Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Danuser did praise their work with the final season of GoT, so...
    He did? That's a concern

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm not sure how this hasn't gotten a thread yet, but we have this new character, "The Jailer", who I originally thought was overseeing the weird chained shadow but people seem to be saying is that...

Who are they jailing?

Every soul sent through them goes to "The Maw" where it's drained of energy.

Whose maw?

I think answering this is the key who figuring out exactly what Sylvanas stands to gain with this long term plan.
    Edit your shit so it actually makes sense. He's the jailer of the damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    Edit your shit so it actually makes sense. He's the jailer of the damned.
    I know that. I didn't need 5 pages of people reiterating that. Edited the main post to make that more clear, it was supposed to be an "infer and brainstorm possible scenarios" type question but I made it more specific of what I think it is.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-11-11 at 10:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    1. Jailer of those deemed unworthy, those sent to the maw, bassicly hell.
    2. The maw, a place that consumes all souls, devouring them. No ones maw, just the maw.

The arbiter is as the Christians would say, Saint peter. Sitting at the pearly gates.
    The arbiter decides where you go, bastion if you are pure, to the fae if you are of nature. Necrolords if you are of the darkness and undeath, revendreth if you were a despiscible creature, but had some redeeming qualities.
    The maw is bassicly the 9 hells. The worst of the worst place to go, anyone going there bassicly gets slowly consumed until they are a husk, held there by the jailor.

Bastion and fae are heaven
    Necrolords are bassicly limbo
    Revenue is hell

Maw is mega super hell.
    What would be awesome would be that if you had many times where you camped the same player over and over again you go to the maw, and if you rarely fought in pvp you go to bastion, etc. the character statistics would come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    @horbindr So you are saying that shadowy chained guy might actually be the good guy?
    could be. the ruler of hell is a good guy in plenty of pantheons. but he will probably be a bit more on the gray side of things.

the easiest way to make sylvanas be the good guy all along (which is what blizz seems to want to do), is to make the jailer a good guy too. and the easiest way to do that is to make him do what he is doing to fight the void lords/real death god/something like those.

(or alternatively, he is just the puppet of whoever broke the machine of death in the first place, and sylvanas was tricked by him, but then she kills him once she finds out so its all okay. and then we build bolvar a new helm and he becomes the new jailer).
    Last edited by horbindr; 2019-11-11 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm not sure how this hasn't gotten a thread yet, but we have this new character, "The Jailer", who I originally thought was overseeing the weird chained figure behind Sylvanas but people seem to be saying is that figure...

Who are they jailing?

Every soul sent through them goes to "The Maw" where it's drained of energy. But consider...

Whose maw?

I think answering this is the key who figuring out exactly what Sylvanas stands to gain with this long term plan. Is "The Maw" literal, referring to the jaws of an even Bigger Bad that they're feeding?
    I guess it's safe to rule out that the jailer isn't alsestein. It was speculated by some that is who the jailer really is. NK recently confirmed that it's not apparently.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    2. The maw, a place that consumes all souls, devouring them. No ones maw, just the maw.

The arbiter is as the Christians would say, Saint peter. Sitting at the pearly gates.
    The arbiter decides where you go, bastion if you are pure, to the fae if you are of nature. Necrolords if you are of the darkness and undeath, revendreth if you were a despiscible creature, but had some redeeming qualities.
    The maw is bassicly the 9 hells. The worst of the worst place to go, anyone going there bassicly gets slowly consumed until they are a husk, held there by the jailor.

Revenue is hell

Maw is mega super hell.
    Catholics might say that the Arbiter is like St. Peter. Protestants would say that God is the judge. Revendreth might be the equivalent of Catholic Purgatory.

Meanwhile, deep at the bottom of The Maw, it's just this dude again:

Gorefiend: Death in an alternate timeline was merely a setback! Nom nom nom, souls!

edit: Or, even crazier idea for people still clinging to the insanely slim chance Sylvanas is somehow a hero this expansion: The Maw is Azeroth. Souls funneled directly to her help rejuvinate her, and so we had to sacrifice most of both factions to her insatiable hunger to...

HEAL AZEROTH'S WOONS.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-11-12 at 03:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    We already knew the Lich King had a connection to the Shadowlands. When we snuck through the Shadowlands in that Howling Fjord quest he was in there and spoke to us.
    which quest is that?

