Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Idk, the novel came out before the movie did.
    care to quote it then?

7+ Year Old Account
    There ya go.
    That doesn’t say she’s non military just that she is the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Plots aren't really what determine what's good or bad. Most plots in movies are just person runs into trouble, solves some problems, goes on a journey, gets themselves out of trouble. Thats about it for almost all of them. Some I liked and some I didn't.

But I take it you have an agenda in all of this. Imagine having an agenda for a movie on an obscure MMO forum. I respect changing the world though man. I got a fist in the air for you and if you don't have an agenda then.. who cares?
    When people talk about the plot of a movie they are obviously talking about the details of the plot and not a version so generalized that there is no way to tell what movie is being discussed. Summarizing a movie in that way contributes nothing to the discussion.

And I mean if we want to play the agenda game obviously you have one too. You dedicated time and effort into responding to my post and downplaying what I was saying on some obscure MMO forum. Fist in the air and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxit the Gnome View Post
    It's been two years and I can still get people seething with rage just by saying that I thought TLJ was a good movie.
    Its equally easy to get people seething with rage by talking about not liking TLJ. Is your point that people get passionate about things they like?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Exactly. No, I was joking to anyone how took my question seriously. Most if the fan feedback is that the new movies push a BS woman power and PoC narrative.
    Im with this guy, I dont want to pay people for PC culture in everything they do. Im simply turned off from it being everywhere I look. That coupled with J J making movies that look like B rated sci-fi films (the second movie in this new series, thats how little i pay attention to it) I think it deserves a Hard Pass. Thats saying alot as both My father and I loved Star wars during there respect era's in our childhood's. I wish the best to anyone who is a Star Wars fan, but I wont take the argument that its the pinnacle of sci-fi films any longer.

7+ Year Old Account
    whatever you gotta tell yourself.
    I don't have to tell my self any thing you just posted something that backed up my position of her being the leader and did nothing for your position of her being a civilian leader only.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I don't have to tell my self anything you just posted something that backed up my position of her being the leader and did nothing for your position of her being a civilian leader only.
    While Mon Mothma, did have some connection to military matters, hers was more like the US president, he listens to the military and then backs their play by giving the order.

You could see this in A New Hope(did not see much of her yet) In RotJ where she did give the briefing but was more leader than a military commander. In all the Legends canon, she was a civilian Leader first and military leader second until Leia took over as New REpublic leader

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    While Mon Mothma, did have some connection to military matters, hers was more like the US president, he listens to the military and then backs their play by giving the order.

You could see this in A New Hope(did not see much of her yet) In RotJ where she did give the briefing but was more leader than a military commander. In all the Legends canon, she was a civilian Leader first and military leader second until Leia took over as New REpublic leader
    Not really talking about the cannon or lore more so how she comes across in the movie and if she reflects reality or not in women not being present in the military in the 70’s.

I’m willing to factor in the return book but not really like the rest of the lore past the release of return because no one seeing the movie would have that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not going to post the whole book, but you should check it out. It's pretty clear she's not military without explicitly stating such, mostly because the average reader is smart enough to understand that she's a politician and not a member of the military. Sorry that it blew up your theory that the lore wasn't available before RotJ was released.
    You don’t have to post the whole book just a quote that backs up your point what you posted is actually the opposite of that.

Irrespective of the argument y'all are having, that's awful writing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Elected leaders aren't members of the military. If they are they have a rank attached to their name. Here's more discussing all the political shit she did to set up the rebellion.

Yeah, if you don't understand that she's a politician and not military that's on you.
    I understand that she's a politician my understanding isn't what were discussing its rather or not that is info available to movie goers at the time of release or while seeing the movie.

The real world does not opperate on twitter. The reason Star wars is going downhill is not women, its not black guy with a lightsaber. Samuel L Jackson had a fucking pink lightsaber and people loved it. The original movie are light on women and on non white people, because it was made in hollywood in the 70s. Where most workers were, WHITE PEOPLE AND MALE. All the following extended universe products, games, books, etc have a lot of diverse stories and characters. Nobody would bail on a good star wars game because you play as a women jedi, nobody in the 90s, nobody in the 2000, nobody would now. Nobody didnt see Rogue one because Jinn is female. Infact to me its their best dinesy star wars movie by far. It was fun, entertaining, had their best battle by far.

So if its not LUL WOMEN, LUL BLACK GUY. What is it? Its too much movies in too little time, with shitty characters and a shitty story now. Finn could have been a great character, instead hes literally did nothing an entire movie. Rose, literally killing herself to hit someone ship, to stop them from killing themselves to not save others by killing himself. Good writing? Meanwhile the good "commander" kill herself in her ship to save everyone! So which is it? The movie cant even decide what it wants to say it contradict itself in a matter of seconds and then multiple time in the same movie.

