View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Upgrade to broadband where Ilive has basically been BT laughing at us and saying that if we want super fast broadband we will have to pay for the infrastructure improvements ourself. They did upgrade the town nearest where I live but didnt bother doing the last 2 points on the line as it were.

I live on the edge of a suburban town less than 50 miles from London. Hardly the middle of nowhere.
    I live "7 miles" outside of Cardiff, the first area in the UK to receive fibre optic broadband (iirc, certainly that's how Virgin advertised it back at the time) and we're in the same situation, essentially we have to wait until a profitable threshold of residents have petitioned them to install the cables so that they view it as worth their time to do. It's urban developed area from Cardiff city centre up to about 1.5 km from our house, to boot

Fortunately the 2MB we can currently get is fine for everything except downloading patches which can be kinda tedious (Hearthstone adds another 3GB? That's around half an hour where we can't stream or use the internet, can be disruptive)

Sorry offtopic ramble
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I live "7 miles" outside of Cardiff, the first area in the UK to receive fibre optic broadband (iirc, certainly that's how Virgin advertised it back at the time) and we're in the same situation, essentially we have to wait until a profitable threshold of residents have petitioned them to install the cables so that they view it as worth their time to do. It's urban developed area from Cardiff city centre up to about 1.5 km from our house, to boot

Fortunately the 2MB we can currently get is fine for everything except downloading patches which can be kinda tedious (Hearthstone adds another 3GB? That's around half an hour where we can't stream or use the internet, can be disruptive)

Sorry offtopic ramble
    Ah crappy download speeds. I think it took me a week to download DS3 on my PS4.

Trying to run a business with crappy and intermittent internet provision like this must absolutely suck.

7+ Year Old Account
    As UK levels of food bank use rise to approach those in the EU and of Germany Labour sure have their priorities right. People can starve but still google. Ridiculous.

Good job the nutters have no chance of power.

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 42%
    LAB: 28%
    LDEM: 13%
    BREX: 5%
    GRN: 3%

via @Survation, 14 - 16 Nov

https://twitter.com/britainelects/st...549618178?s=21

From Labour friendly survation too, all is lost for the remainers eurochums...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    As UK levels of food bank use rise to approach those in the EU and of Germany Labour sure have their priorities right. People can starve but still google. Ridiculous.

Good job the nutters have no chance of power.
    Achem

According to an all-party parliamentary report released in December 2014, key reasons for the increased demand for UK foodbanks are delays in paying benefits, welfare sanctions, and the recent reversal of the post-WWII trend for poor people's incomes to rise above or in line with increased costs for housing, utility bills and food.[85][86][87]

In 2013, the UK Government blocked a £22,000,000 European Union fund to help finance food banks in the UK. This disappointed Labour MEP, Richard Howitt, who assisted in negotiating the fund.
    It's really just best to assume the opposite of what you're saying to know what reality is like.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Achem

It's really just best to assume the opposite of what you're saying to know what reality is like.
    Yes ahem to you too.

Food bank use in Germany and France is much higher than in the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_bank

Sorry to expose the whole modus operandi of the EU in the mantra of feed the people scraps, keep them starving, poor, grateful and compliant. You have your ways, we have ours and we know what the will of the UK people is now don't we?

A vote to remain in the EU, a vote for the Lib Dems/Labour is for more food banks, plain and simple. But in Labours case free interntzzz.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes ahem to you too.

Sorry to expose the whole modus operandi of the EU in the mantra of feed the people scraps, keep them starving, poor, grateful and compliant. You have your ways, we have ours and we know what the will of the UK people is now don't we?

A vote to remain in the EU, a vote for the Lib Dems/Labour is for more food banks, plain and simple. But in Labours case free interntzzz.
    I followed the sources from Wikipedia. You know where they got that from? An Ian Duncan Smith quote on the BBC...A fucking quote from IDS...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/50324852

There is no evidence at all to suggest we use more than Germany, one quick google and you'll see this.

This was from 2018

Nearly 4 million adults in the UK have been forced to use food banks due to ”shocking” levels of deprivation, figures have revealed for the first time.
    This was 4 years earlier

In an interview with BBC One's Sunday Politics, Mr Duncan Smith said 1.5 million people a week used food banks in Germany.
    Thats why we never allow our Uni Students to cite Wikipedia itself, but follow the sources of the information.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I followed the sources from Wikipedia. You know where they got that from? An Ian Duncan Smith quote on the BBC...A fucking quote from IDS...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/50324852

There is no evidence at all to suggest we use more than Germany, one quick google and you'll see this.

This was from 2018

This was 4 years earlier

Thats why we never allow our Uni Students to cite Wikipedia itself, but follow the sources of the information.
    Well I hope then professor that you explain to your Uni students that again as on the Wiki I linked, and I confirm, that before 2008 food banks were "almost unheard of" in the UK.

