Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Because now the Alliance have most of the eastern kingdom under control? (except Quel'thalas for now) And Kalimdor is a long way from the eastern kingdom, so they would be stretch too thin.

I am thinking a lot of ppl do not know a lot about strategy on these boards.

There would be some of a point here if the war was still ongoing. Anduin sent his people through a meatgrinder for a peace treaty. Quel'thalas is as far from being in danger of the Alliance taking it over as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

That is why taking Undercity was a smart move. Quel'thalas is too far to be a threat. And Darkshore is too far as well now to be an asset for the Alliance war machine.

5+ Year Old Account
    That is why taking Undercity was a smart move
    They didn't take !@#$, just a bunch of completely unhabitable, blight-infested ruins. In the meantime, they got a lot of good Alliance soldiers massacred because they forgot to bring their gas masks to the place where that gas is made. Yes, some Napoleon-tier tactician there.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Well we kinda have Liadrin x Lor Themar. Atleast he seems to have an good eye towards her.

Quote Originally Posted by faridle View Post
    Well we kinda have Liadrin x Lor Themar. Atleast he seems to have an good eye towards her.
    looking like Theron's eyes are going in another direction

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I'm really curious why there is so much hate for the elf/human relationships in the fan community of warcraft?

*snip*

Still, why the hate?
    You will go insane trying to understand the myriad of reasons people have for randomly hating shit. Literally insane.

Absolute waste of your time.

I know this is the Lore forum, but I've been wanting to play a half-elf in this game for many years. It was my favorite race in the Everquest series. They could be introduced with Bard, as Half-elves are commonly depicted as the Bardy type. Not holding my breath, but still hoping for it some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Because its shitty waifuism. You know that anime where guy from real world ends up in fantasy world and there are 10 bitches who instantly fall in love with him? Its the same thing. The sole purpose of those characters is to prove that human lead male is alpha chad.
    Well said, this is actually the root of the problem and the main reason why it's hated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Because now the Alliance have most of the eastern kingdom under control? (except Quel'thalas for now) And Kalimdor is a long way from the eastern kingdom, so they would be stretch too thin.

I am thinking a lot of ppl do not know a lot about strategy on these boards.
    Well, then why did the nelves are members of the Alliance anyways, because, you know, Kalimdor IS their homeland. Your answer is cynical, nothing more.
    And btw., there's nothing to "control" in Tirisfal, the undead around the Undercity and its ruins still don't answer to the human king. They have gained nothing. The human king, again, wasted Alliance lives for nothing.

They could instead have saved many nelven lives, which should have been their duty as nelves are their allies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    They didn't take !@#$, just a bunch of completely unhabitable, blight-infested ruins. In the meantime, they got a lot of good Alliance soldiers massacred because they forgot to bring their gas masks to the place where that gas is made. Yes, some Napoleon-tier tactician there.
    Thanks! They could have saved nelven lives instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Well, then why did the nelves are members of the Alliance anyways, because, you know, Kalimdor IS their homeland. Your answer is cynical, nothing more.
    And btw., there's nothing to "control" in Tirisfal, the undead around the Undercity and its ruins still don't answer to the human king. They have gained nothing. The human king, again, wasted Alliance lives for nothing.

They could instead have saved many nelven lives, which should have been their duty as nelves are their allies.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! They could have saved nelven lives instead...
    When could they have save those lives? During the burning of the Tree, the Alliance forces were not there because they were tricked by the Horde. So tell me when?

And I am guessing they are still quite a few ressources in Tirisfal and around. And that still removed a base of Operation for the Horde.

Not sure if hate, but it's overused to the point of it bein silly. Like all 3 sisters happen to like a human. And Nathanos is really like thrown in there - someone like Lor'themar would have made more sense. Or maybe I don't appreciate it as much because the other two couples seem to have gone through much more, based on the novels, while Nathanos has very little background (there's that one side story, but that's it).

And you know why it's even more weird? Because we don't have a half-elf race. Which means this is really supposed to be unusual / rare. But there we go, it's not rare at all.

I myself really liked Rhonin and Vereesa. The kids were just thrown in there to soften the blow of Rhonin's death. Could've done without them.
    I have mixed feelings about Alleria and Turalyon. I sort of liked them in the novels, but now they've changed them to suit the light/darkness trope and it kinda bothers me. Also, the whole Arator thing bothers me as well, with them both abandoning their kid out of the blue. I hate stories that invent kids, especially since I don't feel Arator added much to their story.
    I don't like Sylvanas and Nathanos. Mostly because I always saw Sylvanas independent and now there's this man always at her back. Meh.

