Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    By using Darth Vader and Sith inquisitors to hunt down anyone that even breaths something similar to the word jedi.
    How'd that work out for China?

And, as mentioned previously, this is the same show that just canonized the Dark Saber into live action. You know, the Mandalore equivalent to Excalibur. Forged by the founder of the Mandalores, who happened to be a Jedi. And a weapon used to slay countless Jedi, which is how it got its reputation amongst the Mandalorians. For that specific purpose. Slaying Jedi. And it's a massive, major, huuuuuge relic to Mandalorians, who undoubtedly passed on its legacy.
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2019-12-29 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Except Jabba and Luke and Han knew who the Jedi were, a mere 8 years before the Mandalorian series takes place.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never met a UN Peacekeeper or diplomat....

...I'm pretty sure most of the world has heard of the UN though, even in information-locked North Korea.

- - - Updated - - -

The Mandalorian is well traveled and has met many people. Sure, *some* people may not know who the Jedi are. Most people, in fact, might not know the intricacies of the Jedi Council or how it operated or who any individual Jedi might have been. But if some people knew it, and it was actually true, it would be an oral history that pervades society. That's just how culture and history works.

Consider Naboo. The events of Naboo are now 40 years in the past from The Mandalorian. The Gungans fought a giant battle at the urging of two Jedi, the same two Jedi helped rescue Naboo's Princess who was later installed as a Senator when their current Senator became Supreme Chancellor. Do you think it possible that no one on Naboo knows who the Jedi are? If not, do you think it unreasonable the general outline of Jedi would be known to the average citizen, whether they believed it or not (like Han)?

Stories permeate cultures organically, and, as every despot in the history of the 'verse has found out, unstoppably. You can't stop the signal, Mal.
    Just some nitpicky points to make, don't know that Han had heard of Jedi before he met Obi-Wan, but if he did, it would most likely be through Chewbacca, who was pretty old at the time. This is a decent example of how the knowledge would be lost, because Chewie presumably could tell Han some pretty detailed information about the Jedi, and Han clearly dismissed it out of hand. Like most of us, he doesn't believe in what he has never seen. Magic powers especially.

Jabba is many hundreds of years old, and the head of a criminal organization. Quite different from a gutter level bounty hunter, even a well traveled one.

Your comparison to firefly is useful, the 'verse consists of maybe a couple hundred planets. In the context of Star Wars that could be a tiny forgotten backwater. Stories may permeate the culture, but in a culture built on tens of millions of planets with conservatively thousands of trillions of beings, there would be a lot of culture to both hit and miss. It's truly not that hard to believe some people wouldn't be exposed to some parts, especially factoring in the probability of an organized misinformation campaign predating even the Clone Wars.

Someone else pointed out that Jedi would be specifically relevant to Mandalorians, and if these mandalorians shared more than superficial similarities to the ones we've seen before, I'd agree, but they seem to be quite different. Either a lot has been lost, or they were always very separate from the main culture.

We've almost always seen Star Wars from the perspective of people who were Jedi-adjacent, this is just a different view of it. The people responsible for it are clearly well versed in the lore, and they think this is possible. It's not like, say, a JJ Abrams movie where it's pretty clear the lore is based on vague memories of films watched a long time ago; people like Filoni were responsible for creating much of the lore which now defines the setting. They whipped out the Darksaber for pete's sake. Will have to agree to disagree on the believability of this.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Sidious desecrated the temple and made it the seat of the Empire.
    I came across that information, a while after my post, and it's eu, or on par with eu...I don't consider it canon...hell, I don't even consider the latest trilogy to be canon.

Two contradictory things can't be both canon, because they cancel each other out...to me eu is a bunch of "What if?..." where the writers don't have to give a single fuck if what they add contradicts previous stuff...

So, the archive has lore going back thousands of years, past the old republic, past the age of sith rule etc, only reason it's been around is, well, it's a source of information that helps whomever is in power, Palpatine was really into discovering ancient lore as we saw in for example star wars rebels, the idea that he would wake up one day n decide to smash it speaks more about writers making shit up so they get a pay-check..

The archives contain information about ancient jedi temples, holochrons, important artifacts (all that can help dig up any surviving force users, or where they could congregate new ones, but to dig them out one has to keep all this treasure trove of information intact), sith knowledge, it all intertwines, so you cannot just hit delete button without hurting yourself..and it would take forever to make sense what to do with it, an adult would understand that...it's just as much a Sith Archive...
    As for that librarian lady, yeah she would never have acted the way she did, she was very calm speaking of count dooku, and controlling herself, she must believe to maintain the archives is paramount that in the end things will change and at that day, there will be an archive there waiting. So, she can't lash out like some butthurt teenager would...she can't break her profession's own code, and especially not in a place such as that.

