Poll: Main Faction of the Story

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    Plus a lot of night elf history here.
    One small detail, it is also blood elf story. Blood elves are descendants of highborne and for them Broken Isles was huge archeological site.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    In Legion the focus was on Alliance characters like Velen, or characters mostly affiliated with other characters in the Alliance or their race is part of the Alliance like Illidan and Khadgar.

In BFA the focus was mainly on Saurfang and Jaina. And later on Sylvanas and Anduin. Saurfang got 30mins or so of cinematic time and Sylvanas was developed into the one who's pushing the events of the new expansion. Also the Horde did more memorable (even if nasty) things like Teldrassil, Brennadam and Sylvanas ordered some plans like Baine's execution, leading the factions to Azshara etc. So I'd say BFA ultimately led to mainly Horde focus.

I think next expansion is gonna focus evenly on both factions, maybe a little Alliance leaning with Tyrande plot and the probability of having Arthas return as a hero.
    Last edited by Amaterasu65; 2019-12-31 at 07:25 AM.

The activision investors.
    (After vanilla, the story was swinging so much about who was "winning", but at start, in vanilla, it was the alliance.)

They're both severely under-developed these days, so probably Horde as it mostly exists to be plot device for faction wars.

The Alliance has more plot threads to larger threats but I'm doubtful we'll see those fleshed out anytime soon.
    Last edited by Niroshi; 2019-12-31 at 07:37 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    WTF did people all ready forget about world of orccraft and green jesus?
    world of killorccraft you mean? because they just killed almost all orcs, it only left like 2 "important" ones, majorly can bear one anymore and the other is senile, thats hardly horde favoritism.

They have a statue of an orc in front of their hq
    if it was not an orc it would be a human on a horse, and would be lame, like or not, humans are way more generic than blizzard version of orcs
    and the company band is horde. Power of the horde song hello?
    hardly mean the main faction is horde, metal band it is more akin to horde trash view of things
    cata, mop and wod
    only cata was an expansion more focused on the horde, and it was not because of thrall, Malfurion and firelands got the same "time" in spotlight, and tbf, thrall didn't much, it was him and other aspects

MOP was just evil horde, villains, and Wod was just shit on horde past lore
    Now it's world of undead elfcraft with legion, bfa and shadowlands
    world of elfcraft yes, they saw that you only need to put elves in things and people will eat all

The tuskarr will rise again
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

Considering this is an MMO, neither is supposed to be the main faction.

Effectivly and annoyingly alliance been to often the heroes and horde the villains and as a result alliance gives the feeling of being said main faction.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I don't think there's a "main" faction of the ongoing story, but I do think there's a strong narrative delineation when it comes to which faction essentially moves the plot along and which faction is more reactive. The Horde tends to be the more active element as they're the ones who tend to push the narrative along, acting without forethought, or opening hostilities. This is something pretty much carried forward from the halcyon days of WC1, when the Horde invaded Azeroth via the Dark Portal and kicked off the First War. I think the pattern is pretty strongly established that the Horde moves things along, from WC1 to WC2 and even WC3, where the Alliance quite literally follows and/or chases the Horde across the seas. Both factions get a strong focus on their doings, so I don't think either is relegated to background material, but the Horde is definitely the more proactive of the two (either by dint of hostility or just circumstance).

I don't think this is indicative of Horde bias, or favoritism, just that its easier to cast the Horde in the proactive role due to its nature - the Alliance's character doesn't really extend to being proactive, and it seems more or less quite content to just be and only reacts to external stimuli (such as Horde movement or outright aggression).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Originally both had their own stories to tell. Now I think I would say horde is the main faction since the Alliance is only used as a prop to further tell horde storylines.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

If they could get away with, I have no doubt that Blizzard would make the Horde the only playable faction, and have Alliance be an NPC faction that existed solely for whenever the Horde forgot what "honor" means to them. Again.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

here are so much idiotic statements or plain wrong facts.

