Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    And somehow lots of kids between ages 13-16 are already regular smokers.

Certain laws are just useless.
    That has always been shitty logic.

Murders still happen even though murder is illegal. Useless law...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I used to smoke cigars with friends when I was 18, 19, 20. We had a pretty good time, lounged around beaches, played games of poker, whatever. Pretty good time all in all. I don't suppose those sorts of things stand muster for the moral busybodies that are always up to these kinds of things, but oh well I suppose.

It is weird to consider humans that can vote or die in a war, but aren't fit to have a smoke to celebrate a victory.
    I assume you did not inhale them? Smoking cigars, according to the studies, have no significant more risk of cancer than those who do not smoke. Mainly because people generally do not inhale them. And there are benefits from smoking them because of the relaxing feeling they can give.

Anyway, I have no issues with Ohio changing the law to 21 for vaping products. Not that it will stop those who really want the crap anyway.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I wonder if other states will follow suits on this.

https://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-rai...ge-21#stream/0
    I hate cigarettes and I wouldn't mind if they are banned but at the same time if you're old enough to fight in a war you should be old enough to make your own personal choices that affect only you.

I think as the generations go by it's taking longer and longer for people to grow up because we keep treating them like kids. This is why you still have 30-year-olds living with mommy and daddy.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Should just ban it.
    That worked well when we tried doing that with alcohol.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should ban both of them, disgusting habits.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I hate cigarettes and I wouldn't mind if they are banned but at the same time if you're old enough to fight in a war you should be old enough to make your own personal choices that affect only you.

I think as the generations go by it's taking longer and longer for people to grow up because we keep treating them like kids. This is why you still have 30-year-olds living with mommy and daddy.
    I agree. If you are considered old enough to vote and also die for your country, then you should be allowed any substance which is available to the public as a lawful adult. To deny them is a perfect example of hypocrisy and some cases, can be unconstitutional in my opinion.

I stated in my earlier post in this thread, I had no issues with Ohio changing it to 21. I should have stated, no difference than the other laws concerning restrictions on some substances at 21. If you are a legal adult, then you should be treated like one.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-11-20 at 01:26 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    I wonder if other states will follow suits on this.

https://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-rai...ge-21#stream/0
    When I started smoking and drinking, I was 16. Legal ages were 18 for smoking, and 21 for drinking. Age limits won't stop someone who wants to do something.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    They should ban both of them, disgusting habits.
    So not because vaping is dangerous but because you find it disgusting? Seems silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So not because vaping is dangerous but because you find it disgusting? Seems silly.
    Where did I say to ban it just because it's disgusting? That's a different statement to them being banned.

Where did I say to ban it just because it's disgusting? That's a different statement to them being banned.
    Well we already know it is safe and the danger is way overblown by Americans. We have a plethora of studies from the EU showing as much. Meanwhile the USA gets made fun of for its bad reactionary nonscientific based approach. So what else could you take issue with?

Should just ban it.
    Nah I enjoy a good cigar every once and a while, no one lives forever anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I used to smoke cigars with friends when I was 18, 19, 20. We had a pretty good time, lounged around beaches, played games of poker, whatever. Pretty good time all in all. I don't suppose those sorts of things stand muster for the moral busybodies that are always up to these kinds of things, but oh well I suppose.
    It is weird to consider humans that can vote or die in a war, but aren't fit to have a smoke to celebrate a victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I assume you did not inhale them? Smoking cigars, according to the studies, have no significant more risk of cancer than those who do not smoke. Mainly because people generally do not inhale them. And there are benefits from smoking them because of the relaxing feeling they can give.

Anyway, I have no issues with Ohio changing the law to 21 for vaping products. Not that it will stop those who really want the crap anyway.
    I may be a bit biased against laws that directly impact my demographic, but even the laws by themselves don't even bother me as much as the implications they have. For example, a lot of hotels just outright reject 18-20 years old because they tend to serve alcohol and don't want to be hit with steep fines if someone is caught underage drinking or gambling. This extends to soldiers, married couples and even people traveling for work. So you have cases like this:
    Cpl. Hayden Harrington, who was reportedly on his way back to base this week in Oklahoma after spending a few days with his family in Danville, New Hampshire, found himself stranded in Charlotte, North Carolina, after his flight was cancelled.

So, with the help of the USO he reserved a room at the Baymont Inn And Suites near the airport, but when he arrived at the hotel, Harrington, 20, claims that he wasn't allowed to officially book the room due to the fact that he is under 21, WPVI-TV reported.

The staffer at the desk was reportedly unaware that active military personnel are not held to the same rule that those booking rooms must be at least 21 years old, according to the Army soldier's mother, Pamela LaPrell.
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/2015/0...-not-honor-you
    Fortunately, some hotels are starting to make exceptions to soldiers, but this isn't an absolute.
    These rules actually screwed me when I was younger. I just got out of Basic Training and was driving from Missouri to New York. I wasn't informed I has two days to make it there, I thought I had to report the next morning. I stopped in PA to sleep a few hours and I get to a hotel. I go to check in and they ask me for ID and I give them my Military ID. The lady goes, "Sorry, you have to be 21." I state, "I'm falling asleep at the wheel, I have to be at my duty station by 7am, I just need a few hours." I was denied again. I ended up having to sleep out in the parking lot in February.

I get the liability of it all, but I'll be damned if that left a bad taste in my mouth for a while
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TalesFromTh...21_to_checkin/
    It's pretty disheartening that US soldiers stationed in foreign countries are often treated with more dignity than they are back home. The people who support these laws are rarely ever the people impacted by them.

EDIT: Speaking directly about smoking/vape bans, I remember learning about a guy in CA who had to resign as CEO from his own vape company which he co-founded, because he was only 20.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-11-20 at 02:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    prohibition doesn't work

Should just ban it.
    What will that solve? You think tobacco will just magically disappear if it's illegal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well we already know it is safe and the danger is way overblown by Americans. We have a plethora of studies from the EU showing as much. Meanwhile the USA gets made fun of for its bad reactionary nonscientific based approach. So what else could you take issue with?
    Well recent studies seem to disagree, but I mainly have an issue with smoking itself, vaping is not as bad.

Well recent studies seem to disagree, but I mainly have an issue with smoking itself, vaping is not as bad.
    Post them please

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    You can vote, get a job, pay taxes, join the military and die for your country but don't you dare pick up that death stick or drink for 3 more years.
    Personally, for the sake of consistency, I would regulate obtaining certain full time jobs, joining the military (and thus the possibility of die for your country) to the same age as Smoking/Drinking Alcohol.

Either you are an adult at age 18, or you are not. Screw this entire "you're old enough to be trusted to do this, but not old enough to be trusted to do that" bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Post them please
    I'm no advocate of the studies, but a quick google search brought this one back https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_in...g-disease.html

Too lazy to delve any deeper. I take it you're a vaper and are personally offended or something?

I'm no advocate of the studies, but a quick google search brought this one back https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_in...g-disease.html

Too lazy to delve any deeper. I take it you're a vaper and are personally offended or something?
    You call me lazy and post this... this is precisely what the eu was making fun of the USA for. And the cdc and fda came out with a press release linking all damages to ILLICIT cartridges of thc using vitamin e and another ingredient I don’t recall, that lead to the deaths. You don’t know wtf you’re talking about do you?

Literally another poster already addressed this.

“Vaping is dangerous! It kills! Albeit it only kills people in America... also only people vaping thc.. also only people buying illegal street carriages” but clearly the issue is vaping? The fuck...
    Last edited by Themius; 2019-11-20 at 05:38 PM.

We should do what the Great Mayor Adam West did, raise it to 50!