Labour with Brown were in power then and whilst I wouldn't like to blame the concept of food banks wholly on them you do have to ask where the idea came from?

You don't have to look further than across the channel as to where they were invented. Their imposition on the British people, by Labour, probably at the behest of some obscure EU regulation is an outrage.

Another reason why the positive vote for Brexit was the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    It is actually a pretty universally accepted opinion that the UK struggles much more with poverty than the other western european nations, so you are going to have a hard time to get that message of yours sold to anyone outside the UK. I don't know what the general opinion within the UK is on it's relative poverty.

The fact that a large handout from the EU was offered, which in itself already shows how the EU feels about UK poverty, and refused most likely has to find it's cause in anti-EU sentiments to begin with. We wouldn't want people to know that they can only afford their pints and soccer tickets due to EU generosity, despite the UK's conservative economic policies.
    Over the past 5 years, food bank use has increased by 73% with 1.6 million 3 day food parcels distributed over the past year.
    https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-a...nd-year-stats/

With the born to rule tories set to have us tumble out of the eu, things will only get way worse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes ahem to you too.

From your own source, as usually it blows up right in your face:

Though Foodbanks were rarely seen in the UK in the second half of the twentieth century, their use has started to grow, especially in the 2000s, and have since dramatically expanded. The increase in the dependency on food banks has been blamed on the 2008 recession and the Conservative government's austerity policies. These policies have included cuts to the welfare state and caps on the total amount of welfare support that a family can claim.

Apparently, the will of the people in the UK is having not enough food.

- - - Updated - - -

Labour with Brown were in power then and whilst I wouldn't like to blame the concept of food banks wholly on them you do have to ask where the idea came from?

You don't have to look further than across the channel as to where they were invented. Their imposition on the British people, by Labour, probably at the behest of some obscure EU regulation is an outrage.

Another reason why the positive vote for Brexit was the result.
    Also in your link

The world's first food bank was St. Mary's Food Bank in Phoenix, Arizona, founded by John van Hengel in 1967.

Boy, you sure are bad at geography.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Starion, do yourself a favor. Log out and reflect on the decision of making a burner account just to spite and how pathetic it is.

It's not too late to turn your life around, visit friends, order some food, watch a game and you will sleep better (that night at least).
    This his 8th or 9th burner, goes the same way, it gets banned, his posts deleted then he comes back to spout some more corbyn fantasy land shit and a track the monarchy, Guys got issues, probly more when corbyn crashes a burns, this election should be a fee win for Labour after austerity but some how corbyns managed to drag the left I to the mud with torys.

The story that has really stood out to me in the past few weeks concerns Boris Johnson's reluctance to release the intelligence committee's report into Russian meddling in British democracy. At first glance i got the impression that said report would be damaging to the brexiteers, solely because solid evidence of Russian meddling could only serve to strengthen the argument for Brxref2. Over the past few days my understanding of the ramifications of the suppression of this report have come more into focus.

"Boris Johnson was on Monday night accused of presiding over a cover-up after it emerged that No 10 refused to clear the publication of a potentially incendiary report examining Russian infiltration in British politics, including the Conservative party.

Downing Street indicated on Monday that it would not allow a 50-page dossier from the intelligence and security committee to be published before the election, prompting a string of complaints over its suppression."
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...after-election

including the Conservative party are the four words i payed least attention to in media reports, but they are arguably the most telling of words, given further revelations in recent days.

"Boris Johnson's Conservative party has received donations from nine Russian donors, with suspected links to the Kremlin, according to an official report which has been suppressed by the prime minister.
    Boris Johnson's Conservative Party has received a surge in cash from nine Russian donors, who have been named in a suppressed investigation into Russia's attempts to undermine democracy in the UK.
    The report by Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee identifies close links between major donors to the Conservative party and the Russian government, the Sunday Times reports.

The report was due for publication this week but was blocked by Johnson, due to reported fears that the information would damage his chances of winning the upcoming UK general election.

Among those donors named in the suppressed report are Alexander Temerko, who worked for the Russian defence ministry and has previously boasted that the prime minister is his "friend".

Temerko donated more than £1.2m to the Conservatives over the past seven years."
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bori...remlin-2019-11

It is a truly awful state of affairs, and with Comrade Boris set to win the upcoming GE, i feel that the UK will be on a nose dive trajectory for the next few decades and will no doubt lead to the collapse of the UK as a single souvenir nation before all is said and done.
    Last edited by HugsForFree; 2019-11-18 at 09:57 PM.

