Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    and expect more in 2020 Q1 cuz there's nothing else to back it up to kept investors happy.

Just in January we getting one more for sure for that Chinese year.

Year of the Rat, so a new rat mount is coming next.
    (Removed for Violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by BlimeyLimey View Post
    its baffling to me how the people on this forum can constantly say "this game is dead" "this game has the lowest MAUs its ever had"

and then in the same stroke

get mad when they add store mounts to... make money.

you do understand you have to make money to make new projects, yea? you do understand that in order to drive money, you may need to release store specific items if you arent getting it from subs???????

literal brainlets when it comes to business here. makes me sick, but what do i expect i guess.
    ???? How about using the existing money from the Expansion and subs to do, you know... Their job? Also, LOL at Blizzard not having enough money, that's priceless lolol. I'll never understand the excuses people make for a company selling a product to them.

On topic: I think it goes to show that Blizzard wants to do as little work as possible while getting as much cash raked in as they can. Which is sad, but not surprising given Blizzard's reputation for laziness.
    Last edited by Godric; 2019-11-10 at 05:43 AM.
    Mighty one, never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    To me mounts have always been a prestigious thing, used to show off your achievement or even simply how 'lucky' you have been. I alternate between the Living Infernal Core or the Fel Annihilator. I would have liked the Jaina mount, but I haven't been playing. Respect for those who have that mount though.

There's no prestige in pulling out the credit card.

(In b4 bUt pEoPlE cAn bUy rAiD boSs mOuNtS. Yes. I'll still view that more highly than any store bought mount)
    Some people view mounts this way, but certainly not all people. I notice when someone has a rare mount, but I don't view them as some mount god, I usually just acknowledge how rare that is in my internal monologue. People with G.M.O.D. aren't more special to me, but I simply notice the mount. Mostly, people use/get mounts because they like how they look, which doesn't really matter where the mount came from originally.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    You are aware of the existence of this newest "wow killer" that people claim is so much better than WoW right? It's called FFXIV and it has both the sub and the cash shop. And a cash shop that has hundreds of items, not like the one in wow.
    Yep and one of the things on their store are Retainers which you don't even buy you rent and they are not just cosmetic as they have multiple functions such as sending them out to farm stuff but the most important use is they are required to sell things on the marketplace and each only has a limited inventory the game itself only gives you 2 retainers the rest have to be rented from the store for $2 a month each and you can rent up to 6 so they directly affect your ability to earn gil.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    I only play Classic and if the retail part of the game is so great then why are you not playing it right now?

- - - Updated - - -

Well war and genocide has been around since before the beginning of recorded history so it must be fine too.
    This is not a real argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Yes, its optional to use, BUT the time spent designing items that goes on the store could have been spent on making ingame items instead. The problem with adding items to a store, even purely cosmetic ones, is that it incentivises them to make the regular game a little bit worse, so that players are tempted to buy the stuff from the store.
    How much time do you think they spent on some of those?

Also, you are being subsidized by the in game shop.

No, it makes nothing worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    The issue is the subscription isn't optional.

Very few games have a box price AND a sub AND a cash shop. Blizzard is the only company arrogant enough to think their dying mmo should have all 3.

- - - Updated - - -

You've missed the point entirely. The best mounts visually have all been shop mounts for quite some time now, and content that is actually difficult rewards fuck all.
    Then don't fucking buy it.

Also, this is subjective.

Of 100% of the mounts added to the store, I have purchased 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Paying for expacs and a sub and theres a cash shop. It's ridiculous.

I hate that people just bend over and take it with the "its optional" shit. Removing things from a game to sell, Absolutely pathetic the state of gaming now. I can't wait for the next crash so we can clear out a few of these greedy corporations.
    I've been playing since vanilla was current so maybe in all my years of playing I missed something, but could you please point out which mounts were removed then re-added to the cash shop? Thank you in advance.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Celestial Steed - Apr 2010 - Wrath

Winged Guardian - May 2011 - Cata
    Heart of the Aspects - Feb 2012 - Cata

Iron Skyreaver - Jan 2014 - MoP
    Enchanted Fey Dragon - Nov 2013 - MoP
    Warforged Nightmare - June 2014 - MoP

Mystic Runesaber - May 2015 - WoD

Luminous Starseeker - Aug 2017 - Legion
    Shu-zen the Divine Sentinel - Feb 2018 - Legion

Vulpine Familiar - Dec 2018 - BfA
    Hogrus, Swine of Good Fortune - Jan 2019 - BfA
    Dreadwake - Apr 2019 - BfA
    Sylverian Dreamer - Jun 2019 - BfA
    15th Anniversary Alabaster Mounts - Aug 2019 - BfA

5/14 mounts..... well I guess that is "almost" half..... however if you added the mounts back in that were removed from the game shop, we would have a vastly different story. also, having the 15th anniversary mounts in there is kinda not fair so if we remove those that would be 4/13

Quote Originally Posted by Exhuman View Post
    and expect more in 2020 Q1 cuz there's nothing else to back it up to kept investors happy.
    So tired of this "investors happy" false narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhuman View Post
    Just in January we getting one more for sure for that Chinese year.