Look at latest movie, freaking kylo ren n rey can fight each other even though they aren't in the same location...somehow palpatine n darth vader never thought about that...but emo teen kylo ren could use that power...dear god in heaven that's so stupid..
    Ghost Luke can interact with the real world...and somehow we don't have thousands of sith dead long ago not haunting the galaxy angry for revenge...yet Yoda can dismiss darth bane cuz he's dead n thus not a threat any longer..

If the possibility to interact with reality existed, darth bane would have acted fer sure

How can I even accept everything that's labeled canon to be canon even if I wanted to when it contradicts with itself? How do I believe in two things at the same time that cancel each other out?...at the end of the day one ends up settling for one or another..There's one type of canon, made by adults that try to follow a set of rules, and then there's Orangutan canon, made up by idiots that throw in shit "hey, this seems cool, lets just throw that in there, fuck lore!"

It's canon cuz Kathleen Kennedy says it is? Try to quiz her on what is or isn't canon, she'll fail. Trick question, take two examples that cancel each other out, ask her which one is canon, she'll not figure that out, and if you point it out she'll probably just shrug...

Star Wars is in the hands of people I wouldn't trust to run a small library, much less a billion dollar company...
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-12-29 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Stormtroopers barreling towards him. Next scene, he’s dead. Kind of implied they killed him, which is odd since the scene in the next episode shows them unable to hit a can 5 feet away. Funny scene, but takes away that they were able to hit him and not hurt the real target at the same time.
    There are a lot of theories out there that the force causes issues with their aim. This started in A New Hope when Kenobi talks about the precise blaster scorch marks on the Jawa vehicle and how only the Empire could do that. Just a little bit after that they can't hit Luke and Han in a hallway.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    While it is debated in this thread, we should accept it as true that (at least this group of) Mandoloreans don't know what Jedi are. You will probably not go searching for the ruins of a jedi temple if you don't know what Jedi are...

Of course, since Google wasnt invented in a time long long ago, and apparently it is not common knowledge about Jedi, his best bet might be to seek out the ancient Mandalore ruins that might shed light on the ancient sorcerers, which I honestly will find more fun than going to some libraries on Coruscant...
    Best way to find information is at the biggest library which usually is in every country in its capital. He doesn't need to know about the archive or jedi much, but common knowledge what world is the capital he must know, that would otherwise be like an American not knowing that Washington is the capital of the USA...

Wherever he goes, it must create tension for that episode, to keep people watching, if he goes to Mandalore he would need to run into some bad guys, like scavenger scum, people that are like Rey, stealing his people's stuff to sell for scraps...if he goes there, it would perhaps lead him to learn about the Mandalorian Jedi Tarre Vizsla, who created the darksaber.
    Din Djarin was rescued as a child by the Death Watch, and at that time they were led by Pre Vizsla who held the darksaber, Din Djarin might have seen it briefly as a child.

Mandalore was the capital of Mandalore space, not their only planet though, Klan Wren lived on the nearby world Krownest, which could still be intact if it was abandoned, maybe not all Mandalorian worlds were ruined..well, Mandalore was ruined already by the old republic that turned the lush planet into a barren desert...I suspect since Bo-Katan had all klans united, they would all defend Mandalore as a final stand, so with them loosing would abandon all worlds n scatter, maybe leaving many worlds intact to return to one day...it would suck if all their worlds have been scoured..
    Mandalore, Krownest, Kalevala, Concord Dawn, or some other world, he might find his clue somewhere

After this, he might go to Coruscant, to find the seat of power of the jedi, end up at the temple. So, there used to be librarian droids there, there might be living librarians there, would make sense that Palpatine would employ people to sniff out information that could benefit him. They could alert Moff Gideon of a Mandalorian's presence and Coruscant will hold the best paid n most dangerous bounty hunters there no doubt, as well must be a bunch of imperial sympathizers.
    How would Din Djarin gain entry, well, all he has to do is hold up baby yoda, should at least intrigue anyone there.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-12-29 at 01:16 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    China isn't a fictional universe? Nor did they have Darth Vader.........

And, as mentioned previously, this is the same show that just canonized the Dark Saber into live action. You know, the Mandalore equivalent to Excalibur. Forged by the founder of the Mandalores, who happened to be a Jedi. And a weapon used to slay countless Jedi, which is how it got its reputation amongst the Mandalorians. For that specific purpose. Slaying Jedi. And it's a massive, major, huuuuuge relic to Mandalorians, who undoubtedly passed on its legacy.
    Educate yourself before comparing the darksaber to the Excalibur.....

