Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Sure, but only like one (Zelda) can be put into the "serious" category. If there are more (made by Nintendo), feel free to fill me in, but my point was more about it being Nintendo, than non-serious.
    Mario..?
    Pokemon?
    Smash?

All of those have a pretty hardcore fanbase.
    Then you also have the spinoff series like:
    Mario kart, mario party, luigi's mansion, Yoshi stuff

Or the more casual, but still good games like Animal Crossing.

Or the 2nd party games like:
    Fire emblem
    Xenoblade
    Daemon x machina

You not liking the games is one thing, but to deny that any of those games, especially the Nintendo ones, aren't "hardcore" is delusional

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You not liking the games is one thing, but to deny that any of those games, especially the Nintendo ones, aren't "hardcore" is delusional
    Mario is one of the most hardcore ran speed series in the world of speedrunning and Smash is one of the most widespread competitive console games... the guy is delusional, like 100%

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol the only hardcore gamers are PC users, and nintendo is the least serious out of any console. Its family/kid console.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Mario is one of the most hardcore ran speed series in the world of speedrunning and Smash is one of the most widespread competitive console games... the guy is delusional, like 100%
    "Speedrunners" are 0.0001% of the market. The switch is mainly marketed for families and kids, with millenials that grew up on these games thrown in as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kid friendly:

Mature gamers only:

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    "Speedrunners" are 0.0001% of the market. The switch is mainly marketed for families and kids, with millenials that grew up on these games thrown in as well.
    The switch is marketed to whoever wants to play it, our friend group is between 25 and 50 and we all have a switch.

Pokemon hasn't been "just for kids" for years, if it ever really was.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    If we were in 2006 with the Wii I would say yeah sure. We're 13 years later and you're completely wrong about the Switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Lol the only hardcore gamers are PC users
    Not remotely accurate. Playing on console doesn't mean you aren't "hardcore" in the slightest.

and nintendo is the least serious out of any console. Its family/kid console.
    That has uncensored games, unlike PS4.

That has sexually charged games like Bayonetta, funded by Nintendo.

That has hyper-violent games (even if they're trash) like Devil's Third.

That apparently has a high attach rate for software sales, and I doubt kids are driving that spending.

Nintendo's core audience isn't kids. It hasn't been for decades. It's a mixture of the more demographically desirable teenager plus all the adult Nintendo fans over the years who grew up on the consoles.

MK8, BotW, and Mario Odyssey all had 50%+ attach rates as of last year in the US. That's half of everyone in the US that owned a switch owned those games. That's fucking massive, and the kind of attach rate that Sony or Microsoft would murder to have for their first party titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not remotely accurate. Playing on console doesn't mean you aren't "hardcore" in the slightest.

That apparently has a high attach rate for software sales, and I doubt kids are driving that spending.

Nintendo's core audience isn't kids. It hasn't been for decades. It's a mixture of the more demographically desirable teenager plus all the adult Nintendo fans over the years who grew up on the consoles.

MK8, BotW, and Mario Odyssey all had 50%+ attach rates as of last year in the US. That's half of everyone in the US that owned a switch owned those games. That's fucking massive, and the kind of attach rate that Sony or Microsoft would murder to have for their first party titles.
    Not gonna get into the whole games that aren't actually nintendos but are available on the switch which are 10x higher quality on their original format argument. I could play witcher 3 on switch, but why in the fuck would I when its on PC? Of course everyone with a nintendo owns the nintendo games.. its all they have other than low quality ports ..

I liked wiiu to play mario kart with my niece and nephew but that's about it, the fuck is on switch that I can't get anywhere else in much higher quality? Mario, Smash bros and zelda were so nintendo 64 ago.

the fuck is on switch that I can't get anywhere else in much higher quality?
    I mean I would list the games but then this post would be longer then the great wall of China. There is almost a switch exclusive game released for every month the Switch has been on the market lmfao.

I could play witcher 3 on switch, but why in the fuck would I when its on PC? Of course everyone with a nintendo owns the nintendo games.. its all they have other than low quality ports ..
    People that want to play that on the go. It's a technical feat regardless that they got it working on the hardware.