Year of the Rat, so a new rat mount is coming next.
    The Chinese New Years campaign mount tends to get added a bit later to the western shop. I loved the pig from last year. Looking forward to what they do with the rat. Chinese New Years celebration campaign mounts are always cool.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    You've missed the point entirely. The best mounts visually have all been shop mounts for quite some time now, and content that is actually difficult rewards fuck all.
    "best looking" is subjective so it might be true for you... but do you actually think so? If you were to rank all the mounts the store mounts would come up on top of it?

There are a couple mythic endboss and glory of the raider/dungeoneer mounts that would be far ahead of most store mounts for me.

Also... again... 14 vs 343

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    5/14 mounts..... well I guess that is "almost" half..... however if you added the mounts back in that were removed from the game shop, we would have a vastly different story. also, having the 15th anniversary mounts in there is kinda not fair so if we remove those that would be 4/13

You missed three of the mounts, not that it's a huge difference, but still factors into the numbers. Here's a more complete analysis of it that I did earlier in the thread.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    You missed three of the mounts, not that it's a huge difference, but still factors into the numbers. Here's a more complete analysis of it that I did earlier in the thread.
    yeah I did current store, didn't include the unobtainable ones

edit: also your analysis has Shu-zen in BfA but it was actually added in Legion. same with Warforged Nightmare it was added in MoP not WoD
    Last edited by MrLachyG; 2019-11-10 at 07:54 AM.

Almost half
    4/14 isn't even one third. 28% to be exact.

Cosmetic MTX is just like a donate button with reward, there is no prestige with shop items. And if more people donate the more content we will get because the game is making more money which is good for investors so they let more money be spent in that game making more content for you.

Those guys who buy items in the shop indirectly pay for your content ingame.

After all, games are still just a business.
    Last edited by kappalol; 2019-11-10 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kappalol View Post
    Cosmetic MTX is just like a donate button with reward, there is no prestige with shop items. And if more people donate the more content we will get because the game is making more money which is good for investors so they let more money be spent in that game making more content for you.

Those guys who buy items in the shop indirectly pay for your content ingame.
    but.... you're telling me that the shop that's 100% completely and totally optional can be a GOOD thing for the game? you mean Blizzard isn't PURPOSELY making their game worse so people will... keep playing and buy store mounts.. or... something...? god this conspiracy theory is so dumb I can't even type it out right.

I guess it depends on your plan but unique model mount from the store is cheaper than "It should be obtainable by playing the game!" unique mount like Nazjatar Crab (4 months) . Check how many bother with those https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/global-stats/mounts.
    My only problem with store is that they put those nonsensical chinese mounts in there. Absolute eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Removing things from a game to sell, Absolutely pathetic the state of gaming now. I can't wait for the next crash so we can clear out a few of these greedy corporations.
    If you honestly believe that these mounts would exist and handed out for free if there was no cash shop, then I'm sorry, but thats not how a business works.

They are not "removing things" to sell them, they are making extra content to sell, because they can pay the 3D artists with the money earned from those mounts.

PS:
    All businesses are "greedy", their entire underlying goal is to make money. Publicly traded business even more so, because their shareholders can actually sue them if they start acting charitable instead of making money.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2019-11-10 at 09:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We just got a Deathwing mount literally for free that kicks the shit out of most shop mounts.

It's almost like bitching for sake of bitching here. Yes they sell mounts in cash shop, gonna live with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Mounts don’t increase your skills as a player or give you a competitive advantage.
    So? What’s your point?

Everything in the shop is purely cosmetic. The more the better for me. More money pools into wow development.
    To shareholders not development. Next time you ask why is there so little content, why we didnt get new class or race. Look into your mount tab becouse that shop mount you bought is propably reason. Blizzard doesnt have to spend resources on developing new content to keep players playing. You can also just let them leave and counter it with in game microtransation. Less spendings on the game and profit is still same or even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    yeah I did current store, didn't include the unobtainable ones

edit: also your analysis has Shu-zen in BfA but it was actually added in Legion. same with Warforged Nightmare it was added in MoP not WoD
    That's because I was going by WoWHead patch notes where it was fully added into the game rather than when it physically hit the store. I'll make the adjustments to those two though.

It just makes it even more skewed with MoP being the most. In order for BFA to be tied with the most we have to throw in the 3 promotional mounts too. Even then it still wouldn't be the most as the OP would lead us to believe.

Wrath - 1 (5.9%)
    Cata - 2 (11.8%)
    MoP - 5 (29.4%)
    WoD - 2 (11.8%)
    Legion - 2 (11.8%)
    BfA - 2 (11.8%)
    Promotional - 3 (17.6%)
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2019-11-10 at 11:20 AM.