How to get rank 10 as a casual

Hey!

Curious if anyone have some advice on how i can reach rank 10 as a casual. Currently decay seems to stop me in my tracks completly at rank 4. Did 130 k honor last week as horde. Will this calm down abit? Can i get rank 10 before the summer by playing like this, or does the equation just not add up since ppl are pvping alot more than me?

It will calm down a little as more and more ppl realize how the ladders work amd give up. But if you cant get past rank 4 now, you will never hit rank 10. Gonna have to get a 500k+ per week for a while and then push even harder for a couple weeks. Gets narrower and narrower at the top and a lot of ppl want rank 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Gonna have to get a 500k+ per week for a while and then push even harder for a couple weeks. Gets narrower and narrower at the top and a lot of ppl want rank 10.
    What's the 500k for? Is that the current requirement on your server faction to hit top 100 standing?

I play on Alliance pve, played semi-casually last week, got 150k and placed 504. If I do the same amount this week, my standing should rise, as a lot of my faction only played to get the Stormpike Exalted gear last week. Is your 500k an absolute number for reaching a certain standing?

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    What's the 500k for? Is that the current requirement on your server faction to hit top 100 standing?

I play on Alliance pve, played semi-casually last week, got 150k and placed 504. If I do the same amount this week, my standing should rise, as a lot of my faction only played to get the Stormpike Exalted gear last week. Is your 500k an absolute number for reaching a certain standing?
    500k is an estimate. Top earners are getting more than 1mil a week. It's all relative to the rest of the server. If the player has been consistent and is only at rank 4 now, they will not hit rank 10 without increasing honor gained.

10+ Year Old Account
    500k is an estimate. Top earners are getting more than 1mil a week. It's all relative to the rest of the server. If the player has been consistent and is only at rank 4 now, they will not hit rank 10 without increasing honor gained.
    Is calculated rank points relative to just the weekly honor points of the population, or their total existing rankpoints? Or both?

Step 1, be Alliance on Flamelash.
    Step 2, rank up quickly with little competition.
    Step 3, transfer to a server that isn't dead.

Quote Originally Posted by braus View Post
    Hey!

Curious if anyone have some advice on how i can reach rank 10 as a casual. Currently decay seems to stop me in my tracks completly at rank 4. Did 130 k honor last week as horde. Will this calm down abit? Can i get rank 10 before the summer by playing like this, or does the equation just not add up since ppl are pvping alot more than me?
    No 8-10 hrs per day minimum required.

Quote Originally Posted by Classy View Post
    Step 1, be Alliance on Flamelash.
    Step 2, rank up quickly with little competition.
    Step 3, transfer to a server that isn't dead.
    Don't know if you can rank there as alliance as you need atleast a few 100 active rankers to fill all the brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    Is calculated rank points relative to just the weekly honor points of the population, or their total existing rankpoints? Or both?
    Basic summary:
    14 ranks. Rank 1 just requires 15 hks. Rank 14 requires 60000 ranking points.

There are 14 brackets for RP gain. Highest person each week gets 13,000. Lowest person gets 0. There is a gradient in between.

Examples of breakpoints for bracket. Bracket 14 requires you to be in the top 0.3% bracket 10 requires top 6%. Bracket 5 requires top ~43%.

There is a decay each week. Some intricacies to it but you lose 20% of your Total RP each week and then new RP you earned gets added. So if you are rank 10, with 40,000 RP, and you have earned enough honor to place you in bracket 12 (10,000 rp awarded), you would first lose 8k RP (20% of your 40k), then gain the 10,000 RP, placing you at 42k RP. So as you can see, the higher rank you have, the more total RP you have, the decay hits harder. So you have to place in higher and higher brackets just to advance or even maintain your rank.

General rule, find out which bracket you are consistently in. That is the rank you will eventually settle into. Example, you gain ~5000 rp each week (before decay). That's bracket 7. If you keep that pace up, you will settle somewhere around rank 7.