first: Blizz is and was always a relatively Horde centered company, when you look at major named ppl there. Sometimes you feel that in game, sometimes not. In older days this was, besides other things, because of Metzen is a huge Orc fan. Nonetheless tried Blizz always to get both factions a spot. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

second: DEFINE „main faction of the story“. Is the answer to OPs question which faction had the front character (in that case Sylvanas), or get more time spend with story, or had more stories to tell, or had higher quality story ? This question is just idiotic and way too less excatly.

third: In my oppinion (and that are maybe the most important words here, because ppl act in this thread like the answer to OPs question is based on facts and not on taste, spoiler: its taste) BfA is relatively well balanced:

- Talanji and Rastakhan story was very well quality wise (see other thread with poll, it gots second place).
    - Jaina and Proudmore story was also very well quality wise (see other thread with poll, it gots first place).
    - Alliance had more small but funny stories.
    - Horde had main character of the story (Sylvi).
    - Both factions had their point of descission.
    - Both faction sucked in some corners, like the Layout of Baine and Saurfang stories, which are highly debatted. Or like Alliance descissions with Anduin, Nightelves, Tyrande and others, and the flat Layout of them.

This is based on my experience of 2 chars (one on each side) that raided every raid, did all the quest and have everything else complete. All in all i find BfA relatively equal (more than older xpacs) and can not decide what the „main faction“ should be. Maybe when looked at it from far far away, ppl could assume its Horde, because the main antagonist (Sylvi) is Horde. But thats way too flat thinking for my taste.

But all of this is just my opinion and how it felt to ME.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2020-01-01 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    If they could get away with, I have no doubt that Blizzard would make the Horde the only playable faction, and have Alliance be an NPC faction that existed solely for whenever the Horde forgot what "honor" means to them. Again.
    Dude, have you seen news recently? Alliance puppets are leading Horde currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Dude, have you seen news recently? Alliance puppets are leading Horde currently.
    Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get yet another bloodthirsty sociopath leading the Horde soon enough, and we can all look foreword to MoP 3/BFA 2 somewhere down the line.

And besides, my original point still stands. The Alliance wouldn't need to be a player faction for its NPCs to have a temporary hold over the Horde's reins.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

The Horde.

It is the one whose turmoils, choices and actions drive the story. Remove the Horde and there is basically no WoW, the Alliance being almost entirely reactive. Without the Horde there can be no Alliance.

Remove the Alliance and replace it by a random NPC faction and the Horde story would remain largely the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 sides of the same coin. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    The Horde.

It is the one whose turmoils, choices and actions drive the story. Remove the Horde and there is basically no WoW, the Alliance being almost entirely reactive. Without the Horde there can be no Alliance.

Remove the Alliance and replace it by a random NPC faction and the Horde story would remain largely the same.
    Agreed, I think that would work better than what the alliance is. But the horde needs an alliance giant to be able bring out the best in them, blizzard will keep the alliance for that purpose, to continue to show off the horde.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Horde gets the development and storytelling while Alliance gets the spoils

We had that with the "fist pump moment for the Alliance" with Metzen indirectly addmiting that horde gets the spotlight

SO horde gets the development, horde gets the story, horde gets the characters being diverse, then they realise they have to give SOMETHING to the Alliance so they give it rushed story, half assed character development and outcome of horde progression (victory in wars in soo/bfa)

Horde Bias has always been bullcrap. The world and story largely exist to give the Alliance a good story and appealing setting. How it impacts the Horde player experience and what they get up to, is the afterthought.

Counting villain stories that arise from within the Horde as Horde content, may give illusion otherwise. But that's saying Draenor was a Horde-favoring expansion, because of all the orcs. Even though the Alliance got some heavy content-favor in that expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Alliance.

Horde are just the generic baddies that have the honourable stupid sidekick element to keep them playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    The world and story largely exist to give the Alliance a good story and appealing setting.
    Then boy have they achieved epic failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/