Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Bad dialogues that don't feel natural because it's written to explain things to the viewers instead of making characters say things someone would naturally say in that situation, doesn't even matter if the script is good enough or not to actually convey the information correctly, they just double down on it with cringe dialogue that has no credibility.
    This happens all the time in anime and its annoying. Just have a narrator that explains it rather than pretending that this could actually be a conversation characters would have. It's so immersion breaking having two people talk about super basic information about their identity that shouldn't be a conversation. Like "who's our boss again? What's our organization called and what do we try to do again?"... ugh..
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-11-24 at 12:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "killer/monster/deadline is approaching but the car wont start" cliche.

It's a completely hollow, inexplicable attempt to insert artificial drama into a situation and makes the situation all the more predictable when the hero/heroine inevitably starts the car at the last second and gets away anyway.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

what I really hate is when minions, lackeys, henchmen don't even have one line of dialogue in the movie/episode while the big bad guy makes a monologue every scene he appears in.

narration in a movie is seldom used to be innovative and most of the time, it's just used to help setup the stage for people to understand what the first scene will be about or what they should be expecting to happen/appear.

1. Willhelms Scream! But i like it kinda. Always watch out for where it pops up.
    2. That the sexuality of a character if different than the norm has to be a big plot point. John is gay and married to Peter who is over there. They are two (insert TV Profession) which is the focus story. Not the being gay part. Done. But noooo... it always has to be a dramatic coming out story or stuff like this.
    I get that people reacting badly to it is an easy way to make a character unlikable... but come one...
    3. Also exposition, gasping, complete overreactions, stupid protagonist and wobbly eyes in anime... kills the whole genre for me.... and lolis. Just creepy how people get turned on by oversexed little children... animated doesn't matter... see a little girl in anime she always moans and flsuhes like a animal in heat...
    Last edited by VinceVega; 2019-11-24 at 12:50 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    How come this thread went to the 6th page without nobody mentioning the american flag waving in the back during emotional and decisive moments ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll only attack anime despite it being my most watched content.

1. Main character has some dark, inner evil that is crazy strong. It makes appearances by taking over the main characters body even if briefly and during that time whoever the main character was struggling against gets dummied. Eventually is main character learns to control this power.

2. Power of friendship manages to help the hero overcome his enemy. Despite clearly being weaker the power of friendship is what gives the main character enough power to fight even with or beat the enemy he is facing.

3. Time skips to allow the main character to go from semi useful to omg amazing.

People slicing through plate armour like butter despite them supposedly being "normal" humans.

Old heroes that get called back are either in some deserted woods building a cabin with their own hands to prove their manliness, or they are in some bar drinking themselves to death. (With the added option of getting in a barfight, usually with a guy who is being a prick to him or some random lady at the bar.)

Everyone always uses a sword for some fucking reason, because it looks more heroic I suppose. There are very few exceptions to this. It's either a sword or some over designed weapon that would never work. Unless you're an orc or some brutish type, then suddenly it is reversed and swords are no longer allowed and you are forced to use the biggest mace or axe possible.

Gray/white starships with gray/white interiors, seriously, I hate this. I didn't mind so much back in the days, but does every ship have to look the same? You're not all star wars. It's why I don't like sci-fi most of the time. Use some colour.

People missing with guns for minutes on end. Just don't have a shoot-out if you don't feel like getting characters killed.

The damsel in distress has to beat up one or two guys before the movie ends. In high heels, and often by making a show out of it by cutting her hair off or ripping of her dress or something similar. I like women who can kick butt if their character suggests that is something they would/could do. But that spoiled princess who has never broken a nail, let alone fought someone. It's not character development if she suddenly is strong enough to roundhousekick what may as well be a bear to her. Make her a fighter or make her helpless, you can't have it both ways. If you want to switch it from one to the other that better be damn well earned. This can be done, and could be done interestingly, but it usually isn't.

Doctors/scientists are not just great at their own field, no, they are a genius in any scientific field ever..and can usually "hack" for some reason.

I defeated the main thing, so the entire army/treath is destroyed. This goes for a lot of things. I killed the leader so the army will retreath. I destroyed the main computer so the entire fleet/ all of the robots will blow up for some reason. Destroying the leading bug so the entire army of hive mind bugs will forfeit/die off.
    Last edited by glowzone; 2019-11-24 at 02:02 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Anyone else feel like Black Panther could have been resolved much more peacefully that way?
    My first thought was Ant-Man 2. I liked the movie for the most part but just saying "if you wait a day we'll try to help you. We INVENTED the thing you're trying to steal just for an ATTEMPT to fix yourself with it!"