Is it bad I knew what poster had made this thread befor opening it?

On topic: it's cringey, cliche, over done and tbh really creepy and gross. It's on the border of a trope and fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Well said, this is actually the root of the problem and the main reason why it's hated.
    Well I don't hate it, and I don't have sexual feelings or attraction for women - yet I like seeing mixed race relationships, it's such a poster child for love that triumphs of prejudice and hate.. and it has no organised politcal agenda to it.. (like a certain multi-lettered movement today, most of us a sick of hearing about and just wish they'd shut up already even some of us who've identified with them.. sheesh)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Is it bad I knew what poster had made this thread befor opening it?

On topic: it's cringey, cliche, over done and tbh really creepy and gross. It's on the border of a trope and fetish.
    But warcraft hasn't shown any such signs of fetishsm or creepy grossness in the content of the characters' relationship, which makes me think tha tthe extreme negative reaction is prejudiced based against the hentai/waifus in the pop culture rather than what is actually shown in warcraft.

Is it only the devs that think it's popular and like it? or do quite a lot of the gamers like it? Are you a male nerdy geek under 30? That gets of on this? (like I imagine Stuart type people from The Big Bang Theory might be)?

People want originality when it its insanely difficult to achieve. They instead hate on tropes that do exist because repetitive things are met with negative response despite World of Warcraft has virtually everything from adapting tons of other sources.

Rarely is an alternative offered that can work within the narrative frame... And be aware of things like of psychology and attraction that subconsciously we all adhere to because its easier not to think about potential relationships, that should rationally connect to the lore and work within the existing parameters of story.

I don't pretend to be a beacon of Warcraft knowledge but characters do serve a greater purpose, as do relationships. Issue with Warcraft is they don't concern themselves with the inner workings of them and if they do, its so lightly touched on that in fact, is a thinly veiled means to drive narrative. That's because first and foremost, this in a game and the lore, narrative, etc was evolved as a secondary platform.

It is odd that three sisters all have Human partners but each had their own evolving story. It seems that this has happened because there were very few female, Elven characters as a dominant presence in the lore and one by one were sent off to their Human partners for the sake of story. They were just there to utilise and happened to be all related.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2020-01-03 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Well I don't hate it, and I don't have sexual feelings or attraction for women - yet I like seeing mixed race relationships, it's such a poster child for love that triumphs of prejudice and hate.. and it has no organised politcal agenda to it.. (like a certain multi-lettered movement today, most of us a sick of hearing about and just wish they'd shut up already even some of us who've identified with them.. sheesh)

- - - Updated - - -

But warcraft hasn't shown any such signs of fetishsm or creepy grossness in the content of the characters' relationship, which makes me think tha tthe extreme negative reaction is prejudiced based against the hentai/waifus in the pop culture rather than what is actually shown in warcraft.

Is it only the devs that think it's popular and like it? or do quite a lot of the gamers like it? Are you a male nerdy geek under 30? That gets of on this? (like I imagine Stuart type people from The Big Bang Theory might be)?
    This trope tends to be pushed by creppy guys who fetishism fictional chars so it has gained that reputation.

No I don't like it I think it's a weak and tierd trope no one with any level of maturity finds fascinating.

Considering the number of threads you make in this type of topic, I'd recommend you do some re evaluating on whats actualy a healthy and interesting thing to be fascinated by.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-01-03 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

5+ Year Old Account
    @Evangeliste if the "Windrunner syndrome" was depicted as a triumph of love over racial prejudices, as you say, it might be ok, depending on how they tell the story. After all, who doesn't like to see a happy couple?

The problem is that 1) that WC humans rarely, if ever, have an anti-elf prejudice, and vice-versa (except maybe OG nelfs). And 2) more importantly, elf/human pairings are supposed to be extremely rare (if Tolkien is any hint), and usually carry a great deal of sorrow for the elf. But in Warcraft, the opposite is true, so the cliche gets really cumbersome, so to speak.
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2020-01-03 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    @Evangeliste if the "Windrunner syndrome" was depicted as a triumph of love over racial prejudices, as you say, it might be ok, depending on how they tell the story. After all, who doesn't like to see a happy couple?

The problem is that 1) that WC humans rarely, if ever, have an anti-elf prejudice, and vice-versa (except maybe OG nelfs). And 2) more importantly, elf/human pairings are supposed to be extremely rare (if Tolkien is any hint), and usually carry a great deal of sorrow for the elf. But in Warcraft, the opposite is true, so the cliche gets really cumbersome, so to speak.
    I am just curious, how long does an elf live in wow? A mage as well has a long life like in any other fantasy history or just a regular human lifespan?
    Last edited by Specialka; 2020-01-03 at 02:36 PM.