Nintendo won't and doesn't want to compete against PS4/Xbox for cross-platform AAA releases. But that hasn't been their bag since what, the Gamecube/N64 days? They haven't competed in that space for ages, and they don't have to. And it's done extremely well for them.

I liked wiiu to play mario kart with my niece and nephew but that's about it, the fuck is on switch that I can't get anywhere else in much higher quality? Mario, Smash bros and zelda were so nintendo 64 ago.
    And yet Mario, Smash, and Zelda are all selling like gangbusters on the Switch. So I'm not sure what your point is other than you incorrectly think Nintendo is still "Kidtendo".

15+ Year Old Account
    Not gonna get into the whole games that aren't actually nintendos but are available on the switch which are 10x higher quality on their original format argument. I could play witcher 3 on switch, but why in the fuck would I when its on PC? Of course everyone with a nintendo owns the nintendo games.. its all they have other than low quality ports ..

You complain about low quality ports when bleach is just a low quality naruto

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Yep...I mean, yes I have a high end gaming PC. I have a 6700k/1080ti (and it was built in 2015, with the GPU in 2017 - I just haven't upgraded for a few years because I haven't needed to - there haven't been any games demanding enough that are any good that I need to upgrade for). Yes, I use it for games that just aren't available on the Switch (Resident Evil 2 and 7, and the upcoming 3). But I have a hell of a lot of Switch games too, and being able to pick up the thing and take it to work with me beats 1080p+ and 60+fps in a lot of cases. I elected to play Spyro on the Switch instead of the PC for that reason.

But sure, gaming PC's are a lot better, get you MUCH improved visuals, higher resolutions, and higher framerates. But the portability tradeoff sometimes swings in favor of the Switch even if the games don't look as nice. ESPECIALLY for indie games where they are identical. And with the "AAA" industry only churning out garbage now, the Switch is becoming my platform of choice even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Yep...I mean, yes I have a high end gaming PC. I have a 6700k/1080ti (and it was built in 2015, with the GPU in 2017 - I just haven't upgraded for a few years because I haven't needed to - there haven't been any games demanding enough that are any good that I need to upgrade for). Yes, I use it for games that just aren't available on the Switch (Resident Evil 2 and 7, and the upcoming 3). But I have a hell of a lot of Switch games too, and being able to pick up the thing and take it to work with me beats 1080p+ and 60+fps in a lot of cases. I elected to play Spyro on the Switch instead of the PC for that reason.

But sure, gaming PC's are a lot better, get you MUCH improved visuals, higher resolutions, and higher framerates. But the portability tradeoff sometimes swings in favor of the Switch even if the games don't look as nice. ESPECIALLY for indie games where they are identical. And with the "AAA" industry only churning out garbage now, the Switch is becoming my platform of choice even more.
    Switch is also great when the power goes out for an extended period lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Switch is also great when the power goes out for an extended period lol.
    Better watch out, dude probably gonna tell you you're not a "serious gamer" if you don't use a generator to keep your pc going lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Better watch out, dude probably gonna tell you you're not a "serious gamer" if you don't use a generator to keep your pc going lmao.
    Hardcore gamers obviously have a windmill farm to power their PC when the grid goes down.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a collection of hamsters running on a wheel that keeps my power on throughout the gamer nights jam packed with the latest call of duty, cool ranch doriots and original gamer approved flavor of monster, all bought from my local winco

You missed the point entirely. I'm not talking about physical copies of games vs downloads. I don't really care too much about that. I'm talking about streaming, where you don't have the content at all and are dependent on the internet. I don't even stream TV shows and movies...I either get DVD's or just donwload things. Either way, everything is stored locally and I don't need internet to watch my stuff.
    And so you're not the target market for Stadia.

The Switch is an actual gaming device. Games run on it. I can be somewhere without internet and still play my games. And the 1080p or lower argument is because the Switch is PORTABLE, and that portability is worth trading graphical features for most of the time. For the games it isn't, I have a gaming PC.
    And for the majority of the market that has internet, internet isn't a problem. Internet connectivity is only going to get better over time, not worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Wat

No really, wat? How is the Switch not for serious gamers?
    Compared to the other options, no. And don't confuse serious, with popular. Nintendo has a loyal fanbase. It isn't as powerful as a system as either Xbox or PS, because that's not Nintendo's focus. As such, anything that can run on the Switch, can easily run on the Stadia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    And so you're not the target market for Stadia.