Hey!

short answer - you dont.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Basic summary:

There are 14 brackets for RP gain. Highest person each week gets 13,000. Lowest person gets 0. There is a gradient in between.

Examples of breakpoints for bracket. Bracket 14 requires you to be in the top 0.3% bracket 10 requires top 6%. Bracket 5 requires top ~43%.

There is a decay each week. Some intricacies to it but you lose 20% of your Total RP each week and then new RP you earned gets added. So if you are rank 10, with 40,000 RP, and you have earned enough honor to place you in bracket 12 (10,000 rp awarded), you would first lose 8k RP (20% of your 40k), then gain the 10,000 RP, placing you at 42k RP. So as you can see, the higher rank you have, the more total RP you have, the decay hits harder. So you have to place in higher and higher brackets just to advance or even maintain your rank.

General rule, find out which bracket you are consistently in. That is the rank you will eventually settle into. Example, you gain ~5000 rp each week (before decay). That's bracket 7. If you keep that pace up, you will settle somewhere around rank 7.
    WOWWWW, classic people about to get OWNNNNNNDEDEDEDEAD - that grind sounds literally impossible for almost any wow player - I guess maybe if all you did was pvp, didn't have a job, and slept maybe like an hour a night?

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    WOWWWW, classic people about to get OWNNNNNNDEDEDEDEAD - that grind sounds literally impossible for almost any wow player - I guess maybe if all you did was pvp, didn't have a job, and slept maybe like an hour a night?
    Ya, and it's all competitive too. So on some servers having 300k honor could be enough if that was the highest number earned. Bit top brackets gonna be around 1.5mil because someone is gonna grind it out 24/7.

Rank 13 requires 55000 RP. So of you are rank 13 and want to hit 14, it takes 4 to 5 weeks of being the top 0.3%. You are losing 11-12k a week to the decay. So you have to be in the top 0.3% each week to be the one gaining 12-13k RP. So net 1-1.5k to gain.

If you take a day off, amd fall from top 0.3% into the 0.8% bracket. Your progress stalls for an entire week. If you took 2 days off and fell to the 2% bracket, you add an extra week just to get back to where you were. Very unforgiving system being up that high

10+ Year Old Account
    it's probably pretty easy to maintain a lower rank, around 3-5 as long as you PVP some each week. The higher ranks are (and were at the time) practically abusive as a system because of the flat percentage decay. It's obviously not a system that they thought about a lot or they would have done the decay as a curve.

I personally would not try for rank 10 as a casual, atleast not on a high/full realm. Many people claim it will be achieveable if you play 2-3 hours a day, but i think it will be a long time before that is actually the case, maybe in a year, when many people have already gotten the rank they wanted, and the people who gave up are still long gone - they may have the same idea tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Basic summary:

Great explanation, it really clarifies the decay problem.

I have read elsewhere that it should be easier to climb brackets in the future, as the active pvp communities dies down AND players that finally reach rank 14 buy all their stuff and de-rank. But yeah, it will be months before that becomes a meaningful amount of players.

Hey!

First week of bg opening is probably the worst time there will ever be to farm rank, because almost everyone did it, even those who wanted solely the rep from av basically fucked up rankings.

It really comes down to how hard other people go for it. 130k per week sounds a too little, if you have a lot of people who are also going for it then no way.

Last week I did almost 200k in many hours of av (mostly afk) and got from about 60% in r3 to 15% in r4 ... so yeah .. fuck that shit
    Last edited by kranur; 2019-12-19 at 08:58 PM.

Youd be surprised at the amount of neckbeards playing this. I saw one guy with -88 at the end of his name (so supposedly 31 years old) bragging in other thread how he is farming honor for 16 hours per day. Made me actually feel kinda bad for him, because I highly doubt life is enjoyable in the long term with such lifestyle.

Hey!

For now,you won't,but after some point it's going to get easier.
    Even just this week a lot of the PvP tryhards gave up since they ended up not ranking or even downranking regardless of how much they farmed AV.that'll keep happening and it'll make getting there a bit easier