Black Panther had a little bit of that, had T'Challa just told W'Kabi that Killmonger was the dude who freed Klaue in the first place. But it didn't bother me as much because SO much of Ant-Man 2 relies on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syphke View Post
    willhelm scream for sure
    I am the exact opposite. I love it every time it's included. Bonus points if it's complete overkill for what the hit was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    This happens all the time in anime and its annoying. Just have a narrator that explains it rather than pretending that this could actually be a conversation characters would have. It's so immersion breaking having two people talk about super basic information about their identity that shouldn't be a conversation. Like "who's our boss again? What's our organization called and what do we try to do again?"... ugh..
    A well written story will show the reader/ irate all those things without ever saying it
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

One of my biggest complaints is how characters, who are SUPPOSED to be super-competant, highly trained individuals....somehow lose all ability to think logically and use basic motor function when confronted by anything out of the ordinary. Oh I slipped on some blood! I dropped my weapon! My KNIFE jammed and I can't use it!

Another one that really bugs the living shit out of me is whenever someone in a movie needs to destroy a computer, they shoot the monitor screens. I mean...come on! What? Why?

Actors...male OR female(but usually women) who are supposed to be super-strong, super-trained, badass fighters or otherwise hardcore physical adepts.....have no muscle tone, and move like someone who only took 2 weeks of "training" instead of being life-long warrior. Rey in Star Wars is a perfect example of this. Grows up underfed, constantly struggling to survive, goes through some modicum of jedi training, but still looks soft and has combat moves that look more like someone trying to play Dance-Dance-Revolution than a trained martial artist guided by the force. Make fun of Adam Driver all you want for that shirtless scene, but at least he put on some muscle mass and fights with a style that emphasizes power-based moves.

Oh, but my number one, biggest complaint is about "Shakey-Cam(tm)" used to create a feeling of action. Fuck shakey-cam. It's a cheap tactic used to cover up poor cinemetography. Yes...let's just put multiple 30 second clips of "action" where no one can actually see wtf is going because the screen is shaking and blurring so much. GENIUS!

Do you know why I go to an action movie? To SEE action! Not an impression of action. Not a "feeling" of action. I want to see stunt-men/women doing crazy moves! I want to see amazing car chases! I want to see displays of fight choreography so clean that it makes me want to learn kung-fu!

What I don't want is to have to sit through a blurry mess of random frames while "exciting" music plays and the field of view is so zoomed in that not even a strong-AI could make sense of it.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2019-11-24 at 02:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stupid sitcoms where a little misunderstanding that could be explained in 30 seconds leads to 22 minutes of hi jinks.

Male and Female leads that have to have a undertone of sexual tension.

Moral of the Story Nonsense

Pretending a lead character is going to die who is contracted for multiple seasons

Example ( Is Voyager going to be completely destroyed) In the first few episodes.

Reality TV shows with an entire fucking camera crew pretend they don't know where the other person being followed by a fucking camera crew is.

Pretending people are in mortal danger on a taped reality tv show, (Survivor, Ghost Hunter, Property Brothers) lol!

Hospital Medical Drama shows (Looking at Grey's Anatomy, Chicago Med, The Good Doctor, The Resident) where the show is really about the lead characters spending more time fucking other doctors than focusing on anything medical.

Cop shows with a Book Writer, Psychic, Billionaire consultant.

Cooking shows with failed B and C Actors or celebrities who call themselves foodies now.

Cop Shows

Reboots
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    How come this thread went to the 6th page without nobody mentioning the american flag waving in the back during emotional and decisive moments ?
    As an American, this is sometimes cringeworthy to me. I'm all for the flag being presented as inspirational... when it actually means that, but it seems like it has lost all meaning. It has instead become an excuse to justify a cult like blind reverence for the flag and the military. People say "America is great", but they don't really seem to understand why it was, instead only saying so out of obligation "because that's what Americans do".

Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    Everyone always uses a sword for some fucking reason, because it looks more heroic I suppose. There are very few exceptions to this. It's either a sword or some over designed weapon that would never work. Unless you're an orc or some brutish type, then suddenly it is reversed and swords are no longer allowed and you are forced to use the biggest mace or axe possible.
    Halberds need some love. Halberds are awesome!

Gray/white starships with gray/white interiors, seriously, I hate this. I didn't mind so much back in the days, but does every ship have to look the same? You're not all star wars. It's why I don't like sci-fi most of the time. Use some colour.
    One of the things I liked about Firefly is how comfy the interior of the ship was. It felt warm and cozy. You'd think more people would want to decorate the inside of their ship to make it cozy, but it seems in film that never happens.