Where did the "Prince is a pedo" thing even come from anyway? So far the only one pushing it is the guy who keeps getting banned who keeps claiming the high post count people, not the one spamming accounts, have no life.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Where did the "Prince is a pedo" thing even come from anyway? So far the only one pushing it is the guy who keeps getting banned who keeps claiming the high post count people, not the one spamming accounts, have no life.
    Prince Andrew has been called a paedophile since I was in school, so this is not recent revelations. The Epstein connection to him just solidified what was already pretty much commonly accepted and is what has recently raked the coals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by tharpaslas View Post
    Maybe. mr complete lack of self-awareness, you might reflect on the fact that wasting 10 fucking years of your life making 23000+ posts that no one reads, no one responds to, no one cares about is not exactly indicative of a productive life.

I really could not imagine a more pathetic waste of the time allocated to you by God, you could of written a great novel in that time, made a great advancement in medical science, solved one of the great mathematical theorems....but no, you chose to piss your life into the ether with a succession of tiresome posts about a video game you play too much of.

- - - Updated - - -

What the fuck is this? Is it some kind of word puzzle?

Listen, if you are still defending the monarchy even after the entire political establishment, right and left, has accepted that they are harboring a paedophile, I'd venture you have rather more issues than I do....

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. 15th. That's the best figure you can come up with. Jesus. You know I'm not generally a fan of the Americans politically but what I do like about them is their can-do and ambition. 2nd is last for them. The idea that 15th is somehow respectable for a nation like Britain is deeply sad.

And yes Britain did briefly lead the computer industry. There were millions of home computers in Britain the early eighties. I learned assembly language in 1983 before most people in civilized nations had even seen a programmable computer. Decades of incompetence by successive PM's of both parties destroyed that competitive advantage to the extent that there are many clueless people like you think it is a myth.
    ^10th burner now i think

dudes got issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Prince Andrew has been called a paedophile since I was in school, so this is not recent revelations. The Epstein connection to him just solidified what was already pretty much commonly accepted and is what has recently raked the coals.
    we did call him Randy Andy for a reason, hes always been an embarrassment that the queen has rightly kept away from the lime light. the burner boy just has a raging bolshevik hard on for corbyn, so they want any excuse to try and abolish the monarchy,

Quote Originally Posted by Starion View Post
    I have zero interest in abolishing the monarchy. I merely find your dick-sucking royalism pathetic. It is encouraging to see you get past that.

- - - Updated - - -

Previously from Monster Hunter:

This his 8th or 9th burner, goes the same way, it gets banned, his posts deleted then he comes back to spout some more corbyn fantasy land shit and a track the monarchy, Guys got issues, probly more when corbyn crashes a burns, this election should be a fee win for Labour after austerity but some how corbyns managed to drag the left I to the mud with torys.
    11th burner, god you have problems. im crazy curious just how many infraction points your main account must be up to by now.

also nothing crazy about my statement corbyn is crashing and burning based on the polls and public perception in the places i go, bar my hippy cousin who likes him but is still voting green.

this should be a free election win for labor we all know that, labor should be leading in the polls by a large margin, its rare as hell for a party to hold power this long no matter who they are or what they do, it will be nearly 20 years of Tory's by the time we get another election, but add on that most of that time was under austerity.... this and the last election was labors to lose. and that can only be layed at corbyns feet, a radical left wing manifesto might catch all the headlines and it might get all the uni students tingling with delight, but just like a far-right manifesto gets a daily mail readers dick up but doesn't translate to votes from the majority, so to does a far left manifesto sink at the voting booth. British politics 101 we stick around the center but never for the dead center, always has been that way and likely always will.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2019-11-19 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HugsForFree View Post
    The story that has really stood out to me in the past few weeks concerns Boris Johnson's reluctance to release the intelligence committee's report into Russian meddling in British democracy. At first glance i got the impression that said report would be damaging to the brexiteers, solely because solid evidence of Russian meddling could only serve to strengthen the argument for Brxref2. Over the past few days my understanding of the ramifications of the suppression of this report have come more into focus.

"Boris Johnson was on Monday night accused of presiding over a cover-up after it emerged that No 10 refused to clear the publication of a potentially incendiary report examining Russian infiltration in British politics, including the Conservative party.

Downing Street indicated on Monday that it would not allow a 50-page dossier from the intelligence and security committee to be published before the election, prompting a string of complaints over its suppression."
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...after-election

including the Conservative party are the four words i payed least attention to in media reports, but they are arguably the most telling of words, given further revelations in recent days.

"Boris Johnson's Conservative party has received donations from nine Russian donors, with suspected links to the Kremlin, according to an official report which has been suppressed by the prime minister.
    Boris Johnson's Conservative Party has received a surge in cash from nine Russian donors, who have been named in a suppressed investigation into Russia's attempts to undermine democracy in the UK.
    The report by Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee identifies close links between major donors to the Conservative party and the Russian government, the Sunday Times reports.

