Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dying in the Shadowlands

So what happens when our character dies in the Shadowlands? Sub Spirit Healer, Sub Shadowlands? Concept doesn't make much sense but we'll be dying and reviving in the shadowlands for gameplay sake.
    Last edited by RCA; 2019-11-10 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has said that when we die in this expansion,it will visually look different. No other new information yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were asked this and they said there will be something different about it mechanically, but overall similar to the idea we got now.

If you are looking for some lore answer, they said for creatures that die in Shadowlands - they become energy that in the end returns to some form or some such. Overall we will be able to bend the rules because of connection to Azeroth.

It was all pretty vague, but I imagine we will find out.

hey what if you kill a Wild God inside SL???

I guess they die permanently then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosen View Post
    Blizzard has said that when we die in this expansion,it will visually look different. No other new information yet.
    It was alredy implemented in the demo (may change though), you essentially turn into a disembodied soul with a "generic shape" and float back to your body.

There is plenty of footage of livestreams from Blizzcon that showed this.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I would have liked to see them allow for the Spirit to fly in Shadowlands zones, as my Artifact Weapon during Legion seemed to on my Hunter.

I'd turn into a Spirit Eagle and this made complicated, vertical corpse-runs far easier.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    I would have liked to see them allow for the Spirit to fly in Shadowlands zones, as my Artifact Weapon during Legion seemed to on my Hunter.

I'd turn into a Spirit Eagle and this made complicated, vertical corpse-runs far easier.
    wow I didnt know hunters had it easy on corps run back in legion xD

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    So what happens when our character dies in the Shadowlands? Sub Spirit Healer, Sub Shadowlands? Concept doesn't make much sense but we'll be dying and reviving in the shadowlands for gameplay sake.
    Youtube is your friend (1:13):

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Youtube is your friend (1:13):

Nice. I guess you're our friend too.

Permadeath, your character gets deleted and have to start another one from lv1
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

it's interesting.

seems "mortals"(beings from the great dark, aka our universe) are better than fundamental creatures from other realms(demons, void entities, etc.). we have to be killed twice to go away forever, both body and soul. otherwise, we can always come back through resurrection.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's interesting.

seems "mortals"(beings from the great dark, aka our universe) are better than fundamental creatures from other realms(demons, void entities, etc.). we have to be killed twice to go away forever, both body and soul. otherwise, we can always come back through resurrection.
    Apparently not, we die in the Shadowlands and just take on a different style of ghost.

I wonder if the new death effect will also be applied to Azeroth, cause it's just plain cool.

Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    wow I didnt know hunters had it easy on corps run back in legion xD
    Only SV hunters. It was one of their artifact's 'hidden' effects.

You can see what happens in a Taliesen and Evitel video. (spelling?)

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Apparently not, we die in the Shadowlands and just take on a different style of ghost.

I wonder if the new death effect will also be applied to Azeroth, cause it's just plain cool.
    i believe that may be the pure anima form of the soul.

why we would take that form, idk. if you watch streamers, you see spirits of other races in the kyrian area. there's also spirits in this more shade-like form, but a dev interview described that as being the souls of races we don't have a reference point on, so their form is indistinct(aka, we don't want to make new alien models for random npcs).

They did not answer that question sufficiently.

What happens lorewise when someone dies in the Shadowlands? They can just resurrect there? Someone like Kael'thas on his redemption mission, when he dies, he just gets another shot? Infinite continues?

Well, the catch is we are going to The Shadowlands alive, aren't we? We're keeping our mortal bodies and walking the realm of the dead alive, we're "special", an exception. So if even if we are in Shadowlands, we're still technically alive if that makes sense, so dying should be same as on Azeroth. I'll elaborate.

Not sure if anyone else is a fan of the anime Saint Seiya where they battle Greek Gods, but in the third chapter, they had to battle Hades, God of the Underworld (Azeroth's version is Shadowlands.) Well for the heroes in Saint Seiya, it wasn't enough to defeat Hades' mortal host and lieutenants on Earth. They wanted to kill him in his own realm once and for all (like we had to kill Ragnaros in Firelands once and for all.) But how do you defeat the God of the Underworld in his own domain? You can't just kill yourself and fight him in spirit form if he holds dominion over you in spirit form. You have to reach the Underworld ALIVE. Only the most powerful of Saint Seiya could do this, they called it The 8th Sense (arayashiki.) Only by awakening the 8th sense, could they reach the Underworld alive to kill Hades there.

I thought our heroes going to Shadowlands was the same thing. We go to the Shadowlands without dying, we're there alive, perhaps perplexing the natives there, which means we can still die, and then our spirit still has to run back to our bodies in Shadowlands and retrieve it just like if we died on Azeroth. Going through the Maw doesn't mean we die (I think.) We go through it alive, escape it alive, and stay alive in the realm of the dead. At least that's how I'd make sense of it, but doesn't look like Blizz sees it this way. Apparently we become a special kind of ghost. lol Blizz should have watched Saint Seiya: Hades Chapter for a fantasy expert's point of view on death. It incorporates Hindu beliefs and Buddhism, who are very theoretical and studious regarding mortality and what might happen to us.

"Arayashiki (阿頼耶識 Arayashiki) is, primarily, the sense which allows the dead to perform basic tasks, and feel pain and suffering while in the underworld. It is linked to reincarnation[7], dead consciousness and the first steps of godhood (so much that the ones who approach it are often referred to as "close to the gods"). Naturally, this sense would only awaken after death, when all other senses are lost, and wouldn't allow human consciousness to remain while in the form of a soul. However, it is possible to achieve the eighth sense while alive, in which case the user can even keep their consciousness after reaching the underworld[1], which is also possible with certain items and blessings that simulate its activation, such as the blessing of Hades (shared by specters and their undead surplices), Sasha's flower bracelets (as shown by Pegasus Tenma)[2] and Athena's Sword (a demonstrated by Unicorn Yato).[2]"

10+ Year Old Account
    Curious on what it means for Night Elves and wisps.

Slightly off topic: It would be hilarious and scary if they add holes where you fall off the world like in Mac'Aree.

The spirits of the characters that are in the afterlife are immaterial and invulerable lorewise, in the Shadowlands everything that has passed from the Arbiter is assigned to their eternal destiny, however the adventurers and some npcs are technically still alive when they go there to stop Sylvanas with the help of Bolvar so when you die there it will follow similar experience where your spirit must go back to the location to revive.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    The only way for a spirit to die in Shadowlands is use it as energy or fuel for something else. You don't have a living spirit anymore since the energy latent within your spirit has been consumed or used for something else say on a Soul furnace or the SL "machine of death".

If you checked Bastion questline they erase the memories of their past which is a different "form or entity" in SL. In Revendreth memories of the past are very important as it is the very element or record of past event carved in your own sinstone.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2020-05-01 at 08:45 PM.