Just because he's not a specific character we had met before, doesn't mean he isn't a type of thing we haven't met before. Considering his size, the true titan of death?

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Kil'Jaeden really went out of his way to fuck with some nobody orc from Draenor...
    Lol i think this is one of the worst parts about this retcon. It doesn't make any sense at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.

Revenue is hell

Maw is mega super hell.
    Close. Bastion is heaven.
    Fae is the pagan after-life all about reincarnating not just sitting around derping in an afterlife.
    Necrolords are limbo yes.
    Revendeth or w/e is purgatory.

Purgatory is above hell, but bellow limbo. Limbo is in between heaven and hell. In traditional text that didn't retcon everything but heaven and hell. Limbo is where a good person would go if they weren't of the "proper religion" or a meh, less then desirable person who was of the "proper religion"

Hell was only for the worst of the worst. Most people don't go to hell, you'd have to be a true monster to end up in hell. But now it's super binary. You're good (really good) you get to go to heaven, otherwise it's hell. I don't put faith in abrehamic religions but I have studied them.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity11 View Post
    Close. Bastion is heaven.
    Fae is the pagan after-life all about reincarnating not just sitting around derping in an afterlife.
    Necrolords are limbo yes.
    Revendeth or w/e is purgatory.
    While that could be the interpretation from the perspective of real life abrahamic traditions, I think that is really not what Blizzard is going for here, as there are some key differences. The filtering into the covenants is described less based on the simple sin-counter system the bible would have us believe in and more a personality based system. All souls also seem to go through some purification proceedure unique to each covenant as some of the demo footage already hinted at and these places are also the final resting places of all souls that go there. Purgatory (and sometimes limbo*) is a/are transitionary stages, not final destinations. Normally in the christian traditions that believe in purgatory, it would be the initial purification after death before you move onto heaven. Bastion also may very well not be a heaven to everyone, it's just the thing most christians would associate with it because of the artstyle, not so much the whole servitude angle that bastion does have going for it.

So while there are some similarities, the overall structure is fundamentally different.

*(you also mixed up limbo and purgatory in that regard, purgatory would be the initial purification upon entering the afterlife [kind of what the name implies] to prepare you for heaven, where limbo is the pre-stage to hell. It also depends on what age your quote from, there is also the medivial believe in a 4 way split hell for those who are laden with "original sin", where the maw would be the hell of the damned, but I doubt Blizzard will give us a limbo of the [unbaptized] infants. If we go back to the ancient greeks, limbo can also be a final destination again, though it was called something different (homer's asphodel meadows), yet clearly influenced the idea of limbo in medival europe later.)
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    He did? That's a concern
    Yeah, he said it was "brilliant", I think it was the episode in which they met at the gates of...

Ah, shit, Saurfang's Mak'gora makes a lot more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Yeah, he said it was "brilliant", I think it was the episode in which they met at the gates of...

Ah, shit, Saurfang's Mak'gora makes a lot more sense now.
    I will at least give them that the Undead at the top of Icecrown in the Shadowlands trailer ended up infinitely more threatening and imposing than the army of wights managed to be in Season 8.

And hey, could be worse. BfA could have ended with Zek'han making a speech on why Lillian Voss was the perfect warchief all along.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Bolvar is the jailer of the undead. The Jailer is the jailer of the dead.
    And the jailer has a blue gem in his crown. He's clearly meant to be a miror of the LK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    Do we know that she was 'improperly' sent there and didn't go there normally?
    I'm inclined to believe there is a possibility she wasn't supposed to go to the Maw. In the short story about her jumping off Icecrown, when she first dies she goes to a happy place until she's suddenly sucked into the Maw. Could just be the writer being dramatic, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    Being someone who greatly appreciates a subversion of expectations, when it's done right, I find myself hoping the Jailer isn't the bad guy. At least, not the real bad guy.

Sylvanas wants to free everybody from oblivion, yet she's working with the guy at the source of such a nightmare? Something's not quite right...
    Jailer becomes new king of SW because he has a good story.

Could be Yoggsharon the one locked in the Maw

Quote Originally Posted by Franarok View Post
    Could be Yoggsharon the one locked in the Maw
    Or his mouth IS the Maw, after all, God of Death and everything.

He Is the Jailer of the Maw. The Maw is some bigger entity's mouth, the 'hungering darkness' that Sylvanas was alluding to. She serves THAT entity. She and the Jailer work together. I think.