Poe could have been a great character, shaping up to be a leader pilot, oh yeah all he did last movie is get shit on by a commander that wouldnt tell him the fucking plan? So now follow orders blindly is the message? All she had to say is Lea and I have a plan we just cant tell you yet. He would have backed off, when was Poe ever unreasonable in the first movie again? Instead they dont tell him shit, act as if they have no plan, then you are suposed to be like wow POE you messed up, you tried to save everyone because people wont tell you they have a plan to save everyone, you are so aweful Poe! Its all your fault for trying to save everyone!

Rey, actually doing ok in the second movie, much better then first one where she literally just goes throught the movie with no challenge what so ever, not even a mental challenge.

Kylo, probably their best character in both movies. He does exactly what a character such as this should. Hes both a mix of pathetic, yet still intimidating. I honestly wish they had focused on him even more since they sure as hell didnt want Poe and Finn do have anything to do?

If people really think black people will show up to a star wars movie just because it has a black guy in it, i got some bridges to sell you. And even if that was their reason to actually see the movie, considering hes given nothing to do, it sure as hell wont be the reason they watch the next one.

Im willing to bet its not even 5% of the human population have gender/race/sex as a top 5 reason to consume any fiction, EVER. Nobody works like that. Hence its not why people hate these films more and more. The story is simply shit, underwhelming. You can make finn a white guy, rey a man. It would still get exactly the result it has now.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-11-12 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biochem92 View Post
    Im with this guy, I dont want to pay people for PC culture in everything they do. Im simply turned off from it being everywhere I look. That coupled with J J making movies that look like B rated sci-fi films (the second movie in this new series, thats how little i pay attention to it) I think it deserves a Hard Pass. Thats saying alot as both My father and I loved Star wars during there respect era's in our childhood's. I wish the best to anyone who is a Star Wars fan, but I wont take the argument that its the pinnacle of sci-fi films any longer.
    You misunderstood me, I think inclusion is good.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Irrespective of the argument y'all are having, that's awful writing.
    Welcome to star wars :P
    The only thing worse is the warcraft books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    When people talk about the plot of a movie they are obviously talking about the details of the plot and not a version so generalized that there is no way to tell what movie is being discussed. Summarizing a movie in that way contributes nothing to the discussion.

And I mean if we want to play the agenda game obviously you have one too. You dedicated time and effort into responding to my post and downplaying what I was saying on some obscure MMO forum. Fist in the air and all that jazz.
    The its not me its you counter. Sad. It is ok. Keep on going what you are going on. I will just keep my mind open on a movie that even isn't in theaters yet. I am not going in thinking it will be trash or great. I am not going out of my way to listen to "leaks" that are often availed in agenda (people that have been hating on the franchise for almost a decade always seem to spin it to shit, people shilling for the franchise for almost a decade always seem to spin it to greatness). But hey, like I said.. if you don't have an agenda it is odd you are worried about me so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    You misunderstood me, I think inclusion is good.
    well enjoy ur pink haired heroine's and dont forget to pay for tyrone's kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Biochem92 View Post
    well enjoy ur pink haired heroine's and dont forget to pay for tyrone's kid.
    Not sure if I'm supposed to get the reference or not. But inclusion is a good thing. The more marginalized people are normalized in media the better we all are. But continue being a scared white dude afraid of things that are different that you because tour fragile little ego can't stand it.

Well, this seems as good a place as any for this.
    The gift that never stops giving.

I had a nightmare about this movie and it didn’t end well at all
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

-snip-

You know full well the conspiracy and social/political agenda talk that this YouTuber espouses is forbidden on this subforum. You cannot circumvent that rule by posting a YT video without commentary and hope it goes unnoticed.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-11-18 at 09:57 PM.

Meh, it's just a rumor for now. We've had people writing pages of fan fiction not a month ago in the wow setiion as well just to sell them as "leaks". Though I would find it incredibly funny if they actually killed off all the old characters unceremoniously in one scene along with that shitty ass space ship (I could never stand the cult around the millenium falcon) in an ultimate attempt to piss off the fans. It would be the perfect representation of all the new films have been.

I only want to see the movie for Johnson's "you know, fuck it" and what kind of Frankenstein's monster they cobble together with people that are also credited for writing on BvS:DoJ, Justice League and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Something magical will happen here, either the stars align and some of the worst screen writers in hollywood at the moment compensate one another perfectly - or this will be the biggest shit show of incoherent character 180s and a treasure trove of writing sinns on the level of The Room. Either way will be entertaining. The horses on a space ship already fired up my expecations :D.

PS.: The guy certainly deserves the award for "most obnoxious online persona of a youtuber". Also classy choice for a name..

Edit: Hmm with the mod edit above my comment doesn't make much sense anymore I guess.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-11-18 at 10:04 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.