I defeated the main thing, so the entire army/treath is destroyed. This goes for a lot of things. I killed the leader so the army will retreath. I destroyed the main computer so the entire fleet/ all of the robots will blow up for some reason. Destroying the leading bug so the entire army of hive mind bugs will forfeit/die off.
    99% of the time, it feels like the writers want some, imposing army for the heroes to fight against for the sake of drama, but they don't know how to show the heroes plausibly defeating that army. Really does feel cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    One of my biggest complaints is how characters, who are SUPPOSED to be super-competant, highly trained individuals....somehow lose all ability to think logically and use basic motor function when confronted by anything out of the ordinary. Oh I slipped on some blood! I dropped my weapon! My KNIFE jammed and I can't use it!
    To be fair, people are only human. If a cop was confronted by a monster, their first instinct is to be terrified, not to go "I'm so badass I will instantly recognize it and know what to do!". They should, at the very least, gasp, or be shocked at first, not immediately opening fire upon sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Hospital Medical Drama shows (Looking at Grey's Anatomy, Chicago Med, The Good Doctor, The Resident) where the show is really about the lead characters spending more time fucking other doctors than focusing on anything medical.
    Goodness gracious, that was pretty much the B-plot of episodes of House.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How every "badass" Woman seems to have one side of their head shaved. It's so cliche at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    To be fair, people are only human. If a cop was confronted by a monster, their first instinct is to be terrified, not to go "I'm so badass I will instantly recognize it and know what to do!". They should, at the very least, gasp, or be shocked at first, not immediately opening fire upon sight.

No. Full stop.

First off, the average cop is not a highly trained individual, despite whatever propaganda you might have seen in movies or TV. A few, like SWAT, have extended training, but most beat cops hardly have anything other than the most basic of training. I'm not talking about NPCs like that. Besides which, if that's portrayed correctly, then so be it. The NPC gets eaten by a monster. Fine.

What I'm talking about is a completely immersion-breaking series of events. The worst case of this was in Aliens Covenant. The infamous "slipped on blood" scene where not one, but TWO people lost their footing on the same blood pool. Followed by the most unlikely series of blunders and absolute unbelievable incompetence which lead to the entire evac shuttle exploding. Seriously....what the hell was that even supposed to be?

It just gets tiresome seeing this trope. The writers/directors want to make something seem exciting, so they have the characters do stupid shit that no one would ever do, panic or not. Contrast this vs "Aliens", where almost every marine did just about everything right, given the bizarre circumstances, but still lost. Not because of plot device incompetence. But because they simply were overwhelmed. And EVEN THEN, in the face of betrayal by the corporate idiot, they STILL managed to keep their shit together enough to get some people out alive.

The first Predator movie is another good example of doing it right. Trained, veteran mercs in a situation no one could plan for. They don't panic. They just try their best to GTFO of dodge and get taken down DESPITE their training and proper response.

It's just funny seeing what could otherwise be good action/suspense movies get ruined by characters doing things no one would ever do in a million years. It's immersion breaking. It completely destroys any suspension of disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    How every "badass" Woman seems to have one side of their head shaved. It's so cliche at this point.
    Hey! Natalie Dormer made that haircut look GOOOOOOOD! Then again....she'd probably look good with any haircut. So...yeah..... >_>

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm watching Killing of a Sacred Deer right now and this is fucking painful. Autism the Movie.

I hate overused autistic behaviour in movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Scenes that involve "hacking" and look like this:

I knew your father, he was a good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    the bad guy is actually just misunderstood... and a villain because of circumstances...
    like... fuck this shit. its a movie, not real life. can u imagine if Sauron "was just misunderstood, with a different point of view"? pff..
    Bad example you made there. We got Sauron's backstory in the Silmarillion. He originally was hard on the order side of the order/chaos continuum, and seeing how messed up the world was he sided with a guy he thought was going to help bring order to it while the rest of the gods were willing to sit on their hands and watch. By the time his boss was beaten he'd done some pretty messed up stuff and surrendered, but was told he was going to have to be punished for what he did, no freebies. He clearly didn't want that, ran away, and suffered several thousand years of motive decay before we got to the LotR.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

People running away from something or someone in a rush while crossing a street. No matter the movie, no matter the genre, I always expect a bus/car/truck to hit the runner.
    Last edited by Malacrass; 2019-11-24 at 05:27 PM.

Little girl kicking big bodybuilders ass because of girlpower.