For the most part, Night Elves in Warcraft are the ‘Square One’ elf as I shall call them.

Basically, they were out doing their thing creating magic wells, hugging trees and nearly welcoming in the Apocalypse before anyone even went “Whats a Blood elf?”, mostly because there were no blood elves yet.

Then the apocalypse is averted and there is a schism between two of the surviving night elf groups; the Kaldorei with their druid magic and the Queldorei with their arcane magic. Given this could not be mended because Malfurion and Tyrande were laughable inept in politics, the Queldorei went “Screw you guys, we’re going to go make our own nation.”

From there, Queldorei moved to the other large continent and built their nation, creating their own magical well and started preferring the Sun over the Moon. Over this process, they shrank to being human sized and their skin color became pale (and magic addiction set in because of their massive use of magic)

Then Arthas came by, devasted their people being a evil guy of Undeath and mustache twirling (yes, he was at this point). Prince Kael’thas returned to see this and renamed those who survived the Sindorei (blood elves). KT then went on a road trip and left Lorthemar to rebuild the people (and in the process become the accidental benevolent military dictator). All while the humans proved the Alliance was in fact absolutely no better than the horde and decided to commit atrocities because they couldn’t be bothered to tell their racist bastards ‘No.’ (the story of WoW basically)
    Last edited by Alma Dely; 2020-01-03 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    People want originality when it its insanely difficult to achieve. They instead hate on tropes that do exist because repetitive things are met with negative response despite World of Warcraft has virtually everything from adapting tons of other sources.
    This makes me kinda think, what do people think Warcraft is? it's always been popular tropes, in a cheesy but enjoyable standardised format for it's world. If they hated tropes so much why get into its lore? but then because it's lore is so diverse, I guess you are going to like something and hate others, and still end up liking it overall despite the pet peeves.

Rarely is an alternative offered that can work within the narrative frame... And be aware of things like of psychology and attraction that subconsciously we all adhere to because its easier not to think about potential relationships, that should rationally connect to the lore and work within the existing parameters of story.

I don't pretend to be a beacon of Warcraft knowledge but characters do serve a greater purpose, as do relationships. Issue with Warcraft is they don't concern themselves with the inner workings of them and if they do, its so lightly touched on that in fact, is a thinly veiled means to drive narrative. That's because first and foremost, this in a game and the lore, narrative, etc was evolved as a secondary platform.
    Well said, and this leads to the feeling of it been a bit too shallow. You definitely notice this in characters, but not them alone, in races too, especially after profound events that you know should change the belief and culture of arcane radically, and yet it's either not explored, or shown but not delved into enough.

The same goes in the books, for all the many pages, you still don't come out with the feeling that this is a real world, for the lack of depth and detail in areas whethat are needed to transition your ind from the scaled down in -game format to a more realistica format. The Last Guardian by Jeff Grubbs is one of the only Warcraft books that Azeroth actually felt like a real world and not video game world, but then the way he presented the places, the people etc in his descriptions made it feel read. Golden seems good enough at exploring certain inner thoughts and developments this is what I love most about her, her adventures with Thrall were well done making him feel real, relatable and alive, but her world visualisation and activity pacing are not that great in her books, so much so that Thrall felt real, but the rest of the world didn't feel so at all.

It is odd that three sisters all have Human partners but each had their own evolving story. It seems that this has happened because there were very few female, Elven characters as a dominant presence in the lore and one by one were sent off to their Human partners for the sake of story. They were just there to utilise and happened to be all related.

Agreed, I don't think blizzard made a joint effort and decided, oh, look, elven female character, we have to pair her with a human, and then did so every time as some sort of fetish thing, even if it comes across like that to some. I think your explanation is much closer to the truth. I mean what do some of these guys think of the actual developers? (obviously not very highly, by the sounds of it)

When could they have save those lives? During the burning of the Tree, the Alliance forces were not there because they were tricked by the Horde. So tell me when?

And I am guessing they are still quite a few ressources in Tirisfal and around. And that still removed a base of Operation for the Horde.
    There is still the War of Thorns. And it's not only about Teldrassil, it's about Darkshore and Ashenvale, too.

Despite that, Alliance hardly has any forces to spare to keep any territory, let alone conquer and establish new bases. And the point remains: Night Elves are members of the Alliance which means there is an obligation for the Alliance to support and allie under attack by the Horde.