gilblins, Makrura, Sea Giants and more, as far as I remember. They're much less defined, while the Ankoan are just that. Ankoan, samurai deepsea anglerfish people that have already taken to the Alliance. They may not be somebody's jam, but if given enough unique animations, I insist that they are at least Vulpera-tier in terms of what they bring to the table.
    The biggest complaint against Ankoan would be "they aren't Sethrak", but they arguably have stronger ties to the Alliance. Especially if they want to tap into those old Pandaria connections and maybe have them meet the Pearlfin (with Anduin and Wrathion for big fanservice).

The quest could also feature Neptulon and have foreshadowing for what Azshara is doing in the future. Hell, they could even have "we won't stop fighting until Azshara is done, so let's join you to help find her" as their impetus for signing up.

- - - Updated - - -

There is still a chance that it's an error, or maybe an earlier development plan that got scrapped. I hope not, because it really feels like we're lacking just one last set of allied races for BfA.
    Honestly, the missing two icons on the PTR AR banner (there's definitely space for two more) was the first hint, then the Rajani looking a lot like an AR, and now the banner placement. That's three solid chunks of "evidence".

The Ankoan/Rajani connection as "pandaria" kind of sealed it for me. It's almost too clever.

The biggest complaint against Ankoan would be "they aren't Sethrak", but they arguably have stronger ties to the Alliance. Especially if they want to tap into those old Pandaria connections and maybe have them meet the Pearlfin (with Anduin and Wrathion for big fanservice).

The quest could also feature Neptulon and have foreshadowing for what Azshara is doing in the future. Hell, they could even have "we won't stop fighting until Azshara is done, so let's join you to help find her" as their impetus for signing up.
    True, people would complain that they aren't Sethrak, but I agree with most posters here that I don't see a big chance for Sethrak to end up playable myself. And even if they ended up playable, they'd end up Horde.

I think that, if we have to pick from a pool of BfA introduced races that are viable for the Alliance, though, Ankoan would be the best. If they're not picking strictly from BfA content with these last spots, then the story changes. But I'd assume that they'd want to finish with two BfA races. Now I know Mogu aren't a BfA race, but they feature fairly heavily in 8.3. Which is funny, because if I had to separate races in sets for Alliance and Horde, I'd put Jinyu and Mogu together. And Ankoan are pretty much more savage jinyu.

Would be funny to have deepsea fish people with Kul Tirans. And maybe the Alliance would be little less of a collection of pretty races + goofy races.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, the missing two icons on the PTR AR banner (there's definitely space for two more) was the first hint, then the Rajani looking a lot like an AR, and now the banner placement. That's three solid chunks of "evidence".

The Ankoan/Rajani connection as "pandaria" kind of sealed it for me. It's almost too clever.
    I do agree with that. It would work very well. Especially if, as you say, they sort of tie Jinyu and Ankoan together, either through story, or through having the Ankoan as the Allied Race, with a Jinyu-type head option, or both.

Mogu I've considered a good Horde Allied Race option for a while now. Use the Draenei skeleton, are kind of into might makes right, etc. Just didn't expect Mogu to return for 8.3. It's almost too convenient..

Would be funny to have deepsea fish people with Kul Tirans. And maybe the Alliance would be little less of a collection of pretty races + goofy races.
    If you want to get conspiracy theory about it, I'm kind of convinced that the idea for the Alliance ARs in BFA (note BFA: the Legion ones don't really fit this idea) is that they are kind of uglier and more freaky looking than the Horde's ARs, which are mostly grand and "nice" looking. Compare the Kul Tirans and Mechagnomes (which disgust a lot of people) to the much more "acceptable" looking Zandalari and Vulpera. Dark Iron clash a lot with the Alliance base aesthetic: Mag'har fit right in with the Horde.

I think the idea is to attract Horde-y players to Alliance and vice versa. Mogu would throw a wrench in this idea (they would be pretty niche), but giant fish people definitely subscribes to the "lets get some weirder players on Alliance" idea.

The "Kul Tiran Trio" of Kul Tirans/Mechagnomes/Ankoan definitely has a kind of small subsect vibe. And then Zandalari/Mogu/Vulpera also fit together.
    Last edited by Nagawithlegs; 2019-11-08 at 03:24 AM.

They mentioned that there are more dorf races

If you want to get conspiracy theory about it, I'm kind of convinced that the idea for the Alliance ARs in BFA (note BFA: the Legion ones don't really fit this idea) is that they are kind of uglier and more freaky looking than the Horde's ARs, which are mostly grand and "nice" looking. Compare the Kul Tirans and Mechagnomes (which disgust a lot of people) to the much more "acceptable" looking Zandalari and Vulpera. Dark Iron clash a lot with the Alliance base aesthetic: Mag'har fit right in with the Horde.

I think the idea is to attract Horde-y players to Alliance and vice versa. Mogu would throw a wrench in this idea (they would be pretty niche), but giant fish people definitely subscribes to the "lets get some weirder players on Alliance" idea.
    Mogu are.. okay. To me, they're sorta Orc-level in terms of their appearance. They can definitely have some appeal to people, but definitely not conventionally pretty. Also, it's amusing to me that if Horde do get Mogu, that means they have Pandaren, Zandalari and Mogu in one faction. It's like a reunion. (I know the Zandalari we play didn't work together with the Mogu, just found it funny)

But Deepsea Fish people are definitely more on the monstrous (looking) side by comparison.

Before I saw the model, I actually expected the Ankoan to be on the Worgen skeleton.

I haven't read any of the replies, so I'm not sure if it's been said or not. They DID say that they developed the tech for races with less than 2 limbs with the mechagnome for playable races at Blizzcon, so it should be possible to offer the Naga as a playable race. If there's one race that would come out of the expansion as a conclusion, it could be the Naga with N'zoth being defeated. Azshara and her people will no longer be under the will of the God of the Deep.

Based on what we've seen for Shadowlands, I imagine 8.3.5 will have another set of allied races.
    Not only has it always looked like we were getting more based on the UI, but we'll need something to keep us busy for the 8-10 months before launch.