The report was due for publication this week but was blocked by Johnson, due to reported fears that the information would damage his chances of winning the upcoming UK general election.

Among those donors named in the suppressed report are Alexander Temerko, who worked for the Russian defence ministry and has previously boasted that the prime minister is his "friend".

Temerko donated more than £1.2m to the Conservatives over the past seven years."
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bori...remlin-2019-11

It is a truly awful state of affairs, and with Comrade Boris set to win the upcoming GE, i feel that the UK will be on a nose dive trajectory for the next few decades and will no doubt lead to the collapse of the UK as a single souvenir nation before all is said and done.
    Devils advocate

though I can see that it DEFINATLY had an effect on the brexit vote and we should hold a 2nd ref any way but especialy if Russian meddling was heavily involved (which imo is guaranteed, its fits there geopolitical aims to weaken the EU and UK and it was at the height of plaotical meddling by analytics company's anyway)

I'm struggling to see how it would effect Boris jhonsons rise to PM and the Conservatives winning as unlike America we have much more stringent election spending laws and non party campaign groups also need to be registered, further the Conservatives use single transferable vote (fucking sickens me that they use it but deny the people it for GE's) to elect there leaders and only Conservative MP's can vote, so unless Russia has alot of plants in Parliament already... Then im not certain what they can effect in regards to the Conservative party it's self.

As for the GE... I wouldn't be suprised of Corbyn's being paid to take a dive at this rate, bojo could do damn near anything and still get elected. Every time some one gets bojo by the short and curlys ms abbot seems to find her way in front of camera and blows any chance of lead up in a couple of stuttered sentences....

If any one lives in Norway, do you guys fancy retaking the north of England please. I know its been a while but we're ready to come home now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow. 15th. That's the best figure you can come up with. Jesus. You know I'm not generally a fan of the Americans politically but what I do like about them is their can-do and ambition. 2nd is last for them. The idea that 15th is somehow respectable for a nation like Britain is deeply sad.
    The US ranks 10th and on mobile 30th. Do you ever inform yourself about anything you're talking?

And yes Britain did briefly lead the computer industry. There were millions of home computers in Britain the early eighties. I learned assembly language in 1983 before most people in civilized nations had even seen a programmable computer. Decades of incompetence by successive PM's of both parties destroyed that competitive advantage to the extent that there are many clueless people like you think it is a myth.
    *chuckle* I am sure you're not pulling your numbers of out your ass again. So while the US had an estimated 600k of home computers the UK had millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    *chuckle* I am sure you're not pulling your numbers of out your ass again. So while the US had an estimated 600k of home computers the UK had millions.
    The UK were up to 13% of households that had home computers in 1985, as you can see from this.

I can't find numbers for households at that point, but it was around 24m in 1996. So if we assume it was 20m in 1985 that gives us about 2.6m households with computers. So yes, millions.

I'd be interested to see where your 600k number came from for the US. Were they really that far behind us at that point?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    The UK were up to 13% of households that had home computers in 1985, as you can see from this.

I can't find numbers for households at that point, but it was around 24m in 1996. So if we assume it was 20m in 1985 that gives us about 2.6m households with computers. So yes, millions.

I'd be interested to see where your 600k number came from for the US. Were they really that far behind us at that point?
    Home computing in the 1980s was really only a thing in Europe.

But the most common one was AMERICAN made C64. Spectrum, Amstrad, had a good showing (Amstrad bought out zx spectrum). Acorn and BBC were schools only so don't count. IBM was business only.

C64/Zx spectrum is why the games crash never happened here.

But sir dupesalot (people saying 10th burner but it's easily in Triple figures now) is vastly over stating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Home computing in the 1980s was really only a thing in Europe.

But the most common one was AMERICAN made C64. Spectrum, Amstrad, had a good showing (Amstrad bought out zx spectrum). Acorn and BBC were schools only so don't count. IBM was business only.

C64/Zx spectrum is why the games crash never happened here.

But sir dupesalot (people saying 10th burner but it's easily in Triple figures now) is vastly over stating.
    I'm not trying to defend that nutbag, but how is he overstating? He said there were millions, the numbers prove that yes, the UK had millions of home computers. And if that 600k figure for the US was true, we were well ahead of the world at that point.

Speaking as someone that has watched our IT base get decimated over the last 20 years in favour of whatever country is providing cheap coders this week, I find it all pretty sad. And the worst of it was done under the banner of New Labour, which is unforgiveable.

That's why I find it hilarious that we are supposed to be in a position of strength with any trade deal with India. They could just threaten to withdraw their tech support and our entire country would grind to a halt.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.