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darksaber
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2019-12-29 at 12:29 AM.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Best way to find information is at the biggest library which usually is in every country in its capital. He doesn't need to know about the archive or jedi much, but common knowledge what world is the capital he must know, that would otherwise be like an American not knowing that Washington is the capital of the USA...
    As I said, going to a library would be more boring than going to Mandalorian ruins. Not sure the ruins will fit into the cowboy themes, but when the cowboy needs to figure out why the indians are raiding a town, he doesn't hop on a train to NY to find the biggest library and research old books about relevant tribal regions in the area, so cool ruins seem more likely than a library across the galaxy.

Also, he's a Mandalorean, and I don't think he's going to the capital city of the Republic or Empire any time soon, but we'll see I guess.

Wherever he goes, it must create tension for that episode, to keep people watching,
    We don't really need to plot out the entire next season to find a reason why he might possibly at some point head to Coruscant to end up in the ruins of the Jedi Temple in hopes of finding a library droid to explain baby yoda...

I do wonder though, the former Empire folks really wanted baby yoda, so I assume the Empire doesn't know where Yodaworld is, though maybe they just can't get there. They didn't explain who the guys were guarding baby yoda in the middle of nowhere either, so it'll be interesting to see how plotted out the series is.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    There are a lot of theories out there that the force causes issues with their aim. This started in A New Hope when Kenobi talks about the precise blaster scorch marks on the Jawa vehicle and how only the Empire could do that. Just a little bit after that they can't hit Luke and Han in a hallway.
    I’m familiar with the theory, but it works in reverse for this episode. They hit their target while not injuring the cargo, then later on they can’t hit the tin can next to them. While the scene is hilarious, it begs the question: how were they able to kill anyone in the previous scene?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    China isn't a fictional universe? Nor did they have Darth Vader.........
    Your point being... what? Do try to read back over the conversation before continuing so as not to make a bigger fool of yourself, please.

Educate yourself before comparing the darksaber to the Excalibur.....
    I'm well aware of its history. And you do realize I didn't say it was Excalibur, just as important to the Mandalorian mythos as Excalibur is to Arthurian legend. You do know how words and ideas work, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Your point being... what? Do try to read back over the conversation before continuing so as not to make a bigger fool of yourself, please.

I'm well aware of its history. And you do realize I didn't say it was Excalibur, just as important to the Mandalorian mythos as Excalibur is to Arthurian legend. You do know how words and ideas work, right?
    You also stated it was "canonized into the live action" which makes zero sense as Clone Wars and Rebels were already canon. Live action isn't a separate canon. How do you canonized something already canon? So asking someone to understand how words work is funny when you have shown a clear lack of that in this very topic.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Ok, first things first ou need to calm down.

Secondly you should really go do some reading and investigations about China's propaganda machine - I'd start with the recent unrest in Hong Kong the underlying issues associated with it and those involved with the protests themselves. Specifically the staunchly nationalist Chinese youth groups that are pro-China's position in Hong Kong.

You'll find that by controlling the media, dissemination of information, the education system and historical records that China has completely eradicated local information sources about Tiananmen Square to the point where these youth groups don't even know what it is. That happened a mere 30 years ago now and there's an entire generation who have no knowledge of it.

This isn't strange or unusual, it's reality.

Why is Mando supposed to better than anyone? Theres no reason to think that. I also like the number of times he should have but didn't due to his armor. At least its visible plot armor.
    His training should put him above most.

Just binged thus. Pretty fun. Loved the speeder troopers trying to hit the "can". Funny commentary on bad stormtrooper aim.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Loved the speeder troopers trying to hit the "can". Funny commentary on bad stormtrooper aim.
    I've seen people complain about the scene, but honestly, I absolutely loved the way this was put together. It's better than any of the cheap comic reliefs in the movies, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I've seen people complain about the scene, but honestly, I absolutely loved the way this was put together. It's better than any of the cheap comic reliefs in the movies, that's for sure.
    I love how the one shook his blaster as if it was an issue with the weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You could say its inconsistent with how deadly off-screen troopers are but then I'd tell those people to lighten up.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    I love how the one shook his blaster as if it was an issue with the weapon.
    The whole thing reminds me of a Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game where you hang behind the stormtroopers and listen in.

You could say its inconsistent with how deadly off-screen troopers are but then I'd tell those people to lighten up.
    I would like to see stormtroopers being deadly onscreen sometimes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    The whole thing reminds me of a Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game where you hang behind the stormtroopers and listen in.
    Have you played Fallen Order? Lots of fun banter between troopers while fighting them and when you are sneaking by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    I would like to see stormtroopers being deadly onscreen sometimes though.
    Seeing Vader and the 501st in a skirmish together would be cool. Disney Vader treats stormtroopers like fodder though, so I'm not sure how that high he holds the 501st now. I don't think I'd want to see Vader tossing them around.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

...I'm pretty sure most of the world has heard of the UN though, even in information-locked North Korea.

Not really a valid point when comparing a planet to an entire galaxy.