And for the majority of the market that has internet, internet isn't a problem. Internet connectivity is only going to get better over time, not worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Compared to the other options, no. And don't confuse serious, with popular. Nintendo has a loyal fanbase. It isn't as powerful as a system as either Xbox or PS, because that's not Nintendo's focus. As such, anything that can run on the Switch, can easily run on the Stadia.
    You people can keep saying we arent the target audience till the cows come home but history has shown time and time again if your hardcore early adopters arent buying, it will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Sure, Bing. I brush it off because their cons are unrealistic and they did no real testing, at least nothing they can show. Competitive gamer and iOS are cons?
    Feel free to read more than one review. There are a lot of reviews that state that the Stadia works.

Either way, they claim to have access to more processing power than a well equipped gaming PC is stupid. Anyone who knows anything about computing knows that a data center CPU is not necessarily faster than a desktop CPU, unless you have certain work loads. If you're compiling the Linux kernel, then yes it'll be faster. If you're playing a game though it will always be faster on a desktop CPU, because desktop CPUs are the best at serial work. This is literally what John Carmack said recently.
    The video uses a lot of grey wording. "The processor that you end up using in high-end gaming systems are in many cases the fastest or in all cases closest to the fastest in certain serial applications"

Certain. Not all.

Furthermore, a high-end PC definitely outperforms a console. So Stadia can offer the computing of the highest end machine, for a fraction of the price. A lot will depend on how they plan to harness the computing power.

Being appealed doesn't mean its been fought and won. As it stands the French court see digital downloads as ownership. If this catches on to other countries then no, you do indeed own digital downloads.
    We'll indeed have to wait and see, but since EU trumps France, it's pretty likely this will get tossed when it moves up the chain.

Last I checked you still need a thin client like a phone, which is way more expensive. Stadia doesn't run off air ya know.
    I can buy a TV 32" TV for under $100. So no, no matter what your comparison, Stadia is cheaper for a few years at minimum.

Congratulations, you're one of the few people that haven't. I haven't had a broken PC in the last decade but personal experience doesn't mean jack statistically.
    So what's your statistical data showing the rate of phone damage from playing games?

How does one replace Stadia? If your phone breaks does Stadia work fine? Stadia doesn't work off nothing ya know.
    Same way you would use your PC if your monitor fails, or your console if your TV fails.

Projecting growth is silly when we're about to approach the end of the PS4/XB1 console cycle. Nobody truly knows how the next gen consoles will grow, if at all. Also what growth? Only the PS4 did well this console cycle selling 102 million units, which is exceeding the 80 million PS3 units sold from last generation. The Xbox One is probably 40 million units, but sales are so bad for Microsoft that they're keeping that number a secret. So far the Xbox One is half the sales of the Xbox 360's 80 million units sold. As amazing as the Switch is at 38 million units sold, it pales in comparison to the Wii which sold 101 million units.
    Do you get tired of moving those goal posts so often? You were wrong. you even proved yourself wrong. PC gaming is a fraction (half, as you already showed) of console gaming, both of which have been losing market share to mobile / tablet games over the last 5 years. It isn't a trend that is likely to change anytime soon.

The graph shows that the entire console market is 12 billion ahead of PC, which means if you add the PS4+XB1+Switch then they're a bigger market.
    Yes, console is a bigger market than PC. I never argued any single console is bigger than PC, just that the console maket as a whole is bigger.

That doesn't make PC gaming look bad at all, though I should add that the gaming market as a whole isn't as good as it used to be. I wonder if Loot boxes and micro-transactions have driven people away?
    The overall gaming market has shown year over year growth. Please clarify the bold statement.

The mobile market is fueled by people who lack free time, which is common nowadays. That doesn't make them casual, just people who are unable to sit down and play games at home.
    Can you back up that assumption? Because I can guarantee you it's 100% incorrect. A lot of people mobile game because that is the gaming method they actually
    prefer. Some people just like them. Others enjoy them for their portability.

Personally, even when I have free time at home, sometimes I'll play a mobile game.

If what you say is true though, then Stadia should be a godsend, as now they can play real games instead.