Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What Nationality would you consider yourself?

Sometimes people identify where they are from, while others maybe where they lived or spent most of their time, others I think it can vary especially culturally, but since it comes up from time to time, I thought I would maybe ask.

What Nationality would you consider yourself?

I would say American Canadian since I have citizenship in both, however if I were to go by where I have lived, I think that could get a little tricky. In terms of my culture, I was born in Minneapolis and lived in the metro all my life, so I suppose if the Union ever broke up I might identify myself as Minnesotan or at least Minnesotan first.

What about you?

Also when people ask where you are from, how do you answer?

I say Minnesota because that is where I was born. As have many generation in my family before.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-12-30 at 06:40 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

I would say American Canadian since I have citizenship in both, however if I were to go by where I have lived, I think that could get a little tricky. In terms of my culture, I was born in Minneapolis and lived in the metro all my life, so I suppose if the Union ever broke up I might identify myself as Minnesotan or at least Minnesotan first.

What about you?

Also when people ask where you are from, how do you answer?

I say Minnesota because that is where I was born. As have many generation in my family before.
    Honest question; why embellish or qualify your national identity?

I'm asking since it seems to be a common occurrence on these forums. Some posters put in *a lot* of effort and constant reminders about their "unique" national status.

• Is it rooted in being unhappy with your current national status?
    • It is an attempt to gather more attention and not sound like a conventional gamer?
    • It is just part of the acquired gamer habit of embellishing the back story of your avatar? A way to to continue these power fantasies into the forums and otherwise alleviate boredom?
    • Other?
    Government Affiliated Snark

I am Canadian, born and raised here. I would not want to live in any other country and I have traveled a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post

I'm asking since it seems to be a common occurrence on these forums. Some posters put in *a lot* of effort and constant reminders about their "unique" national status.

• It is an attempt to gather more attention and not sound like a conventional gamer?
    • It is just part of the acquired gamer habit of embellishing the back story of your avatar? A way to to continue these power fantasies into the forums and otherwise alleviate boredom?
    • Other?
    I think that is a valid and good question, true it's a bit silly but I would say it leans more towards tradition. Some people take a bit of pride in their identity depending on where they are from, some maybe it's a way of as you point out a constant reminder of whatever contrast might exist between people considering these forums like everything else on the web can reach all over the world.

Personally I don't see it as a point of pride or contention, the question is simply about perspective, how do people see themselves since regional topics do tend to come up a bit.

Oh and of course if you mean me specifically my Avatar is from Superman LOL so this thread and my answer doesn't have shit to do with that
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-12-30 at 07:30 PM.

What? xD

Consider? You can consider yourself to be a nationality?

10+ Year Old Account
    American.

Even though I'm from Georgia (the state) I don't consider myself "southern."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    What? xD

Consider? You can consider yourself to be a nationality?
    Sure where you were born as a opposed to where you grew up, or maybe where you live now. Key point is "You"

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Sure where you were born as a opposed to where you grew up, or maybe where you live now. Key point is "You"
    Wtf? xD

You have nationality where you are citizen. This is not something you consider yourself to be. xD

• Other?
    Because some people are racist and by qualifying my posts by saying I’m half Indian it somehow gives me more credibility. It’s really fucked up tbh.

Swedish due to being born in sweden and grandfathers ancestor research showed us to be swedes since way back. Some parts of ancestors split and went to US.
    It's pretty boring tbh.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

A human that just happened to be born in the USA.

Technically american, I haven't really left my state except a handful of trips. Mentally, some days I wonder if I'm an alien, because this world is a loony bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

My parents are Greek-Hungarian.

I used to be British-American, but always identified as American.

I've dropped my British citizenship and obtained the Spanish one on the 4th of November after having lived in Spain for 11 years.

I love Spain, Spanish culture and the Spanish language, but I don't "feel" Spanish. I am basically Spanish-American now, and I broadly feel American-European (as I have ties and attachments to at least 4 different European nations).

I've always been keenly aware of how superficial the notion of national identity is, which is why I never understood how so many make their nationality, such a superficial trait, such a defining element of their personal identity. It's like as if in absence of a self, you adopt some nebulous notion of "nationality" as a substitute.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2019-12-30 at 09:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Consider?

I am Finnish, regardless of what I consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

• Other?
    You are heavily influenced by the culture you are born with. If you go to a different culture or interact with people from different cultures, you will hear concepts that you simply can't understand.

I am a Brazilian, from the south of Brazil (meaning my culture is closer to Uruguay and North of Argentina, aka gaucho). I am living in the Netherlands and I can apply for citizenship in three years.

I really like the American culture and system. I used to love British culture, but I have been distancing from it recently.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    same boat, i cannot consider myself something else than german.
    it is a boring genealogy, if all your ancestors are from germany and its former parts: in my case Silesia, now part of Poland.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am Québécois.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    <bungee checks passport> American, but I find it harder and harder to feel a strong connection to the way the US is going today in the aftermath of the WTC attack. Some people hyphenate to describe their identity using something like Irish-American. I'd have to say I'm American but an expat and part of that international community that falls into a grey area not fully one thing or another.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A US citizen. With family ancestry traces that go back to parts of England and Scotland. How far back? I do not know or do I care to know. I mean, if we can look back far enough, we all would be surprised I think.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much...

Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi